Jump to content
    Agaith
  • Author
  • 1,053 Words
  • 5,699 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Seeing Double - 1. Chapter 1

Ok dear readers, this is my first true full length story that I have written so bear with me, I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing it.
CHAPTER 1- Matt

The weather greeted us in the usual October manner, heavy drizzle endlessly falling onto the already saturated ground.
We could see everyone else moving towards a nearby building and with a nod we got out of the car.
After only seconds of being outside of the shelter of the car the rain was already trying to invade my waterproof. I scowled.

“Oh come on Matthew just a few minutes and you will be back in the warm.” My mum said with a smile.
I managed a weak smile in reply, but she could see the nerves behind the smile.

“Matthew.” Both my parents said in unison which made me genuinely smile. “You’ve got to make an effort at University.”

“It’s easy for you to say dad you’ve always been able to speak with people first time round.” I replied annoyed that this had come up yet again, mere minutes before I would leave them for more than a week for the first time in my life.

They could tell they wouldn’t get anywhere so they dropped the subject mercifully.
I went to the boot of the car to collect my belongings when a stab of pain erupted from inside my mind.

“Not...now...” I cried.

From across the quad, the large crowd that were queuing to get into the building for the welcome speech suddenly cried out with me, and in that moment I could sense every emotion and everyone of their thoughts; the general sense of anxiety permeated my mind and did nothing but to strengthen my own feeling of it as well.
My parents, wearing the charms I had constructed, were protected from the backlash but I didn’t need my powers to read their emotions and thoughts; the look of worry was plastered over every inch of both of them.

Slowly I regained my composure and soothed the thoughts of the crowd with a command of my own and they went back to chatting as before.
“I thought you had that under control?” My mum asked; a touch of accusation in her voice.

“Nearly all the time mum, sometimes it just appears out of the blue; I’ll ask Ailarha next time we meet.”

“Make sure you do. Where are you going to perform the Release?”

“I’ve seen a park not too far away from here that I could use in the small hours. If not, the lake is deep enough.”

“Underwater?”

“Remember Portugal? When I was away that night? Well there was nowhere on land that I could be safe enough with so I tried it underwater. It’s more difficult but it’s possible.”

My mum just looked at me incredulously.

“We almost had to tell the rest of family what you do that night.” Dad interjected due to my mum’s inability to speak at that moment.

“Well you know that I can’t let it fester. Anyway we need to make our way inside.”

They took my hint and we set off quietly towards the rest of the crowd giving me time to reflect on what has actually happened to me in the last few months and it sounds quite unbelievable to me as well.

The first thing is I have magical powers if magic can be believed. They manifested almost a year ago and I have been learning to control them ever since; only my mind remained intact during the process. What people see is a shell. I will save that story for later though.
The other big turning point in my life was that I came out as gay a few weeks after I turned 18. In truth I wasn’t ready but a backlash not too dissimilar to the one earlier coursed through my friends and family, as well as receiving some of their thoughts, this time one big secret was exchanged and in that split second I was out.

Fortunately my parents were great about it, my grandparents, more specifically my granddad not so. Many of my friends supported me as well, but they are all up in my hometown.

I shook myself out of my reverie as we stepped through the large doors to be met with a wave of warm dry air that was met with a chorus of “That’s better” by us.

A chuckle came to us and we turned to face the noise. I immediately blushed, for all my powers meeting new people, especially the hot new guy that just chuckled himself into my life, makes me incredibly nervous. Too nervous. In fact I totally shut down when meeting new people. I think this is the reason I can’t make friends easily. I just go into emotionless freak mode.

“I’m Daniel, or Dan.” Dan said, his green eyes showed genuine interest in saying hello and then he held out his hand and I paled. Physical contact is one the surest ways of a psychic connection that I haven’t truly mastered.
Fuck it I thought, a rare moment of daring rearing its head. I grasped his hand and replied “Matthew, or Matt”. We ended the handshake and my hand was tingling from his touch, then a wonderful thought crossed my mind. No backlash!

Once the greeting was out of the way I tried to look at him properly; he was taller than me by a good few inches which put him at about 6’ 1”. He had light brown hair which brought out his sparkling green eyes that shone with intrigue.

My eyes briefly looked down and saw a defined but not overly muscular physique. My mouth was going dry and I quickly looked up to see him still smiling; if it wasn’t so cute it would be infuriating right now!
To save me further embarrassment he said “Well here’s your welcome pack and hope to see around during fresher’s Matt.”

“Um, yeah” was about as articulate as I could be in front of the first guy to make me blush. He then went to greet another arrival.

“Well... he was nice.” Mum said knowingly.

“Shut up.” I said half playfully.

“He must be a 2ndyear at least.” Mum said half to herself.

“Uh huh.” I replied as we went into the lecture theatre.

Somehow I could see things being more complicated than I would have liked this year.

 

Copyright © 2011 Agaith; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 01/07/2011 06:42 AM, freakthefreakout said:
Good start :) I am definitely gonna want to find out more about the lead character....
As I keep getting told I cause more questions than I answer so be prepared :PThanks for reading
Link to comment

Really interesting start! Handling magical povers and coming out must be a struggle ;) Nicely introduced lead. Gonna spend my night with this story and I'll be popping some ideas in the reviews as I read (if my mind isn't going blank from insomnia, in witch case I'll have to do some serious re-reading tomorrow). Looking forward for the rest of the chappys!

Link to comment
On 02/01/2011 08:15 AM, Marzipan said:
Really interesting start! Handling magical povers and coming out must be a struggle ;) Nicely introduced lead. Gonna spend my night with this story and I'll be popping some ideas in the reviews as I read (if my mind isn't going blank from insomnia, in witch case I'll have to do some serious re-reading tomorrow). Looking forward for the rest of the chappys!
yeah both at the same time is a sod isnt it? lol Glad you like the opening :)
Link to comment

Well! who would have thought you had this in you? no naughty puns to that :P Its good I'm going to read more, well done lad, I'm suprised LOL :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..