Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Trial of Jordan Colmar - 7. Chapter 7: Verdict

The long awaited Verdict. While he, or won't he? Read on to find out.

Martin tried to focus on the mountain of work that had piled up during the trial. Same as always; trials caused a backlog. One way or the other, he'd have time to catch up soon.

Pushing aside the deliberating jury, he began assigning new cases. No matter how busy he was, he never let this part of his job go more than a couple of days; it wouldn't be fair to the assistants to get them two weeks late.

Thankfully, nothing serious came in that would need his attention. After this, he wanted to get back to helping the newer attorneys with their trials, not be in trial himself. Even though other senior attorneys always stepped up, he felt a bit guilty when he couldn't sit with his new people for their first few trials.

With a glance at the clock, he pushed back from the desk. Milton would be calling them back in less than forty minutes to tell everyone he was dismissing the jury for the night. Too bad, he'd hoped everyone could go home tonight with a decision. He knew all too well how hard it was to sleep knowing you might get a verdict tomorrow. Trials were fickle beasts.

Noise in his doorway made him look up. "Get your coat, Martin." Dan wore his usual smile, as if nothing important was happening.

This was the third summons since two o'clock. Like the other two, his heart raced. Another question? Verdict? Or was Milton sending them home early? The last was unlikely, but possible.

Slipping on his coat, he locked his computer. "Any word on why?" On his way out, he grabbed a yellow legal pad, just in case.

"Seems we have a verdict, my friend." Dan slapped him on the back, his smile broadening.

Martin stopped and nodded for a moment. "I had hoped they'd finish today. Good or bad."

With his right hand, Dan motioned for them to keep moving. "As we both know, a quick verdict rarely favors the defense, especially in this kind of case."

"Not every time." Martin knew it didn't matter what they said, the jury already reached a verdict. "If a jury is going to surprise with an acquittal, it usually happens rather quickly."

Dan laughed. "I see you were taught the same as I was; in the world of trial practice, you can't read anything into a jury's time of deliberation."

"Exactly." He winked at his colleague. "Let me get my staff to round up Peter and his family."

"Do I really need to tell you that Mary and Alan already took care of that?"

"You shouldn't need to, but for some reason I never learn." When he reached the main office door, he found his 'guards' waiting to escort him. "Bet you two will be glad when you can stop babysitting me."

Freeman shrugged. "You're an easy person to work with. It's the ones who believe in their own importance that makes us wish for another job."

Laughing despite the moment, he let the deputies lead the way. Before they reached the entrance to the courtroom, his escort turned toward the back hallway.

"You don't want to fight through the crush of people trying to get inside," Hicks said. "The press started showing up just after closing arguments ended."

Wonderful. The last thing Martin wanted was a crush of reporters trying to get a statement.

"I'd better get a message to Jerry," he said to no one in particular.

"Martin, relax." Dan remained the model of calm. "The District Attorney knows what's happening and he'll be ready for the media. Though I'm certain he's going to want you there to field most of the questions."

Raising an eyebrow, Martin said, "The voice of experience?"

"Three years as U.S. Attorney for the Middle District taught me to never speak to the press about a big case without the lead attorney at my side. Jerry hasn't remained D.A. for twenty-four years by being stupid."

They entered through the judge's door to find a packed courtroom. Sheriff Ghegahn stood just inside the door, watching and directing his deputies. Martin knew the drill, Ghegahn always stood beside the judge's bench when the media was present as a show of respect to the court. As they passed, the Sheriff reached out to grab Martin's arm.

"Good luck counselor, not that you'll need it." Ghegahn gave Martin a genuine smile. "I heard you did your usual great job."

"Thank you, sir." He shook the older man's hand. Pointing to Hicks and Freeman, he said, "Thanks for these two, they were amazing; always there, but never in my way."

"I expected no less." Despite his words, the Sheriff looked pleased by the compliment.

It took another ten minutes to get order in the courtroom. Peering back, he noted Peter and Jason seated in the row behind him, surrounded by both their families. If Peter was nervous, he didn't show it. Jason's eyes, however, kept darting toward the defense table where Jordan sat with his back to the crowd. He stopped when Peter laced their hands together, causing Jason to look at him.

Martin tried to appear more relaxed than he felt. He knew what was happening, but it didn't calm him. When he saw Sheriff Ghegahn nod, he knew it was almost time.

The back doors snapped shut, drawing more than a few eyes. Martin kept his attention forward, aware the courtroom doors would be locked in a few moments.

"Ladies and gentlemen." Ghegahn's deep voice filled the entire courtroom. "Those of you in the gallery are put on notice that once we start the proceedings, you not will be allowed to leave before the jury is dismissed. If that isn't to your liking, please leave now. Once we bring in the jury, no one will be allowed to leave until Judge Milton grants leave to open the doors. Anyone trying to leave will be asked to return to their seats. Refusal is not an option."

Martin watched him appear to scan the courtroom, knowing what he was really doing was making sure his deputies were in place.

"Anyone who doesn't think they can follow those rules should leave now. Otherwise, remember, no one leaves until after the jury is dismissed and escorted out of the courtroom."

Much as Martin expected, no one got up.

"Very well." Ghegahn moved toward the Judge's door. "The courtroom is now closed."

Martin heard the back doors lock, and an instant later, he watched the sheriff rap twice on the door behind him.

"All rise," Ghegahn ordered.

Milton entered quickly, took his seat and nodded to the bailiff. "You may bring in the jury. Everyone may be seated.

Despite the judge's suggestion, the parties before the court followed proper etiquette and remained standing while the jury entered. Martin watched the jurors, recalling all the different theories the 'experts' taught in trial practice classes. Experience taught him that nothing could really be gleaned from such observations, but he indulged in the practice all the same.

Watching the jurors enter, he wondered how they felt with all eyes focused on them. They had to know everyone was looking for some sign of what they'd decided. Still, most of them ignored him and the defense, focusing their attention on either their seats or the judge.

Once the last juror took her seat, Martin and the others sat down.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury," Judge Milton said, breaking the silence. "Would the foreperson please stand?"

Another 'game' all trial lawyers engaged in was could they guess who the foreperson would be? Martin's choice had been juror number five, a middle aged woman, dressed in a blue blazer who seemed to pay particularly close attention to the evidence. When she stood, he tried to sneak a glance at Dan who picked the man sitting next to her.

"Madam foreperson, has the jury reached a unanimous decision?"

"We have, Your Honor," she said, holding up a folded sheet of paper. The bailiff collected the jury verdict form and handed it to the judge. Once he read the verdict, he handed it to the clerk. "Mr. Colmar, please stand."

Rankin stood with his client, hand on Jordan's shoulder.

Standing, the clerk, who until now had said almost nothing, opened the verdict sheet. "Members of the jury, on the count of attempted murder in the second degree while armed, how do you find the defendant Jordan Colmar, guilty or not guilty?"

Martin realized he, like most of the courtroom, was holding his breath, waiting to hear the answer.

"We find the defendant, guilty."

A gasp and a choked off sob came from where the Colmars sat. Resisting the urge to turn and look, Martin kept his eyes on the judge. The deputies would deal with any disruption. He was sure if he looked to his left, Jordan would be deathly white.

Ignoring everything else in the courtroom, the clerk continued, "On the enhancement count, that this crime was motivated by the victim's sexual orientation, how do you find the defendant, Jordan Colmar, guilty or not guilty?"

"We find the defendant, guilty." The woman's voice was firm, her words spoken with conviction.

"On the count of conspiracy to commit murder in the second degree while armed, how do you find the defendant, guilty or not guilty?"

"We find the defendant, guilty."

Marking down the results, Martin half listened as the clerk read the remaining counts and the foreperson confirmed Colmar's guilt to each. When the last charge was read and answered, Judge Milton nodded.

"Thank you." He took the paper back and placed it in front of him. "Mr. Rankin, do you wish to poll the jury?"

Martin, along with most of the courtroom, turned toward the defense table. Jordan appeared in shock, his eyes seemingly staring at nothing. Rankin and his assistant stared at their verdict sheet, barely looking up when the court addressed them.

"Yes, your honor, we do," Rankin finally answered

It took an effort not to shake his head. In twenty years, he'd never seen or heard of a jury changing its verdict when polled; especially not one that convicted this quickly. If there had been any wavering jurors, it would have taken much longer to reach a verdict and it was highly unlikely they'd have found Colmar guilty on all counts.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury." Milton's voice snapped Martin out of his musings. "When the clerk calls your number, please stand and indicate if you agree with the verdict as read by your foreperson."

One by one, the jurors stood and stated their agreement. Juror twelve sat down and Martin finally began to relax. It was over; they'd won. The jury saw through the bullshit defense case and found Colmar guilty of everything he'd done. Moreover, the victim, Peter Gregory, received justice. That, he reminded himself, was the real purpose of the trial.

"Very well, thank you." Milton sounded as relieved as Martin felt. "Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, this county and myself, I'd like to thank you for your service. Jury duty can be difficult, especially with the hectic lives we all lead, but it is a necessary part of our civic duty. Without people like you, our system of justice wouldn't work. So again, you have my thanks.

"The bailiff will take you out in a moment, but let me say one more thing. You are now free to discuss this case with whomever you like. The government, the defense, and the press may all wish to speak to you. Whether you do so is up to you. If you do not want to speak to anyone, ask a deputy to escort you out of the courthouse. Leave your badges and pads on the seat and you are free to go. Thank you again."

Several of the jurors looked into the audience to the side where Peter sat. Most smiled, with one giving a thumbs up sign. The gesture gave him goose bumps. Peter's suffering was not lost on anyone and that gave him the most satisfaction.

He waited for the door to shut before looking to the judge. For all that Milton was a hard ass and a tough sentencer, Martin knew locking up a young man for what could likely be the rest of his life was not something the judge enjoyed.

"Mr. Colmar." Jordan barely lifted his head when the judge addressed him. "As the jury has found you guilty on all counts, your bond is revoked and you are remanded to the custody of the sheriff pending sentencing. Mr. Rankin, we need to set a date."

"Would the court please hear me on the issue of release pending sentencing?" Rankin asked without much conviction.

"No, sir. I will not." He paused, scanning the gallery as if waiting for an outburst. "Mr. Colmar was found guilty of several offenses which carry mandatory jail time; a decade and more to be exact. Since I have to impose a jail sentence, even were I not so inclined, he is now, in my mind, a flight risk and he'll remain incarcerated pending sentencing."

"Your honor." Respectful and cautious, Rankin pressed his request. "Would the court consider giving Jordan until Friday at 5:00 p.m. to turn himself in? That way he can get his affairs in order."

"No, Mr. Rankin, I will not." Milton shook his head slowly. "I'm certain you were smart enough to have advised him to do that before today. Let me be clear, I heard the evidence too, and there is no doubt in my mind the verdict was correct. More to the point, I believe without a shadow of a doubt, your client lied on the stand. I also believe he manipulated Warren Berimen into testifying. In my mind, he is one of the worst flight risks I've ever met. Not only does he present as the type to try to flee, he has the means to do so. He can begin serving his sentence today."

Turning to the sheriff he motioned toward the prisoner's entrance. "Sheriff, you can escort the defendant out now."

Appearing surprised, Rankin glanced at his associate. "Your Honor, I'd ask my client be allowed to stay while we select a date for sentencing."

Rolling his eyes, Milton's face took on more of its familar stoney demeanor. "Mr. Rankin, your client won't have any conflicts with the date I have in mind. We both know he'll be available. I want to clear the courtroom and your client's presence will hold up the unlocking of the courtroom doors."

The expected outburst from the Colmars never materialized. Whether Rankin schooled them well or they were in too much shock, they remained quiet. Jordan, too, remained silent as the deputies cuffed his hands behind his back and led him away.

A date was suggested by the court that Martin barely heard. He agreed without checking, knowing he'd make it work. When the judge left, he sank into his chair, exhausted, yet pleased.

Hands began patting him on the back and he knew he needed to get up. He wanted to speak to the Peter's family before he joined the D.A. at the press conference quickly being arranged. It was his big day and knowing his boss, Martin would be given all the credit and much of the spotlight.

Before he let the deputies take him out, he made his way to where Peter stood, locked in his boyfriend's arms. His arrival caught Peter's attention and he disengaged himself from Jason to extend his hand to Martin.

"Thank you, Mr. Pratner. I can't tell you how much I appreciate how you've treated me and my case." There were tears at the edges of his eyes. "You always made me and Jason feel like you cared about us. It's helped us both move on with our lives."

"Young man, although it's my job to prosecute the people who did this to you, I want to say this case meant a lot to me too. I admire your strength and courage. It couldn't have been easy to meet with the detectives, myself, the grand jury and then come to court, each time having to relive again and again what happened. I want you to know how proud I am of you and how happy I am to have represented you in this case."

He could count on one hand the number of victims he'd taken a particular interest in; Peter was one of them. He pulled the young man closer and gave him a hug.

"Now," he said, smiling at Peter. "You two go home and get on with the rest of your lives. I expect great things from you both."

He barely had time to shake hands with both families before Mary was waving to him. No doubt Jerry was about to address the media and his presence was required.

Adjusting his cufflinks one more time, he couldn't wait for the press confrence to end. He'd been working long hours and tonight he was going to forget about the office. This was a time to celebrate and that meant being home in time for dinner with the family. No better way for the trial and his day to end.

So Jordan is guilty and locked up. The epilogue will be the sentencing and the end of the this story. As I mentioned elsewhere, this last Chapter will be from Jason's perspective. It began with him, it feels right that it end with him.

Thanks for all the comments, let me know if you were happy or not with the outcome.
Copyright © 2011 Andrew Q Gordon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



So he is guilty. You think anyone is going to be unhappy with the results of this? Honestly, Andy, that is what everyone was hoping for. Nice to know that even though it looked like a slam dunk, our prosecuting attorney was nervous until the end. It made me smile to know that here was someone in the justice department who truly was worried about the victim and getting justice. It was also reassuring to know that the judge would take little joy in sentencing someone so young. Of course I'm a little blood thirsty and want him and his parents to pay through the nose. Of course that will be the civil suit. LOL.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Until the sentencing is done, when Jordan gets to know the terrible price he will have to pay, this will not seem to really be over and done...

 

Satisfying, no - tragic, yes.

 

Outstanding story Andy, I'm looking forward to the epilogue.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Loved the delivery of the verdict and the way the atmosphere of the court room was established. Perfectly delivered!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2011 02:30 PM, comicfan said:
So he is guilty. You think anyone is going to be unhappy with the results of this? Honestly, Andy, that is what everyone was hoping for. Nice to know that even though it looked like a slam dunk, our prosecuting attorney was nervous until the end. It made me smile to know that here was someone in the justice department who truly was worried about the victim and getting justice. It was also reassuring to know that the judge would take little joy in sentencing someone so young. Of course I'm a little blood thirsty and want him and his parents to pay through the nose. Of course that will be the civil suit. LOL.
Hey Wayne,

in my experience, there is no such thing as I can't lose Jury trial. a case like this, anything less than guilty would be a loss for the prosecutor, and for the victim. As much as you and others would like to see Hank and Rebecca Colmar pay for the sins of their little angel Jordan, there would be no cause of action for Peter and his family against the parents of an adult defendant. You and everyone else will have to be satisfied with the knowledge that Rebecca Colmar's little angel is going to spend the rest of her life in jail.

 

Thanks for reading and for all the reviews.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2011 03:12 PM, KevinD said:
Until the sentencing is done, when Jordan gets to know the terrible price he will have to pay, this will not seem to really be over and done...

 

Satisfying, no - tragic, yes.

 

Outstanding story Andy, I'm looking forward to the epilogue.

Hey Kevin,

 

in my experience, even when you win a case like this satisfaction isn't complete. Justice served can only ease but so much. As I said in my forum, one has to expect that Jordan is going to do a substantial amount of time more than Warren Berryman and he got 25 years. Berryman pled guilty, which at least at the time, indicated he had some remorse and that he took responsibility for his actions. Jordan did neither. I would imagine an attorney in in Rankin's position would be telling his client and his family at the sentence is going to be extremely harsh so I doubt it will come as a surprise when he gets slammed by the judge at sentencing.

 

Thanks for reading and for all the encouragement along the way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2011 03:48 PM, dkstories said:
Loved the delivery of the verdict and the way the atmosphere of the court room was established. Perfectly delivered!
Hey Dan,

thanks for the review. Glad to see you enjoyed it. I won't say that all verdicts go in this manner, but it has been my experience that goes something like I wrote. Good to see that people who are not familiar with courtrooms could 'see' the verdict unfolding. I tried to make it as visual as possible. Thanks again for all encouragement while I wrote this.

Link to comment
On 11/06/2011 11:35 PM, Conner said:
I thoroughly enjoyed the chapter. Well done, Andy! worshippy.gifworshippy.gif
Conner,

 

Glad to see that I didn't disappoint you, I know you and several others were keenly interested in how this unfolded. As always, thanks for reading and thanks for making sure to let me know what you were thinking.

 

Andy

  • Like 1
Link to comment

In my opinion, Jordan's age should not have anything to do with anything (when it comes to his sentencing). First off, he is a legal adult. And he comes from a good family, and he himself is well educated. Therefore he should know right from wrong.

 

You know the old saying, "if you can't do the time, then don't do the crime".

 

His actions were clearly motivated by hatred. He hated homosexuals and he hated Peter Gregory (and almost ended Pete's life). Therefore, he should have to pay the price, and accept the consequences of his actions. All he had to do was avoid Pete and not even give him a second thought. But nope, smug and cocky Jordan had to be a bully and now look what happened.

 

So will he survive in prison? My guess would be no, he will piss off the wrong person and get beat up or even shanked. But that's another story for another time. lmaosmiley.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Justice prevailed. As for as Jordan's perspective, it is a hard truth, but he has no idea of what he has gotten himself into. His life in jail will not just be hard, but brutalizing and monotonous. What a waste.

Great job Andy. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I look forward to the epilogue from Jason's POV!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/07/2011 08:59 AM, Daddydavek said:
Justice prevailed. As for as Jordan's perspective, it is a hard truth, but he has no idea of what he has gotten himself into. His life in jail will not just be hard, but brutalizing and monotonous. What a waste.

Great job Andy. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I look forward to the epilogue from Jason's POV!

Thanks Dave,

 

Yes, I doubt Jordan is prepared for the rest of his life. County jail is nothing like Prison time, nothing. And while the state correction institutes do their best to not send a lamb into a lion's den, the truth is his crime wouldn't qualify him for less than a medium to maximum security facility. He's definitely in for a rough 'ride'.

 

Thanks for reading and for taking the time to always leave me some feedback.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/07/2011 04:29 AM, TrevorTime said:
In my opinion, Jordan's age should not have anything to do with anything (when it comes to his sentencing). First off, he is a legal adult. And he comes from a good family, and he himself is well educated. Therefore he should know right from wrong.

 

You know the old saying, "if you can't do the time, then don't do the crime".

 

His actions were clearly motivated by hatred. He hated homosexuals and he hated Peter Gregory (and almost ended Pete's life). Therefore, he should have to pay the price, and accept the consequences of his actions. All he had to do was avoid Pete and not even give him a second thought. But nope, smug and cocky Jordan had to be a bully and now look what happened.

 

So will he survive in prison? My guess would be no, he will piss off the wrong person and get beat up or even shanked. But that's another story for another time. lmaosmiley.gif

Jordan's age would likely have no bearing on the sentence he receives, but it would be hard for anyone with any kind of compassion to not feel something when sentencing him to what would likely amount to the rest of his life. There is a Judge I appear in front of often who tells the kids when they are on probation or on release pending sentencing that he doesn't want to lock them up, but if they don't follow the conditions he'll do it. He tells them, I feel bad, but I'm going to keep my word and lock you up because that's what I have to do. And he always does when they screw up. The point I was making was Milton might be a crusty old curmudgeon, but he is not a heartless jerk. Yes Jordan will deserve whatever he gets - every day of it - but I don't know too many judges who take delight in doing that to someone who's 20 years old.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yessss, the verdict I wanted but in a Peter got justice kind of way and not in a joy at Jordan going to jail kinda way. Guess I won't be needing the pitchforks afterall. Again, huge credit goes to you for capturing the courtroom atmosphere and imagery in your words, it's really helped in making this easy to read.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm looking forward to the epilogue. Part of me kind of wants an extra chapter some years in the future where maybe Jason or someone else visits Jordan in jail and we get a glimpse of the effect of prison life on his personality

  • Like 1
Link to comment

A sad ending to the trial for everyone. Even though the guilty verdict vindicates Peter's attack, and will lead to punishment for Jordan, neither of them truly will be better because of this. Peter will likely suffer at least emotionally if not physically as well for likely the remainder of his life, it is also questionable whether Jordan will recognize what he did as wrong, and accept the consequence of his actions. You did a wonderful job of portraying the courtroom and the verdict scene. The emotion of the trial was gone. The somber tone of the verdict came through. Although I have only dealt with civil trials, no jury verdict can ever be considered a "slam dunk." The hesitation and concern Martin expressed as he waited for the verdict was real, human and accurate, even for the most experienced lawyers. I do look forward to the sentencing and ending of the trial. And you are very correct that nothing you wrote previously would suggest a cause of action against the Colmars. Although you suggested that there might be a federal investigation of the Colmar business dealings! Do we ever get to see something there? I would love to have a companion story about the investigation and trial of the Colmar's business activities!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Thank you Andy for again making a thorough and solid piece of litterature. I have enjoyed reading the story, and I am fascinated by the way you make your characters and story believable and alive. Your writing has a nice flow that makes it easy to dive into the story, no quirks or disruptions. Important too to give a message on hate crime, I hope Jordan gets his sentence good and proper. A pity still to put a young person away for 50 years, instead of working on making him realize what he has done and make him into a contributor to society.

I am eager too to read the conlusion of this story, I have grown very fond of Peter and Jason and their families - with their relationship I am sure they will manage to put the attack behind and move on.

Kkdc

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/07/2011 02:17 PM, Percivial said:
Yessss, the verdict I wanted but in a Peter got justice kind of way and not in a joy at Jordan going to jail kinda way. Guess I won't be needing the pitchforks afterall. Again, huge credit goes to you for capturing the courtroom atmosphere and imagery in your words, it's really helped in making this easy to read.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm looking forward to the epilogue. Part of me kind of wants an extra chapter some years in the future where maybe Jason or someone else visits Jordan in jail and we get a glimpse of the effect of prison life on his personality

Whew, I guess I can unload the shotgun and put it away for a few years - until baby q is old enough to date :P -Glad to hear you were able to visualize the court room and proceedings. There were times I just skipped over things then had to go back realizing most folks wouldn't 'know' what was happening. As for the many years from now - yeah, no. I have in mind a few years later story with Jason and Peter, but by then they've both put Jordan out of their mind and wouldn't think of going to visit, not even to gloat. Why open an old wound?

 

Thanks again for reading and giving me your feed back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/07/2011 03:33 PM, GeR said:
A sad ending to the trial for everyone. Even though the guilty verdict vindicates Peter's attack, and will lead to punishment for Jordan, neither of them truly will be better because of this. Peter will likely suffer at least emotionally if not physically as well for likely the remainder of his life, it is also questionable whether Jordan will recognize what he did as wrong, and accept the consequence of his actions. You did a wonderful job of portraying the courtroom and the verdict scene. The emotion of the trial was gone. The somber tone of the verdict came through. Although I have only dealt with civil trials, no jury verdict can ever be considered a "slam dunk." The hesitation and concern Martin expressed as he waited for the verdict was real, human and accurate, even for the most experienced lawyers. I do look forward to the sentencing and ending of the trial. And you are very correct that nothing you wrote previously would suggest a cause of action against the Colmars. Although you suggested that there might be a federal investigation of the Colmar business dealings! Do we ever get to see something there? I would love to have a companion story about the investigation and trial of the Colmar's business activities!
George,

 

Thanks as always for the feedback, as a fellow lawyer, I get the sense you'd know if I were trying to BS folks. I'm glad you picked up on the 'no one really's better for this' part. Many victims think a guilty verdict will wash away all anger and scars, but rarely does it do that. There is closure, some satisfaction, but you can't remove the feelings and the why, the attack will bring up now and again.

 

As for another trial, I think I've tortured the Colmar's enough, time to move on to other stories. [that and I have no experience with a tax fraud case so I'd be pulling it out my ass for sure. :P ]

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/07/2011 07:57 PM, kkdc said:
Thank you Andy for again making a thorough and solid piece of litterature. I have enjoyed reading the story, and I am fascinated by the way you make your characters and story believable and alive. Your writing has a nice flow that makes it easy to dive into the story, no quirks or disruptions. Important too to give a message on hate crime, I hope Jordan gets his sentence good and proper. A pity still to put a young person away for 50 years, instead of working on making him realize what he has done and make him into a contributor to society.

I am eager too to read the conlusion of this story, I have grown very fond of Peter and Jason and their families - with their relationship I am sure they will manage to put the attack behind and move on.

Kkdc

Thanks for the feed back. I tried to infuse each of the characters with a bit of life, so I'm pleased you felt that. I agree that no one is better for Jordan getting 50 years, but at least he won't do it to anyone else. I hope to get to a Jason and Peter sequel 5 years later, but not sure I'll get to it anytime soon. Hang in there, it may come sooner than I think.

 

Andy

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The way I look at it is this could easily have been a case of murder, if one of those thugs had applied a bit more pressure, or an impact from the bat in a more crucial place (And no I was thinking head LoL) so Jordan deserve all he gets in my book and maybe in jail he'll learn some life skills if it's not to late for him.

Excellent story telling again, I felt as though I was there in the gallery seeing it all unfold before me, but I cant wait for the sentencing to be over so you can get on with the five years later book ;)

great work thankz

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/08/2011 10:37 PM, mr curiosus said:
The way I look at it is this could easily have been a case of murder, if one of those thugs had applied a bit more pressure, or an impact from the bat in a more crucial place (And no I was thinking head LoL) so Jordan deserve all he gets in my book and maybe in jail he'll learn some life skills if it's not to late for him.

Excellent story telling again, I felt as though I was there in the gallery seeing it all unfold before me, but I cant wait for the sentencing to be over so you can get on with the five years later book ;)

great work thankz

Thanks Mr. C,

 

I'm always glad to hear folks 'see' what I'm trying to show. As for Jordan, well yeah, he'll get his, but I wouldn't have much hope he'll learn anything from it. He'd have to admit he did something wrong first.

 

As for the 5 years hence, well it's started, in rough form, that will be next year's project I think.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/28/2011 04:22 AM, intune said:
Justice: 1, Evil: 0. I'm glad Peter can finally be over and done with this whole mess. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Haha, I love the 'Justice 1, Evil- 0' tag, but hopefully it at least seemed plausible that Jordan might get away with it. I was trying to show the uncertain nature of a trial. And yes, this was some closure for Peter and his family.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/6/2011 at 10:29 AM, TrevorTime said:

In my opinion, Jordan's age should not have anything to do with anything (when it comes to his sentencing). First off, he is a legal adult. And he comes from a good family, and he himself is well educated. Therefore he should know right from wrong.

 

You know the old saying, "if you can't do the time, then don't do the crime".

 

His actions were clearly motivated by hatred. He hated homosexuals and he hated Peter Gregory (and almost ended Pete's life). Therefore, he should have to pay the price, and accept the consequences of his actions. All he had to do was avoid Pete and not even give him a second thought. But nope, smug and cocky Jordan had to be a bully and now look what happened.

 

So will he survive in prison? My guess would be no, he will piss off the wrong person and get beat up or even shanked. But that's another story for another time. lmaosmiley.gif

Even the guilty get worse than they deserve. -- Adam Schiff

  • Like 1
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, BlueWindBoy said:

Even the guilty get worse than they deserve. -- Adam Schiff

I've not heard that, but there is some truth to that. Sometimes the guilty do not get what, much less worse, than they deserve. At least not in this life ;) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, Andrew Q Gordon said:

I've not heard that, but there is some truth to that. Sometimes the guilty do not get what, much less worse, than they deserve. At least not in this life ;) 

It's a riff on the Willa Cather (One of Ours) bon mot, “When I'm in normal health, I'm a Presbyterian, but just now I feel that even the wicked get worse than they deserve.”

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..