Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 606 Words
  • 1,100 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andy's Shorts to GA Prompts - 20. Prompt #46


Write a story featuring a creature not usually considered cute and cuddly, but IS. OR
Write a story featuring a creature usually considered cute and cuddly, but ISN'T.

I walked over to the terrarium and picked her up. “Good morning my lovely. How are you today?”

She looked up at me with those eyes of hers, and I not only saw myself reflected in them, but I could swear I saw her affection and love for me reflected back.

“Time to clean out your home. It’s been nearly six months you know.”

I started the process of cleaning. I removed all of her toys, trinkets, baubles and decorations first, and gave them a quick clean. It still amazed me not only how much stuff I had bought her over the years, but the sheer amount of money I’d spent.

I emptied out the thin layering of substrate and found a few insect remains. I looked over at her, tapped on the cage she was being kept in during the cleaning process and playfully chastised my pet, “You mucky girl. Just look at this.” I waved one of the insect carcases in front of her. She looked up at me and then allowed her head to droop – it was most likely instinctual to my tapping on the cage she was in, but I couldn’t help but think she was ashamed at how messy she had allowed her home to get. I threw the substrate and the few insect carcasses in the rubbish.

I got a bowl of soapy water and a cloth, and washed the inside and outside of the terrarium. The water was a muddy brown by the time I had finished the cleaning, and emptied the dirty water down the drain. I cleaned her water dish and began the process of setting up my pet’s home again.

I put down a fresh layer of substrate and her water dish and carefully rearranged her fixtures and fittings. I set things up slightly different this time to give her a change of scene; even dropping in a few fresh leaves to brighten the terrarium up.

I took her out of the small cage I had put her in for safe keeping during the cleaning process. I held her in my hand and slowly stroked her. I can’t believe how big she’s gotten over the past six years. She started to crawl up my arm, but I knew enough to make sure she stayed in my hands. “You’re excitable today aren’t you girl. Why is that always on cleaning day?” She looked up at me as though she understood my every word, and in that moment I realised just how much I had come to love her.

I was about to put her back in the terrarium when I heard my mum shriek in terror. “How many times have I told you to keep that damned spider in its cage!”

“Mum. I’ve just finished cleaning out the terrarium and wanted to give Ariadne a bit of a stretch.”

“I don’t care! I, for some reason, agreed to you getting a Mexican Red Knee on the understanding that it stayed in its cage!”

“Ariadne is not an ‘it’, mum. She’s my pet, and I’ve had her since I was seven.”

“For the love of God! A cat or a dog is a pet; a tarantula is not!” Mum stormed out of the room.

I looked at Ariadne and a silent tear fell. “Don’t listen to her girl, she’s just being mean. You’re my pet and I love you; I always will.” I put her back in her cage, and dropped in a fresh cricket. I knelt in front of the terrarium and watched Ariadne make a start on her breakfast.

Link to prompt


Write a story featuring a creature not usually considered cute and cuddly, but IS. OR
Write a story featuring a creature usually considered cute and cuddly, but ISN'T.
Copyright © 2012 Andy78; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..