Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 3,689 Words
  • 3,315 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel - 6 - 21. Chapter 21- Personal Triumps

School restarted after the Christmas break and a rash of unexpected occurrences immediately confronted me. The first was an unanticipated surprise that made me quite proud. I didn’t really think much of it at the time, because I felt I was just a proud parent making more of his child’s accomplishments than was actually called for. However, I soon discovered this was not the case and Dion justly deserved the accolades.

It all came about when Dion participated in the holiday concert, before the start of Christmas break. He was a member of the high school chorus, but it turned out he wasn’t just part of that group. He had also been selected to perform a very difficult and beautiful solo.

Dion had kept this a secret and didn’t divulge the honor to any of us in advance, except for possibly Vinnie. However, if he had told anyone, nobody said a word to me. I was shocked when his name was announced, but by the time he’d finished, I understood why he had been selected. I thought he had done an excellent job and was very impressed with his voice and presence in front of an audience, but I also wondered if this was just due to my fatherly pride. Did Dion actually have that much talent?

Long after the concert ended, I continued to question whether it had been my imagination or if Dion was really that good. Although he had confided to me, on more than one occasion, that he hoped to sing in a group some day, I thought it was just a part of every kid’s fantasy. Didn’t nearly every child want to grow up and become a rock star or famous pop singer? I knew he had a decent voice, but I didn’t realize he had the high quality pipes to actually pull it off.

Once we returned to school, Dion’s chorus director came to see me, to share some phone messages and cards she had received about the concert. These had come from friends, faculty members and parents, and I was surprised to learn that many of the writers had actually mentioned Dion specifically. Most made very poignant comments about the song he sang and the range and quality of his voice. Once I’d finished going over them, his chorus director assured me the praise was justly deserved.

I asked if I could borrow these items, so I could share them to Dion, and she happily told me I could. She said I could return them to her when I’d finished and even encouraged me to make copies of them, if Dion wanted to put them in a scrapbook. Before we parted, I thanked her for the excellent job she’d done with him and for sharing these items with us.

When I showed them to Dion later, he was flattered, impressed and maybe even a little embarrassed by the recognition. Once word got out, the other boys wanted to see and hear what everyone else had to say and then they added their own comments about how well they thought Dion had done. I was happy to see there was no jealousy rearing its ugly head here.

I thought this would be the end of the attention and excitement, but it wasn’t. Dion’s chorus director approached us again, a few days later, to inform us that she wanted to feature him in the end of the year concert as well. Dion and I were stunned and overwhelmed by the offer and stood momentarily speechless. Once Dion recovered, he thanked her for thinking of him and said he’d consider it. As an afterthought, he suggested maybe someone else should have the chance, but she told him solos were reserved for only the very best.

Before we had a chance to respond to her comment, she sprang another surprise on us. She said she had arranged for Dion to receive a scholarship to take private lessons from a professional voice instructor. These lessons would be given every other weekend at the University of Pittsburgh and she even volunteered to drive Dion and a female student there to participate. She informed us this would add polish to his natural talent and help him progress to the next level.

After thanking her for considering Dion for this honor, I told her we’d have to discuss it first, before we made any commitments. She said she understood, but hoped we’d realize what a fantastic opportunity this was and wouldn’t pass it up. She then told us to get back to her about it as soon as we were able, because the sessions started in less than a month.

When we got home, Dion and I talked about this in more detail and Dion was very psyched about participating. He thought he would be able to improve his vocal skills to the point where he might even be able to make money singing professionally. Although I understood this to mean he was thinking about being the lead singer in a rock group, I indicated it could also mean singing popular music or another musical genre, including musicals or opera.

I’m not sure Dion was interested in considering those extremes, but he did seem adamant about the vocal lessons, so I agreed it would be a good idea. It was at this point when Dion made a suggestion of his own. He asked me if it would be all right if he asked his chorus director if she’d work with him on the off weekends, so he could get two points of view and improve even quicker. Although I told him there was no rush and I didn’t want him to strain his vocal chords by trying to do too much, too fast, he was insistent. Therefore, I gave him permission to broach the idea with her, to see how she felt. If she agreed it wouldn’t be too much for him, then I’d go along with it too. After thanking me several times, and giving me a tremendous hug, he ran off to tell Vinnie the good news.

The next issue I had to confront wasn’t quite as pleasant. It had to do with Cole’s continuing difficulty with academics. Although we’ve had to deal with his learning problems for a number of years, he had been able to make adequate adjustments or utilized tutors to get him through the rough times. However, as the years progressed, it became more and more difficult for Cole to keep up with the workload. Now, he was midway through his junior year of high school and his grades were either borderline or in dire distress. I think we were all beginning to accept the fact that Cole wasn’t college material.

Recognizing the situation, I sat down with Cole and discussed his options, to see where his interests lay. I knew he was good with his hands and had always enjoyed fixing things. He was the one everyone went to when something was wrong with his bike, small device or computer, so I knew Cole was mechanically inclined. Recently, he had also expressed an interest in learning how to work on our vehicles.

After discussing this with him at great length, we decided to switch Cole over to a technical program, where he could take courses in automotive repair, as well as take advantage of the machine and tool shop. He seemed pleased with these choices and relieved that he wouldn’t have to continue struggling with the academic subjects that overwhelmed him. He thanked me, repeatedly, for being understanding about his difficulties and giving him a choice that suited him better.

Seeing how pleased Cole was, I told him it was the least I could do. I also confessed that I realized, long ago, that all of my boys had their own strengths and weaknesses, but it didn’t mean any of them were less important or less worthy than any of the rest. As our discussion continued, I explained it was time we began to focus on his strengths and establish a future for him where he could be successful and prove he was just as vital a cog to this family as everyone else. I suggested we would meet with his guidance counselors to set this up, if this was what he wanted. He enthusiastically said it was and then he thanked me yet again for being so understanding and for helping to do what was best for him.

As the days of January rocketed by, we heard from Ricky several more times. He was busy making his way around Australia, including taking a quick trip to New Zealand, but he wasn’t so preoccupied that he didn’t keep us informed. His brothers told him to make sure he took plenty of pictures and videos of every place he went, so he could share them with us when he returned. Ricky promised he would, but his phone calls were merely to let us know where he was and what he was up to.

During the first call after he went off on his own, Ricky gave us the low-down on how Kylie reacted during their last few days together. He told us she cried, carried on and pleaded with him to just spend the last month with her, instead on traveling on his own. He tried to explain this would most likely be his only chance to do something like this, so he couldn’t pass up such a wonderful opportunity.

Kylie was upset with him after hearing his reasons for going. She told him that meant he didn’t really love her and then she screamed at him to leave. After failing to convince her she misunderstood, she told him she never wanted to see him again.

In a way, I was glad it was over, because I knew their trying to stay together would only muddy the waters of Ricky’s future, but I felt his pain and told him so. I commiserated about her rejecting him for nearly an hour, before he finally summed up his take on the relationship.

“Well, it’s over, but it was fun while it lasted,” he told me, simply. Although I thought he was being too cavalier about this, I decided not to comment on the situation further, so our conversation ended there.

Around mid-month, Mark also came back to live with us. He was returning to work at the bank full-time now, while continuing to handle my personal investments, as well as dealing with parts of the Castaway Foundation’s portfolio. He had finished all his coursework at college, and for all intents and purposes was now a college graduate, but his school didn’t hold a December graduation. If he wanted to attend a graduation ceremony, he would have to return in May and go through the baccalaureate services with the entire class.

At first he said he was just going to skip it, because it wasn’t that important, but I finally convinced him it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and he shouldn’t pass it up. I also reminded him that his mother might enjoy attending his graduation too and it would probably make her very proud to see him receive his degree. After considering my comments further, he agreed to attend his graduation ceremony, if only for his mother’s sake. I assured him it was a wise decision and I’d arrange for the entire family to be there to see it too. I’d also arrange for his mother’s flight and pay her expenses while she was in Arizona, because I knew her financial situation was not very good, and he thanked me for all my help and support.

While we were on the topic of his mother, I suggested it might be wise if he talked to her about moving here, so they could be together again. Seeing he was planning on staying in the area to work, he thought it was a good idea and said he’d bring it up the next time they spoke.

On a totally different front, Cody finished going through the last of his chemotherapy treatments near the end of the month. This meant the oncologist was now ready to re-inject the good cells back into his body. The doctor had taken these cells from Cody before he began chemotherapy and then froze them to use at this time.

The doctor assured me that, from what he could tell, the diseased cells in Cody’s body had been totally destroyed. By reintroducing the good cells at this point, they should start duplicating and bring Cody back to his normal, healthy self. The procedure was scheduled to take place two days later and everything went smoothly. Once we were allowed to leave, we were informed the doctor wanted to see Cody again, in a couple of weeks, to make sure the cells were doing what they were supposed to. After thanking him, we left his office feeling confident that everything was going to be all right now.

Even though a lot was going on already, I still had two other matters to occupy my mind. The first concerned Nick. He received a letter at the end of January notifying him that he had been accepted as an exchange student. It also explained he’d be going to a small village, an hour or so away from Sao Paulo, Brazil. Nick was thrilled when he discovered he’d made it, but he was even more excited to learn he’d be going to Brazil, as he wanted. The dates given in the letter indicated he would be leaving a couple of weeks after his own school year ended, which was what had also happened with Ricky. This meant Nick would have to forgo his summer vacation, so he could begin his exchange program, but this didn’t seem to be a big deal for him, especially since we’d talked about this possibility previously.

The second matter concerned Ricky. He had just finished his month of independent travel and would be returning home soon. We were going to have to drive to New York City again, to pick him up at Kennedy airport. I think we were all excited about seeing Ricky again, but we would have to take two vehicles to pick him up. That’s because the family could no longer squeeze into just one. I thought about chartering a bus, but quickly nixed that idea. We’d be dropping the college boys off on the way back, to allow them a chance to welcome Ricky home first, and the bus just wouldn’t work as well.

Jake drove the Suburban and I piloted the van. We got an early start and struck out for the Big Apple, to rescue our prodigal son. Even though I had received numerous emails from Ricky and spoke with him on the phone several times, it didn’t mean I was any less excited about seeing him again. I was also very familiar with what he had done while he was away, but I was also looking forward to seeing the pictures and videos of his exploits. I also had a few surprises for Ricky, as I had made some plans of my own for his return.

After a long drive, we reached the airport and waited at a location as close to the baggage claim area as we could get. When Ricky appeared, he spotted us immediately and sprinted in our direction. He honed in on my location and embraced me in an enormous bear hug, nearly squeezing all the air from my lungs in the process. After he relaxed his grip, I kissed his forehead and welcomed him home and then he performed a similar ritual with Jake and all of his brothers.

I got a special kick out of his reaction when he came to Cody. After giving him the once over, Ricky smiled and announced, “You must be my new brother.”

Cody beamed from ear-to-ear and nodded vigorously, affirming Ricky’s assumption. That’s when Ricky wrapped his arms around Cody, lifted him into the air and spun him around in a circle. This made the rest of us jump back, so we didn’t get nailed by Cody’s wildly swinging feet and legs. Cody was enjoying the attention Ricky was giving him, and after Ricky put him back on the ground, he kissed Cody on the forehead, put his arm around Cody’s shoulders and said, “Hey, little bro, would you like to help me carry my bags?”

Cody nodded eagerly and it was obvious he was willing to do anything for this guy he had just met. It was evident Ricky had endeared himself to Cody in just a few minutes, much the same way he had wormed his way into all of our hearts. No one else could have done it any quicker or with less effort than he had.

The rest of us merely stood there watching as this took place and willingly gave the pair all the time they needed to bond. I had concluded, long before they met, that Ricky and Cody would hit it off. They were so much alike. The only thing I didn’t foresee was that it would happen this quickly or in such a dramatic way. It was a pleasure to observe though and we were all beaming as those two got to know each other even better.

From that point on, the two of them walked side-by-side. They each carried a portion of Ricky’s belongings, although Cody had a very small share, and got to know each other better as they went. I overheard Ricky grilling Cody about many areas of his background, including the aspects he was particularly interested in. When he asked Cody how he liked it at our house so far, Cody told him he loved it. Not only that, but he seemed truly pleased to answer every one of Ricky’s questions.

The longer the two of them kept this up, the more it appeared to bother Graham. I could tell he felt he was the one Cody needed right now, but he wasn’t included in their private homecoming. Guessing what he was going through, I quickly pulled him aside, so I could speak with him alone. When I had his undivided attention, I told him what Cody really needed was to know everyone in the family was there for him, not just his boyfriend. Graham looked shocked when I used that term, so I explained it was evident, at least to me, that was what they were and I think my use of that word made him feel a little better. After we discussed this topic in more detail, he finally gave in and agreed to leave Cody and Ricky alone. He made it clear he would continue on, without butting in.

Graham did admit that he’d missed Ricky too, since he’d been one of Ricky’s cohorts in the past. They had spent a great deal of time together, pulled pranks as a team and even shared the same bed. After reasoning it out, he felt Ricky might be able to spend time with Cody and him together, and maybe they’d even include Cole. I told him that was a great idea and he should mention it to the others, once we returned home.

Ricky and Cody continued their discussion, and when the topic moved to Cody’s illness, Ricky insisted on knowing all about it. He even wanted to know if there was anything he could do to help, which only impressed Cody more. After thanking Ricky for his offer, Cody told him things were going very well and he hoped to be completely cured before long. In response, Ricky said he was glad to hear it, but also let Cody know he’d be there for him, just the same.

I think it was obvious to most of us that Cody and Ricky were as much alike as two peas in a pod. The only exception was the difference in their ages. When it was time to leave, Cody asked if he could sit beside Ricky on the way home, and when he was told he could, he also made sure Graham was sitting on his other side.

All the way back, Ricky told stories about his time in Australia and showed his brothers some of the souvenirs he had brought home with him. These were things everyone could appreciate and enjoy, beginning with a couple of boomerangs. The mere mention of these usual treats seemed to interest more than just Cody and Graham and I could just imagine these aboriginal weapons whizzing around our yard, possibly taking out windows or cracking a few skulls in the process. I’ll have to issue some warnings, before I allow these little gadgets to be unleashed on the old homestead.

Ricky had also brought home a didjeridu. It’s an aboriginal musical instrument, which he became familiar with while he was traveling. Although he didn’t share the details with us, it appeared he had learned how to play it, somewhere along the line. He admitted he wasn’t very good with it and it wasn’t great sounding, but he’d teach anyone who wanted to learn what he knew. A few of the boys seemed interested, especially Cody, so I knew Ricky was going to have at least one student.

Ricky also told them about some of the things he had on video, in particular the moments he knew they’d all appreciate. This included some footage of a short tour he’d taken in the Outback. He told us that experience was kind of wild and freaky, but he was sure that aspect of it would also be apparent when we saw it. He explained to the others that he felt a little like Crocodile Dundee on that leg of his trip, although he didn’t really get near any wild creatures or do anything dangerous. It was just the feeling he had while he was out there. This seemed to intrigue the boys, so they were hardly able to contain themselves, until they got to see the videos for themselves.

Copyright © 2010 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm glad Ricky's back. It just remains to be seen if he's matured during his time away or if he'll remain the Ricky we all know and love :lol:

I know I've said it before, but I love the series.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/27/2012 02:04 AM, Andy78 said:
I'm glad Ricky's back. It just remains to be seen if he's matured during his time away or if he'll remain the Ricky we all know and love :lol:

I know I've said it before, but I love the series.

Thanks, Andy. I'm bald you're still enjoying this. Remember, a leopard can't change its spots. lol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..