Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 1,715 Words
  • 2,314 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

An Advent Calendar - 2. Door#2 - Nelly Frittata

Nelly Frittata

 

Stephen put the last of the gifts into the tote bag, carefully tucking the box of fruit flavored candy canes into an empty pocket. He sat back in the chair and sighed. Now, he needed to get them packed. Lonnie would be home within half an hour and they needed to leave immediately. While driving home from the mall, the weatherman on the radio said a blizzard was coming, a huge storm wailing in from Canada by eleven tonight. They had a two-hour drive ahead of them and needed to get to St. Cloud before the storm hit.

He looked at his watch, a nice Rolex Lonnie had gotten him two Christmases ago. It was a quarter to five, plenty of time. However, there was no reason to take any chances. Stan and Karl, Hal and Amy, and Lonnie’s brother and girlfriend were already at the resort. He imagined them getting a little tipsy and singing along at the piano bar in the lodge. Stephen could almost smell the Irish coffee and the heady aroma of freshly cut pine branches. There would be laughing and joking and warmth.

Stephen jumped out of his chair and trotted up the stairs. Their Chihuahua, Skip scampered ahead of him, excited and panting his enthusiasm. The little dog looked up at him eager and with happiness. The West Carlos Lake Lodge allowed small dogs in the cabins. It was one of the reasons they chose the place to spend Christmas week with their friends. This was the first time they weren’t getting together exclusively with their families. Lonnie’s parents were in Europe with friends. Stephen’s mom was in California with his sister and her family. Stephen and Lonnie had been looking forward to an ‘orphan holiday’ all year long.

Grabbing the suitcase, Stephen started filling it with sweaters, underwear, and jeans. He marched into the bathroom and placed the toothpaste, a hair brush and shaving items into the overnight bag. He smiled to himself and reached into the bottom of a drawer, pulling out a bottle of baby oil. He tossed that into the bag as well. Naughty thoughts filled his head. Stephen grinned wickedly as he considered playing ‘reindeer games’ with his partner of five years. Yep, this Christmas they would both ‘fill their stockings with care’.

After getting both suitcases packed with the rest of the items, Stephen lugged them down the steps and set them in the foyer. He glanced at his watch again, now almost five-thirty. Usually, Lonnie was home from the office. He’d left for work early this morning, so by Stephen’s calculations, he was now late. Brushing his hands, he headed to the kitchen to clean out the fridge. He didn’t want to come home to moldy fruit and smelly leftovers. It was quite the job and he lugged the garbage out to the dumpster in the back of the property. Back at the condo, he waited.

***

At twenty past six o’clock, Stephen heard the front door rattle. “Lonnie?” he called from the kitchen.

“Sorry, I’m late,” he heard his hubby call back. “Fucking A!”

Stephen rushed through the dining room and burst into the living room. “Was traffic bad?”

Lonnie was brushing white snowflakes from his hat and the sleeves of his coat onto the tile floor in the foyer. “It’s coming down like crazy out there. The streets were like a parking lot. Cars were just crawling through the snow. The wind is starting to pick up and visibility is practically zero.”

Stephen gaped at Lonnie. “Oh no,” he finally said quietly.

“Oh yes,” Lonnie said, struggling out of his coat. “The storm came early. Sorry honey.”

“But, Christmas…”

“Is tomorrow and we can’t make it to the lodge.”

“Everyone is already there and--“

Lonnie grabbed his partner and hugged him close. “Sorry, Stephen. We are spending Christmas here. Don’t freak out. At least we’re together.”

Stephen returned the embrace after a moment, but knew his face was slumped with disappointment. They would miss the singing, the laughing, and the delicious spread of the West Carlos Lake Lodge complete with prime rib and truffle mashed potatoes. His mood soured as he thought of the Kentucky Bourbon pie the resort was famous for.

“Let’s make the best of it,” Lonnie whispered in his ear. “Come on, it’ll be fun.”

“Okay,” Stephen replied, though he wasn’t feeling it.

***

Stephen stood at the window watching the white swirl beyond the glass. He’d been staring out at the blizzard believing in a flash it would be gone. The storm would end and they could hop in the SUV and drive northwest up I-94 to St. Cloud and their friends. Any minute, this weather would turn and their special Christmas could happen.

“Not getting any better, is it?”

“No,” Stephen said, feeling a bit guilty. “It’s not letting up at all.” He turned and saw Lonnie was toweling his hair. His face was flushed. A smile lit him up.

“Don’t mope,” his hubby said. “Let’s make something to eat and pick a movie to watch. Or, we could play cards or something.”

“Oh no,” Stephen whined. “We don’t have any groceries. I threw out the last of the leftovers and we don’t have anything fresh left. Christmas Eve dinner will have to be a frozen pizza or something.”

“I don’t care,” Lonnie said. “We’re safe and now I’ve warmed up.”

“Shower did the trick?”

“It did.” Lonnie once again took Stephen in his arms. They hugged and ended it with a kiss.

“Let’s see what there is to work with. We’ll make dinner together.”

Stephen nodded and followed him into the kitchen. As Lonnie opened up the fridge, Stephen could see the shelves gleaming, clean and empty.

“We’ve got some eggs. Here’s some parmesan cheese. You weren’t kidding. There’s not much here.”

Stephen took the items from Lonnie and set them on the counter. “What have you got in the freezer?” Lonnie asked.

Stephen opened up the top compartment. Other than the ice cube trays and a frozen pizza and a couple of TV dinners, there wasn’t much. He saw a half bag of hash browns, a small, square box of frozen spinach, and a bag of mixed vegetable, carrots, peas, and corn. “I guess I could make us eggs and hash browns,” he said.

“A-ha!” Lonnie said triumphantly. “Looks like you’ve got a can of mushrooms and there’s an onion. I know exactly what we’ll have. Grab those hash browns and the spinach.” Lonnie plopped the can and onion onto the cutting board. “We’re having a frittata for Christmas Eve dinner.”

“A frittata?” Stephen asked, then his face split into a grin. “Of course.”

Lonnie threw the box out of the freezer into a colander he had set into the sink. After running some warm water over it, he grabbed the cast iron skillet and placed it on a burner heating it up.

“Grab me the knife,” he said, grinning at Stephen.

“Here you go,” Stephen said, quickly pulling a bowl from the cupboard. He cracked the six eggs and started whisking them. “You know, this is kind of fun.”

“It’s like our own little scavenger hunt,” Lonnie said. He placed a couple of pats of butter in the blackened pan. “I’ll get these onions cooking and then we’ll season up the mushrooms at the same time.”

“Perfect,” Stephen said, adding a splash of sherry to the eggs. He sprinkled salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a little granulated garlic into the scrambled egg mixture. For good measure, he added some dried thyme and a little smoked paprika.

Lonnie picked up the cutting board and poured the diced onion into pan, they sputtered and released a white cloud of steam as they began to soften. He sprinkled a little salt and using the pepper mill, generously added some spice to them. He turned to the counter and picked up the little can of mushrooms. “Hand me the opener, please.”

“Here you go honey,” Stephen answered, handing him the implement. Lonnie opened the can, drained it, and tossed the mushrooms into the crackling pan. “We’ll get some color and snap to the mushrooms.”

“Let’s add some Worcestershire sauce at the end. That will make them meatier.”

“Lovely,” Lonnie answered, grabbing the bottle out of the fridge. After a couple more minutes, Lonnie scooped the cooked vegetables out of the pan and into a small bowl. He put a couple more pats of butter in the hot skillet and then grabbed the hash browns. “Let’s get these going and I’ll see if the spinach has thawed out yet.”

“I’ll check on the spinach,” Stephen said. He sprayed more warm water on the box and pressing with his fingertips, recognized the edges were softening. He opened the package up and sprayed it again. “Almost ready.”

“Scrape off the thawed part, squeeze it dry and add to the mushrooms and onions. That way they won’t curdle the eggs.”

“Good thinking,” Stephen replied. He did as Lonnie suggested and kissed the other man as they passed each other. “Who needs a lodge and friends?”

“Not me,” Lonnie said, smirking and turned the heat off on the stove. The Christmas Eve supper would have to wait.

“Come with me.”

He took Stephen’s hand and they raced to the bedroom. The two men enjoyed ‘making their spirits bright’.

***

After another shower, Lonnie got the hash browns cooking in the cast iron pan. He mixed the drained spinach, mushrooms, onions, and egg mixture together. Stephen came into the room, giggling and pulling on a sweatshirt. He was wearing long shorts and big furry slippers.

“Somebody’s ready for bed.”

“I’m starving,” Stephen said.

“That was a good workout.”

“It was the perfect Christmas present.”

“It was.” Lonnie kissed Stephen on the nose. “Why don’t you find a movie to watch while I finish up here. All I need to do is add the egg mixture on top of the half cooked potatoes and top with the parmesan cheese. I’ll pop it in the oven and Bob’s-your-uncle, we’ll have a jolly frittata for supper.

“A Nelly frittata,” Stephen said, chuckling. “For our very gay Christmas.”

“Our own private celebration. Merry Christmas, Stephen.”

“Merry Christmas, Lonnie.”

Thank you for all the likes and wonderful comments on Door#1! :hug:
This was door#2. We hope you enjoyed what was behind it. Thank you for reading. Likes are always welcome. ;)
Any guesses who wrote it? You can leave your thoughts by pressing the review button and/or at the story thread.
Copyright © 2016 aditus, Cole Matthews, Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I'm guessing not-Cole.

 

Fun story, but not an experience I've ever lived through. And not just the snow! ;-)

 

My refrigerator and pantry could almost be an Iron Chef challenge (I've only seen the Japanese version – a long time ago). I have a few things that are basics, a few that I consider basics that others would question, and lots of gaps (including no ground pepper). There are times when I really struggle to figure out how to put anything together to eat (and it's not anything like the person with the closet full of clothes who can't decide what to wear).

 

If I ever managed to get a live-in boyfriend, I'd be thrilled to turn over the kitchen. And the cleaning. I'm not sure I'd have anything to contribute to the relationship which explains why there is no live-in boyfriend. ;-)

Link to comment

The birth of new traditions! I love it. So often we are awash in memories and desire to reenact rituals at the holidays we're not on the outlook for new ones. This story proves that sometimes they sneak up, insist and find us all on their own.

 

A Christmas Frittata! A new, heartwarming custom is born, and one that I bet will be repeated for Stephen and Lonnie for years to come.

 

Thanks (Cole…?) for a brilliant little stocking-stuffer : )

  • Love 1
Link to comment

This is fun! A new treat every day...and this one was such a lovely treat. They will remember this Christmas for years to come; they will date their memories by their frittata. I agree with AC, that we often reenact without looking for something new and beautiful on its own. Great story.....um, Val, I think.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I was trying to guess at nelly frittata and was coming up blank. What a great little romantic moment! Sometimes those impromptu moments really are the most fun! You all are two for two. Thanks. Jeff

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I love frittata ... they are likely my favorite thing to make for breakfast ... and ... I love breakfast for dinner. Sadly when I am at home in the snowy North I've no one to share with except my pup ... an adorable little dark eyed boy who is also fond of frittata. Still, I was able to imagine cuddling up with my beloved to eat by the soft glow of the lighted Christmas tree with carols playing softly in the background, perhaps warmed by a fire crackling in the fireplace ...
Thank you dear author.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Isn't that the most important? To be together, snug and safe? Even my kids want that most of all, just have time to spend without having to rush off somewhere. The lodge will still be there another time.

 

I'm guessing Aditus here.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

What's that saying. Oh, yes "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". Lonnie and Stephen more than made up for missing out on their trip to the lodge. I think they will have a very merry Christmas after all. Nice story. :)

 

As to which of you three wrote this tale? At first I was thinking Cole with the references to locations in his home state. But no, I think they're nothing but red herrings. My vote is for Val. :)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Something warm and touching and mushy like this tale goes a long way to brighten up my day ... Damn, I'm letting you all (authors) getting to me, my emotions are all over the place, so I'd advise others not to open the doors to this calendar one after the other in quick succession ...
:gikkle:

 

Thank you all ! I think this is written by Cole but out of the three of you I've only read his stories so far. I do apologise and will remedy this oversight as soon as possible !
:read:
:read:

  • Love 1
Link to comment

That was a cute story!

 

Like Stephen, I would have been disappointed too at not being able to see my friends, but they did make the best out of the situation.

 

Hmm, there was talk of food in this chapter and the making of said food. Who could have written this... :lmao:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Aw! They didn't get to see their friends. But they made the best of it. :) It was a super sweet and cozy story- it certainly warmed my heart.
Thank you for writing this! :hug:

Link to comment

I think Penguin wrote this -_- This is fun, I like secret author stories :)
This story was very cute, made me smile :)

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 06:56 PM, Slytherin said:

I think Penguin wrote this -_- This is fun, I like secret author stories :)

This story was very cute, made me smile :)

Cole: I’m glad you’re enjoying the secret writer thing and I’m happy you liked the story. I do love happy endings most of the time. I appreciate the comments!!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 02:16 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

Aw! They didn't get to see their friends. But they made the best of it. :) It was a super sweet and cozy story- it certainly warmed my heart.

Thank you for writing this! :hug:

Cole: They stayed comfy and cozy and established a new family tradition. I think sometimes that’s how these things get started. Thanks for the review.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 01:38 PM, Lisa said:

That was a cute story!

 

Like Stephen, I would have been disappointed too at not being able to see my friends, but they did make the best out of the situation.

 

Hmm, there was talk of food in this chapter and the making of said food. Who could have written this... :lmao:

Cole: You’ll find a lot of talk of food from all of us. The season screams treats and comfort foods. Maybe one of our favorites will become something you enjoy as well. Thanks for the lovely review my darling!!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 12:52 PM, hohochan657 said:

Something warm and touching and mushy like this tale goes a long way to brighten up my day ... Damn, I'm letting you all (authors) getting to me, my emotions are all over the place, so I'd advise others not to open the doors to this calendar one after the other in quick succession ...

:gikkle:

 

Thank you all ! I think this is written by Cole but out of the three of you I've only read his stories so far. I do apologise and will remedy this oversight as soon as possible !

:read:

:read:

Cole: I’m glad you’re enjoying our stories. I think it will give you a taste of all of our writing styles. There is more emotion and some laughter and fun as well. Thanks for commenting and being part of our holiday.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 11:16 AM, Reader1810 said:

What's that saying. Oh, yes "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". Lonnie and Stephen more than made up for missing out on their trip to the lodge. I think they will have a very merry Christmas after all. Nice story. :)

 

As to which of you three wrote this tale? At first I was thinking Cole with the references to locations in his home state. But no, I think they're nothing but red herrings. My vote is for Val. :)

Cole: Red herrings!!! As if we’d be that tricky!!! Of course we could have. Thanks so much for enjoying this story. We need to make the best of things and sometimes it’s even better than the original plan. I appreciate your delightful review.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 09:52 AM, Puppilull said:

Isn't that the most important? To be together, snug and safe? Even my kids want that most of all, just have time to spend without having to rush off somewhere. The lodge will still be there another time.

 

I'm guessing Aditus here.

Cole: The most important part is being together and enjoying the time. Ran and I don’t get enough sometimes because work and other things get in the way. I think Lonnie and Stephen enjoyed learning that lesson. Thanks for the kind review!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 09:39 AM, dughlas said:

I love frittata ... they are likely my favorite thing to make for breakfast ... and ... I love breakfast for dinner. Sadly when I am at home in the snowy North I've no one to share with except my pup ... an adorable little dark eyed boy who is also fond of frittata. Still, I was able to imagine cuddling up with my beloved to eat by the soft glow of the lighted Christmas tree with carols playing softly in the background, perhaps warmed by a fire crackling in the fireplace ...

Thank you dear author.

Cole: Like you, we love a frittata which is both as elaborate as you want and yet simple and delicious. Having a lovely companion of any species is special. A warm fire, some lovely music, and happy thoughts are what we all share. Thanks for the awesome comments!!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 05:09 AM, JeffreyL said:

I was trying to guess at nelly frittata and was coming up blank. What a great little romantic moment! Sometimes those impromptu moments really are the most fun! You all are two for two. Thanks. Jeff

Cole: Sometimes these spontaneous events can create the best memories. They get people to react naturally and since these guys love each other, they had a blast. I’m glad you enjoyed the story. Thanks for the warm and touching comments!!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 03:00 AM, Parker Owens said:

This is fun! A new treat every day...and this one was such a lovely treat. They will remember this Christmas for years to come; they will date their memories by their frittata. I agree with AC, that we often reenact without looking for something new and beautiful on its own. Great story.....um, Val, I think.

Cole: I’m glad you’re enjoying the treats! We wanted to give a mix of emotions in these little stories and literary amuse bouches. Thanks for the lovely review.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/03/2016 02:02 AM, AC Benus said:

The birth of new traditions! I love it. So often we are awash in memories and desire to reenact rituals at the holidays we're not on the outlook for new ones. This story proves that sometimes they sneak up, insist and find us all on their own.

 

A Christmas Frittata! A new, heartwarming custom is born, and one that I bet will be repeated for Stephen and Lonnie for years to come.

 

Thanks (Cole…?) for a brilliant little stocking-stuffer : )

Cole: I’m glad you enjoyed the stocking stuffer and yes, you are a very good guesser. I have a theory I presented in this vignette. Think of American Thanksgiving as an event which celebrated coming out of a time of want. Christmas and yule are holidays of light in the time of darkness. Both seem to have roots in hard times which generate a rich tradition of reflection coming from hard times.

Thank you for such an insightful and lovely review!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2016 05:30 PM, droughtquake said:

I'm guessing not-Cole.

 

Fun story, but not an experience I've ever lived through. And not just the snow! ;-)

 

My refrigerator and pantry could almost be an Iron Chef challenge (I've only seen the Japanese version – a long time ago). I have a few things that are basics, a few that I consider basics that others would question, and lots of gaps (including no ground pepper). There are times when I really struggle to figure out how to put anything together to eat (and it's not anything like the person with the closet full of clothes who can't decide what to wear).

 

If I ever managed to get a live-in boyfriend, I'd be thrilled to turn over the kitchen. And the cleaning. I'm not sure I'd have anything to contribute to the relationship which explains why there is no live-in boyfriend. ;-)

Cole: Oh, I’m sure you have hidden talents to share. For example, you’re a wonderful reviewer who made my day with a giggle!!! Perhaps we could have a version of Chopped with your pantry and fridge!!! Anyway, thanks for a thoughtful and jolly review. It’s much appreciated.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I was late to this, so I can't guess :) . Cute story, Cole. The frittata sounded lovely. I'm glad they figured out what was most important. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..