Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 1,351 Words
  • 1,436 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andy's Shorts to GA Prompts - 32. Prompt #165


You’ve seen the movies where scientists screw up and try to bring back something that was extinct and cause all sorts of trouble. Well evidently they didn’t and decided they would try with something that couldn’t possibly be problematic. What did the scientists bring back into existence?

Report to: Prime Minister Sheila Morrigan

Report from: Professor Jacob Tyler

Date: 01/02/2034

 

After fifteen long years of failure, Project Omega has finally been successful. Subject Omega 412 has safely hatched and we have initiated full bio-quarantine. Until we are sure this species is completely safe, nobody will be allowed in or out of the facility. We will begin full series work up after the agreed seven days post hatch.

 

Report to: Prime Minister Sheila Morrigan

Report from: Professor Jacob Tyler

Date: 13/02/2034

 

We have completed the full series work up. Subject Omega 412 checks out as being completely healthy. There is one hundred percent genetic stability, and it seems to be growing at a steady pace. We have as yet been unable to confirm the creature’s gender; it should be male, to ensure that the creature cannot spawn on its own.

 

Report to: Prime Minister Sheila Morrigan

Report from: Professor Jacob Tyler

Date: 20/02/2034

 

After only three weeks, Subject Omega 412 seems to have reached maturity. The subject is far larger than we had expected it to be based upon fossil records, and I am relieved that we elected to attempt this with a non-venomous species of the family Arthrolycosidae1.

This particular species dates from around 275 million years ago, which places it in the Permian Period and it pre-dates the Permian-Triassic mass extinction event by around 25 million years. This extinction event is known as the ‘mother of all mass extinction events’, in that ninety six percent of all marine life and seventy percent of all terrestrial vertebrate species were wiped off the face of the planet.

Until recently, we had believed the largest known species of arachnids ever were the terrestrial Pulmonoscorpius kirktonesis2and the aquatic Brontoscorpio anglicus2.

Subject Omega 412 is already twice the size of either species, and although it does lack the venom sac and ducts inherent in most other members of the order Arinae3, this species does still appear to be carnivorous. It is currently consuming three mice on a daily basis, and hopefully it will not grow any larger; as it is already larger in size than a full grown adult.

The research team believe Subject Omega 412 is larger than fossil records indicate owing to the fact that we were forced to introduce the Arthrolycosidae genetic material into the egg of Atrax robustus4. There appears to have been some unexpected interaction between the two different DNA sequences; this may produce unexpected results given that we have not fully mapped the Arthrolycosidae genome.

However, thanks to modern genetic understanding, we were able to identify the gene sequences responsible for both the presence of venom sacs in, and the unusual aggressiveness of, Atrax robustus. Therefore, we were able to ensure that the reborn Arthrolycosidae would not have a venom sac or fangs, and would hopefully have the more mild temperament of Theraphosidae such as the Mexican Red Knee and Mexican Red Leg tarantulas.

We have been able to verify the creature is indeed male, so spawning of this creature is no longer a concern.

 

Report to: Prime Minister Sheila Morrigan

Report from: Professor Jacob Tyler

Date: 03/04/2034

 

We are now two months post-hatching of Subject Omega 412. It continues to grow and now measures almost eight metres, or twenty six and two-thirds feet, across and is now eating nearly two kilograms, or four and a half pounds, of meat per day. We have progressed to feeding it on large Rodentia5, Chiroptera6, and Soricomorpha7.

We will continue to monitor its size, and if the size has stabilized, we will assess the feasibility of placing the Arthrolycosidae at a national zoo.

 

Report to: Prime Minister Sheila Morrigan

Report from: Professor Jacob Tyler

Date: 07/06/2034

 

After almost four months, the Arthrolycosidae has finally stabilised at an incredible eighteen metres, or sixty feet, in body length. It has a mass of nearly one hundred and fifty kilograms, or three hundred and thirty one and one-half pounds. It is now consuming a very large quantity of meat, and owing to this, we have begun feeding it on Canidae8, Ursidae9, and Otariidae10in an attempt to minimise its feeding regime.

 

Report to: Prime Minister Sheila Morrigan

Report from: Professor Jacob Tyler

Date: 09/07/2034

 

At this point we are able to confirm that Subject Omega 412 has indeed stabilized in size and dietary requirements. It has also just undergone its first moulting. Everything is proceeding as planned, and we expect to be able to find lift full bio-quarantine by the end of the month.

 

Report to: Prime Minister Sheila Morrigan

Report from: Professor Jacob Tyler

Date: 07/08/2034

 

We have reached the six month post hatch stage without incident. We now believe this creature is ready to be placed into a zoo, and we can begin attempts at creating additional Arthrolycosidae in an effort to repopulate the species.

We have no idea how long this spider will live. Typically, arachnids live about two years in captivity, though spiders of the suborder Mygalomorphae (such as tarantulas) can live up to twenty five years in captivity.

 

Report to: Prime Minister Sheila Morrigan

Report from: Professor Jacob Tyler

Date: 14/08/2034

Priority: Alert Status Red

 

Subject Omega 412 has broken out of containment. I have ordered the facility sealed and armed guards have been placed at all entry and exit points. Twenty three personnel have been killed since escape occurred three hours ago – at 08:23.

Search teams are currently sweeping this facility section by section with orders shoot to kill. This creature is highly aggressive and territorial, most likely as a result of the unexpected genetic anomaly we observed; so much for having successfully resequenced the Atrax robustus DNA.

 

Report to: Prime Minister Sheila Morrigan

Report from: Professor Jacob Tyler

Date: 14/08/2034

Priority: Alert Status Red

 

Second report this date. Escape occurred fourteen hours ago. An additional forty six personnel have been killed. There has been no sighting of the Subject Omega 412. Our search continues, and we have expanded our search area to include the conduits and access shafts.

 

Report to: Prime Minister Sheila Morrigan

Report from: Professor Jacob Tyler

Date: 15/08/2034

Priority: Alert Status Red

 

Escape occurred twenty seven hours ago. There are only six personnel left alive in the facility. One hundred and thirteen killed since escape. This creature is too aggressive to be kept alive. I have enacted the Extreme Measures protocol. At twelve noon (in thirty seven minutes time) the self destruct will initiate and this facility will be vaporised.

My recommendation is for all materials relating to this research project to be destroyed.

 

Report to: Prime Minister Sheila Morrigan

Report from: Major General Kenneth Upsen

Date: 16/08/2034

Priority: Alert Status Red

 

It has been confirmed Subject Omega 412 survived the destruction of the facility. It is currently heading towards London. We recommend full scale evacuation of the city while there is time. There needs to be a full military response to this threat. We await your orders.

 

Link to prompt

Notes on classification terms:

1. Arthrolycosidae – an extinct Family of spiders related to the wolf spider, which lived 300 to 250 million years ago.

2. Pulmonoscorpius kirktonesis and Brontoscorpio anglicus - were both species of scorpion that were one metre, or three and one-third feet, in length and were equipped with a stinger, as they were both true scorpions

3. Arinaea – the Order of animals that encompasses spiders

4. Atrax robustus - the Sydney funnel-web spider, arguably the most aggressive spider currently living

5. Rodentia - the Order of animals that encompasses rodents

6. Chiroptera - the Order of animals that encompasses bats

7. Soricomorpha - the Order of animals that encompasses shrews and moles

8. Canidae - the Family of animals that encompasses dogs, wolves and foxes

9. Ursidae - the Family of animals that encompasses bears (excluding the panda and red panda)

10. Otariidae - the Family of animals that encompasses sea lions or fur seals (but does not include true seals)


You’ve seen the movies where scientists screw up and try to bring back something that was extinct and cause all sorts of trouble. Well evidently they didn’t and decided they would try with something that couldn’t possibly be problematic. What did the scientists bring back into existence?
Copyright © 2012 Andy78; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Spiders! lmaosmiley.gif

 

This was great! I love how you structured this story to look like updates a scientist would send to whomever is in charge. :)

 

Spiders rule! I want a tarantula... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Link to comment
On 08/29/2012 03:52 PM, Dolores Esteban said:
Great story!

I wouldn't be surprised if the first such creature escaped a lab soon.

Thanks Dolores.

 

I do enjoy these science run amok themes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/29/2012 10:30 AM, SoullessCynner said:
Spiders! lmaosmiley.gif

 

This was great! I love how you structured this story to look like updates a scientist would send to whomever is in charge. :)

 

Spiders rule! I want a tarantula... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks for the review Cyn.

 

I thought about trying to do this as prose, but I knew I never be able to do the story justice :)

 

I had a Mexican Red Knee tarantula when I was a kid and she was a great pet. I miss her.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Naturally you had to go with a spider and one of giant proportions. Ron Weasley is so not a fan of you right now. :lol: Great story but scary as hell.

Link to comment
On 08/30/2012 02:07 AM, comicfan said:
Naturally you had to go with a spider and one of giant proportions. Ron Weasley is so not a fan of you right now. :lol: Great story but scary as hell.
Thanks for the review.

 

I really enjoyed this one. I'll put a warning label on it for little Ronniekins :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..