Jump to content
    JMH
  • Author
  • 696 Words
  • 3,307 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Centurion - 21. Chapter 21

Chapter Eight:

Conspiracies Revealed

Perils did not want to be friends with the Centurions. He wanted to enslave them. Jason had been a part of that plan, but it now was clear that he was going to have to be an unwilling partner in it.

With the arrival of Jason Argot to Domus the problem facing Perils was what to do with the Eastern and Western Field Marshals. Usually the generals fought the wars while the Field Marshals ruled from Domus. The pair tended to vote as a block, making Xavier a useless but expensive ally. Still, as useless as Xavier was, Perils was betting his future on the leader of the Home Guard.

“I would prefer you come to me. I don’t appreciate your people snickering each time I come to your house,” Xavier grunted as he entered Perils’ study.

“How is your health?” Perils asked instead of answering Xavier’s question.

“I am fine... but that does not change that I turn 39 next month.”

I know... that is why we need to act now. Gorr is only 36 and Lukas is 38. I don’t want those two selecting your replacement when

you finally die.” “Well, unless you find a way for me to live longer there is nothing we can do.”

“We can kill them,” Perils said bluntly.

“Kill... how?” Xavier asked, his interest peaked.

“There are ways to kill them...accidents can happen. If both of them die close enough to each other before replacements can be found you will be able to choose whomever you want.”

“I see... you will give me full control?”

“Yes,” Perils said with a slight smile as if what he offered was just a minor prize.

“But you know if the Eastern and Western armies were to ever find out that we killed their leaders we would have a civil war on our hands?”

“We better make sure that no one finds out then,” Perils warned.

“Do you have a plan?” Xavier moved closer.

“Don’t I always...” Perils sighed, seeing that Xavier was either too stupid or too greedy to turn against him. “Tomorrow the Eastern army will march through the city. You and the other two Field Marshals will be in the grandstand watching as General Darius presents his troops. As leader of the Home Guard it will be you who will leave the stand to hand the general his baton of victory. At that moment Jadoorians, disguised as Famulus will attack, killing both Field Marshals.”

“How will Jadoorians even get close to the grandstand?”

“They will be the Famulus serving them,” Perils said with a straight face.

“But that means they will have to be my servants!”

“Yes... Since you are well known for abusing them who else but your servants would do such a thing, . The public would not be surprised to see them revolt. Your Home Guards have also been told to be slow in coming to the Field Marshals’ defense.”

“But my men will be executed!”

“No...” Perils smiled wickedly.

“No?” Xavier asked confused.

“Your men will not be punished because you will take personal responsibility for your men’s action.”

Then I will be executed!” Xavier said shocked.

“No you won’t.” Perils said patiently. “I will make sure that the Senate shows mercy. You will only receive a public flogging.”

“And why should I agree to this humiliation?”

“Because after you are punished you will be free to pick whatever sycophants you want to be Field Marshals. You will be the one with the power,” Perils took a seat.

“Yes, but only a year or two to enjoy it.”

“Count yourself lucky. Most Centurions never rise above being a grunt. You, on the other hand, will have the power to bring Domus to its rightful place in the world. If you do the Legatio will be writing songs and poems about Xavier the Great for generations to come.”

“Fine... I will agree to your plan, but remember once I have the power I will no longer be your stooge. I will have your respect, Legatio!”

“Of course... your imperial majesty.” Perils gave the Field Marshal a mocking bow.

This work is the original creation of the writer who holds all rights to it. 2011 All rights reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Power, greed and betrayal. Sounds like modern day politics! tongue.png Some things just never change! whistle.gif

I like where you're taking the story! Great stuff! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..