Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 3,170 Words
  • 3,206 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel - 6 - 23. Chapter 23 - Many Plans

n Tuesday, Cody had his next appointment with the oncologist and I was anxious to learn how he was doing. After we were called in, one of the staff drew some blood from Cody’s arm and took it to the lab to be analyzed. The oncologist had the ability to do this at his office, where our regular doctor had to use the hospital for such procedures.

We were left sitting in the examination room while the blood was being processed, but twenty minutes passed before the doctor joined us. Unfortunately, he wasn’t smiling when he entered, but I hoped it was merely due to the fact that he was either busy or tired. He shut the door, turned toward us and spoke.

“I’m afraid things aren’t going as well as I’d hoped,” he announced.

“What do you mean?” I asked, while trying to control my urge to panic.

“The reintroduction of Cody’s cells into his system hasn’t worked as I anticipated,” he explained. “From what I can tell, his body isn’t producing new, healthy cells, as we expected. It’s possible his cells weren’t quite as healthy or strong as we had hoped, so they didn’t take hold.”

“Does that mean his body is producing more diseased cells?” I asked, concerned.

“No, not that I can detect,” he told me. “However, we have to find a way to get his body producing the healthy cells again, and in order to do that, it looks like we’ll need an outside donor.”

“That’s not a problem,” I told him. “My family has been begging to be tested, to see if they could donate cells to Cody, so all you’ll have to do is tell us where to go and when.”

“I’m pleased to know they are so eager,” he replied, “but Cody is not biologically related to any of the family, is he?”

“No. Is that a problem?” I wondered.

“Not a problem, exactly, but when the patient’s own cells don’t take, we’d prefer to use someone biologically connected to the patient,” he explained. “There’s a better chance of them taking that way.”

I wanted to be honest and speak openly with the doctor, but Cody was in the room, so I didn’t say what I’d planned. I wanted to spare Cody from having to listen to me explain that he had no living relatives and the various circumstances surrounding his life. After thinking about this some more, I whispered to the oncologist.

“I think we should speak in private about this, doctor.” Regrettably, Cody overheard my comment.

“No way,” he blurted out. “This is about me and I have a right to hear what’s going on.” He had this very determined look on his face as he said this.

“Cody,” I began, as I tried to smooth his ruffled feathers, “sometimes it’s better if we don’t have to relive some of the bad parts of our life. I just wanted to spare you from having to go through that.”

“You mean because my mother’s dead and I still don’t know who my father is?” he shot back. The harshness with which he stated this shocked me, but he was correct.

“Yes, that’s partly it,” I admitted. “I know discussing things of this nature can bring back many unpleasant memories and create anxiety.”

“I don’t care,” Cody declared. “I want to be here, so I can listen to what’s going on.”

“Are you sure about this?” I asked. I was still hoping he’d change his mind, because I didn’t want him to feel worse than he already did. However, after noting his look of determination, I had to concede he wasn’t about to give in on this one.

“Yes, Dad, I’m sure,” he announced. He was smiling broadly at me now and I knew it was because he had just called me dad. I’m not sure if he did this for the doctor’s benefit or if he thought it would be an incentive to get me to do what he wanted.

“Okay, if you’re so determined, you might as well listen in,” I told him, in resignation. Then I turned toward the doctor and continued. “Cody’s mother passed away, and as far as I know, she didn’t know for certain who Cody’s father was.”

“That’s not right,” Cody interrupted. “She told me it was one of two guys, she just didn’t know which one. She gave me their names, in case I ever wanted to look them up.”

“Do you have those names?” the doctor asked.

“Yes. I keep the paper with their names on it with my other things,” he explained.

“Do you think we could try to find them, to see if one of them is a match?” the doctor asked. “That would actually be Cody’s best chance of beating this.”

“If it will help Cody get better, I’d fly to the moon to find them,” I concurred. Hearing me say this, Cody gave me the most loving look you could ever imagine. I think it was because he knew I’d do just about anything, if it would help him get better.

“Good,” the oncologist replied, breaking the momentary connection Cody and I had established. It also caused us to look back at the doctor. “I’ll need them located and tested as soon as possible, to see if either is a match.”

“And what if they’re not?” I asked.

“In that case, we’ll test your family,” he informed me. “If none of them is a match, then we’ll search the National Marrow Donor Program registry.”

“Can’t you test us now, just to save time, in case we aren’t able to locate them,” I pressed. “I didn’t want to waste valuable time later and jeopardize his chance for recovery, if that is the case.”

“Yes, that probably would be prudent,” he agreed. “I’ll have my receptionist set up appointments for anyone who wants to be tested. We’ll schedule the procedure to be done in two days, if that’s all right with you. Just tell her the names and ages of those you wish to include.”

“Do the boys have to be a minimum age to donate?” I asked, since I was afraid there might be.

“They would need to be at least 18, if they wanted to be part of the national registry,” he stated, and I started to become discouraged. “However, younger donors have been used when they were related to the patient. Even though your boys are not blood relatives, I’d be willing to make sure they’re all tested and use any of them who are willing.” My spirits suddenly soared again.

“That’s fantastic news, and I’m fairly positive the boys will be eager to help,” I informed him. “I think the younger ones would have felt slighted and left out, if they couldn’t at least be tested.”

“Then we’ll make sure everyone who wants to be tested is,” he reaffirmed. “Do you know how many of these tests we’ll need to arrange for then?”

“I’m not sure yet, at least not until I ask the boys when I get home,” I replied. “I would suspect they would all want to be included, but I’ll go home and ask them, just to be certain. Once I have a firm number, I’ll call back and let your receptionist know. As I said, I’m pretty sure it will be most, if not all of them. Is there anything else you’ll need from us or anything else we should do?”

“That’s it for now, but I’ll also forward Cody’s file to the National Donor Registry, to see if they can come up with a donor match,” he added. “We might as well get that started too, just to be on the safe side. That way we’ll have an option, in case no one in the family matches.”

“That’s great and I promise to get back to you shortly about the number of my boys who wish to be tested,” I confirmed. “I appreciate everything you’re doing for Cody, Doctor, and thank you for all of your help.”

Although I was hoping for better and more definitive news about Cody’s condition, I was satisfied the oncologist was doing everything he could. Now that these issues were settled, we thanked the doctor and went out to pay the bill. I told the receptionist I’d call her back shortly, to let her know how many appointments would be needed. I figured I could bring the college boys back later, if it proved to be necessary. Once everything was completed, I guided Cody out to the car and drove home.

As soon as we got back, I urged Cody to bring me the paper with the two names on it. I wanted to get started trying to find his father as quickly as was humanly possible. That was enough to motivate Cody to race up to his room, well he went as quickly as he could, and he soon returned holding a yellowed and crumpled piece of paper. As he handed it to me, he spoke.

“I already know that neither of these men is very nice, so you don’t have to worry about saying anything that might hurt my feelings,” he confessed, although he looked slightly embarrassed that he’d had to reveal this information.

“Cody, who they are, or were, has nothing to do with who you are now,” I explained. “You are one of the finest young men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, and just because one of your parents might not have been the most upstanding citizens around, it certainly is no reflection on you. You have nothing to prove and nothing to be ashamed of.”

“Thanks, Dad. I appreciate you saying that,” he told me and I could see he was glad I felt this way. “The other boys have all told me you’re great when they need you most, so I sure am glad I got to come here to live.”

“Hey, I’m only taking care of my boys, the way a father should do,” I reasoned, “and they’re the finest group of young men a guy could ever hope to call his sons. Now, why don’t you go do something fun, while I make some calls to see if we can locate these two fellows.” He smiled, hugged me and gave me a peck on the cheek, before he went off to find something to do.

As I glanced at the two names on the paper, I began to appreciate the fact that Cody’s mother had been smart enough to do this for him. It certainly saved us a lot of time and effort, but seeing the names also made me wonder which had been her pimp and who had been the John. I guess it didn’t really matter, but if one of the two had to be his father, I was hoping it was the John. Maybe he was a nice guy in real life and was just unlucky at love. Maybe he just needed a sexual outlet from time to time, without the emotional bonds of a relationship.

I felt even more strongly about this because I knew the other was not only a pimp, but also a drug pusher to boot. I certainly didn’t want Cody to have to bear that burden now too. However, I guess we’ll have to cross that bridge when we come to it too.

Being uncertain as to how to go about finding these two men, I contacted my best friend and legal advisor, Steve Shay. I described the situation and asked for his advice as to what my next move should be. He quickly explained he had a private investigator he used from time to time and gave me the guy’s name and phone number. He told me to get in touch with him and say Steve had referred me. I thanked him profusely, because I was once more in his debt. He continually came to my assistance, whenever I needed him, and you just can’t replace that type of friend.

Once I was alone, I called the private investigator. He picked up the phone on the third ring.

“John Stokes Investigations,” the voice answered.

“Hi, Mr. Stokes. My name is Josh Currie and Judge Steven Shay referred me to you,” I informed him.

“Ah, yes, Steve. He’s a good man and an even better client,” he quipped. “Do you know him well?’

“Yes, he’s my best friend,” I confided. “We have been close for a very long time and he’s also honorary Uncle to all my boys.”

“All your boys? I take it you have a large family then?” he responded.

“You might say that and I’m calling you because I need your assistance to help one of them.” I went on to explain the situation, by telling him about Cody’s illness and emphasizing the urgency in finding the two gentlemen in question. I also gave him information about myself and explained how this was going to affect the entire family. He listened carefully and then spoke.

“What information do you have, to help me find these guys?” he wanted to know.

“The boy’s mother left him a piece of paper, giving him their full names, nicknames and a third item, which I assume to be their date of birth,” I replied. “I hope this information is sufficient and accurate, but I can’t vouch for it.”

“Well, let me copy it down and then I’ll do some preliminary investigative work,” he agreed. “Before you hang up, I’ll try to give you an idea about the chances of my being successful in locating them. Did Steve also explain to you how I bill my clients?”

“Yes, and that’s perfectly fine with me,” I agreed. “I’ll even pay you a bonus, if you can locate them quickly.”

“Then I’ll start as soon as we hang up,” he quipped, “but before I do, you have to realize this might not be easy. I’ll begin by seeing if they have any criminal history and I’ll also try to determine if they’ve paid taxes anytime during the past ten years. Either of these sources would give me their last known address and social security number.

“If I can’t locate them that way, then I’ll check drivers’ records, beginning with their last known state of residency. If that is unsuccessful, I’ll spread my search out to adjoining states, until I find something. I will also check the Internet and scan the phone listings and such, and hopefully one of those searches will do the trick. If not, I’ll resort to plan B, but I’ll be in touch with you, just as soon as I learn anything.”

I thanked him, hung up and then just sat and wondered how long this was going to take. Cody couldn’t afford for it to be a lengthy and dragged out process, so I hoped my offer of a bonus would encourage the P.I. to come up with results in a timely manner.

I had already explained everything to Jake earlier and told him I wanted to have a meeting with the other boys, without Cody being around. I didn’t want his presence to pressure them into making a decision they might not be comfortable with. Jake then suggested he’d take Cody out alone for a while, so the two of them could spend a little quality time together. That would give me the opportunity I needed to explain everything to the boys at home.

Jake was emphatic and very sincere when he told me to make sure I included him in on the list of those to be tested. I knew this meant a great deal to him, as well, since he had become fond of Cody too. Before he left, Jake said he’d take Cody to the mall, to distract him, and he’d allow him to select a ‘welcome to the family’ gift, from him. I told him that was an excellent idea and I suspected Cody wouldn’t catch on to what we were up to.

After Jake and Cody left, I called the boys together for the meeting. I filled them in briefly about trying to locate Cody’s father, but just in case, we would go ahead with having everyone tested that wanted to be tested too. Once they understood, I filled them in about the testing procedures that would be used to determine compatibility. I was careful to let them know everything it entailed, so they could make an informed decision. I wanted to make certain they understood every detail completely, before they committed to anything. Once I felt they were aware of what they were facing, I asked them to let me know if they might be willing to do this for their newest brother.

I didn’t have to wait long for the answer to that question, as everyone began to shout various positive responses, such as “I do,” “Include me,” and “Me too.” Even though I had expected this sort of response, I didn’t expect them to react so quickly or make such an unconditional show of support. It was really a joy to witness and made me even prouder of each and every one of them.

When we finished our little meeting, I phoned the doctor’s office, to let them know how many had volunteered to be tested. I think they were quite amazed that everyone had agreed, but quickly emphasized it should increase the chances that one of us might be a match. The receptionist explained she’d call the hospital lab to make sure they could handle this many and would then call me back to let me know how many of us they could handle and the times we should be there.

Once that was settled, she told me the doctor had mentioned that he wished all of his patients had this kind of support, but admitted too many had to go through things like this alone or with minimal family support. Although I knew in my mind it was true, my heart ached for all those who found themselves in such a situation.

When I’d finished my conversation, I phoned the boys in college, to let them know what was going on too. It also gave me an opportunity to see if they might want to get tested as well, since I didn’t want them to feel left out of this opportunity.

After each of them informed me they wished to be included too, I told them to contact the local Red Cross unit in their area, to see what they’d need to do to be tested. I informed them they’d probably have to set it up to be tested for the national registry, but that would also make them available to Cody as well, since the registry would be searching for a match for him too. This way they might be able to donate to Cody, without having to miss classes and come home to do it.

Copyright © 2010 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I want to say thank you for including the information about Cody and what he's going through for a cure or even a very long period of remission. I'm proud of the brothers all saying that they wanted to be tested if it meant that Cody could get better soon and not die like Brent did even though it would be different for each of them, one as a result of an accident and the other from disease. I'm also proud of Jake by saying that he wanted to be included in the list of those who wanted to be tested. I truly believe that if everyone who is able to give something to someone who has a need for it then I feel like they would want to give what they can as long as they're alive. Organ donation as well as bone marrow donation is something I believe in very strongly as my son is a recipient of a kidney thanks to my sister who made a promise to him and kept that promise even if she had to fight with a doctor who wanted to stop the process for a second time for an issue that had been resolved prior to being allowed to go ahead with the surgery. I for one can never repay her for saving my son's life when it came down to either get a transplant or be dead by the end of the year. She stepped in and basically got the process started in order for her to donate a kidney for him and he's done very well as this year was a 12 year anniversary of the donation and we were told when he was being tested that the average on a kidney is 10 years, he's surpassed that and is doing well. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well it's best from a close relative and I highly doubt that they can find the biological father. I just know your gonna kill off another character Bill.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Lizzydolphin37 said:

Well it's best from a close relative and I highly doubt that they can find the biological father. I just know your gonna kill off another character Bill.

If it happens, it won't be me - it will be the illness. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..