Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 5,948 Words
  • 3,205 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel: Next Generation - 44. A Tragedy Averted

I arrived at the hospital Thursday evening and went directly to the main desk, to ask where Frankie was currently located. After I gave the lady Frankie’s name and told her what he was in for, she informed me they had just moved him from recovery into a room. She gave me the room number and directions for how to get there, so I set out for the elevator she indicated I would need to take.

When I got up to the correct floor, I went in the direction the sign indicated I’d need to go in order to get to Frankie’s room. I stopped at the nurse’s station on the way by, so I could inquire about his condition. The nurse on duty asked if I was related, and when I told her I was his father, she told me she’d have the doctor come out and fill me in concerning his status. About three minutes later, the doctor approached my location.

“Mr. Currie, I’m pleased to advise you that your son is no longer in danger,” the doctor announced. “I think his quick thinking is what saved his life or I might have different news to share with you now.”

“I haven’t heard anything about what happened, except he’d been shot in the femoral artery,” I replied.

“I’m afraid I don’t know much about how it happened,” the doctor explained, “but I can inform you as to what the emergency crew told me when they brought your son in. They said that when they reached the scene, your son had removed his tie and used that in conjunction with his baton to make a tourniquet. He then tightened it around his leg to cut off the flow of blood, so he didn’t end up dying out on the interstate. Since the femoral artery is a major blood supplier, I can tell you that if he hadn’t reacted so quickly and appropriately, it would have only taken minutes before he would have lost enough blood to cost him his life.”

“I didn’t know that,” I told him. “Thank you for the information, Doctor, and thank you for everything you’ve done for him.”

“It was my pleasure,” he responded. “I hear he’s a hero for making the stop in the first place, although I wasn’t told any of the specifics about it. However, I do know the nurse has called the local State Police barracks to report that your son is out of surgery and out of danger. She also told them you’ve arrived, so I think someone might be coming by here before long to fill you in about what happened.”

“Thank you for the information, Doctor. May I go in to see my son now?” I asked.

“Certainly, but he won’t be conscious for a while yet,” he advised me. “It will be another half hour or so before the effects of the anesthesia wears off completely. After that, he may still be a little groggy and incoherent, but it should clear up fairly quickly.”

The doctor then left and I went in to see Frankie. He had some tubes sticking in him, but he didn’t look too bad. Hopefully, he’ll come to in a bit and I’ll be able to let him know I’m here. In the meantime, I sat beside him, held his hand and began to talk to him. I wasn’t sure if he could hear me, but I wanted to let him know he was no longer alone.

A short time later, a gentleman in a gray State Police uniform entered the room. He quickly walked over to me and extended his hand.

“We spoke earlier, on the phone,” he began. “I’m Captain Seth Dalton. I’m in charge of your son’s troop.”

“It’s nice to meet you, sir,” I replied, as I shook his hand. “Can you tell me anything about how this happened?”

“I certainly can, but let me start off by telling you that your son’s actions might have helped to prevent the loss of many lives in a terrorist attack,” he began. “Let me give you the details, so you can appreciate what your son did.”

“Yes, I would appreciate you doing that,” I agreed.

“Frank was patrolling I-78 at the time and radioed in to report a suspicious vehicle and run a license check,” Captain Dalton continued. “He saw what appeared to be a moving van with the U-Haul logo on, but Frank reported it didn’t look like an authorized vehicle. He said there had been some kind of poster applied to the vehicle, instead of being painted on, and a large section of the corner of this temporary logo was beginning to peel off and was flapping in the wind. When the license check was run, it came back that the plates had been reported stolen off of a real U-Haul vehicle.”

“But surely that situation doesn’t sound very dangerous,” I observed.

“You’d be surprised,” the Captain replied, “because a truck like that could be used to transport any number of things, including drugs and illegal aliens. They obviously stole the license from a real U-Haul vehicle hoping that it wouldn’t be discovered right away and the could get by with the deception.”

“I can see that now, but the types of uses you’ve just mentioned would never have crossed my mind,” I replied. “I would have just thought that someone was using an unregistered or stolen vehicle to move with.”

“Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case,” he confirmed. “Once this information came back, Frank radioed that he was going to stop the vehicle. He activated the dash cam and turned on the cruiser’s lights and siren, as he attempted to pull the truck over. Once the truck was stopped on the side of the road, Frank pulled in behind them and got out of his cruiser. As he began to approach the other vehicle, the driver got out of the cab of the truck and started toward him. Frank immediately told him to keep his hands where he could see them and get back in the truck.

“As he was watching the driver,” the Captain continued, “Frank told the emergency crew that he noticed movement on the other side of the truck. When he glanced in that direction, he spotted a second occupant coming around the rear of the vehicle. Frankie then pulled his weapon and focused on that person briefly, to make sure he wasn’t planning to attack and didn’t have a weapon. When Frank focused on him, the driver must have pulled a gun from somewhere and started shooting. Frank immediately returned fire, but he was hit in the leg during this exchange and dropped to the ground. At this point, the two suspects jumped back into the truck and took off.”

“I’m glad they didn’t try to finished him off,” I observed.

“I believe they were hoping to get away and I’m fairly positive they knew a manhunt for them would only intensify if they’d killed a police officer,” Captain Dalton observed.

“Why did they feel they had to start shooting in the first place?” I wondered. “Were they transporting drugs or was the truck a large bomb, like the one used in Oklahoma City?”

“It was neither of those things, but the vehicle contained a threat just the same,” the Captain confirmed. “Anyway, Frank fired at the vehicle as it was leaving and punctured both tires on the left rear side. The truck continued on, even though it had two flat tires, and left Frank alone, lying on the ground in front of his cruiser. Frank then used his shoulder radio to report that shots had been fired and an officer was down. Then, he took off his tie and used that, along with his baton, to stop the bleeding until we could get an emergency vehicle to take care of him. They arrived a few minutes later.”

“I’m glad they got to him quickly,” I agreed. “That probably saved his life.”

“The doctor says Frank saved his own life with his quick wits,” Captain Dalton confessed. “And his same quick thinking also helped us capture the two men and prevent them from carrying out their plot. Since we already had the license number, vehicle description and knew what route the truck was on, we dispatched several other cruisers in pursuit. The truck was forced to pull onto the shoulder a couple of miles down the road, because the rear tires had completely shredded and they were driving on the rims. The men were trying to replace the shredded outer tire with one they were taking off the other side, so they could continue on with their mission.

“Upon arriving at the scene, the other officers quickly surrounded the vehicle and used their cruisers for cover,” he continued. “The suspects opened fire and tried to shoot their way out again, so my men fired back. One suspect was killed and the other was seriously wounded. Once they’d been subdued, one of the officers opened the cargo door to the vehicle and discovered why they didn’t want to be stopped. It was filled with all kinds of weapons, including numerous rocket launchers.

“We suspect they were heading to New York City to carry out a terrorist attack,” Captain Dalton added. “It’s possible they were planning to shoot down something, with those weapons, but whether it was for planes, ships or trains we don’t know. They might have even had some other target in mind, possibly a bridge or tunnel, the Statue of Liberty or even the stock exchange. Whatever they were planning, Frank’s keen instincts and quick actions probably averted a major disaster.”

“Wow, I didn’t realize the details surrounding how he’d been shot,” I confirmed, “but I’m certainly proud of what he did.”

“You should also be aware that he’ll probably receive a citation for his heroic actions,” the Captain replied. “He is one of my best men, even though he hasn’t been on the force very long. His military background has served him well though and I suspect he might even get a promotion out of this. After all, he is the major topic of discussion amongst all my superiors.”

This left me totally flabbergasted, but I still managed to keep my wits about me long enough to shake hands with him again before he left. Prior to taking off, Captain Dalton also informed me he would swing by from time to time, so he could see how Frankie was doing. I thought that was very considerate of him and told him so.

Now that I had time to consider everything I’d been told, I was even more impressed by Frankie’s accomplishments. Don’t take me wrong, I’m still very concerned about him and wondered if more things like this were going to keep happening in the future, if he stayed on the force. I know he’s performing a vital service for the state and nation, but I don’t know how many more circumstances like this I can take. I’ve lost two sons over the past few years and I’m not sure if I’ll be able to deal with losing another.

As these thoughts were going through my mind, Frankie was slowing starting to regain consciousness. He was groaning lightly, his eyes were beginning to flicker open and he turned his head slightly to one side. I moved over to him and spoke.

“Frankie, you’re going to be fine and I’m here for you,” I told him.

I don’t think he understood what I’d said, because it appeared as if he was still confused and his eyes weren’t focusing yet. Concerned, I went out to get a nurse to come in and see if she could help.

“He’s starting to come around, but it’s going to take time,” she informed me. “Let me give him something to help out.”

She then went out for a few moments and then came back carrying a syringe. She injected whatever was in it into his IV tube and then disappeared again. A few minutes later, Frankie started to shake off the lingering effects of the anesthetic.

“Dad?” I heard him ask, groggily.

“Yes, Frankie, it’s me,” I assured him. “How are you feeling?”

“Confused,” he responded. “I vaguely remember being shot and some guys taking off in a truck, but it’s all kind of fuzzy.”

“Yes, they had to sedate you, so they could patch you up,” I confirmed.

“Yeah, I remember I got hit in the leg and had to stop the bleeding,” he confessed. “Did they get the guy who shot me?”

“Yes, they killed one of the men and the other was badly wounded,” I informed him. “Your troop commander thinks you foiled a terrorist plot when you pulled the truck over.”

“Really?” Frankie asked. “I knew something wasn’t quite right, but I wasn’t sure what. Damn, I’m glad I trusted my gut and called in the plate number. I could have easily just passed them by, but I got suspicious when I saw the logo peeling off the truck. I just called in the plate number to be sure and it came back stolen. I didn’t think the situation was going to go so badly or I would have called for back-up.”

“Maybe you should start playing it a little safer then,” I suggested. “I don’t know if I can handle you getting injured like this again.”

“Dad, I wasn’t being reckless,” Frankie insisted. “I just thought maybe they were hauling stolen merchandise or maybe using the truck in some sort of scam, but I never thought it would be anything that would erupt in gunfire.”

“Well, I guess it was filled with weapons, including some rocket launchers,” I advised him. “Your Captain said they suspect the men were heading to New York to pull off some kind of terrorist attack.”

“Holy shit!” Frankie exclaimed. “That would explain a few things. I immediately suspected the driver was trying to hide his identity, because he was wearing a ball cap pulled low and had reflective sun glasses on. When the second guy came around the other side of the truck, he looked as if he might be wearing a wig and false beard. I didn’t get a chance to study him for very long, before the driver started shooting.”

“Other than you getting shot, it turned out pretty well,” I confessed. “Your Captain thinks highly of you and told me you’ll probably get a citation for this, and maybe even a promotion. I’m extremely proud of you, but I’m just worried that one of these days it won’t turn out quite this well.”

“I promise to be more careful from now on, Dad, but I really love this job and don’t want to give it up,” Frankie responded. “If I get in the B.C.I., then it won’t be as dangerous, so I’ll just have to hang in there until then.”

Since I knew he really did like being a trooper, I accepted his promise to be more careful in the future and left it at that. I stayed at his bedside and filled him in about the other things going on at home, until I saw he was getting tired. At that point, I told him to get some rest and I’d check into a motel and be back in the morning. He thanked me for being here with him and then I went to find a place to stay. I did check in with the nurses again before I left and gave them my cell number. They told me not to worry and that Frankie is going to be fine, as they sent me on my way to get some rest. Since I had their assurance, I left the hospital and went to find a motel close by.

As soon as I checked into a room, I called Jake, so I could fill him in about everything. We talked for nearly an hour, as I told him what I’d learned and answered all of his questions. During this time, Jake also helped to keep me calm and grounded, so I didn’t let my fears grow out of proportion. I desperately needed that at this point and I was glad he has such a calming effect on me. I also knew he could fill everyone else in about what had happened as well, without panicking anyone. This knowledge not only prevented me from worrying about everyone back home, but our little chat also helped me relax enough so I was able to get some rest.

Frankie was doing much better when I arrived at the hospital the next morning. He told me the doctor wanted him to stay there over the weekend, for observation. The doctor wanted to make certain the patch job held and there was no sign of infection. I told Frankie that was great and informed him I’d stay with him the following week, so I could help out until he was able to do things on his own. He insisted that wasn’t necessary, probably because he knew we were supposed to go on vacation next week, but I told him I was staying with him, whether he liked it or not – and that was an order.

Frankie just laughed at my little joke and assured me the army and the state police had taught him to follow orders from his superiors and never question them. He then added that since I outranked him in the family, he’d do as I commanded, even if he thought I was being overly protective. I told him that was a father’s prerogative and I was glad he wasn’t fighting me on this one.

We spent the day chatting and watching television in his room. Frankie was in very good spirits, although still in a little bit of pain, but the nurses took care of that with some medication. I only left his bedside to go eat and to use the toilet.

Before I left for the evening though, his troop commander came by again to see how Frankie was doing. They chatted for a while about the stop and what happened afterward, and Captain Dalton filled him in about what homeland security and the F.B.I. thought was going on. After they were filled in about what the State Police had discovered in the truck, they had their own observations to share.

From the information the Captain had received back from federal officials, he discovered the two men belonged to an anti-government militia and the F.B.I. suspected they were trying to carry out a terrorist attack and make it appear as if al Qaida or other Muslim jihadists were responsible. They thought this because when the other officers searched the truck, they discovered grease paint, wigs, false beards and mustaches that could be used to make the men appear to be from an Arab country. They suspect the men were trying to make the government look bad and bring down the current administration by making it appear as if they had been asleep at the wheel and allowed another attack on American soil.

Frankie was amazed by this news, but thrilled that he had played a part in stopping it. After they discussed this further, Captain Dalton left, but not before telling Frankie how proud he was of what he’d accomplished. I thought that was a very nice touch.

Shortly after he left, I got a call on my cell phone from Jake. Since I couldn’t answer it in Frankie’s room, because cell phones are prohibited, I went out to find a pay phone. When I located one, I called him back to find out what he wanted. He told me he and the others were just entering Allentown and asked for direction to the hospital and for Frankie’s room number. Once I’d given him that information, he said they would see us shortly.

When they arrived, Frankie was glad to see each of them, but insisted they shouldn’t have come all this way to see him. He said he’d be fine, but the others said they wouldn’t have dreamt of not coming and being here for him. They even snuck Joshie in to see him and he went over to his uncle and tried to make him feel better.

“Are you sick, Uncle Frankie?” Joshie asked.

“Yes, something like that,” Frankie agreed.

“Will you feel better soon?” Joshie asked next.

“I’m already feeling better, now that you’re here,” Frankie assured him.

I could see Joshie’s little chest puff out, since he thought he might have made his uncle feel better. Once their conversation had ended, we filled the rest of them in about the information Captain Dalton had shared with us.

“Damn, Frankie the hero,” Trey stated. “I always knew you had it in you.”

“After the rough start we had, I’m glad you’re willing to give me that much credit,” Frankie acknowledged. I think Trey’s comment had made him feel very good.

“Everyone else will be here tomorrow,” Jake informed us. “Jordan and Nicky’s parents will be coming and they’ll pick the boys up here, but everyone wanted to see you too and let you know they hoped you’d recover quickly.”

“They don’t have to do that,” Frankie insisted. “I know you were all supposed to go on vacation next week.”

“We decided we might do a few things, but we’d rather be here for you,” Jake replied. “Hell, we didn’t even know you were a hero then, so now we have something to celebrate, as well as trying to make sure you get better soon.”

I think Frankie was a little embarrassed by this news, but he did enjoy talking to everyone. We all stayed in with him until visiting hours ended, and then we told Frankie we’d see him again in the morning. After that, I led everyone over to the motel I was staying at. Jake would be staying with me, but we got everyone else a room and then they all went to settle in, clean up and go to bed.

Before we turned in though, I called Michael, Marie, Elizabeth and Robert to let them know about Frankie’s condition and to give them directions. They each thanked me and said they’d see us tomorrow, and I apologized that our vacation plans had run into this glitch. They all told me not to worry about it and they were just glad Frankie was okay, before we hung up.

The rest of the family showed up the next day and we took turns going in to see Frankie. There were just far too many of us to go in at one time, but the hospital staff did find it amazing, and maybe even humorous, as to what a large group there was.

In between our shifts in with Frankie, we also discussed the vacation plans. I told the others there was no way I would be going with them, but I hoped the rest of them would take advantage of the reservations and the plans I’d made. Eventually, I talked Jake into going with them too, although he had wanted to stay with me, but I told him to do this for the others, especially the kids. I even emphasized that he worked hard and needed to relax on his vacation and not baby-sit with Frankie and me, so he finally relented and agreed to go.

Everyone stayed in Allentown until Monday morning, because they were going to be staying at the house with us during that time anyway and didn’t have any other plans until Monday. Before they left, I said goodbye to each one and thanked them for coming together as a family to support Frankie. They each said they’d never consider doing anything else and reiterated that’s what family was for. I couldn’t agree with them more.

After they took off, I went to the hospital and stayed with Frankie until the doctor came in and released him. I then drove him over to his apartment and helped him get comfortable. I was surprised that Frankie wanted to get up and do so much on his own, even though I told him I would wait on him and take care of everything for the rest of my time there. He just stated that it wasn’t necessary and he didn’t like feeling like an invalid. I just hoped he didn’t break his stitches or do any further damage than what had already occurred.

Some of his co-workers stopped by from time to time to see how he was doing and a couple of them got his car keys from him and went back to the station house to get his car. It had been at the barracks since he signed out the cruiser on Thursday, and although they returned the cruiser after he had been taken to the hospital, they didn’t have his keys to bring his car here. Therefore, they happily did that for him now. He wouldn’t be able to drive for a while, but at least he’d have his wheels when he was able to get out of his apartment again.

Before the end of the week, Captain Dalton showed up again and told Frankie there would indeed be a formal ceremony to honor and award him with a citation. It would be a joint ceremony, since the federal government wanted to do something for him too. I think that came as a total shock to both of us and we wondered what that would possibly entail.

Captain Dalton told us this probably wouldn’t happen for a month or more, since there was a lot to do to plan an event of this nature. He did assure me though, that our family would be included, along with some of Frankie’s co-workers and some notable state and federal officials. It appeared as if this was going to be a much larger event than I had first suspected. I merely thought it was something they would do at the troop barracks, possibly with some reporters on hand, but it appeared they might be planning to make a much larger event out of this.

On their way back from vacation, the others stopped back to check up on Frankie again, before they returned to their homes. I thought it was extremely thoughtful that they did this and Frankie was eager to show them that he was on the mend and would be back at work again, just as soon as he could get the doctor to release him for duty. I think we all wondered if he might be pushing this a little, but Frankie was adamant. He was eager to get back to work.

When Michael, Marie, Elizabeth and Robert left, along with their families, we gave them a nice send off. I also told them I was sorry that I hadn’t been able to join them on their vacation, but they assured me they understood. They also told me that they’d had a wonderful time and appreciated all the work I had done to make it so enjoyable for them.

As the rest of us prepared to return home, we said goodbye to Frankie and went out to our vehicles. That’s when Elliot announced that he wanted to ride back with me. Since his fathers hadn’t gone on this vacation, because they had to work, he decided to go tag along with me, so I wouldn’t be driving back alone. Jesse and Joshie quickly decided they wanted to join me too and the others rode home with Jake in the Suburban.

On the way back, the boys filled me in about everything they’d done on vacation, although I was well aware of what was planned. After all, I was the one who made all of the arrangements. That didn’t seem to matter to them though, and they eagerly recounted everything they had done. They told me that even though they’d had a great time, Jesse and Elliot insisted they’d had more fun with me in Cleveland. I wasn’t sure if they were just telling me this to make me feel better or if it was the truth. Maybe I’ll never know which is correct.

When we arrived at the house, I was in for another surprise. Danny and Brandon quickly announced that Noah’s mother had succumbed to the cancer the previous Wednesday and they were just waiting for us to come back before they brought him here to live with us.

They had contacted Aunt Sally even before his mother had passed away and explained the situation to her. Danny and Brandon did this because they realized Social Services would need to take custody of Noah first and then Aunt Sally could make certain they were assigned as his foster parents. They needed to do it this way, because Noah’s mother didn’t have an opportunity to arrange for the legal transference of custody of her son to Danny and Brandon before she died. I believe including Aunt Sally in on this, since she’s the director of D.S.S., was a very wise move on Danny and Brandon’s part.

Since they hadn’t discussed this with the boys yet, we called Elliot and Jesse into the room with us. We thought we should break the news to them first, before Noah suddenly showed up one evening.

“We called you in here because we have something we’d like to discuss with you,” Danny began. “While you guys were on vacation, we met a boy whose father died a couple of years ago and his mother passed away a few days ago. He doesn’t have anyone else to take care of him and we were thinking he might like to be part of our family. What would you think of that?”

For a minute or so neither of them said a word, but then Jesse broke the silence.

“Would he be my brother or Elliot’s?” he wondered.

“He would be Elliot’s brother,” Danny admitted. “Elliot, what do you think about this?”

“It will take some getting used to,” he responded. “I’ve never had to share parents before, but I guess I’ll just have to adjust. You took me in when I didn’t have anyone else, so it would be selfish of me to hog you guys for myself when this boy needs you too.”

“We’re glad you feel that way,” Brandon told him. “His name is Noah and he’s eleven-years old. Does that make you feel any differently about doing this?”

“Nope. It might be fun having a little brother,” Elliot stated. “Jesse can give me some pointers.”

“Yeah, and he’s close to Joshie’s age too, so maybe they’ll hit it off as well,” Jesse offered. “That way, if he isn’t interested in what we’re doing, he’ll still have someone else to hang out with.”

“That would be good,” Brandon added.

Brandon then quickly went over some of the background information on Noah and brought the boys up to date on what he’s been through. They also asked Jesse and Elliot if they’d mind helping him cope with what’s happened, since they both had suffered a similar loss. Jesse said he’d do what he could, but Elliot was more reluctant.

“I don’t know what I’ll be able to do,” he admitted. “I still have trouble talking about what happened and if I dwell on it too much then I have those stupid nightmares.”

“We certainly wouldn’t want you to do anything that might upset you or cause you to have bad dreams again,” Danny told him. “Just do what you’re comfortable with, but if you begin to feel the need to excuse yourself, try to make certain Noah knows you’re not upset with him.”

“Okay. I think I can do that,” Elliot agreed.

Once that had been cleared up, Danny and Brandon announced they wanted to bring Noah home with them tomorrow evening, if that was okay with the rest of us. Once we gave them our approval, Danny quickly called his oncologist friend and gave him the good news.

Now that this had been taken care of, they filled Dion, Trey and Joshie in about Noah’s anticipated arrival too. Danny and Brandon watered the information down for Joshie first and then sent him off to find Elliot and Jesse, before telling Dion and Trey the detailed information. Everyone seemed to be fine with this news.

After that, we grabbed a quick bite to eat and then sat down to chat for a while, before we went to bed. Elliot and Jesse were quite eager to tell Danny and Brandon about their vacation, and then Danny and Brandon filled us in about what else had happened while we’d been gone. Kevin was thrilled with how things were going at the pharmacy and he’d had a fairly good first couple of weeks. Not only that, but most of the offices at the health center had opened, except for Danny’s, so things were going fairly well there too. Not only that, but some of the other funding has been approved and started to roll in, so Danny was ordering the equipment needed for the lab. He plans to open it up in a couple of weeks, so things seemed to be going quite well and I hoped this trend continued.

Eventually, everyone began to head off to his bedroom, but Jesse was surprised when Elliot showed up in his room instead. Elliot looked a little down as he walked over and wrapped his arms tightly around Jesse.

“Hey, what’s the matter?” Jesse asked, as he rubbed Elliot’s back soothingly.

“I miss Nicky,” Elliot admitted.

“Yeah, I miss them too,” Jesse comforted, “but we’ll see them again soon.”

“I told him I loved him,” Elliot confessed.

“Wow! How did that go?” Jesse asked.

“He said he’s not gay, but he didn’t get upset or anything and it didn’t change anything between us,” Elliot stated. “I’ve just felt a little down about it and needed a hug is all.”

“I’m sorry, buddy. I know you like him a lot. When did you tell him?” Jesse inquired.

“When we were in Cleveland,” Elliot confirmed.

“That was weeks ago!” Jesse replied, confused. “How come you didn’t tell me sooner?”

“I didn’t want to talk about it while they were still with us,” Elliot explained.

“I understand,” Jesse commiserated. “It will be ok though. I didn’t notice any difference in how you guys got along while we were on vacation and I’m sure you’ll find a nice guy. Even better, it will be one who lives here in town.”

“Yeah, Nicky really is great and he didn’t treat me any differently after I told him how I felt,” Elliot stated. “When they left, he hugged me and said it would always be our little secret.”

“See, I told you he was a great guy,” Jesse concurred. “Do you feel better now?”

“Yeah, I’ll be ok, but can I sleep with you tonight?” Elliot asked.

“Sure, I’d like the company,” Jesse agreed, with a smile.

Elliot snuggled close to Jesse and Jesse wrapped his strong arms around him. He was genuinely sorry that things hadn’t worked out between his nephews, because he thought they would have made an adorable couple, but he was proud of both of them. He was proud of Elliot for finding the courage to tell Nicky how he felt and he was proud of Nicky for being so considerate of Elliot’s feelings and not letting the situation cloud their friendship. Jesse knew that in time Elliot would find someone special.

Copyright ©2011 by billwstories
  • Like 11
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Good to hear Frankie is OK and not only that, but even averted real catastrophe.

Too bad though, we did not have chance to hear what the others did on the vacations. I'll take this opportunity to tell that I feel this story may work better as third-person instead of first-person. The first-person storytelling may work for book one, when it was Josh and few boys, but since then, I feel third-person storytelling would have give this story more opportunities to show readers what's going on. Even more now, when Danny, Brandon and even Trey and Dion seem to be as important characters as Josh.

Noah is finally going to be introduced to the family and no rage happend. OK, as I told, it's tour story, but I still feel that to be slightly unbelievable. Sorry, I just can't help myself.

All in all though, good chapter to great story. Can't wait for more, especially for how Noah will fit to the family and how he will cope with his loss and also how Elliot will handle this reminder to his own tragedy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2011 11:47 AM, Horn said:
Good to hear Frankie is OK and not only that, but even averted real catastrophe.

Too bad though, we did not have chance to hear what the others did on the vacations. I'll take this opportunity to tell that I feel this story may work better as third-person instead of first-person. The first-person storytelling may work for book one, when it was Josh and few boys, but since then, I feel third-person storytelling would have give this story more opportunities to show readers what's going on. Even more now, when Danny, Brandon and even Trey and Dion seem to be as important characters as Josh.

Noah is finally going to be introduced to the family and no rage happend. OK, as I told, it's tour story, but I still feel that to be slightly unbelievable. Sorry, I just can't help myself.

All in all though, good chapter to great story. Can't wait for more, especially for how Noah will fit to the family and how he will cope with his loss and also how Elliot will handle this reminder to his own tragedy.

Yes, we all have our own opinions.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Glad Frankie is doing OK and the upcoming ceremony sounds like it will be interesting. So, new coming baby is zero, Joshie is 5, Noah is 11 and Elliot is 15, basically a 5 year spread for each of the next generation. It eagerly anticipating you filling out the family with age matches or in betweens, while these amazing kids are getting along great I would imagine the age gap will prevent the types of friendship that permeated the previous generation. I'm guessing that if some of the gaps were filled in, they would act as natural bridges to knit the generation as a whole into a cohesive unit.

 

I recall that with the previous generation, most of the time, each new kid was ultimately comforted by someone that shared an aspect of their story and talking amongst themselves. In Noahs case, it seems that Elliot is the man but as he seems not to be ready, personally I flashed on Vinnie (is that right, Vinnie lost his parents in a plane crash, right and he is paired with Keven thus is often close by).

 

I am a bit bummed that we don't get a detailed recounting of the the summer vacation the rest of the family went on. Perhaps you would consider doing the next book to cover basically the same time frame but from a different, perhaps even multiple perspectives. Jake or the various uncles might have a different spin on the same events making for an interesting story and also a good jumping off point for future stories. ;) I recognize I'm just being greedy.

 

Anyway, thanks again for the work and I'll look forward to the next chapter (book as well to tell the truth).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/02/2011 12:20 PM, flashpoint2008 said:
Glad Frankie is doing OK and the upcoming ceremony sounds like it will be interesting. So, new coming baby is zero, Joshie is 5, Noah is 11 and Elliot is 15, basically a 5 year spread for each of the next generation. It eagerly anticipating you filling out the family with age matches or in betweens, while these amazing kids are getting along great I would imagine the age gap will prevent the types of friendship that permeated the previous generation. I'm guessing that if some of the gaps were filled in, they would act as natural bridges to knit the generation as a whole into a cohesive unit.

 

I recall that with the previous generation, most of the time, each new kid was ultimately comforted by someone that shared an aspect of their story and talking amongst themselves. In Noahs case, it seems that Elliot is the man but as he seems not to be ready, personally I flashed on Vinnie (is that right, Vinnie lost his parents in a plane crash, right and he is paired with Keven thus is often close by).

 

I am a bit bummed that we don't get a detailed recounting of the the summer vacation the rest of the family went on. Perhaps you would consider doing the next book to cover basically the same time frame but from a different, perhaps even multiple perspectives. Jake or the various uncles might have a different spin on the same events making for an interesting story and also a good jumping off point for future stories. ;) I recognize I'm just being greedy.

 

Anyway, thanks again for the work and I'll look forward to the next chapter (book as well to tell the truth).

Yes, there are some gaps in the ages, but it's because I didn't want to rush building the family, like I did with Josh. You are also correct that Vinnie parents died in a plane crash, if you want to call it that. They were on one of the 9/11 planes that hit the WTC.

 

After all the vacations the family has been on, I'm not sure why missing out on one is such a big deal. In the past I've been criticized for doing too much and making this a 'travlogue.'

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..