Jump to content
    Allerron
  • Author
  • 1,088 Words
  • 1,859 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Culture Shock - 2. A Time for Preparations

Imagine the standard disclaimer here saying something about the fact that all characters, events and situations portrayed in this story are the product of the author's warped imagination and any resemblance that they might bear to anyone living or dead is purely accidental. Although, I personally would like to meet a Wind Dancer...

This chapter takes place on the planet Hester-b and occurs at the same time as the previous chapter.

March 17, 2417, planet Hester-b

Li-ria-vuh-ti sighed as she tried to follow the Trainer's instructions. Ot-val'o'o shook his head at the young girl's frustration. He knew that there would be no more progress today so he sent her home to rest up on the condition that she arrive earlier the next day for her lessons. She practically skipped away from the Trainer's yard where she was working on her latest lessons without much success. Ot-val'o'o watched as she made her way through the town, stopping at the communal commissary to grab a handful of the sticky-sweet fruits that were her particular favourite. He shook his head tiredly and started to go back into his home just as the runner arrived to tell him of the meeting of the Elders. His presence was requested along with all other Trainers.

Instead of taking a nap, Ot-val'o'o found himself trying to wipe the dust off of his clothes and smoothing his unruly hair so that he would be presentable when he went before the Elders. He delayed long enough to have a quick drink of water from his cold box before heading over to the amphitheatre. The Elders were all present by the time Ot-val'o'o arrived, taking his place with the other Trainers that were still arriving. A few curious towns people also wandered in and sat down higher up in the amphitheatre so as to not disturb the proceedings.

The Herald of the Elders walked on to the centre of the raised dais and pounded his staff several times on the hard floor to signal the starting of the meeting. As he started to announce the meeting Eldest Syn-dra-val'i cleared her aged throat, startling the Herald and causing not a few stares from all assembled. The Herald visibly blanched as he realized that the Eldest herself was going to begin the meeting herself. A buzz of excitement and dread ran through the amphitheatre, it had been years since she had spoken openly in any Council function. She preferred to drop her head until her chin rested on her aged chest and to all appearances she slept through even the loudest shouting matches that were common in Council meetings.

The Eldest cleared her throat again before starting to address the Council. `As you all know, the Seer Kla-por'o'a'o has warned us of something coming that will change our lives forever. I know that the younger ones present today have no reason to believe that Seers even speak the truth but I can promise you that this one is different.' The Eldest blinked in an attempt to clear her vision as she tried to look out across the faces raised in her direction, rapt expressions on all of them.

She smiled briefly and the action caused the wrinkles at the edges of her eyes to be highlighted for a few seconds before the smile faded. `We have watched patiently as the Seer inhaled the sacred fumes of the Oracle and watched her as she thrashed around on the floor of this very space. She wanted to warn us of another threat as coming from the heavens themselves. The last time a Seer promised this be were bombarded by massive boulders of soil and ice from the neighbouring planets. We are going to take this warning seriously and we will be acting on it. I have decided this. We are here today to discuss how to prepare. The Seer will be staying with me until more details are revealed and I urge everyone that can hear my voice to take good care of all Seers just in case we need them.'

The Eldest surveyed the crowd as they silently tried to process and digest the information she just let drop. She smiled briefly before continuing `I wish to ask that all Trainers spend time with their students to ensure that we have a fully trained compliment of Wind Dancers in case we need to evacuate our village or shift goods around. We need to ensure that whatever happens, and we don't fully understand what will occur as of yet, we will be ready to respond to the events as they unfold. Call it an ancient woman's intuition but my bones are telling me that this time we may be well and royally fucked this time.'

The looks of astonishment on the faces as she chose her curse words carefully told her that she had shaken them up enough that they may take serious precautions. She made her halting was off of the dais and out the door at the front of the amphitheatre. A small group of four hastily followed her as she hobbled to her home. She sat down at her small table and let out a big sigh. The Seer that had moved in with her sat down across the table and looked at the Eldest with a bit of worry on her face.

`Eldest' began the seer tentatively, `what are you afraid of happening? You hinted at dire events during the Council meeting but I did not see that at all in my vision.'

The Eldest smiled at the Seer and coughed lightly before saying `My dear, I have been lucky during my tenure as Eldest. Nothing major has happened, no plagues, swarms of bugs, major rock falls or other calamities have befallen this village and I am just letting my natural pessimism shine through. I am not lucky enough to hope that I can go on to my final resting days without having to deal with something major and trying. I have been watching the omens as well as anyone else and from my perspective things are getting bad. I can see it in the reduced number of healthy births, in the way the crops don't ripen fully in the fall time, in the waters of the rivers and brooks themselves. It all adds up to leave me feeling uneasy. Perhaps it's nothing more than the painful joints making me see bad things all around me but I don't think so. Only time will tell I suppose.' She reached across the small table and patted the Seer's hands with her gnarled and arthritic hands in an attempt to ease the stress the Seer was starting to show. 'How about a game of kfara? I know how much you enjoy that and it's easy on my old bones.'

The Seer smiled at the obvious attempt to change the topic and left her chair to fetch the kfara board.

Thanks for reading. The next chapter will swing back to the space ship Argos and will further develope the characters there, revealing their faults and foibles. Things will start to pick up as the Argos gets closer to the planet in question.

Any feedback is appreciated, but I may totally disregard the negative ones! :) Send feedback to droy1 at erthdra dot com. Thanks for reading!

Copyright © 2011 Allerron; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..