Jump to content
    AleMaho
  • Author
  • 872 Words
  • 1,364 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Midnigt Sea - 1. Midnight Sea

I sneaked out while slowly closing the door. I did not want to wake up my roommates. The floor creaked with every step I took. Apparently, the wood was old enough.

I walked toward the kitchen and opened up the backdoor. I carefully closed this door too and soon found myself outside. Midnight was really cold.

I zipped my jacket and carefully stepped down the creaky steps. I look both sides before crossing the Resort Villa's street, for it is anything but normal to find a 16 year old outside his cabin in the middle of the night.

My cabin was behind another cabin, separated by the street. My neighbor cabin was deserted, yet I ran out of fear, jumping the fence that separated that cabin with the beach area.

My feet stepped on the cold sand. It felt so nice and good. I looked around again to see if anyone was watching me. I quickly ran across the palm trees to find myself just a few feet away from the sea.

I closed my eyes, knowing no one was there, and joyfully heard the crashing sounds the waves made. I could feel and taste the salt in the air. It felt like magic.

I dug my feet deeper into the sand. The coldness of it made me laugh. The waves kept crashing ashore. The sea looked dark and mysterious. So many things lived there. So many mysteries it held...

"I wasn't expecting someone else to be here,"

I immediately turned and met a young boy, probably the same age as me, looking straight into the horizon.

"Isn't it amazing?" he said.

"Yes. Really beautiful,"

We both stood in silent for a minute. He probably liked to hear the crashing waves as much as I did.

"What brings you here?" he asked me.

"I rarely come to the beach," I said. "I really enjoy it at this hour,"

I smiled and look straight into his eyes.

"What brings you here?"

He spoke, staring at the horizon again.

"I got tired of hoping, tired of running and tired of fighting. I think I’m ready now,"

His answer made no sense whatsoever.

"Do you believe in love at first sight?" he asked.

I must admit I blushed. Why was he asking me that? Although truth be told, he wasn't that bad. Pale skin, gorgeous green eyes, dirty blonde hair, well dressed... He was a really handsome guy.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I'm not..."

"Gay?"

"Interested at the moment," I finished.

He laughed.

"That's ok. I wasn't talking about us anyway!"

"Oh!"

I felt like an idiot.

"I meant the sea,"

I took a look at the gigantic, natural pool. The water still looked dark and the waves kept crashing.

"The first time I saw the sea, I fell in love with it," he said.

I gave him a funny look.

"I know. I sound stupid..."

"No! No! It's just funny!"

We both laughed.

"What are you up to for tomorrow?" I asked. "Maybe we can hang out,"

"I would love that," he said. "But I’m afraid I can't,"

"How come?"

"Because it's time,"

"What do you mean?"

"You must leave," he said, almost in a whisper.

I gave him a worried look.

"What? Why?"

"Please just leave," he said.

He shook his head as if he were sleepy, rapidly closing and opening his eyes in order to stay awake.

"Is something wrong?" I asked. "Are you feeling ok?"

"I'm fine. It's probably just the pills doing. Please just leave,"

"Are you crazy? I'm not leaving you like this. Where's your cabin located?"

"You don't understand," he said in a high pitch voice, shaking his head. "I want to be alone,"

"What?"

"I NEED to be alone," he said right before a tear came rolling down his right cheek. "Please,"

I hesitated really hard. However, the sight of him... who was I to question him? He was obviously going through some stuff, and if he wanted to be alone, then I was supposed to leave him alone.

"Sure," I said reluctantly. "I'll leave,"

"Thank you," he said while wiping his tears.

I smiled to him, turned around and slowly started to walk away, back to my cabin.

"It's Sean, by the way," he said.

"See you, Sean," I said turning my head a bit around to see him for the last time.

"Take care," he told me before starting his own walk.

"You too," I shouted.

If only I had known the irony in my words...

Sean committed suicide that night.

Every time I go to a beach now, I remember him. Sometimes I feel like it was my fault. That I could've saved him. I was definitely the last person he talked to.

But then I remember his words. I remember his face expressions, his voice, his confidence... he was ready. No one could've talked him out of it. He must have had his reasons, and I’m pretty sure they were not plain, dull ones.

Sean stood alive in his favorite place right before dying. Not many people get a chance to do that.

Somehow I believe it did not feel painful to him. I believe that for him, dying felt like coming home.

Leave a comment, review, or any other kind of feedback. Feel free to like it! Afterall, that's the way to grow as a writer!
Copyright © 2010 AleMaho; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is a beautiful story but I find myself wanting to clean it up some. You repeatedly use words (like cabin) when I think they could be condensed into simpler sentences. Plus, I don't need to be told that the boy is being careful to close the door more than once. Also, the young boy that he met on the beach has no description at all. He's just young and gay and basically that's it. Could we have some details?

Link to comment
On 01/06/2011 07:13 AM, Kavrik said:
This is a beautiful story but I find myself wanting to clean it up some. You repeatedly use words (like cabin) when I think they could be condensed into simpler sentences. Plus, I don't need to be told that the boy is being careful to close the door more than once. Also, the young boy that he met on the beach has no description at all. He's just young and gay and basically that's it. Could we have some details?
"Pale skin, gorgeous green eyes, dirty blonde hair, well dressed... He was a really handsome guy" That's the small description I gave in the story about him. I think that it suffices considering a long and really detailed description (exact height, built, what he wore, etc...) would be unnecessary, since this story has no continuation. It's how you relate to it, and to him. Sean was somebody to me. He could be anybody to you. I hope you get what I mean. I did check the cabin thing. It does sound weird. I apologize. I wrote this piece a while back. I did re-read it before posting it here. I guess I should've been thorough. Thanks for the review though. I really appreciate it! =)
Link to comment

Stirred very strong emotions. I've been in that same place in my past and it brought a bunch of old feelings flooding back. Sad but I really like it.

Link to comment
On 05/07/2011 12:56 PM, K.C. said:
Stirred very strong emotions. I've been in that same place in my past and it brought a bunch of old feelings flooding back. Sad but I really like it.
Thank you for your kind review. Feedback is always appreciated.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..