Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 658 Words
  • 1,149 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andy's Shorts to GA Prompts - 13. Prompt #91

Take a look at a short story you have written and enjoyed. Now rewrite this tale from a minor character's point of view.

The alarm clock sounded. I don’t know how long the alarm rang for as I’ve always been a very deep sleeper; I actually slept through our neighbour’s house burning down. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and looked around my bedroom, only to find my brother and my best friend were already up; that explains why the alarm clock was left to try and wake me up. It’s odd . . . I’ve never known my brother Josh to be able to wake up without the alarm clock. I wonder if Timmy had a rough night, causing Josh to wake up? He’s had trouble sleeping lately, but I don’t know why; he won’t talk to me about what’s troubling him.

I dragged myself out of the bed and went into the bathroom I share with my brother. I quickly washed my face, brushed my teeth and peed. I sat back down on my bed and put on my slippers. I couldn’t be asked to get dressed so I put on my dressing gown over my pyjamas.

“Morning Ophelia, Bianca, Cordelia, Rosalind. How are we this morning?” I love my Dionaea muscipula (more commonly known as a Venus Flytrap), and I always talk to her – call me crazy if you like. I noticed Ophelia was closed and I wondered what she was having for breakfast. I don’t know why I think of her as a “her” but I always have; it just doesn’t seem right to think of my plant as male. I got her a gift three years ago, when she only had two leaves (who I called Ophelia and Rosalind) and now she has four. I hope she’ll flower this year; I’ve been looking forward to seeing the white blooms for about nine months now. Just think she’ll soon be able to have babies of her own, my little girl all grown up.

I looked in the mirror by my bedside and sighed deeply. I had finally decided last night just who and what I am. I stared at my reflection and said to my Flytrap, “Girls, I have come to the realisation that I’m different. I’m gay.” There. I had finally admitted it to myself, and had finally spoken those words aloud. I giggled to myself though at the very thought of the first person I admitted to that I’m gay is a plant. I stifled a yawn and decided to go looking for my brother and my best friend.

As I walked down the stairs I heard voices coming from the kitchen.

“I’m sorry Maxxie, did we wake you? Were we being too loud?” Josh asked me.

“No. The alarm clock woke me.”

“What?”

“I said ‘the alarm clock woke me’. It’s just gone seven. I noticed you two were already up, so I came looking for you. What time did you two wake up?”

“About quarter past two. Timmy had a nightmare.”

“And you two didn’t bother going back to sleep?”

“Well, we got to talking and I guess time slipped by,” said Timmy.

“I’ll say. What on earth can you two have talked about for five hours? In terms of word count I’ve got a better relationship with my Venus Flytrap than you two have with each other.”

Timmy said, “We had a lot to talk about, and there’s something I need to tell you, something I want to tell you.”

Timmy looked over at my brother Josh. I could see the wordless conversation passing between the two of them; just what did they talk about. “Maxxie, there’s no really easy way to say this, so I’m just going to say it. I’m gay.”

I ran over to my friend and hugged him tightly with a tear in my eye. “Timmy, it doesn’t matter to me; you’re my best friend. I love you; I always have and I always will. Nothing will ever change that.”

Link to prompt

Take a look at a short story you have written and enjoyed. Now rewrite this tale from a minor character's point of view.
This prompt uses my story Timmy, which you can read http://www.gayauthors.org/story/andy021278/timmy
Copyright © 2012 Andy78; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'll say this for you, you don't shy away from your prompts. Seems like you are having fun and they are all so different. Going to have to see the original now to see how things are handled.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/27/2012 01:24 PM, comicfan said:
I'll say this for you, you don't shy away from your prompts. Seems like you are having fun and they are all so different. Going to have to see the original now to see how things are handled.
That's what I like with the prompts, they usually lend themselves to topics outside of my usual genre of writing. I'm really enjoying them, long may they continue.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..