The Beaten Path

Guest Kitty

This thread is for the discussion of the Spring 2007 Anthology story The Beaten Path by Bardeara.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

This thread contains details about the story. Be forewarned, in case you haven't read it yet. :D

The Beaten Path

by Bardeara

Wow, this story really grabbed my attention right from the get go. In the opening scene, Ethan, the protagonist, is painting a picture that would lead one to believe he was incarcerated. As we dig deeper into the story, we learn more about Ethan and his life. One of his big challenges as he begins his tale is homelessness. I get the impression from the description he gives of his corner that he

This was a very interesting and enthralling story, Bard. I have to disagree with Nick on his summary, though, as I can't quite tell if there even is a protagonist in this story. Maybe it's because the main character is almost never a protagonist in a story, or maybe because it's a toss-up between Ethan's negativity and TJ's colorful history, though both characters have their redeeming points. In any case, it was a lovely short story, as Bard once again never fails to please!

• Site Administrator

A very interesting story. The best part to me was that neither of the two leading characters were perfect -- just like real life.

Ethan was still angry with TJ at the end, as shown by his cold agreement that TJ didn't deserve his friendship, but his actions spoke louder than his words.

It appears that Ethan had spent around a year at the convent (based on TJ showing up after about six months, and then there were several more months mentioned). I feel it was the breather he needed before he continued his life -- a break that allowed him to resettle himself before he moved on as an adult.

Thanks, Bardeara!

The Bard strikes again! Excellent work! :worship:

The story was a little slow at first. You authours take the "laying a good foundation" and "character development" way too seriously. :P Let's just say that delay gratification is not my strong suit. I always go for the icing first.

From the point where your protagonist admits his sexuality to TJ, the story line became absolutely captivating. I was spellbound. I think you intended for your readers to guess that TJ had been involved in Ethan's beating that night in the park. What took me completely by surprise was the alley scene.

You left us guessing as to why TJ's gang buddies were beating up on him. That was nasty but, I admit, extremely effective. It set the stage for Ethan's redemption. He had finally come into his own.

As Nick pointed out in his review, it was a most somber ending. I really wanted the fairy tale ending, but you denied me. I hate you and love you for it!

Conner

Darn, coming fifth takes away all the smart things to say. Really weird reading this 2 days after Ups and Downs, which has some similar setting.

BUT, the fact that there is no romance with TJ makes it all the more interesting. Not exactly heartwarming/ feelgood in essence, but following Ethan's transformation and growing up makes it really nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved it!

Very well done, Bard! The unraveling mystery of the background, the crisis, the resolution, all of it.

My favorite, though, was your very last line. That was very evocative and very powerful, a perfect ending.

:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...