Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 4,182 Words
  • 4,929 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel - 1 - 35. Chapter 35 - Our Family Melds

After breakfast, I asked Kevin and Ricky to watch the two younger boys for a while, so I could take Danny and Dustin to help me cruise garage sales. I was glad we had today free, so we’d be able to do this. Following leads we found in the classified ads section of our local paper, we stopped at a couple of dozen places and eventually purchased a double bed, a single bed and two dressers. They were actually in pretty good shape, which kind of surprised me. I’d never been the garage sale kind of guy; since I felt that people would only be getting rid of the junk they no longer wanted. However, one of the garage sales was the result of a family moving out of the area and they felt it would be cheaper and easier to buy new things, rather than pay to move their old stuff. Another of these sales was being held by a man whose wife had recently passed away, and whose children were grown and not living at home, so he was getting rid of almost everything, so he could move into a smaller place. I was quite pleased with what we found.

After we loaded all of these items into the van, we went straight home and the boys helped me carry everything into the family room, until we decided where to put them later. Then I took my two helpers back out, this time to cruise a furniture store, where we bought new mattresses and box springs for each of the beds. Even if I got a good deal on the frames and dressers, I wasn’t about to allow my boys to use mattresses that someone else had owned. Once we had those safely in the van, we drove home and unloaded our purchases, once again.

The four who had stayed behind had spent their time in the television room and never saw or heard us bring any of the items into the house. After we finished that chore, the three of us went in to join them and they were shocked to see we were back. As soon as the program they were watching ended, I addressed them.

“Cole and Graham. We’re going to have to fix up a place for you, so you can have your own space. Would you boys prefer to stay together, in one room, or do you want a room of your own?”

They looked at each other and seemed to communicate without speaking. After a short pause, Graham turned toward me and answered for them. “Can we stay together? I don’t want to be all alone.”

“You certainly may,” I quickly agreed. “We can put two of the single beds into one room or one big bed in that room. Which would you prefer?”

“You mean we can each have our own bed?” Cole asked, not sure he had heard correctly.

“Yes, if that’s what you want.”

“I think that would be great,” Cole told me, before he turned toward his brother. “What do you think, Graham?”

“That would be okay,” Graham stated, hesitantly, “as long as they’re in the same room and not too far away from each other.”

“That can be arranged,” I assured him. “Now I just need to know what kinds of things you like, so I’ll have some idea about how to decorate your new room?”

“I like animals,” Graham replied eagerly, and then he giggled. It was an infectious laugh, which made the others giggle too.

“Dad, can I see you alone for a minute?” Danny interrupted. I knew he wouldn’t do this without a good reason, so I agreed and excused myself, so I could go with him into my office. “Dad, why don’t you show them my room? If they like it, I’ll move into the front bedroom, next to Dustin and Kevin’s room. I think I’m getting kind of old for the jungle room, anyway.”

“That’s an extremely generous offer, Danny, and very thoughtful,” I told him. “Why don’t you and I take them up and see what they think of it?” Danny grinned at my suggestion and eagerly nodded his head. Feeling a special glow within us, we went back to the television room, collected our two little wards and lead them upstairs, so they could see the bedroom in question. I explained that Danny had offered to let them have his room and would be happy to take another, if they liked it. Graham’s eyes lit up the second he walked in and Cole’s mouth fell open.

“If you like this room, you can move in here, just as soon as we fix up the other room for Danny,” I told them

“You mean this would be our room?” Graham asked, still unwilling to believe it could possibly be true.

“Yes. You and Cole would share this room,” I clarified.

“Wow, we’ve never had anything this nice before,” Cole added, and then he looked at Danny. “Are you sure you want us to have this?”

“Yes, I do,” Danny told them, while displaying a grin that showed nearly every tooth in his mouth. “I want my two new brothers to have the best room in the house.” Both boys went over and wrapped their arms around their big brother. Once they had sufficiently thanked him, I spoke to him too.

“Danny, let’s go down and look at that other bedroom,” I suggested, once the boys broke their grip. The two little ones joined us, but they looked at Danny in disbelief, once they saw what the other room looked like.

“Danny,” Cole said, “why do you want to give us the nice room and then move into this one. It looks like a girl’s room.”

“It does, now,” I answered him, “but I’ll have it fixed up and make it like new for Danny. It will look a lot better when we’re done.” Turning toward Danny, I continued. “I was thinking you might want to put the same type of walnut paneling on the bottom half, like we did in Dustin and Kevin’s room, and I’ll even give you the double bed that we picked up earlier. That will make it easier for you when Brandon stays over. What would you think of that?”

“I’d like that a lot, Dad,” he agreed. “That will be perfect. I like how Dustin and Kevin’s room turned out, but I don’t want it exactly the same. Can I choose a different wallpaper pattern, since I’m really not fond of the one Dustin chose?”

“Of course you MAY,” I added, with a wink. “That will be fine. Let’s take a quick run to the store and see if we can find something you’d like. I’ll call the contractor Tuesday and ask him when he can start.”

Just to prove that Danny wouldn’t be as bad off as they now suspected, we showed Cole and Graham Dustin and Kevin’s room, explaining it had also looked like a girls room before we redecorated it. Somewhat relieved by the knowledge that Danny hadn’t gotten gypped in the deal, the little ones followed us downstairs. I then informed the others what we were planning, so they could help keep an eye on the younger pair again. Now that everyone was up to date about what was going on, Danny and I went out and jumped into the van, eager to go pick out the wallpaper pattern for his new room.

Danny selected a very nice design – one that displayed the solar system and also dealt with space exploration. I kind of knew before then that Danny was a science buff, but this added another dimension to this fascinating young man. I never realized how much you could discover about a person, while just doing a little redecorating.

Before we retuned, we made another brief stop so I could purchase a couple of items for Cole and Graham. I bought them each a couple of pair of shorts, a couple of t-shirts, two sets of sweatpants and sweatshirts and some underwear. I made sure everything had elastic in it, which could expand as the boys put on weight, but I didn’t want to get them too much, until they reached their normal weight.

When we returned home, I went out and lit the grill, since it was already getting late. I then took out the boneless chicken breasts, which had been marinating all day in the barbecue sauce, in preparation for cooking them. After putting them on the grill, I asked Cole and Graham if they thought they could eat chicken or if they wanted a hamburger or hot dog instead. The shocked me when they announced they each wanted a hot dog, but I accepted their request. I put those on the grill as well, while the older boys entertained their brothers. While our dinner was cooking, I also threw together a tossed salad and an Italian green bean salad, so the boys would have a balanced meal.

I made sure Cole and Graham each had a small piece of chicken too, thinking possibly they had never tried that either. However, I soon discovered they had, but they claimed it hadn’t been as good as my barbecued bird. I wasn’t sure if they were sincere or merely trying to make me feel good, after everything we’d done for them.

After we ate, I decided it would be fun to take all of the boys to see a movie. We got out the newspaper and studied the listing of what was showing, before discussing which movie we were going to see. The boys ended up selecting a Disney film, because they thought everyone would enjoy it, especially our two newest members. The boys raced out to the van, while urging me to move a little faster, and then I drove us to the theater. After buying our tickets and then some popcorn, candy and drinks for each of them, we went in to sit down. When the previews started, Graham’s eyes nearly popped out of their sockets and he exclaimed, “Wow, that sure is a big television!” Needless to say, that’s when it dawned upon us that neither boy had ever seen a movie that wasn’t on TV.

After trying to get the other boys to politely stifle their laughs, I explained the difference between the two forms of media to Cole and Graham. They then told me they’d seen a couple of movies in school, but they weren’t nearly as big as here, but most of the time they’d just watch videos on a television monitor. Sadden by this information, I sat and wondered how many other children in our area might never have experienced the thrill of the large screen. These thoughts were interrupted, however, when the movie began.

Cole and Graham sat transfixed and totally enthralled by the magical scene before them. I actually had more fun just sitting and observing them, rather than watching what the studio had put together. When the film ended, they were so wound up that they chattered, non-stop, all of the way home. I think we all enjoyed watching their excitement and listening to them telling us what they liked best, while reveling in their innocence. I think we each also shed a silent tear or two over the lost portion of their youth and the neglect they had endured. By the time we returned to our place, it was nearly bedtime and the older boys began their evening shower ritual.

Somehow, during the excitement of the day and their continuing comments about their evening, I didn’t think to warn Cole and Graham about the boys’ nightly activities. It wasn’t until the parade of naked bodies began, that it even occurred to me.

“Hey, they’re not wearing any clothes,” Graham noted, before he began to giggle. Somehow, nudity is always a laughing matter with the little ones.

“Yes, they like to run around that way,” I admitted. “I’m sorry I forgot to warn you that the boys prefer to remain naked after their showers, since they know they can only do this when we’re alone. That also includes when a couple of their friends are here too. All other times when we have visitors, the nudie hour is strictly forbidden, unless I give special permission first. I hope this doesn’t bother you and I want you to know that you don’t have to go naked, if you don’t want.”

“Hey, look Cole,” Graham squealed in delight, “Kevin’s pee-pee is just like mine.”

Kevin smiled and walked over to Graham. “That’s right, little brother. I wasn’t cut either and I’ve still got all of my skin.” Kevin was prepared for this, since I had mentioned to him earlier that Graham was also uncircumcised. “When Jay comes over, you’ll see that he’s just like us, too.”

“Who’s Jay?” Graham asked, slightly confused.

“He’s one of our good friends, who is really more like another brother,” Ricky added. “He and Brandon will be coming over tomorrow afternoon and staying until Monday night. They stay here with us a lot and they like to run around without their clothes on, as well.”

Cole looked at me. “Can we do it too? Please?” he whined.

“Sure, if you want to, but first let me give you your bath. Then you can run around nude for the rest of the night, if that’s what you want.”

Immediately, Cole and Graham made an attempt to pull me off the coach, signaling their desire to be able to enjoy this activity as quickly as they could. I gave them the fastest bath I had ever given to one of my children, since they weren’t nearly as dirty as the previous night, and then dried them off. When we went back downstairs, everything went fine, at least as soon as the other boys got over the queasy feeling they felt from seeing how sickly the two little ones looked. Ricky was the most shaken by the sight of their unclothed forms. Even though he had seen them briefly the night before, being able to count nearly every bone in their body was just too much for him.

“How could parents not feed such cute kids?” he whispered in my ear. “The cops should lock those parents in a cage and feed them only once a week. Maybe that would teach them what those two must have gone through and what it felt like.”

“I doubt it,” I replied, shaking my head. “Their mother and her boyfriend were into the booze so badly that nothing else mattered to them. It would probably take much more than missing a few meals for them to learn any lesson.” I happened to look up at Kevin at that moment and saw that tears beginning to pool in his eyes. Excusing myself from Ricky, I walked over to him to see if I could help him in some way.

“What’s up, big guy?” I asked, in an effort to break the ice.

“I was just thinking about how I’d felt sorry for myself, after what happened between me and my dad. I thought I had it bad, but it was nowhere near as bad as they had it. At least my folks fed me. Looking at them, I feel like a big baby for feeling so sorry for myself.” I gave him a hug, as the first measure to reassure him.

“You did nothing wrong and it’s only human to feel sad when things get as bad as they were for you,” I told him. “Just be glad they’ll never have to worry about being hungry or lonely again, at least as long as they live here.” Kevin turned, hugged me and kissed me, full on the lips. That alone shocked the hell out of me.

“I love you, Dad,” he gushed, after removing his lips from mine. “We all love you very much. Thank you for everything, because who knows what would have happened, if you hadn’t been there for us.” I couldn’t think of a response, and I was too choked up to speak, even if I had, so I just stood there and hugged him tighter.

That night I lay awake for longer than normal, not because of any problems or because I was troubled about what the boys had endured before they came to me. It was because I was appreciating the fact that my life was now full and I knew I was truly, and deeply, loved.

Sunday, Brandon, Jay and their parents arrived shortly after lunch. We were planning the cookout for dinner, but I wanted to spend as much time with everyone as we could. As a precaution, Danny and Ricky had called and warned all of them about Cole and Graham, because they didn’t want them to be shocked when they saw the boys. As they got out of their cars, none of them let their reactions betray how they actually felt, when they saw how our two newest family members looked. After making the formal introductions, the boys stayed outside to play, while I led the adults indoors. After offering them all a drink, we moved back outside to watch the boys and get acquainted.

Sally arrived just as we were seating ourselves around the picnic tables, so I made quick introductions and explained Sally’s vital connection to us. I then took her drink order, went in and got what she wanted, and returned to join in the discussion. As we talked, we also watched the boys enjoying themselves.

One of my sons had grabbed the old rubber playground ball I had lying around and brought it out so they could play kickball, instead of soccer. They figured both Cole and Graham would know that game, since it is a playground and summer activity staple, and it would allow them to participate with everyone else. I was appreciative that the boys took time to think about the two younger ones and proud as I watch how they dealt with their weakened condition. To level the playing field, the older boys made several intentional fielding errors, although they were good enough actors so Cole and Graham didn’t catch on, yet it made both of them feel better about themselves.

We all got a kick out of watching the boys enjoy themselves, but I was particularly proud as I watched my eight sons having such a good time. Yes, I absolutely consider Brandon and Jay my sons too, even though I would never do anything to interfere with their relationship with their own parents. After the boys finished their game, I was pleased to see Cole and Graham laughing and joking with the others, totally enjoying themselves and bonding with their brothers.

Now that the game had ended, Cole and Graham came running over to where I was sitting and filled me in on everything they thought I had missed. They were so excited about what had happened and it was evident they felt like they were officially part of our family. After listening to each of them recall his exploits, I left the boys to do whatever they were planning next.

We adults also continued to enjoy ourselves and I fixed everyone a new drink, since we had all finished what we had. As we chatted, we began to gain a better insight into each other and both sets of parents were happy to fill Sally in about why they allowed their sons to spend so much time with us. Although I surmised she was already well aware about what they were going to say, I do think she discovered a few small surprises along the way. During these discussions, we also got to know each other better and felt closer as the minutes passed.

As it approached dinnertime, I went inside to get the steaks, so I could throw them on the grill. The fathers stood around the grill chatting with me, while the ladies stayed at the picnic table and continued to chitchat with each other. After leaving both fathers to keep an eye on the steaks, I went back into the house, to start dragging out the other items, including the salads. As they saw me pass by and realized what I was doing, the ladies followed me inside, to lend a helping hand.

“Josh, you have a lovely place here,” Audrey Curtis told me, as she looked around. “How do you keep it looking so nice… and so clean, with all of your sons? I didn’t think a man on his own could do so well, because I’m sure my home would look like a pig sty, if my husband and son were left alone for any length of time.”

Brenda tittered and agreed with her. “Same with my pair,” she concurred.

“Thank you for your compliment,” I offered, sincerely, “but I couldn’t do this without the boys’ help. They do a great deal to make sure this place looks nice when their friends come over.”

“How in the world do you do it?” Audrey asked. “You’ll have to share your secret with me.”

“With me too,” Brenda added, while Sally merely stood off to the side with that ‘I told you so’ look on her face.

Once we had lugged everything outdoors, we called the boys over to eat, after Pat and Howie informed me the steaks were done. Cole and Graham were each hesitant to take any steak and just put some salad and chips on their plate, before sitting down. Noticing this, Danny and Kevin moved over to sit beside the two boys and cut up several smaller pieces from their steaks and placed it on the younger boys’ plates, urging them to try it. Somewhat reluctantly, both boys did and soon discovered they liked it. I should have realized their hesitation was due to the fact that they’d never had steak before either.

Seeing what the older pair had done, I picked up the platter with the remaining steaks and cut one in half, before giving one half to Danny and the other to Kevin, to replace what they’d so unselfishly shared with their brothers. Then I cut up the final one, and split it between Cole and Graham. I think the other adults had noticed what the boys had done too, because they were looking at them with great admiration, as I went back to sit down.

After dinner, the boys offered to do the cleanup, and they did a good job too. Even Jay and Brandon pitched in to help, which nearly floored their parents. “Josh, you’ve really got to share your secret with us,” Brenda teased me. “Brandon never does that at home.”

“And I didn’t think Jay had ever scraped off or rinsed a dish off before, until I saw him do it here,” Audrey added. “I think I want him spending more time around you and your sons, if you’re going to rub off on him like that.” After we all laughed at her comment, we decided to move the party inside.

The boys dug out some board games and set them up, one on the dining room table and the other on the card table they had set up in the living room. Once again, the older boys made sure to invite Cole and Graham to join them, but this time they also included the rest of us in on these activities. Some of us chose to play Monopoly in the dining room, while the others played Life in the living room. I think everyone had a good time.

When the games finished, Sally and both set of parents announced it was time for them to leave. After saying good-bye to the rest of us, they headed out to their cars and drove off. However, before they did, they thanked all of us for the wonderful time and the mothers kissed their sons good night, while their fathers reminded them to behave. How typical.

Once the other adults had departed, the shower brigade began. I bathed the two little ones again and then they insisted on parading around the house in their birthday suits. When Jay finished his shower, he saw them and got very excited.

“All right!” he shouted. “We’ve got another one who’s not cut.” Graham looked at Jay and smiled, knowing that Jay was referring to him.

“Yep, you’re just like me and Kevy,” Graham responded, with an obvious feeling of pride. It wasn’t quite even in numbers yet, but there were three uncircumcised boys out of the eight. As I looked around the room and watched them interact, I came to a conclusion. I’m definitely going to have a couple of signs made for the foyer. I’ll talk to my contractor Tuesday, when I have him come to measure for redecorating Danny’s bedroom. I want one to read, ‘The Castaway Hotel,’ and a smaller one to add, ‘and Nudist Colony.’

Copyright © 2010 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Doha

Posted (edited)

I've been wondering how Josh is funding 6 extra mouths in the household. 

Edited by Doha
  • Like 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Doha said:

I've been wondering how Josh is funding 6 extra mouths in the household. 

Back when I wrote this, prices weren't so high, so it wouldn't have been difficult for a man with Josh's background and income to support the boys.  I hope that answers your questions. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..