Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Purpose - A New Beginning - 10. Chapter 10

"You did all this to get me here?" I never thought I'd be so angry at Griffin that I wanted to hit him. "Do you know the innocent lives you put at risk?"

I sensed the changes in his body, enough that I knew he understood the implications of what I’d said.

"Yes Daniel, you would be the guilty if that had happened."

"It wasn’t just to get you here. They needed proof."

Yes, they. "When?"

Griffin shifted his weight, looking over my shoulder into Barrington’s house. "Can we have this discussion inside?"

"No." In my anger I could feel the cold, emotionless part of me creep closer to the surface. Betrayal only happened when you trusted someone. Gar never let anyone close enough to trust.

"They approached me after Ryan’s funeral."

"Why?" The rasp in my reminded me how easy it would be to slip back into my old habits. Never again. "Come in."

I turned on my heel not waiting for an answer. Barrington watched intently from the kitchen doorway. If I'd read his mind, I’d have confirmed the glee I saw in his face. He’d get what he wanted and he got to see Griffin – the one I trusted – screw me over.

"I’d leave if I were you. Gloat anymore and I’ll leave without a trace." I raised an eyebrow. "Then we’ll see who smirk last."

"Still looking for a way to weasel out of our agreement?" Despite his words, I could see I’d made my point. "What happened to honor?"

"Trying to shame me into keeping my promise won’t work. I don’t care about you, how you feel, or your opinion of me. I’ve given you my word and I intend to keep it, but that can easily change if you annoy me. Are we clear?"

"We had a deal." A fire smoldered in his eyes, but it came with a look of defeat. "I expect you to keep it."

Engaging him further would hinder my need to reign in my fury, so I let him go without any response. I found Griffin a few steps inside the door, staring at the sleeping agents.

"Show them out. I’ll wait for you." I flicked my hand for effect and the three roused with a start.

To help Griffin, I made sure the trio couldn’t see me. I heard their confused questions, but didn’t listen. I wanted to clear my mind and didn’t need to follow their progress. If they didn’t leave quickly, I’d make sure they had the urge to leave Barrington’s house immediately. Fortunately they listened to Griffin.

I replayed what I’d seen in Griffin’s mind until I heard the door close. He hesitated before he moved closer.

"You asked me why, but you know already." He waited for me to look up, but I kept my focus on the carpet. The fire of my rage had been banked, but it could easily be roused without much effort.

"I want to hear it from you, in your words." It wouldn’t help me, but making him tell me would force him to confront what he’d done and why. Slowly I lifted my eyes, not trying to hide the betrayal I felt.

He licked his lips and swallowed or at least tried. I could imagine how dry his mouth felt at that moment. "Fine. You want me to tell you?"

"I do."

"Look, I know you’re mad, but…."

"But what Daniel? Are you going to tell me you didn’t mean to fake your own kidnapping to bring here so I could be tested? Or that the people you work for are only trying to protect the country? Or–" I took a step closer, "–are you going to tell me you’re not just like him."

I pointed toward where Barrington had left and watched as his eyes followed my arm.

"It's not like that." For the first time since he'd arrived, he refused to meet my gaze. "After the funeral they approached me. At first it was just to verify information, then they wanted my help so they could meet you."

"Test me, you mean."

"Think about this from their perspective. No one really knows what you really are, so we needed to be cautious."

"We, is it?" I hated this whole affair. "Now you're part of it?"

Griffin chewed on his finger for a moment. "I know you're not happy, but they needed to be sure you could do what we all think you can."

"Why?" I threw my arms out and he flinched. "You know the answer is going to be no. What's the point of being sure?"

"They think you'll change your mind after they show you what they have."

"I don't care what they have, my answer is the same. No."

When I turned to leave Griffin put his hand on my arm. He couldn't have held me, but I stopped anyway.

"It's that important. I risked my career and my life for this. Please." He squeezed my arm. "Hear them out?"

My rejection should have been instantaneous, but his sincerity muted my response. I once told him he was a good man, and today notwithstanding, I believed those words. At his core, the place he couldn't change, he believed what he'd done was right–more than right, necessary. The ends don't justify the means, but it seemed my life followed that principal to the letter.

"Tell your boss I'll meet with him." Griffin smiled and he let go of my arm. Before he could leave, I grabbed his arm. "With one condition."

Griffin looked skeptical, but he nodded. "What is it?

"Get Barrington reinstated." Griffin's jaw dropped.

"I can't promise that."

"I made the deal to find you. The taste of bile is already strong, I'm not going to add to it now that I know you weren't kidnapped."

"What if they won't or can't?"

"Then they can kidnap you all they want, but they'll never find me again."

Copyright © 2014 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OK now I really have no idea what the hell's going on...or even if this still makes any sense at all. :/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/23/2014 07:31 AM, Daddydavek said:
WTF is so important for Griffin to risk everything?
I could tell you dave but that would ruin things. :-).

 

Trust me that I know where this is going. :-).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/23/2014 07:08 AM, MJ85 said:
OK now I really have no idea what the hell's going on...or even if this still makes any sense at all. :/
Okay if you can't guess what's next - and I'll admit you are VERY good at figuring things out - it doesn't or can't make sense? :o. C'mon Mike, stay with me. Just two chapters left. This has never been predictable has it?
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..