Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 381 Words
  • 1,105 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andy's Shorts to GA Prompts - 19. Prompt #32

So, my challenge is to come up with your own idiom, then list it and its meaning.

Not flying at warp speed: Warp speed is the method that ships in Star Trek use to travel faster than light speed. To “not fly at warp speed” means that someone is not doing something as quickly as they could.

As many friends as there are on Facebook: People have dozens if not hundreds or thousands of friends on Facebook. This idiom indicates an unimaginably large number, akin to “as many stars as there in the sky” or “as many grains of sands as there in a desert”.

It’s all Klingon to me: Klingon is a language from Star Trek which most characters cannot understand without the aid of a translator. If something is “all Klingon to me” it means that someone cannot understand something, a modern day update on “it’s all Greek to me”

A few elements shy of the Periodic Table: There are currently 118 known elements on the Periodic Table. Someone who is “A few elements shy of the Periodic Table” is someone who is not completely sane, akin to “Not the full ticket” or “A few sandwiches shy of a picnic”.

A few neutrons shy of a stable element: An element requires a set ratio of protons to neutrons in order to be stable; too many or too few neutrons lead to an unstable nucleus of a given element. Someone who is “A few neutrons shy of a stable element” is someone who is not completely sane, akin to “Not the full ticket” or “A few sandwiches shy of a picnic”.

A few cents shy of a Euro: The single European currency is the Euro, which is made up of one hundred cents. Someone who is “A few cents shy of a Euro” is someone who is not completely sane, akin to “Not the full ticket” or “A few sandwiches shy of a picnic”.

I don’t have two bronze knuts to rub together: The bronze knut is the smallest value coin in J K Rowling’s world of Harry Potter. Someone who “doesn’t have two bronze knuts to rub together” is short of cash.

Poorer than a Weasley: The Weasley family are the cash-strapped family in J K Rowling’s world of Harry Potter. Someone is “Poorer than a Weasley” is short of cash.

Link to prompt

So, my challenge is to come up with your own idiom, then list it and its meaning.
Copyright © 2012 Andy78; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..