Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 1,797 Words
  • 776 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Scraps from a Diary - 3. Scraps from a Diary, 3 of 3

Scraps from a Diary, 3 of 3

 

Like the pony cart ride that had brought me from the Famous station to The Clubhouse, dappled sunlight through leaves filtered down to my eyes. After our coffee, Mr. McIntire and I had a pleasant conversation about the preparations for the Saint Charles Street shipping facilities, and now we were strolling the shaded path down to the river's edge.

"I have a feeling, Mr. McIntire, you sense as I do that Arnold Bauer is bright despite his learning difficulties."

The man was silent; a few pools of light and shadow overtook and retreated away from us along the path. He was clearly lost in thought, and some degree of anguish contorted the corner of is mouth.

The silence was something akin to what I imagine a priest in a confessional hears.

I pressed on with my original topic. "My mother is a retired school teacher. She knows all about 'slow boys' and how to bring them along at their own pace. It's called dyslexia, Mr. McIntire, it's – "

"I know he's far from dumb, Miss Barrett." His interruption had none of the expected ill temper I've seen from him in the past.

We continued on in shadowy silence for a minute or two, and then a bend in the footpath opened up our sightline straight to the water. Drenched in sunlight and animated all around by bright points of reflected light in the riffles, Bauer stood in his shirtsleeves within the shallows casting his reel.

It took me a moment to realize Mr. McIntire had stopped walking. He was transfixed, simply staring at the boy.

"Are you all right?" I asked, slowing my own pace to a halt.

He blinked at me like he had just remembered I existed.

In a quiet, unadorned voice, he said, "He's – he's my nephew, Miss Barrett."

I swallowed a lump and took a step back to him.

The man continued with a commingled look of regret and nausea. "In the months after the World's Fair, this city had quite a wave of babies being delivered. Many of the newborns were to unwed mothers and became wards of the state. I knew my sister's child was placed at Saint Joseph's Orphanage, and I knew they gave him the name of Arnold Bauer, so I kept an eye on him, thinking…one day – "

He halted abruptly, placing his hands in his pockets.

"One day, what, Mr. McIntire?"

I dreaded his answer.

"That one day when my sister was married and settled – which she is now, but not to Bauer's father – she'd 'adopt' him and raise him. She'd be ready then. But, the truth is, Miss Barrett, my sister does not want anything to do with the boy."

"Oh, Mr. McIntire."

"Well, then my thinking changed. If not her, then… ."

"Maybe you?"

"Yes, maybe me. It all happened so quickly – my engagement and notice from Saint Jo's that Bauer was taken from class and about to be reclassified as 'feebleminded,' so I had to act before I was ready."

"Oh, Mr. McIntire, you did the right thing."

"So you know? You know what feebleminded means? He'd be sent to Arsenal Street."

"Arsenal Street?"

"The State Hospital, miss. The insane asylum, and I couldn't let the boy be institutionalized. He doesn’t deserve that."

I placed a reassuring hand on his lower arm. "You did the right thing, bringing him to the store. You did the correct and noble thing."

"So, there's my confession, Miss Barrett. Truth is, the more time I spend with Arnold Bauer, the more I like him. But – "

"But, your wife – "

"My wife is coming around. She…she has her doubts about 'hard cases,' but I'm working on her. I expect by the end of this stay, she'll be ready to bring the boy into our house." He suddenly pulled out and glanced at his watch. "If you'll excuse me, Miss Barrett, I have to get to the stables and book a horse riding lesson for Bauer. Good morning."

"Good morning, Mr. McIntire."

My eyes followed his form trailing back along the shade-patched course, but I knew my true interest lay on the bright side. I turned and watched the golden-haired orphan child cast a line far out into the river.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1913

Saturday, July 5th

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Famous-on-the-Meramec, near Eureka, Mo.

 

Dear Diary,

 

Midmorning on my last full day in the country found me at a picturesque spot.

The resort's excursion boat is called the Sarah Jane, and seats about a dozen people as she motors along the river. After the whistle blew and she pulled away, I noticed a solitary figure rooted at the end of the dock.

A few minutes later I was sitting next to Bauer, our naked toes and ankles dipping into the Meramec as we cast quiet glances across the surface of the water. All was calm; the shimmers of timeless days, seasons and years captured in the endlessness of a single moment.

The blonde waif was without his cap, and I again wished he'd allow his hair to grow out. The workman's bob he sported lent a too-serious air to the boy's appearance.

"It was quite a show last night, wasn't it, Bauer?"

His sidelong glance up to me caught a sunbeam and made him squint. "It was."

I pointed. "Just around the bend there."

Part of The Farm's riverfront included a high and dry sandbar. Set in a gentle bend, it made for a commodious beach.

"The fireworks, Bauer, have you ever seen anything like them?"

"No, miss."

"Sparkles in both the sky and water – I didn’t know anything could be so beautiful."

"He might not tell you himself, but Mr. McIntire sure worked hard on the display. He rolled up his sleeves and pitched right in."

"The last moment when the frame came to life was awe-inspiring."

As tribute to the Fourth of July, and our pending move into the largest commercial building in the world, the 'boys' of Famous had rigged a billboard-sized rack with smaller slats. On this a network of long-lasting sparklers had been fused together, and when stood up and tripped as part of the finale, the outline of our future home lit up in stunning detail, right down to the pennant flying at the top corner, twenty-one stories high. After a minute or two, a message in living flame spread across the bottom: "Three cheers for David May!"

"I hope they got pictures of it, Bauer."

"I'm sure they did, miss. It's historic."

He chuckled all of a sudden.

"What is it?"

"Oh, I was just thinking you were lucky not to be near Mrs. McIntire during the fireworks."

"Why's that?"

"With every loud shell going off, she'd clutch at Mr. McIntire and pretend she was going to faint. She wanted to pull him away early – and spoil our fun – but he insisted she stop acting so dramatic."

I muttered: "Well, bully for him… ."

"What's that?"

"I said: Very interesting."

"Yes. She doesn't seem to know how to have a good time, Miss Barrett."

"No, not like we do."

His boyish features turned mischievous. "May I ask you a personal question?"

"Of course, Bauer."

"How old are you?"

"I just turned thirty. In fact it was on April 8th."

"I'm sorry I missed it, miss."

I tried to laugh. "At thirty, I'm afraid it's official. I'm an old maid, but mercifully few dare to suggest it to my face."

"You're not old."

"I'm not?"

"No, you are the perfect age. You have what you want, and you can do and go where you please. Perfect age."

"I guess you are right on those accounts. Thank you, Bauer, for cheering me up."

"My pleasure."

It was my turn to turn playful. I kicked a toe-full of gleaming water towards his face. "Now you. Tell me when's your birthday."

"It's on October 29th, miss. You haven't missed it. I'm not used to celebrating them anyhow."

"But what about gifts, a cake?"

"'Cause there's so many of us, Saint Jo's has one cake for all the birthdays happening that month." An impish grin to match the best of Buster Brown's crept over his quivering lips. "But we don't get any presents there."

"Thank you, young Master Bauer. I will make a note of it: no presents."

This time he kicked water in my direction, and orange vitality and sparkle of daylilies lining the river's sunny banks flashed in my eye for a moment.

He asked plainly: "Do you miss home?"

"I only have my mother and my brother's son with whom I am close. Thomas, my nephew, is in college now and moved away. This July he and his close friend are in Europe: Spain, Portugal and perhaps Italy. So my days of being a doting aunt are numbered."

It looked like the lad had another question on his mind, but it went unasked.

His serious turn of mood put me in mind of a nagging inquiry. I asked very slowly, "Bauer, do you think you could be happy staying with Mrs. and Mr. McIntire, now that you have shared a room with them for a few days?"

"I don't know." He was contemplative. "I try to stay out of her way; I try to say nothing to upset her; but it seems I always do something wrong, or say something to make her roll her eyes. I don’t think she likes me, Miss Barrett."

I felt like weeping. I hoped it did not show in my voice. "That's too bad, Bauer."

"Don't cry, miss. I don't mind her reaction to me – honest I don’t. It's how most people treat me, so I'm used to it."

"Oh, Bauer… ." Tears streamed down my face. "You're such a good boy. You deserve so much better."

He tried to make me stop with humor. "But the worst thing about Mr. McIntire's missus is how she's always latching onto my ears, folding them back and saying 'Did you clean behind here?' 'Yes, ma'am,' I tell her, but she's never satisfied. Who's gonna be looking behind my ears anyway? I mean, besides her!"

His efforts succeeded. My tears flew from me in a bout of laughter, and eventually I collected myself enough to ask him a simple question. "Bauer, if you don’t mind very much, I'd like to hug you."

He blinked in surprise, but saw it would mean a great deal to me. He stood and walked into my arms.

Truth was, I did not want to let him go.

       

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

 

This is Chapter 6 of a novella I will be posting later on in the year. Wini's complete story can be found here smile.png
My sincere thanks go to Timothy M., skinnydragon and Mikiesboy for their technical and moral support.    
Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

As usual I'm likeless! But I'll be back.
Oh AC this was beautiful and heartwarming, the emotion leapt off the page. As I read I thought, this should be a book I'm holding in my hands. Everyone should have the chance to read this, buy in the local bookstore. Such a good story, so wonderfully written. Can't wait for the whole thing.
tim xo

Link to comment

Aaww buddy, thanks for letting us savor those beautiful parts of your coming story. These 'scraps' certainly make an impact when seen together. I guess Wini's little holiday was a lot more emotional than she could foresee, but also gave her new knowledge and determination.

Link to comment

Oh AC, this is going to be such a sad story...Bauer needing someone who loves him, Winifred needing someone to love, and the cold Mrs. McIntyre seemingly unable to love anyone. Then there's Mr. McIntyre, a man who wants to love his nephew, and wanting to do the right thing, but his wife stands in the way.
If only Winifred could take Bauer in, then things would be fine. I've already cried this morning finishing the story 'In Safe Hands', and now I've got potential tears in my future when this installment of F-B comes out.
Dang. So when's the debut, huh?

Link to comment
On 05/29/2016 10:56 AM, Mikiesboy said:

As usual I'm likeless! But I'll be back.

Oh AC this was beautiful and heartwarming, the emotion leapt off the page. As I read I thought, this should be a book I'm holding in my hands. Everyone should have the chance to read this, buy in the local bookstore. Such a good story, so wonderfully written. Can't wait for the whole thing.

tim xo

Thank you for a great review, Tim. Even when I was writing this I thought it might stand on its own, so I'm very pleased it seems to satisfy readers. You mentioned the emotions, and this is an emotional time for Wini. I think she moved from the 'what if' phase to the 'how can I accomplish this' phase, and it was emotional for her.

 

Thanks again!

Link to comment
On 05/29/2016 02:01 PM, Timothy M. said:

Aaww buddy, thanks for letting us savor those beautiful parts of your coming story. These 'scraps' certainly make an impact when seen together. I guess Wini's little holiday was a lot more emotional than she could foresee, but also gave her new knowledge and determination.

Thanks, Tim. You summed it up quite well for Wini I think. I appreciate your help with this novella and keeping me assured that it's something people might want to read. Telling a story via a one-sided unfolding of letters and journal entries was something I never tried before. It has it's own hazards and rewards, and I have a newfound admiration for Richardson and Lardner as masters of the epistolary style of storytelling.

 

Cheers for a wonderful review!

Link to comment
On 05/30/2016 02:58 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Oh AC, this is going to be such a sad story...Bauer needing someone who loves him, Winifred needing someone to love, and the cold Mrs. McIntyre seemingly unable to love anyone. Then there's Mr. McIntyre, a man who wants to love his nephew, and wanting to do the right thing, but his wife stands in the way.

If only Winifred could take Bauer in, then things would be fine. I've already cried this morning finishing the story 'In Safe Hands', and now I've got potential tears in my future when this installment of F-B comes out.

Dang. So when's the debut, huh?

Thank you, ColumbusGuy! Just reading your comments now makes me wonder if Mr. McIntire is also 'stuck' in convention. He already signed the boy out the orphanage to work in the store, but perhaps the mores of the time prevent him from bringing him into a home before he's married; ironic thing is now it might be too late. We'll have to see.

 

I suppose I can begin posting this 1913 story over the summer, as most of the scenes cover a period from spring 1912 to the end of 1913.

 

Thanks for your support and a great review. You're the best!

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

What a wonderful peek you've given us of the upcoming story. I find it appalling that Bauer could even be considered "feeble-minded" as I find him to be smart, polite and uuan absolute joy.
I look forward to reading the rest of this tale and, not surprisingly, I find myself hoping wishing for a happy ending for Wini, Bauer and Mr. McIntire - and Mrs. McIntire as long as she comes down from that high horse she's sitting on.

Link to comment

If I had read the three "scraps" in a collection of short stories, I would have been happy enough. Together they already keep the imagination of the reader working: like standing on a crossroads with several options to choose from for the continuation of the journey. We get just enough information about the main characters to try to walk the different roads as far as we think we can see and speculate what is just around the corner.

 

Happier still I will be to be taken by the hand and be shown the wondrous path that only you know of and will be revealed step by step when the whole story will be posted.

 

It goes without saying that I look forward to that walk.

Link to comment

Knowing that there's so much more to the story makes me appreciate these entries even more. I am filled emotion and with curiosity, and how's and what ifs. I am eager to see Wini conquer it all, how Bauer will change the adults around him, because I have no doubt that he will. And the McIntires, how will they fare... There's so much that could happen and I can't wait to take the trip..
Thank you AC for what will be yet another riveting tale..

Link to comment

So beautifully written, and engaging, too. The quizzing back and forth about their ages was touching; the perfect age...thirty. And Mr. Mcintyre's dilemma...oh, the hurt. I looked forward to knowing more about these characters someday. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Link to comment
On 05/31/2016 04:03 AM, Reader1810 said:

What a wonderful peek you've given us of the upcoming story. I find it appalling that Bauer could even be considered "feeble-minded" as I find him to be smart, polite and uuan absolute joy.

I look forward to reading the rest of this tale and, not surprisingly, I find myself hoping wishing for a happy ending for Wini, Bauer and Mr. McIntire - and Mrs. McIntire as long as she comes down from that high horse she's sitting on.

Thank you for a great review, Reader! Jack London opened my eyes to much of the injustice of the 'mental hygiene system' of the early 1900s. You can check out the link to the story below. I imagine that someone like Bauer would fall into the gears of that mindset as well, but fortunately he does have someone who watched out for him, albeit in a way that may shock us today ('free' by way of forced child labor).

 

I don’t try to sugar-coat historical things, but I also do not have much interest in unhappy endings ;)

 

Thanks again for your support. I appreciate it!

 

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/TolDro.shtml

Link to comment
On 05/31/2016 04:14 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

If I had read the three "scraps" in a collection of short stories, I would have been happy enough. Together they already keep the imagination of the reader working: like standing on a crossroads with several options to choose from for the continuation of the journey. We get just enough information about the main characters to try to walk the different roads as far as we think we can see and speculate what is just around the corner.

 

Happier still I will be to be taken by the hand and be shown the wondrous path that only you know of and will be revealed step by step when the whole story will be posted.

 

It goes without saying that I look forward to that walk.

Thank you, Peter! Even as I was still writing this chapter, I thought it could provide enough to stand on its own. I'm so pleased others seem to agree. I like your crossroads analogy, for Winfred is indeed looking around and trying to decide which route could lead her to a better place. She's not unhappy; yet, she's slowly seeing she can have more if she's willing to fight for it.

 

Although this is a Christmas story, the vast majority takes places outside the holiday season. I've been debating it, but I suppose I might as well begin uploading the entire thing in a few weeks. Please stay tuned.

 

Thanks for your support and a great review.

Link to comment
On 05/31/2016 07:17 AM, Defiance19 said:

Knowing that there's so much more to the story makes me appreciate these entries even more. I am filled emotion and with curiosity, and how's and what ifs. I am eager to see Wini conquer it all, how Bauer will change the adults around him, because I have no doubt that he will. And the McIntires, how will they fare... There's so much that could happen and I can't wait to take the trip..

Thank you AC for what will be yet another riveting tale..

Thank you, Defiance19! This novella was a challenge to write, mainly because of the format, but also because Wini's work life – her genuine career – and her somewhat stunted emotional life meet up in the challenges she faces in getting Famous-Barr into its new facilities. But, joys and triumphs await.

 

Thanks again for all of your support. You're the best.

Link to comment
On 06/01/2016 01:13 AM, Parker Owens said:

So beautifully written, and engaging, too. The quizzing back and forth about their ages was touching; the perfect age...thirty. And Mr. Mcintyre's dilemma...oh, the hurt. I looked forward to knowing more about these characters someday. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Thank you, Parker! For the age thing, I remember being a kid and just longing for that time when I could make my decisions for myself; I think a kid like Bauer, an orphan, being shuttled around as he is, would envy Wini for her freedom most of all.

 

Thanks for a great review, and I plan on posting the whole thing fairly soon. :)

Link to comment

This last chapter had me all choked up. Poor Bauer. People shouldn't treat him so poorly. I don't understand though. Who diagnosed him as being dyslexic (wow, spelled that right on the first try. No pun intended. And I can pun because I am a bit dyslexic. I think I told you a long time ago. Not with transposing numbers or letters, but with concepts.) Anyway, why do people think Bauer's dyslexic? He's extremely bright, charming, and sooooo polite.

 

It's horrible that his own mother didn't want him when she was finally able to care for a child. How could a mother not want her own child? Heartless. She should get together with the Missus and go bowling.

 

Wini definitely needs to adopt Bauer. And why do they call him Bauer if his first name is Arnold? lol And Mr. McIntire needs to kick the Missus to the curb and start dating Wini! :P

 

And now of course I understand that this is from a FUTURE story, and not a completed story!

Link to comment

This ending ripped me apart. I'll tell you why. When I was a kid, my great uncle and aunt lived only a couple of blocks from my elementary school. The year I was in kindergarten, we had a blizzard, which came up out of nowhere. They moved us to relatives or friends who lived close by. I ended up with them. I was petrified.
My second cousin in the same school was only a year older than me. He didn't like me very much. However, his much older brother did like me. We call it challenged now, but then he was considered retarded and if they didn't keep him at home, he would have been institutionalized.
I was scared. He told me everything would be fine. I remember it very vividly. He could see my fear and let me know he cared. He hugged me and kept smiling at me. Somehow, he made things okay for me. I was five, but I remember it quite well.
The reason I tell this story is because your chapter was so powerful it brought alive these emotional responses in me. Albert's interaction with Barrett was so real to me. It brought it all back to me. Your writing gave me a gift. Thank you for that.

Link to comment
On 06/07/2016 12:46 PM, Lisa said:

This last chapter had me all choked up. Poor Bauer. People shouldn't treat him so poorly. I don't understand though. Who diagnosed him as being dyslexic (wow, spelled that right on the first try. No pun intended. And I can pun because I am a bit dyslexic. I think I told you a long time ago. Not with transposing numbers or letters, but with concepts.) Anyway, why do people think Bauer's dyslexic? He's extremely bright, charming, and sooooo polite.

 

It's horrible that his own mother didn't want him when she was finally able to care for a child. How could a mother not want her own child? Heartless. She should get together with the Missus and go bowling.

 

Wini definitely needs to adopt Bauer. And why do they call him Bauer if his first name is Arnold? lol And Mr. McIntire needs to kick the Missus to the curb and start dating Wini! :P

 

And now of course I understand that this is from a FUTURE story, and not a completed story!

Thanks again, Lisa. In the novella, during an earlier scene, Wini and Bauer are talking about the boy's learning difficulties, and the woman recognizes what the issue is. Unfortunately for him, the good Sisters at Saint Joseph's Orphanage have no time for 'book learning' if it involves them reading the new theories on education. I imagine many boys and girls like Bauer, pre the 1930, 40s and 50s were labeled as unteachable. What their fate became after that classification is not pleasant to think about.

 

I love your questions, but you will have to hold off till you read the whole thing. :glomp:

 

Thank you, as always!

Link to comment
On 06/07/2016 01:26 PM, Cole Matthews said:

This ending ripped me apart. I'll tell you why. When I was a kid, my great uncle and aunt lived only a couple of blocks from my elementary school. The year I was in kindergarten, we had a blizzard, which came up out of nowhere. They moved us to relatives or friends who lived close by. I ended up with them. I was petrified.

My second cousin in the same school was only a year older than me. He didn't like me very much. However, his much older brother did like me. We call it challenged now, but then he was considered retarded and if they didn't keep him at home, he would have been institutionalized.

I was scared. He told me everything would be fine. I remember it very vividly. He could see my fear and let me know he cared. He hugged me and kept smiling at me. Somehow, he made things okay for me. I was five, but I remember it quite well.

The reason I tell this story is because your chapter was so powerful it brought alive these emotional responses in me. Albert's interaction with Barrett was so real to me. It brought it all back to me. Your writing gave me a gift. Thank you for that.

Thank you, Cole. This is a personal and touching review, and I'm lucky to know my work can reach people.

 

It sounds like your cousin is compassionate and caring, and that's awesome. As for Bauer, I think he was a bit puzzled by Wini's request for a hug, but he obliged, because he could see her distress as well.

 

Thanks again, Cole. This is wonderful.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

My heart goes out to Bauer. The possibility of being institutionalized for being dyslexic is just horrific. He's clearly an intelligent boy who's being vilified for something out of his control. It makes me so mad. I used to work for a guy who was dyslexic and owned a very successful landscaping nursery. One of his customers was his former elementary school teacher who used to tell him he'd never amount to anything. It made my blood boil because he was an extremely intelligent man and a very good businessman. I'll be interested to see where the story goes.

Link to comment
On 06/09/2016 01:53 PM, Valkyrie said:

My heart goes out to Bauer. The possibility of being institutionalized for being dyslexic is just horrific. He's clearly an intelligent boy who's being vilified for something out of his control. It makes me so mad. I used to work for a guy who was dyslexic and owned a very successful landscaping nursery. One of his customers was his former elementary school teacher who used to tell him he'd never amount to anything. It made my blood boil because he was an extremely intelligent man and a very good businessman. I'll be interested to see where the story goes.

The 'Mental Hygiene' movement in the U.S. for the first half of the 20th century was horrific. I didn't begin this story as a sort of protest piece, but then Bauer and what might have happened to him appeared more sharply in the background as I went, so I had to 'tell his tale.'

 

Thanks for a great review, Val. I appreciate it very much.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..