Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 1,700 Words
  • 2,716 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 17. Chapter 17

Under Ground Aliases
The Reaper- Jamie Free
Gears- Jacob Palmer
Gizmo- Matty Sanders
*The boys use these to guarantee no one outside the underground finds their real identities*

Once again I felt the familiar sensation of hate and anger fill me. The Reaper, huh? I’ll make sure to live up to it. I slept like a baby that night.

I woke up the next morning with the familiar adrenaline I always did after a night out racing. What I did last night wasn’t right or wrong, it was necessary, and I won’t let it slow me down any more than it has. I spent the first part of the day hanging out in my room blasting music. Jacob texted me reminding me that he was coming over to install a roll cage.

When he finally showed up with the thing, I could tell he had barely slept. He said he bought it off a local auto body shop and that it was originally made for a real race car but he promised me he could make it work. The iron contraption set us back a $1,000, but after what happened last night getting it really wasn’t all that debatable.

He immediately got to work installing the thing.

“So that’ll really keep me safe?”

“It won’t make you indestructible, but yeah it’ll keep the ceiling of the car from falling down onto you.”

“About what happened last night—“ I started but Jacob raised his hand trying to get me to stop talking.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” Jacob just kept working not bothering to even look up.

“Look, it’s not your…”

Jacob threw a screw driver at me. “I said I don’t want to talk about it.” He let out a huge sigh “We killed a man.”

I picked up the screwdriver and handed it to him “You didn’t kill anyone. It was my hands on the wheel, I killed him, and I’d do it again and again and again if I had to.”

Jacob stared at me like he had just seen a ghost “How can you talk like that?”

I patted him on the back and started heading back into the house “At some point you get filled up with so much pain and regret that you stop feeling. The only people I care about anymore are you, Matty, Elijah and my family. I’ll do what I have to, to give us the life we deserve.” I don’t know how but somewhere along the way the races became more about the money then winning. The internal battle between right and wrong has been tipped the wrong way, and I don’t know how to get it back to normal. Eli will be the only salvation I ever find. I turned before walking into the house and saw Jacob shake his head in disgust. He didn’t have to agree with my decisions, it was my cross to bear, not his.

When he finished he went home without a goodbye. I examined the car closely. He did a good job of installing the thing. I climbed in and sat there, there were iron bars to my sides and spanning over my head. I started to laugh. It felt like I was in a spaceship more than a car. I don’t know how the hell I’m gonna explain the thing to people, but it’s pretty cool. Suddenly the burner in my pocket buzzed with a new text.

“The people want an encore, you have race tonight. Be there.” I smiled, I guess I left the people wanting more, and I’m not one to disappoint.

I immediately pulled out my normal phone and texted Matty and Jacob we had a race tonight. They both agreed to be there. No matter how mad Jacob was I knew he would always be there in my corner. I immediately went into race mode and locked myself in my room to mentally prepare. Whoever my opponent tonight is better be careful. The Reaper is making his debut, and he’s out for blood. Night rolled in quick and I snuck out once more without a problem. I picked up Matty first to avoid any awkward silences with Jacob. When they were both in the car I made my announcement.

“So they’ve given me a new nickname, I’m no longer The Kid, from now on they’re calling me The Reaper.”

Matty nodded his head “That’s one badass nickname, you’ve earned it.”

Jacob rolled his eyes and kept silent.

“You don’t like it Jacob?” I asked trying to provoke him to speak his mind.

“No, I don’t. I really don’t understand how you can both embrace this so proudly.” He snapped

“Because, what Jamie did last night isn’t something we can understand. We don’t put our lives on the line in those races, he does. If he makes the call that he has to take out his opponent then we stand with it 100%. You don’t get to judge him for that. You knew what you signed up for when you joined this team.” Damn when Matty’s right he’s really right.

Jacob sighed “I just didn’t think it would ever turn out like this.”

“Well get used to it. We’re the new kings of the underground, and no one is going to tell me any different.” I held my head up high for the rest of the drive there.

As I pulled into my usual spot I saw all the other crews staring at me. I stepped out to the normal cheers of the crowd, a sound I was quickly growing used to. I growled as I walked past the other racers and up to Jax. “How we lookin big man? You put down money again right?” I began to smile “I’m gonna win you a new house tonight.”

Jax forced a smile “Of course, you don’t bet against a racer while he’s hot.” My smile grew as I heard those words and I headed back to prep for the race.

“Alright Reaper, race smart tonight” Gears began “Make whatever calls you need to. I’ll back you to the end.”

I put my hand on his shoulder “To the end.” We both nodded and left it at that.

When it came time for my race I pulled up to the starting line and stared at my opponent, for once he didn’t look like a total scumbag. I rolled down my window and gestured for him to do the same. He did as instructed and I saw fear in his eyes. “You know what happened to the last man who went up against me, right?” he nodded and began to shake a bit “Don’t make the same mistakes” I spit with venom in my eyes.

The lady took her spot and announced the name change “Tonight The Kid will officially become The Reaper and try to keep his streak alive.” I heard the crowd erupt and felt my body surge with energy. She went about her normal spiel before finally counting down. “On your marks, get set, GO!”

I took off perfectly. I felt my skills only getting better with each and every race I competed in. When we got up to the highway it was fairly crowded but nothing I couldn’t handle. I began to weave in and out of the cars and watched my opponent do the same. When we approached the U-turn I saw him slow down drastically and begin to drive at a normal speed. Are you fucking joking? They let this fuckin pussy race against me?! I kicked it into gear and finished off the race as fast as I could. When I stepped out of the car I felt the air in the underpass freeze with anticipation from the crowd. I could feel the familiar sensation of eyes on me, wondering if I had took out yet another car. I leaned against the hood of my car, shook my head and pointed to the opening of the tunnel to signal that he would be coming through any second now.

When he finally pulled across the finish line and stopped I began to walk towards his door. The man stepped out and stared at me. I ripped off my helmet and threw it to the ground, the plastic visor cracked on impact.

“ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!” I felt my body pulse with anger “YOU’RE THE BIGGEST PUSSY I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE.”

The man shook his head and started walking to his crew.

“Don’t fucking walk away from me you bitch. Get back in your car we’re doing this over again and this time you’re gonna fucking race me like a man.” The crowd exploded encouraging him to try it again.

The man shook his head. “You really are as out of control as they say.” He shouted towards me

“Yeah? fuck you.” I said walking away with my middle finger in the air. “At least I race like a fucking man.” I picked up my helmet and threw it into my car. I started walking right toward Pit and saw Jax starting to shadow me. “What the fuck? You let people like that race for you?!”

Pit let out a roaring laugh “I like you more and more everyday Reaper. You may become #1 after all.”

“Right now all I care about is the money.”

“A man after my own heart.” He joked “Here, you’ve earned it” he said handing over a stack of cash

I smiled and began to walk away with Jax still following me “It’s not polite to stalk people.”

“Since when is it about the money with you?” He said giving me a surprised look.

“I cared about winning when I was still just a kid. Now I’m something more. I have to be.” I stated with some anger in my voice.

Jax nodded “Do what you need to, but don’t let anger control you. It’ll only wind up destroying you.”

I tossed the money to Gizmo and we climbed into the car. I rolled down my window and stared at Jax.

“It doesn’t control me, it fuels me.” Gears and Jax’s eyes connected, they’re planning something. I just can’t tell what.

I pulled away with my middle finger out the window. No one’s gonna tell me how to race. No one.

2016 Ace
  • Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I really enjoyed ur series at the beginning. Now, its like with every chapter Jamie is getting more and more unlikeable. Not sure how much more of this narcissistic ass I can handle.

Link to comment

I have to admit; this is the most callus "first-person" narrative I've read since someone gave me the book "The Ice man!" And although it's sort of unsettling for me to personally admit, I can actually understand Jamie's cold-hearted objectivity and drive to be the best at any cost. I really hope his better half, and basic humanity will prevail in the end.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..