Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 1,952 Words
  • 5,933 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Holly and the Ivy - 2. The Letter

The Holly and the Ivy

Chapter Two

It was a strange sensation, being hot and cold at the same time. Something warm and solid was in front of me, yet the back of my head felt cold. A shiver ran down my spine and I instinctively tried to get closer to the warmth. Until my brain booted, and I realized I was cuddling with someone lying beside me. I rolled quickly away. Pain spiked through my head, making me lie still. I panted through the hurt, until it became bearable, then slowly opened my eyes to a concerned face hovering over me. Again. Diarmad? At least I knew the guy this time. “What happened?”

“I’m so sorry Noël. When Ronan saw you leaping up from your chair, he thought you were going to attack me. He is my bodyguard and reacted on instinct. Your head hit the wall pretty hard. Moira says you have a concussion. She gave you something for the pain, but it makes you sleepy, and someone had to watch you.”

“And you volunteered to be the someone who’s holding an ice pack against my head?”

He shrugged. “Yes. As useless as I am right now, that’s something I can do at least.”

“Hmm…” I felt queasy and my head was spinning. They must have given me some strong stuff; I couldn’t keep my eyes open. Still, I had to know what my grandma’s friend was doing at the cabin of Landyn’s boss. This was so confusing. “You’re one of Landyn’s friends too?”

“Sleep, Noël. I promise I’ll explain everything to you later.” I thought I felt his hand in my hair as I drifted back to sleep.

Next time I woke up, Diarmad Guerin was sleeping beside me. I could watch him unnoticed. With his face relaxed, he looked a little better than he had before. Still, there were dark circles under his eyes. He was deathly pale, thin, his clothes were much too big on him. He must have gotten seriously ill since I last saw him. Then I remembered he had said: ‘as useless as I am…’. Maybe he was dying. And suddenly I felt oddly protective of a man I barely knew. I wanted to know what was going on, if there was a cure. I wanted him to live. Ridiculous.

Diarmad seemed to feel me watching him; when I looked again, his eyes were wide open, and he pulled back from me. “How are you feeling?”

I still remembered the searing pain I had felt when I had moved too fast earlier and sat up very carefully. “Much better; the headache is almost gone.” I gingerly touched the backside of my head. “I can feel only a slight bump. I guess the ice pack helped reducing the swelling.” I checked along my arms next. “There are some bruises on my forearms and from the feel of it, on my back also. They will be gone soon. I heal fast, always have.”

With some effort, Diarmad settled himself beside me against the headboard. “I bet.” When the silence was getting awkward, he took in a deep breath. “Look, I know you have questions. I’ve been thinking for weeks about how to explain this to you.”

Explain? This? And for weeks?

“I decided to take the coward’s way out and let somebody else do it. Somebody you know and trust.” He passed me a light green envelope, the same type my grandmother had always used.

“Is this…” turning the envelope around in my hand, I looked at him with my heart in my throat.

“Yes. Your grandmother wrote this letter for you. I asked her to do it in case…” He swallowed a few times. “Read it and then we will talk.” He hesitated briefly. “Do you want me to leave the room?”

“No…no,” I said absentmindedly, already opening the letter with my thumb. I found two sheets of paper, and inhaled sharply. He had said the truth. I recognized my grandmother’s neat handwriting.

 

Noël – Diarmad Guerin asked me to write this letter to you.

“You asked her to write this? Why?”

He shook his head. “Please Noël, just read, then we talk.”

Who was he? Why did he have a letter for me from my grandmother? So many questions. I wanted answers, but I could tell he wouldn’t give them to me until I had read the letter.

I didn’t want to, but you will learn very fast how persuasive he can be. He said if there ever is a chance you will believe anything of this, it has to come from me. Something happened and I can’t talk to you personally, for which I apologize. I neglected my duty to you and the king.

Nana would never neglect her duty. What king?

But enough with all this dancing around. You know me as a person who always addresses a problem head on, so that is exactly what I’m going to do now. You are the strongest. You will understand and not shirk your duties.

The strongest of what? Or who? I looked up, but Diarmad had closed his eyes, clearly signaling he wouldn’t talk to me until I had finished the letter.

For many centuries, two societies have lived together on Earth, to the benefit of both, human and Seraei. Not many humans know about them, because they have the ability to look like us and stay mostly by themselves.

Aliens? I snorted. Diarmad opened his eyes, and scowled at me. “Read!”

When the Seraei are born, they are Aparta, loosely in our language this means single. After reaching adulthood, they start the search for their destined mate, who will not only be their lover, but also a corresponding spirit they need to outbalance their own. Without him or her, they will wither away and eventually go mad. Their mate can’t be a Seraei but must always come from another species, logically on Earth this would be a human.

Wither away? I couldn’t help myself and stole another glance at Diarmad. He looked sick, as if something was sucking the life force from him. “Read!”

There usually is no immediate pull like you see it in the movies. After Seraei find their other half, they approach them carefully and try getting to know them. They court them, and if they fall in love and want to stay together, they eventually celebrate the joining ritual. It equals our marriage, afterwards Seraei and human become Kune, which means together. From now on we share their extended lifespan; and sometimes, depending on the strength of the Seraei, some of their powers.

I couldn’t help it. I snorted again. Extended life span…maybe wings too?

Most of the Seraei living on Earth now are also born here. There are others, the Ancients, who came here ages ago from another world. These leaders have a more complicated way to mate. Their soul is too powerful too old; it can’t be outbalanced just by one human soul, it needs two. Once they meet the human bearing the first half of their future mate’s spirit, they live in a relationship based mostly on friendship and fraternal love. After this human dies, his or her soul will be reborn, joined with the soul of their final mate.

Holy crap! Those Seraei have a very complicated life.

Noël, keep in mind the human will never be forced. If they don't fall in love with the Seraei, they are free to live their life, never to be bothered again. They are made to forget the Seraei exist.

One person with two souls? How could this work?

It's very difficult for the Ancients to find their final mates. This is where my Order helps them. We have a special aptitude to find joined souls and locate their Seraei mates.

“She was a member of an order? This gets better and better…”

“Noël…”

“Yes, yes…Read. I know.”

Their King hasn’t completed his circle yet, because for him it is even more complicated.

Of course.

His soul is the most powerful and gains power still. To outbalance and anchor him, he needs three strong human souls, each with another purpose. The first represents the Servant. The second is his loyal friend and Brother. It is the third person who has to be the strongest, because he is not only 'the glue' for three shared personalities, but also the Sire’s lover and partner… who equals him in every way. He will be the only one who has the right to counter the King, if necessary. There are decisions that need to be made by both of them; for they both have to be in agreement.

Everything I have told you so far might be unbelievable and even shocking in itself,

You don’t say.

still, it's not the reason I'm writing this letter.

No, it should help you to understand who you are.

Who I am? Then it clicked in my head. King. Diarmad had the letter. KING Diarmad? “You’re their king?” He didn’t answer me. “Hey! I asked you a—”

“Noël, please read the letter.”

I itched to throw the letter into his face. I wanted to say: Enough with this bullshit! But there was something…I could almost put my finger on it…a feeling – no a knowledge, buried deep in my mind... Could this really be true?

King Diarmad met the first and the second soul, but then had to wait centuries for the third to be born. Seventeen years ago, his waiting ended. It was my third grandson who showed the unique ability to harbor and eventually merge two joined souls together with his own. He is the strongest, destined future mate of the King.

“What?”

Yes that’s right; you are the one.

No!

I can see the outrage on your face, Noël. How could I not tell you! Because you could never know any of this, it would have been against their law. It protects the innocent from undue influence on the part of their older mates. Therefore, even though he is their king, like every other unmated Seraei, Diarmad can only see you once a year until you’re eighteen. He could never reveal who he is to you, nor could I.

“That’s why she made me talk to you every year at Christmas Mass since I was three!”

And if this wouldn’t be enough already, fights for leadership broke out among the Seraei on Earth. We fear that one of the factions might try to prevent the King from finding his mate and completing the cycle by killing you. Therefore, you needed special protection. Only a few could know of your existence. If ever something were to happen to you, the King's soul would never find balance and he would die without the chance to be reborn.

As one of your protectors, I swore to guard you at all costs, so if you’re reading this I most likely died doing my duty. Please don’t be sad, be proud of me, like I am of you, my grandson the King’s mate.

One last thing: Fear not. You can always refuse the mating. It is still by your own free will. If you can’t love him, King Diarmad is prepared to die.

Love can't be forced. A Seraei mating doesn’t work without love.

I always thought how horrible it must be to get a letter from a dead person, so I am writing this in the hope you will never see it, and I can burn it after your eighteenth birthday.

I love you.

Nana Eleanora

My hands trembled as I folded the letter and put it back in its envelope.

I promise the next chapter will be longer. There is a discussion thread now. smile.png
Copyright © 2017 aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 61
  • Love 3
  • Wow 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Curiouser and curiouser and you had to stop when he finished the letter, well of course you did. You've given us some answers and more questions. We knew Noel had to be special but this, you've created an intriguing premise, I want to know how this all unfolds.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Some choice... "Sure, you're free to decline of course. That only means that the king will die. No biggie!"

 

Nice to have that on his young shoulders...

 

But does this mean there are two other souls in him? Or are they waiting for a good time to merge? Also a very comforting discovery...

 

I'll keep reading for sure!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Poor kid, finding out his nana died protecting him. But, how then was he allowed to travel on a bus by himself with God knows who? Doesn't seem so safe to me. And Ronan is a really rough bodyguard huh! That all said, I am surprised they doubt who Noel is, b/c it seems Guerin would know wouldn't he? He's clearly banked on it being Noel for 17 years. Quite the head trip for this kid. I can't wait to learn more about this race! I can understand how Simon would feel if his brother was one of the souls of the King who had to die so that his and another soul could live in a third person. His wish that his brother was the 'strongest' so he could have him live. Would be hard. But, I would think he'd feel some warmth later if he knew his brother's soul was in Noel. How old is Guerin? Will they bond and come to love each other? I look forward to getting to know this world. Seems interesting and different than the more typical werewolves or vampires. What abilities will they have? What threats are out there? Are they others of the same species? More!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/09/2015 09:32 PM, dughlas said:

Curiouser and curiouser and you had to stop when he finished the letter, well of course you did. You've given us some answers and more questions. We knew Noel had to be special but this, you've created an intriguing premise, I want to know how this all unfolds.

Well, the letter was a bit much and Noel needed a break to think. ;) Thank you, dughlas for your comment. :) I'm glad you still like it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/09/2015 10:53 PM, Puppilull said:

Some choice... "Sure, you're free to decline of course. That only means that the king will die. No biggie!"

 

Nice to have that on his young shoulders...

 

But does this mean there are two other souls in him? Or are they waiting for a good time to merge? Also a very comforting discovery...

 

I'll keep reading for sure!

There will be some more explaining in the next chapters. But you're right, not easy to be Noel. Thank you, Puppi. I'm glad you'll keep reading. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/09/2015 11:23 PM, avidreadr said:

Very interesting and a bit unusual, with the three souls. I look forward to reading more.

...a bit unusual. Good! Thank you, avidreader!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/09/2015 11:37 PM, flamingo136 said:

Lots of information....like Noel, I'll have to digest it for a while.....can't wait for more.......:)Mike

Lol, yes lots of information. That's why the chapter ended here. Thank you for your comment, Mike! I'm glad you want more. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/10/2015 01:03 AM, Cannd said:

Poor kid, finding out his nana died protecting him. But, how then was he allowed to travel on a bus by himself with God knows who? Doesn't seem so safe to me. And Ronan is a really rough bodyguard huh! That all said, I am surprised they doubt who Noel is, b/c it seems Guerin would know wouldn't he? He's clearly banked on it being Noel for 17 years. Quite the head trip for this kid. I can't wait to learn more about this race! I can understand how Simon would feel if his brother was one of the souls of the King who had to die so that his and another soul could live in a third person. His wish that his brother was the 'strongest' so he could have him live. Would be hard. But, I would think he'd feel some warmth later if he knew his brother's soul was in Noel. How old is Guerin? Will they bond and come to love each other? I look forward to getting to know this world. Seems interesting and different than the more typical werewolves or vampires. What abilities will they have? What threats are out there? Are they others of the same species? More!

Valid objections which will be explained in the next chapters. :) Thank you for your thoughtful comment, Cannd! Many questions... they will be answered eventually. I like that you want to know more about this world. :D

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I feel for Noel, he is in a really difficult position ... someone else's life is in his hands. Someone who his grandmother obviously respected. But I also feel for the Seraei, especially the Ancients. In order to be whole and not go mad they must watch someone (or in the case of the King, two people) they care about die, so their spirit can be entwined with another. Sure I guess the person they loved is back in a way, but that still must be hard to deal with...loving that person but knowing you are dependent on their death to survive. What a position to be in.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Oh, Noel.. What a lot for him to take in. I can't imagine what's going through his mind. Well maybe I could because I probably would be just as confused or freaked out. He's in such a tough position, and the choice kind of really bites. If he does nothing, the king dies, somewhere nana is disappointed.. Difficult.
Very interesting species, the Serai. This is very different and I'm very intrigued by the souls inhabiting someone. I want to know so much more.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/10/2015 02:03 PM, LitLover said:

I feel for Noel, he is in a really difficult position ... someone else's life is in his hands. Someone who his grandmother obviously respected. But I also feel for the Seraei, especially the Ancients. In order to be whole and not go mad they must watch someone (or in the case of the King, two people) they care about die, so their spirit can be entwined with another. Sure I guess the person they loved is back in a way, but that still must be hard to deal with...loving that person but knowing you are dependent on their death to survive. What a position to be in.

And you laid out the dilemma perfectly. What did I do? Right? Emotions to play with, impossible situations to solve...I'm way over my head, haha. Thank you for your comment, Lit. I'm glad your reading my story and tell me what you think. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/10/2015 03:20 PM, Defiance19 said:

Oh, Noel.. What a lot for him to take in. I can't imagine what's going through his mind. Well maybe I could because I probably would be just as confused or freaked out. He's in such a tough position, and the choice kind of really bites. If he does nothing, the king dies, somewhere nana is disappointed.. Difficult.

Very interesting species, the Serai. This is very different and I'm very intrigued by the souls inhabiting someone. I want to know so much more.

I'm so glad you think this is different! I wanted it to be just that. Noel needs to be special to do the right things and not to freak too much. Thank you for your review, Def. I always love getting you know your thoughts. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I cannot imagine what Noel is going through. His sweet, loving grandma belonged to an Order? And she knew since the day he was born that he was the king's mate? Holy crap. How many other secrets did she keep from him?

 

Great writing, Addy! :) I love Noel's inner thoughts; he's so funny! :D

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 10/29/2015 10:56 AM, Lisa said:

I cannot imagine what Noel is going through. His sweet, loving grandma belonged to an Order? And she knew since the day he was born that he was the king's mate? Holy crap. How many other secrets did she keep from him?

 

Great writing, Addy! :) I love Noel's inner thoughts; he's so funny! :D

Thank you, Lisa! Sometimes I think of something he should think to make you laugh, lol. Did this make sense? Hahaha.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Unique! Intriguing, and dare I say it, original. Good for you adi! See I said I'd be back on the weekend, but I couldn't stay away!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 02/03/2016 06:36 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Unique! Intriguing, and dare I say it, original. Good for you adi! See I said I'd be back on the weekend, but I couldn't stay away!

Wow! Thank you, Tim! Glad you like it so far. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

And now, I am more intrigued... That was quite a revelation, and a very unique premise... I'm wondering if his workmate and Simon are the other two souls... or is Simon from a different faction since he didn't exactly welcome Noel with open arms... this was my bedtime story... I'll be back... cheers... Gary...

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/04/2016 05:33 PM, Headstall said:

And now, I am more intrigued... That was quite a revelation, and a very unique premise... I'm wondering if his workmate and Simon are the other two souls... or is Simon from a different faction since he didn't exactly welcome Noel with open arms... this was my bedtime story... I'll be back... cheers... Gary...

And the story is waiting for you... :) If it will be your bedtime story, you'll have some interesting dreams I'm sure.

Love to read about your ideas. Thanks, Gary!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • 'Everything I have told you so far might be unbelievable and even shocking in itself,' You don’t say. - LMAO. Best line ever.
  • 'It was my third grandson who showed the unique ability to harbor and eventually merge two joined souls together with his own.' - Hopefully this will be explained further as we keep reading. 
  • “That’s why she made me talk to you every year at Christmas Mass since I was three!” - Well, that prologue's starting to make a little more sense now. How fitting it was that they still met up during Christmas Mass even at the end of their, as of yet unknown, rope?
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Thirdly said:
  • 'Everything I have told you so far might be unbelievable and even shocking in itself,' You don’t say. - LMAO. Best line ever.
  • 'It was my third grandson who showed the unique ability to harbor and eventually merge two joined souls together with his own.' - Hopefully this will be explained further as we keep reading. 
  • “That’s why she made me talk to you every year at Christmas Mass since I was three!” - Well, that prologue's starting to make a little more sense now. How fitting it was that they still met up during Christmas Mass even at the end of their, as of yet unknown, rope?

Well, that prologue's starting to make a little more sense now. (I'm glad.) *snort*

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

I have never been so thankful that there is a next chapter after this so I can read immediately.

Diarmad and Noel are mates, thousands of books I have read. (I am human and my reads are limited) and never found a twist as interesting as this. I love that Diarmad is not a representative of an organization but potential lover to Noel instead, I love how weakened he is, his emotions as a king is displayed when he admit that this is the least he can do in his state.

How will Noel react? That should interesting. 
We can tell how Diarmad is the older one every time he says, "Read!" 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, SilverArdour said:

I have never been so thankful that there is a next chapter after this so I can read immediately.

Diarmad and Noel are mates, thousands of books I have read. (I am human and my reads are limited) and never found a twist as interesting as this. I love that Diarmad is not a representative of an organization but potential lover to Noel instead, I love how weakened he is, his emotions as a king is displayed when he admit that this is the least he can do in his state.

How will Noel react? That should interesting. 
We can tell how Diarmad is the older one every time he says, "Read!" 

I love seeing you experiencing the story all over again, as if you'd never read it before. Thank you for this.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..