Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 275 Words
  • 1,016 Views
  • 3 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Plugh Brainstorming Method - 1. The Plugh Brainstorming Method

When brainstorming for a story, write down everything that pops into your head no matter how ridiculous it seems at first. One idea often leads to another idea which leads to another that will eventually lead to the one your mind is subconsciously looking for. Let your brain’s programming do it’s work, just keep track of the data so you can backtrack if necessary and regroup if you come to a dead end or unsatisfactory conclusion. You can limit the time you spend on each brainstorming session; I would not make the time less than fifteen minutes and no more than thirty minutes. Your times may vary.

Also, try to stick to the topic at hand, tangents are useful tools, but when brainstorming they can quickly become distractions. Write down the tangent and circle it for future brainstorming if you feel that strongly about it. Ideas come from the oddest places.

The easiest way to brainstorm is play the “What if…” game, or the “If…then…” game. The “What if…” game is just as it sounds — “What would happen if XYZ happened?” It usually produces one answer from your brain, and you have to keep changing the XYZ. The “If…then…” game is a little more complicated. “If XYZ happens, then how many different things could possibly happen?” This produces multiple answers. Each will have to be analyzed later. Whichever you use, have fun and don’t be afraid of the unusual. The path least followed is the path you want to take as a writer. It’s the more unique and will lend a different flavor to what could have been a very clichéd idea.

Copyright © 2012 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Succintly put. Brainstorming can also work when you get writer's block and are having a hard time deciding where to go from your latest point in your story. Albeit, it may force you to backtrack a bit....

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I like to brainstorm but for me sometimes it starts with an object. You have ring now what? Some of the prompts start from these sort of things.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

When I reach a story waypoint, and can't decide 'What's Next' I go for a long drive or lay down to sleep. It's amazing that when your conscious mind is occupied your subconscious mind is free to roam and often gives me options to proceed. Having a waypoint block can be frustrating.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..