[NickolasJames8] On the Bank

Guest Kitty

This thread is for the discussion of the Spring 2007 Anthology story On the Bank by NickolasJames.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

This thread contains details about the story. Be forewarned, in case you haven't read it yet. :D

Guest Kitty

The special mystery writer of the reviews for the Spring Anthology didn't want to write Nick's for some reason 0:) and asked me to sit in for him. So here goes ....

I hope I don't embarrass you when I say this, Nick ... but your writing just gets better and better. Although you started out a year or so ago focusing on the trials and tribulations of gay teens (and one gay teen in particular ;) ), you are challenging yourself to stretch beyond the usual "coming out" story to encompass things that are part of the universal human condition. That's always a big risk, but a necessary one for any writer or artist (or in life, come to think of it.)

As I read your latest GA anthology submission, the thing that struck me immediately was how well it showed what's going on in the minds and hearts of the characters. Very cleanly written, focussing the readers' attention on what you're trying to show us.

I could give a little synopsis of what happens in this story, but really, it's about situations that any human can relate to -- having to deal with change, make decisions that affect others, and learn to relate to the people we love -- played out in one day in the life of a teen. It's a good story on any level at which one wants to read it, from the surface story to the deeper meaning.

Kitty :)

Hey Nick,

I agree with the others. Your literary growth is admirable...as is your name. Are you morphing into Nicholas James Taylor?

The story was beautifully expressed and the conflict emoted gut-wrenching images - the protagonist not wanting to let go of his first love is a tale we all know. The added ingredient of two parents not intentionally expressing their love was very believable. I would like to think that the mother was merely parroting a verbal discharge when she was talking on the telephone.

Nice job!

Jack B)

• Site Administrator

Congratulations, Nick!

A beautiful, well-crafted tale. Everyone has growing up experiences and you've captured one perfectly. I also related to the parents because I've seen too many parents like that. There are a lot of people who have trouble showing emotion, and that's what I saw. They care, but they never say it and only show it indirectly.

I'm pleased with David's dad, though. He realised what his son needed, and gave it to him. Changing the habit of a lifetime isn't easy, and all three of them will have a lot of growing to do as they settle into the new family dynamics. Special kudos to Aaron for making it happen, too.

:2thumbs:

Good story, Nick! :2thumbs:

Being an only child myself, I quickly identified with David and his relationship with his parents, though I wasn't showered with "proofs" of their love. I think it's hard for an only child to fit into a family, especially when his friends have siblings. From what I remember, I was the only kid in my neighborhood and grade that didn't have a brother or a sister.

I was certain David came out to his parents when he went into the living room to discuss things, but was very pleased when David said that didn't happen. To know his parents really did love him took a great burden off his shoulders and made for a good happy ending.

And, Aaron, well, I'm not certain I'd have let him off so easy. Making up supports a happy, syrupy ending, but sometimes a slap in the face makes you feel much better.

Keep up the good writing, Nick!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

That was an interesting story! Ending the love relation with Aaron and at the same time, re-start the relation afresh with the parents. No wonder, David was so confused. I think that his parents were always here for him. Perhaps in a different and less affectionate way, but they were there. Perhaps, blinded in his love with Aaron, he didn't notice their little signs of love. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Great job, Nicholas! By the way, I would like to know your views in this story. It's always great to hear from the writer!

Take care,

Ieshwar

Hi,

That was an interesting story! Ending the love relation with Aaron and at the same time, re-start the relation afresh with the parents. No wonder, David was so confused. I think that his parents were always here for him. Perhaps in a different and less affectionate way, but they were there. Perhaps, blinded in his love with Aaron, he didn't notice their little signs of love. Anyway, that's my opinion.

Great job, Nicholas! By the way, I would like to know your views in this story. It's always great to hear from the writer!

Take care,

Ieshwar

Thanks Ieshwar! I really appreciate the feedback and your thoughts on the story. I think that in a way, you hit the nail on the head. David's mom and dad probably were being loving towards him, but he had other ideas for how they should have shown their love. I also think you're right about being so wrapped up in his love of Aaron that he couldn't see what he had right in front of him, even if it wasn't everything he'd hoped for.

Good story, Nick! :2thumbs:

Being an only child myself, I quickly identified with David and his relationship with his parents, though I wasn't showered with "proofs" of their love. I think it's hard for an only child to fit into a family, especially when his friends have siblings. From what I remember, I was the only kid in my neighborhood and grade that didn't have a brother or a sister.

I was certain David came out to his parents when he went into the living room to discuss things, but was very pleased when David said that didn't happen. To know his parents really did love him took a great burden off his shoulders and made for a good happy ending.

And, Aaron, well, I'm not certain I'd have let him off so easy. Making up supports a happy, syrupy ending, but sometimes a slap in the face makes you feel much better.

Keep up the good writing, Nick!

I kinda agree with you there, but I also had to stop and think about things from Aaron's perspective. I didn't really give his character a lot of time and attention, and I didn't want him to come off as the villian in this, so I was sure to give him and David a little closure

Very well done Nick. Your writing can really make you see what you are reading.

You keep growing as a writer. :2thumbs:

Dont ever stop writing.

Bret

Even if my fingers get chopped off in a terrible accident involving steel cut oats and a jar of soy sauce?? :lol:

Just kidding, Bret :hug: Thanks for always supporting me as a friend and as a reader

Congratulations, Nick!

A beautiful, well-crafted tale. Everyone has growing up experiences and you've captured one perfectly. I also related to the parents because I've seen too many parents like that. There are a lot of people who have trouble showing emotion, and that's what I saw. They care, but they never say it and only show it indirectly.

I'm pleased with David's dad, though. He realised what his son needed, and gave it to him. Changing the habit of a lifetime isn't easy, and all three of them will have a lot of growing to do as they settle into the new family dynamics. Special kudos to Aaron for making it happen, too.

:2thumbs:

Yeah...Aaron sorta came off as the hero in this story, didn't he?? Thanks for checking my story out, Graeme :)

Hey Nick,

I agree with the others. Your literary growth is admirable...as is your name. Are you morphing into Nicholas James Taylor? The story was beautifully expressed and the conflict emoted gut-wrenching images - the protagonist not wanting to let go of his first love is a tale we all know. The added ingredient of two parents not intentionally expressing their love was very believable. I would like to think that the mother was merely parroting a verbal discharge when she was talking on the telephone.

Nice job!

Jack B)

:pickaxe: Not quite....I give him props because he helps me write a lot of the stuff I send in. He worked with me on Bodega Bay and to be honest, most of the first chapter of that story came from his twisted brain. I just took the ball and ran with it when he decided that he didn't want to deal with 29 more chapters :)

Nick, this is stellar. I've said it before, let me say it again: I want a signed copy of your first book!

Camy B)

:hug: Camy, if I get published someday, not only will you get a signed copy, but you'll get the first signed copy :)

The special mystery writer of the reviews for the Spring Anthology didn't want to write Nick's for some reason 0:) and asked me to sit in for him. So here goes ....

I hope I don't embarrass you when I say this, Nick ... but your writing just gets better and better. Although you started out a year or so ago focusing on the trials and tribulations of gay teens (and one gay teen in particular ;) ), you are challenging yourself to stretch beyond the usual "coming out" story to encompass things that are part of the universal human condition. That's always a big risk, but a necessary one for any writer or artist (or in life, come to think of it.)

As I read your latest GA anthology submission, the thing that struck me immediately was how well it showed what's going on in the minds and hearts of the characters. Very cleanly written, focussing the readers' attention on what you're trying to show us.

I could give a little synopsis of what happens in this story, but really, it's about situations that any human can relate to -- having to deal with change, make decisions that affect others, and learn to relate to the people we love -- played out in one day in the life of a teen. It's a good story on any level at which one wants to read it, from the surface story to the deeper meaning.

Kitty :)

Awww...thanks Kitty. Not just for the review that the other jerk didn't want to do (I don't know what his deal was) but for making these anthologies possible. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If it weren't for the Spring 2006 anthology, I would have never had the guts to branch out and try something new. Hell, we might all be reading an efiction anouncement about chapter 134 of What's the Difference Between Me and You? being posted. Now that's a scary thought, isn't it?? :music::music::music:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are far too many authors here at GA who use reality to ruin what could have been a perfectly great story. :P

I recently told another author that I'm here solely for escapism...pure, delicious, wanton escapism. Yes, that's what I said.

Don't get me wrong, reality has it's place. Just not here. :D It belongs with out there, with Kitty's 'human condition'.

Why authors write about it escapes me. :P

Beautifully written, Nick :wub:

Conner

P.S, I've only made a dent in the stories posted on your site...but I'm planning a full scale collision. :D

There are far too many authors here at GA who use reality to ruin what could have been a perfectly great story. :P

I recently told another author that I'm here solely for escapism...pure, delicious, wanton escapism. Yes, that's what I said.

Don't get me wrong, reality has it's place. Just not here. :D It belongs with out there, with Kitty's 'human condition'.

Why authors write about it escapes me. :P

Beautifully written, Nick :wub: Conner

P.S, I've only made a dent in the stories posted on your site...but I'm planning a full scale collision. :D

Thanks Conner :)