Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Spring - People Are Strange Entry

A Challenge Accepted - 1. A Challenge Accepted

“Damn it!” Jerry rubbed his forehead where he’d just smacked into the edge of the open door. He whirled around at the sound of laughter behind him and tripped over his own feet at the movement, ending up sprawled on the floor.

“Maybe you should try walking backwards, at least then you’d have a reason for running into things and falling over your own feet.” Chris, his long-time boyfriend, continued to laugh as he reached down to pull him to his feet.

“You think so, do you?” Jerry scowled, even as he reached up and took the proffered hand.

“Oh come on, admit it, you’re a klutz and you know it, but you’re my klutz.”

“I’m not that bad! I’ll even prove it to you.” Jerry rubbed his ass where it had come in contact with the floor.

“Oh? This ought to be good. How do you propose to prove it when you’re constantly running into things?”

“I’m going to walk backwards the rest of the day.”

“And just how exactly is that going to prove anything?” Chris leaned against the wall studying him.

“Because, when I don’t run into anything you’ll be forced to admit that I’m not as bad as you think.” He turned around and started moving backwards down the hall he’d just come down. He turned to go into their bedroom and misjudged how far he’d gone and ran backwards into the wall next to their door.

“Oh yeah, that’s proving it to me all right!”

“Oh bite me!” Jerry shot back.

“With pleasure.” Chris moved purposely down the hall towards him and Jerry watched for a moment before stepping to the side and through the door to the bedroom. He shut the door on a surprised Chris and pictured the room in his mind. Moving much slower than he had before, he took a couple of cautious steps back until he could see the corner of the queen size bed out of the corner of his eye. He turned and moved until his knees pressed against it and fell backwards to stare up at the ceiling.

What the hell had possessed him to accept that challenge? It wasn’t like Chris had been serious, so why had he felt driven to prove a point? One that he had little to no hope of proving at that. He really was a klutz; Chris had commented multiple times that he needed to be wrapped in bubble wrap just to keep from hurting himself. He’d even gone so far as to toss a roll into the cart at Wal-Mart. He heard the squeak of the hinges as the door swung open and turned his head to see Chris standing in the doorway.

“I need to run to the store to find something to fix for dinner, do you need anything?”

“Nah, I’m good, but I’ll go with you.” Jerry levered himself up off the bed and moved towards Chris, fighting the urge to turn around and watch where he was going.

“No, you’re not. Not if you don’t walk like a normal human being.”

“Oh come on, it’ll be fun!” Jerry tried to put some enthusiasm in his voice as he came up against a solid chest and felt corded arms wrap around him.

“Nope, not happening.” Chris leaned down and nipped at the tender skin just below his ear.

“Yep, it is. Your choice really, you can either just take me with you or I can call a cab and then you won’t be with me to make sure I really don’t hurt myself.

“Or, you can stop this nonsense and we can just go to the store.”

“Well, that isn’t going to happen, so guess it’s option number one, you’ll take me to the store with you.” Jerry stepped back, forcing Chris out of the doorway so he could make his way slowly down the hall. He had never realized how hard it really was to continuously walk backwards and struggled to walk straight and not weave back and forth. He smiled as Chris just shook his head and then followed him.

***

“So what are you in the mood for tonight?” Chris grabbed a shopping cart as they walked into the store.

“How about enchiladas?” Jerry forced himself to focus as he moved, hoping he wouldn’t embarrass himself by falling on his ass.

“They are so time consuming, how about spaghetti?”

“What was the point in asking if you already had a plan?” Jerry tripped and reached out to Chris to help stabilize himself.

“No point, I guess. Do you even realize all the odd looks you’re getting?” Chris asked as he pushed the cart alongside his still walking the wrong way boyfriend.

“Yep, I can see ‘em after I pass.” Jerry laughed at the aggrieved sound of Chris’s voice.

“At least keep a hand on the cart so that you hopefully won’t walk into people,” Chris begged.

“You just want to spoil the fun.”

“No, but I don’t want you walking into some innocent bystander. Besides, what if it was a kid that you ran over, you’d feel bad and so would I.” Chris pushed the cart slowly, matching his speed to Jerry’s awkward gait.

“Alright, I would hate to step on a kid,” Jerry conceded and wrapped his fingers around the side of the cart. Truthfully, he hadn’t been ecstatic at the thought of navigating the aisles blind and was grateful that he’d be guided by the cart, and through it, Chris. It only took a couple of minutes before he realized it wasn’t that good of a plan either.

“Okay, this is absolutely ridiculous.” Chris pulled the cart off to the side. “We’re just going to get what we really need and then we’ll come back tomorrow. Every time I turn the cart it either runs into you or it goes one way and you go the other.”

“You’ve only hit me with the cart once.” Jerry knew he couldn’t say anything about the other thing, because Chris was right. He really didn’t want to admit it because he didn’t want to prove Chris right, but he was actually tired of walking backwards. It was a lot harder that he had thought it would be. The only good thing about it was that he was able to see Chris, but even that wasn’t enough incentive to keep him doing it. He was ready to call a truce when he heard his man sigh.

“I’ll make a deal with you.” Chris said after a moment.

“What kind of deal?”

“You go back to walking normal and not only will I make the chicken enchiladas for dinner, but after that we can watch whatever movie you want.”

“Any movie? No matter what it is?” Jerry asked suspiciously.

“Any movie. Now, do we have a deal?”

“Throw in control of the radio on the way home and we have a deal.” Jerry knew Chris would agree, this wasn’t the first time they had made a similar deal. Any time one of them was doing something to bug the other they’d come up with similar incentives to get them to stop.

“Fine, now turn around and walk normally.”

Chris shook his head as his lover turned and started walking away, smirking at his victory. It was wiped away with Chris’s next words.

“Just so you know, I decided to make enchiladas as soon as you told me that’s what you wanted.” Chris smiled as he walked past. “Next time you want to try something new, you’d be better off just to wrap yourself in bubble wrap. At least then you’d be safe while people stare at you like you’re one step away from the loony bin.”

As he passed, Jerry looked in the cart at the roll of bubble wrap that Chris had snuck in. He lifted his gaze to his boyfriends now departing back and shook his head before falling into step behind him, a grin teasing at his lips.


Story Discussion

Copyright © 2011 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2011 - Spring - People Are Strange Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

This story made me laugh. It was light and funny. I've seen folks acting like fools in the store all the time and it made me think of how I probably looked to them as I shook my head and wondered if they had missed essential doses of some medicine they were supposed to be on! :P

Link to comment
On 03/13/2011 02:07 PM, Cia said:
This story made me laugh. It was light and funny. I've seen folks acting like fools in the store all the time and it made me think of how I probably looked to them as I shook my head and wondered if they had missed essential doses of some medicine they were supposed to be on! :P
Thanks Cia! This story was exceedingly different from any others that I've written and am looking forward to seeing how it received by everyone else. I know what you mean about folks acting like fools and can agree completely! Thanks for the review!
Link to comment

Klutz!! ya.. I can sympathise.. :*) Thankfully Jerry has someone to buy bubble wrap for him :P i used medical gauze :*) shhhh!!! that's a secret!!!

Awesome story Renee, made me smile, and i'm sure, i'll be smiling for the rest of the day when i trip! :D (he's worse that i ever was!)

Link to comment
On 03/13/2011 04:06 PM, Frostina said:
Klutz!! ya.. I can sympathise.. :*) Thankfully Jerry has someone to buy bubble wrap for him :P i used medical gauze :*) shhhh!!! that's a secret!!!

Awesome story Renee, made me smile, and i'm sure, i'll be smiling for the rest of the day when i trip! :D (he's worse that i ever was!)

Thanks for the review Frosty! The bubble wrap idea came from my hubby. He's always saying how accident prone I am and is constantly trying to sneak a roll of bubble wrap into the cart at Wal-Mart. I'm really glad you enjoyed this story!
Link to comment

This was a fun, light hearted story and I really enjoyed it. Thankfully I'm not so clumsy as that, but having people like Chris who don't care and just gently tease is excellent :)

 

Good job :D

Link to comment
On 03/13/2011 10:15 PM, Agaith said:
This was a fun, light hearted story and I really enjoyed it. Thankfully I'm not so clumsy as that, but having people like Chris who don't care and just gently tease is excellent :)

 

Good job :D

Thanks for the review Stu!!! I debated so much on this story as it's not what I usually write and I wasn't sure what kind of a reception it would get. And yeah, having a "Chris" is good, but sometimes a pain in the butt!
Link to comment

Such an adorable and cute story! Really really sweet and tender interaction between the boys. I can imagine all the stares they got and that would be a funny thing to try just for laughs! :)

Link to comment
“What was the point in asking if you already had a plan?” Jerry tripped and reached out to Chris to help stabilize himself.

 

That sound SO familiar. We do this all the time - :P

 

Jerry sounds easy - is he cute. 0:)

 

Some how I expected the 'challenge' would last longer - on and Chris is a bit of a putz - did he REALLY have to say - I was making what you asked anyway?

 

Thanks :)

Link to comment
On 03/13/2011 10:33 PM, Marzipan said:
Such an adorable and cute story! Really really sweet and tender interaction between the boys. I can imagine all the stares they got and that would be a funny thing to try just for laughs! :)
LOL! Thanks Maria! When I was writing it I was sitting here imagining the looks, lol. *wonders what the hubby would do if I tried this*
Link to comment
On 03/13/2011 10:33 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
“What was the point in asking if you already had a plan?” Jerry tripped and reached out to Chris to help stabilize himself.

 

That sound SO familiar. We do this all the time - :P

 

Jerry sounds easy - is he cute. 0:)

 

Some how I expected the 'challenge' would last longer - on and Chris is a bit of a putz - did he REALLY have to say - I was making what you asked anyway?

 

Thanks :)

Thanks for the review Andy! Know what you mean, though with us it's I'll ask the hubby what he want's to eat and he'll tell me "food" followed by "edible food"... grrrrrr.. lol... Jerry is cute in my head, both of them are :). As far as the challenge lasting longer, I originally planned on it lasting the whole day, but was afraid that poor Jerry would end up all bruised up before the end!
Link to comment

ok

It made me laugh. Your attempt at comedy worked. Good job.

Bubble wrap... kinky.

Link to comment
On 03/14/2011 11:34 PM, Lugh said:
ok

It made me laugh. Your attempt at comedy worked. Good job.

Bubble wrap... kinky.

Thanks for the review Lugh!!! I'm glad I was able to give you a laugh!! I am trying to expand my repertoire :D... Next!
Link to comment

A delightful romp into the lifes of Jerry and Chris. Made me smile. Well written and thought out.

Link to comment
On 03/16/2011 06:32 AM, Foster said:
A delightful romp into the lifes of Jerry and Chris. Made me smile. Well written and thought out.
Hey Sam!! Thank you for reviewing! I'm glad you enjoyed the short look into their lives.
Link to comment
On 05/23/2011 06:50 AM, Kev de Cauchery said:
:2thumbs: Gosh, this story makes me smile all the way through.

 

Now I want to know about them. :D

 

Glad you enjoyed it hon! Unfortunately, this is the only story planned for them at this time. Hugs!
Link to comment
On 10/26/2013 04:48 AM, Smoothy said:
Love it! So well written that I'm sure I saw the odd ball passing by! Thanks for sharing it
Thank you for the review Smoothy! I'm glad that you enjoyed the story, I had a lot of fun writing it!
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

What a cute story! It reminds me of the time a college friend of mine decided to do the Russian Cossack dance in the middle of the grocery store... :gikkle: Talk about getting funny looks...lol I'm a bit of a klutz too, but not quite that bad...lol I love how Chris just patiently rolls with it, and their ultimate deal. Very funny story.

Link to comment
On 12/14/2015 10:16 AM, Valkyrie said:

What a cute story! It reminds me of the time a college friend of mine decided to do the Russian Cossack dance in the middle of the grocery store... :gikkle: Talk about getting funny looks...lol I'm a bit of a klutz too, but not quite that bad...lol I love how Chris just patiently rolls with it, and their ultimate deal. Very funny story.

Glad you enjoyed it, Val, and thanks for the review. I wanted to make an attempt at comedy, and it seems like maybe I didn't do too bad, lol.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..