Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 2,102 Words
  • 1,788 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Kyle and Kodi - 5. Chapter 5

Mum and dad got home just before four o’clock, and as is customary on Saturdays I had dinner almost finished.

“Hi mum, hi dad,” I said as they walked in.

“Hi Kyle. How was your day?” Mum asked.

“Well, Kodi and I told our friends about us being boyfriends. They were great; they even offered to go out with us so it doesn’t look like Kodi and I are out together. We also talked a bit about the issue we’re having with the education authority about me not doing PE. Then we all went up to Hyde Park and threw a cricket ball around; I think I’m actually getting better. At least I managed to hit the ball this time. Jon and Jenny wanted to know if we’re going to their parent’s BBQ next Sunday, we’re the only family who haven’t RSVPed yet, and their dad needs to know how much stuff to buy?”

“Oh yeah. I’ll phone Sally after we’ve eaten, I meant to ring her sooner but I’ve been so busy. I’m so glad though that your friends are being so supportive of you two. You do know though that there’s wrong with two boys your age going to the cinema together or for pizza together, right? You two have been going out together as friends for years and no one has ever assumed you’re more than friends before, so why would they start now?”

“I know, mum. It’s just we’re not going to be able to do usual couples stuff without drawing unwanted attention to ourselves. The girls offered to double date, if we wanted to go see a romantic film or go to a restaurant for Valentine’s that kind of thing. May be when we’re older, things won’t be quite so bad? Who knows gay may even become accepted one day? I mean we’ve accepted women as equals, non-whites as equals, so why not gays?”

“That sounds like a wonderful future, and being gay is far more accepted today than it was when I was your age; it’s even more accepted than it was only ten years ago. But at least you’ve accepted the limitations of living in the here and now; even though you don’t like or agree with them.”

“Well dad, it’s like you’ve always said ‘you have make the best of a bad situation’. If we have to take the girls along so we can enjoy a romantic dinner on Valentine’s Day then so be it. The only thing I’m scared about though is that the girls will put our happiness ahead of their own; that they’ll turn down dates so they can keep Kodi and me company.”

“Well son, if you see that happening, I know you’ll make the right decision.”

“That goes without saying mum. There is one other thing Kodi and I have talked about, and I know it’s something that has troubled his parents as well as the both of you. Now that we’re boyfriends, we have been discussing whether now is the time we should tell Mika and the twins’ parents about us. I think it will only get harder and harder for Kodi and I to appear ‘normal’ around them as time goes on. With the BBQ next Sunday, we’ll be around their parents nearly the entire day. We’ve already kissed in front of our friends, and without even realising it we spent most of this morning holding hands making goo-goo eyes at each other. It was only after Mika said how cute a couple we are and Jenny said she could see in our eyes how in love we are, we realised what we were doing.”

“You’re right, we’re not happy that you’ve kept your friends parents in the dark, but like Kodi’s parents we’ve accepted it and your reasons why. After all, at the end of the day, this is yours and Kodi’s ‘secret’ to share, not mine or your father’s.”

“Before we decide whether or not now is the time to tell their parents, I wanted to talk to you guys as well. After all, it’s not just Kodi and I who are going to have to deal with any fallout if their parents go off the deep end. Mum, I know you and Sally have been friends since university; dad, you’re really good friends with both of the dads, you three work together and you’ve got your darts league. I know neither of you are overly close with Margot, but she is still a friend.”

“Kyle, I’ve always told you that your dad and I will support you when and if you decided to tell their parents; though it’s nice to know that you still think of your parents’ feelings once in a while. Believe me, it will be far easier for your dad and I to deal with anything, than it will be for you and Kodi if the proverbial hits. I suppose the biggest question you have to ask yourselves is how do you want your friends’ parents to find out about you two? Do you want to tell them yourselves in your own way and in your time or do you want them to walk in on you two kissing? It comes down to whether you have any respect for your friends and their parents or not. If you sit their parents down and talk to them calmly and rationally, you may get a pleasant surprise. I know you are both scared about how they will react given their already stated beliefs, but eventually their parents are going to find out one way or the other. How their parents find out will also have a big effect on your continuing friendship with Mika and the twins. Their parents may not appreciate walking in on the five of you one afternoon to catch you and Kodi kissing; I think that really would send them off the deep end. But, if you do decide to tell their parents, me and dad are happy to be there with you.”

“Thanks mum. I really appreciate that. I would hate for their parents to find out accidentally about us, particularly if we kiss or something without realising it at the BBQ. I’ve heard what you’ve said, but I need to speak to Kodi, Mika and the twins properly before we decide one way or the other. I know I’ve said our coming out to their parents will affect you guys, but as you realise it will also have an effect on Mika and the twins and possibly our friendship with them. But whatever we decide, we’ll let you know. Now, why don’t you two sit down, and I’ll bring dinner through.”

Meanwhile at Kodi’s house a similar discussion was taking place, and his parents also offered to be there, when and if he and I decided to tell our friends’ parents about us.

 

Once we had finished dinner, I went back in the kitchen to put the finishing touches on dessert. I had spent an hour working on it, and hoped it would live up to expectations. I had never actually cooked dessert for my parents before – I mean I’ve thrown a frozen apple crumble in the oven, but this dessert I’d actually cooked from scratch, with my own two hands.

“What’s this?” My mum asked, looking at the ramekin dish in front of her.

“It’s a lemon curd soufflé. Just give it a few seconds for the curd to cool.”

“We didn’t buy any lemon curd soufflés.”

“Cheeky mare,” I said, smiling. “That’s my own home made soufflé there. Shop bought; the thought of such sacrilege. I slave, and I slave, and I slave, and the thanks I get is you think this is Sara Lee?”

“Since when can you cook soufflé?”

“Since Kodi taught me last month.” My mum looked at me not believing me. “He did. I know what people think of him, but he really can cook. Ask his parents if you don’t believe me. Who do you think bakes that dark chocolate and sour cherry sponge cake you love so much? Because I hate to tell you this mum, but Janet Waughrin couldn’t bake a sponge if her life depended on it.”

“It’s not that I don’t believe you honey, but how come we’ve never heard about this? How come no one at his school ever picked up on this?”

“For two reasons mum. First, as you know the teachers at school don’t give a shit about Kodi.” My mum glared at my use of language. “I’m not going to apologise for telling the truth mum. More importantly, Kodi has found one thing he is truly good at apart from sports, and he’s afraid someone will try and take it away from him. I’ve tried talking him into telling you guys about his talent, but so far he won’t bite. That’s why Janet asked me to go along with the deception over allowing you to think that it was her who was baking that sour cherry sponge every month. The plan was to get you guys so in love with that blessed sponge first, then when you guys load the praise on her, she was hoping that Kodi would realise just how good a cook he is. Now tell me, what you think of the soufflé, and be honest?”

Mum tentatively took a mouthful. She closed her eyes, and the look on her face was like someone in the deep throes of a full scale orgasm.

“Told you so,” I muttered under my breath.

 

Just as I was getting ready for bed my phone rang.

“Hello.”

“Hey, Kyle.”

“Hey Kodi. How’s it going?”

“Same old, same old. I talked to my parents this evening about telling Mika and the twins’ parents about us.”

“Great minds think alike. I spoke to my parents about the exact same thing over dinner. I think they’re happy that we are thinking about finally telling them, I’m just scared about how they’ll take the news.”

“So am I. My parents offered to be there when we tell them.”

“So did mine. But Kodi, I think this is something we have to do without our parents there. If we can’t even tell our friend’s parents about us on our own, how are we ever going to handle telling the rest of our families, the people we work with in the future, people at college and so on?”

“I agree with you. We’ll talk to the guys properly tomorrow, and if they’re up for it we’ll tell their folks tomorrow afternoon.”

“That soon?”

“Kyle, it’s like a plaster. The sooner we get it done, the sooner it’ll be over. Then at least we won’t have to worry about how we act around them. I’d hate for their parents to find out some other way.”

“So would I. If we keep it from them much longer, it looks like we’re ashamed or something.”

“Kyle, if I could I’d scream it from the rooftops for the whole world to hear. By the way, how did the lemon curd soufflé go?”

“Judging by mum’s reaction, really well. I thought she was getting turned on.”

“Dude, that is not the image I need before going to bed. But I’m glad she liked it. She doesn’t know it was me who taught you how to cook it, does she?” he asked, nervously.

“Of course not,” I lied, “I told her your mum taught me, just like we agreed.” I always hate lying to Kodi, even when it’s in a good cause.

“Thanks, Kyle. So you ready to drop bombshells tomorrow?”

“I guess. We’ll talk to the guys first thing, and if they’re behind us, we’ll tell their folks. Love you, Kodi.”

“Love you more.”

“Love you the most,” I answered back, and again that childish giggle came out.

“How about we agree we love each other same amount?”

“OK. I really do love you Kodi. Breuddwydion melys, cariad.”

Kodi smiled. “Same to you, cariad. Love you Kyle.”

Kyle got under his covers, closed his eyes, and as he fell asleep the last thing he saw was Kodi’s smiling face. At the same time Kodi got under his covers, closed his eyes, and as he fell asleep the last thing he saw was Kyle’s smiling face. Both boys slept deeply and dreamed happily of each other. Anyone watching them sleeping would have seen a look of such contentment and happiness; it would have been like watching a baby sleep.

 

 

Language note:

Breuddwydion melys is Welsh for “sweet dreams”. It is pronounce breth-wid-eon mel-us”

Copyright © 2012 Andy78; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..