Jump to content
    alex canton
  • Author
  • 889 Words
  • 756 Views
  • 0 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

In spite of the fear - 3. I knew you cared

Picking up a trail

“I was always on the lookout for tips that made me believe that you had special feelings for me, that I was not just one more patient,” my friend told me some time ago.

“How was that?” must have been my comment.

“Do you remember the incident with Mario?” I could tell that Luis was set on giving me specific information to get my memory to work. Probably my nod gave him the signal to continue.

“I must have been about twenty years old when I started dating Mario, but there was something about him that made me uncomfortable. That’s when I decided to ask you to meet him and give me your opinion.”

During the group therapy sessions many stories had been shared about the young men feeling attracted to older men – well, for them older meant around thirty – most of which were in a formal relationship with a woman or even married to one. In many cases, children were part of the scene. The general consensus was that the possibility of developing a stable relationship was impossible. In an ideal situation, they would have to settle for being the hidden lover. It was all a reflection of the times, where there was no such thing as gay pride, much less gay respect. A yearning for all encompassing love was always present, with no hope.

As a therapist in those times, I was guided mostly by what I felt was common sense stemming from the belief that everyone has rights to self-respect and demand to be respected by others. Though I did acknowledge the need to love and be loved, perhaps I was not very aware of its impact on gays.

“OK, bring Mario over,” I said, “but remember that I am not telling you what to do. That’s your responsibility.”

------

Perhaps a week passed and, one morning, the receptionist told me over the intercom that Luis had come in with someone. I told her to send both. “

“This is Mario,” he said while the young dentist offered his hand and gave me a very firm handshake.

“Will you step outside while I talk with him?” I raised and returned the handshake to his friend, who was looking very serious.

“Do you only see gay people in this place, Doctor?” was his introduction.

“Mainly, yes, but I work with any kind of sexual problems. So, that means that I not only see gay men but regular couples, men and female,” was my clarification. Of course, then and there I came to the conclusion that Mario was feeling distraught and perhaps even ashamed of being in my clinic. After all, I was already known as the shrink who attended gays. Of course, he was not my patient, and I decided that pursuing his feelings was not why he had accepted Luis’ request to visit me.

“So, Mario… What is the problem with Luis? I decided to start.

“To begin with, I find him very effeminate. It is so easy to tell that he’s gay.” I felt a bit surprised because I didn't think that the young dentist was the best example of masculinity. He was perhaps 5’7, had a rather square build, pleasant facial features and brown wavy hair. I was drawn to his hands, where his nails were well polished – very unusual at the time.

“How long have you been seeing each other?” I asked.

“Around four months,” he said.

“What do you like about Luis?”

“He is sweet, pretty, smart, isn't after money, and I like his family.” He sounded quite sincere. However, I could sense that there was something amiss. I remembered that Luis had mentioned that when they went out in the car and they stopped at a mini-market, Mario would insist that he remain inside the vehicle.

“Is there a reason why Luis has to wait in the car when you make a short stop?” I asked directly.

“He told you about it?”

“Yes, Mario. I have his permission to use his information.” This was an important clarification.

“I can’t help it, Doctor,” he was barely heard, “I have to protect myself.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, he’s so obviously gay that I can’t afford to have someone saying the same thing about me.” His answer was quite firm this time.

“That I can understand, Mario,” I clarified, “but may I suggest that perhaps you are ashamed of him?” I paused for perhaps a minute, expecting a following explanation, which did not happen.

“Mario, I believe that a relationship that includes shame has no firm foundation.” Mario nodded and lowered his head, obviously ashamed of his feelings.

I decided to call an end to the conversation and advised Mario to think about what we had discussed. The suggestion for him and Luis to talk about it was the closing statement.

-------

“Do you know when I became convinced that you did care for me?” Luis asked.

“I have no idea.”

“Mario told me that I did not deserve to be ashamed of,” he voice broke, but he continued, “He told me that you had said so.”

When I think about it, I am sure that I would never accept that anyone should be ashamed of any of my patients. Though it was my belief, I had no idea how much truth there was in it.

“And I felt that you were so right that I broke off with Mario. Of course, you didn’t know the impact you were having on me.”

Picking up a trail
"Copyright 2015, Alex Canton-Dutari;All Rights Reserved."
  • Like 2
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..