Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 3,955 Words
  • 3,335 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel - 8 - 31. Chapter 31 - Setting A Trap

I hadn’t had an opportunity to determine what approach I was going to take to get Sammy out of this fix, but a couple of ideas were beginning to form in my head. I was trying to flesh these possibilities out, into something more substantial, when Andrew’s neurologist returned.

The doctor quickly informed me that he had checked the results from all of Andrew’s tests and couldn’t see anything we needed to be overly concerned about. He explained that as soon as the pressure on Andrew’s brain had been dealt with, it wouldn’t be long before he regained consciousness. The doctor also told me that he and Andrew’s ER doctor had agreed to have Andrew admitted and transferred to a room where he would stay until he got better and was discharged. The doctor added that an orderly should be arriving shortly, to move him, just so we’d be prepared. After thanking him again, he walked out of the room and Jesse and I just sat and watched Andrew again.

By the time Jake arrived, I had made up my mind concerning what I needed to do about Sammy’s situation. I left Jake with Jesse and went out to sit in the Yukon, so I could call Captain De Luca from the State Police. He had helped us before, when Vinnie was missing, so I hoped he could be of assistance once more. After apologizing for bothering him on the weekend, I quickly explained Sammy’s situation to him. Once he had all the facts, he began to ask me a few questions, so he could gain a better insight about what was happening.

“So these boys are going to force your son to have intercourse?” he asked.

“More or less,” I explained. “They are telling him he has to have sex with this girl to prove he’s not gay.”

“Are there any witnesses to any of these conversions?” Captain DeLuca followed.

“Not on my son’s behalf,” I advised him. “It’s been just him and this group of boys, every time this was discussed.”

“That’s not good. We should have some corroboration of these facts before we act,” he explained.

“Couldn’t you put a wire or something on him?” I blurted out, in hope of being able to get the verification he needed that way.

“We could, but if they forced your son to undress, it would be spotted immediately. If that happened, who knows what additional problems it might cause him,” he replied. “Where is this to take place?”

“In the woods near the athletic fields at school,” I responded.

“Are there any buildings nearby?” he wanted to know.

“Yes, there’s a storage shed there, which has a second story that is used as a press box for the games,” I told him.

“Would it be possible for us to get in there, providing those boys don’t attempt to get inside the building?” he followed.

“That would not be a problem,” I informed him. “I could get you any keys you need.”

“Great, then this is what we’ll do,” he began, before laying out what he had planned. I agreed to everything he suggested and made arrangements to meet with him the following morning. Since that was settled, I returned to Andrew’s room, to sit with my injured son. At least now I felt I could take care of him without letting his brother down.

When I got back to the ER, I discovered they had moved Andrew to his own room. I went to the nurses’ station to inquire where he had been taken and one of the women gave me directions on how to get there. After finding my way to his new location, I saw that Jake and Jesse were already inside with him. Jake was sitting in a chair next to Andrew’s bed, with his back toward the door and Jesse was sitting on Jake’s lap. Jake was talking to Andrew’s unconscious form, but would occasionally make a comment to Jesse too, so I went unnoticed. It was a very endearing site, seeing Jake interact with Andrew and Jesse in this way, so I stood there for a few more minutes, just watching what happened.

Eventually, I walked up behind the chair and wrapped my arms around both of them, before kissing my two men softly on the top of their heads. This startled both Jake and Jesse, since they hadn’t seen or heard me enter, and Jake jerked around to see who was there. It made me chuckle.

“Oh, Josh, it’s you,” he exclaimed.

“Were you expecting someone else?” I teased.

“No, of course not, but I didn’t think you’d be back this quickly,” Jake confessed, before releasing a nervous little giggle.

“You sure you weren’t expecting some nurse or an orderly to drop by?” I continued, which drew a shocked look upon his face.

“Jesse, has Jake been fooling around with the people who work here?” I joked, which drew a surprised reaction from Jesse as well. After he regained his wits, Jesse shook his head violently, giving me his response.

“Never!” Jake shot back quickly. “You are all I need,” he added, as he gave me a wink. “Well, you and the boys,” he corrected, as he squeezed Jesse and then glanced at Andrew lying on the bed.

“That must be why I love you so damn much,” I replied.

Ashamedly, I had to admit that I’ve been a little lax verbalizing my love for him, but I knew he understood how important he was to me. Having said that, I pulled up a chair and sat next to him, and we all reached out to touch Andrew. We did this to let him know we were there for him, but we also hoped it might serve to speed his recovery. As we let our thoughts turn back to our youngest – I mean next to youngest, since Jesse is now the baby of the family – we all said a silent prayer that he would be back with us again before long.

We just sat there and didn’t say very much, as we stroked Andrew’s arms and legs, but we remained hopeful these gestures would somehow help to bring him back to us. We knew only time would tell if it worked, but continued to believe that if he realized we were there and understood how much we loved him, it would give him a little boost, so he’d fight harder to regain consciousness. I was concentrating on Andrew and trying to will him to get better, when my stomach growled. That reminded me it had been a long time since any of us had eaten. I looked at Jesse and Jake, before I spoke.

“Jake, why don’t you take Jesse to the cafeteria and get both of you something to eat,” I advised him. This immediately caused Jesse to shake his head, as he pointed to Andrew. I knew this meant he wanted to stay with him instead.

“Jesse, you won’t do him any good sitting here starving yourself,” I told him, “and I don’t want to have to put you in a hospital bed too, just because you aren’t eating.” He gave me a disgusted look and then pointed at me. It was his sign that he wanted to know when I’d be eating.

“I’ll go get something after you two get back, or Jake can just bring something back for me when he returns.” I could tell the wheels were spinning in Jesse’s head, before he pointed at Jake and then the two of us.

“Oh, so you want Jake to go alone and bring something back for both of us?” I asked, rhetorically, since I already knew that’s what he wanted. However, Jesse nodded his head energetically, to let me know it was indeed what he expected. I looked at Jake, to gauge his reaction.

“I can do that,” he informed us, almost on cue.

“Jake, you don’t have to,” I told him. “We can go after you get back. I just don’t want Andrew to be left alone.”

“No, it’s not a problem,” Jake assured us. “I’ll get something for all of us and bring it back to the room. Then we can eat here together.”

Jesse immediately liked that idea and began nodding his head vigorously, so Jake asked us what we wanted and then left. I sat down next to Andrew’s bed again and Jesse weaseled his way onto my lap. I have to admit, he is one loveable little bugger.

While I waited for Jake to return with the food, the doctor stopped by to check on my little man again. He quickly informed me he was going to have Andrew taken down for more tests shortly, because he wanted to see if his condition had changed any. I thanked him for his help, asked him how soon before that would happened and then we discussed our options – which depended upon what he discovered. The doctor was just getting ready to leave when Jake returned, carrying three boldly marked bags. Looking at Jake, and then down at my boys, just helped to remind me what a lucky guy I was.

Recognizing the bags Jake was carrying, the doctor made some comment about the hospital food being bad for our health, so I told him he’d better get Andrew better soon, so we wouldn’t have to eat it any longer. He nodded and grinned, knowing I got him back when he was trying to zing us. After he left, the rest of us sat down to eat.

I had told Jake he knew what I liked, so he should just surprise me with something, and he did. He came back with today’s special for both of us, which was a BBQ beef sandwich with fries, dessert and coffee, while Jesse had opted for a cheeseburger, fries, cake and a soda. The meal did what we needed, which was to fill our stomachs so they’d stop rumbling, and it wasn’t as bad as I had anticipated. Once we finished eating, we tossed our garbage away and then continued our vigil.

We had been sitting by Andrew’s bedside for about another half-hour when an orderly wheeled a gurney into the room, so he could take Andrew away for his tests. I recognized the worried look on Jesse’s face when he saw the hospital attendant, so I quickly reminded him that the doctor had informed us he was going to have this done, to see if Andrew was doing any better. Those words seemed to comfort Jesse and he seemed to relax, so I took that opportunity to ask the orderly how long Andrew would be away. He informed me the doctor had ordered several tests to be done and they would probably take a couple of hours to complete. That meant Andrew wouldn’t be getting back to his room until very late, so I told Jake to take Jesse home until morning.

Jesse didn’t want to go and immediately started to protest, but I explained to him that even if he stayed, he wouldn’t be allowed to go with Andrew. I assured him that even I wasn’t going to be able to stay with Andrew during these tests, so he signaled to me that he wanted to know why I was staying then. I told him I wanted to be here just in case the doctors needed my permission to do anything more for Andrew, so I didn’t cause any needless delays in his care.

I guess that made sense to Jesse, so after several minutes of reasoning with my ten-year old, he finally started to relent. I still had to promise I’d call to let him know when Andrew was brought back to his room and advise him how things went. Jesse and Jake stayed long enough to watch Andrew being wheeled away and then I kissed both and said I’d see them again in the morning.

This prompted Jake to ask if he should bring the other boys back with him, when he returned tomorrow, because he assumed I’d be spending the night here. He then advised me he was certain the rest of the family would want to see Andrew too, because they had told him as much earlier. I agreed he was probably right, but after thinking about it a little longer, I told Jake it might be best if they didn’t see Andrew just yet. I thought we should hold them off until Andrew regained consciousness, so the situation wouldn’t seem quite as bleak to them. I didn’t want any of the others fretting about Andrew’s condition, since I knew it might also draw similarities to what Cody had gone through, so I thought ‘out of sight, out of mind’ might work best in this case.

This didn’t mean I suspected the boys wouldn’t worry about Andrew, but this way they might not become consumed with darker thoughts about how he was doing. If they didn’t see him lying in his bed and looking so damn helpless, they might not worry as much. Besides, if they waited, it would also allow Andrew to appreciate them being here. Jake seemed to understand my logic, even if he wasn’t totally convinced it was the right way to handle the situation. He also agreed not to mention any details about Andrew’s situation to the others. He went on to say he would find a way to convince them it would be best to let Andrew rest and not get too excited, should any of them mention wanting to visit. I thanked him and then he grabbed Jesse’s hand and turned to leave.

As I had been told, Andrew didn’t return for a little over two hours. While I waited, I watched some programs on the television in Andrew’s room. Nothing really interested me, but it did help to pass the time. I was in the middle of watching another inane show when Andrew was wheeled in and placed on his bed. He was still unconscious, but I expected I would soon learn if there were any changes in his condition. After the orderly left, I instinctively began to fuss over Andrew. I fluffed his pillow, tucked the sheet around him and straightened his hair. As I did this, I also noted how truly handsome he was and prayed his injuries weren’t serious or irreversible.

It was about this time when I remembered my promise to Jesse, so I left the room and hustled to the payphones, so I could call home. Dion answered, so I talked briefly with him, before I asked to speak with Jake and Jesse. I heard Dion call for them, rather crudely at that, so I made a mental note to speak with him about his telephone manners when I get home.

When Jake came to the phone, I advised him Andrew was back in his room, but his condition was unchanged and I hadn’t seen the doctor yet. Jake then handed the phone to Jesse, who had been pestering Jake to let him speak, well listen, to what I had to say too. He wanted to hear the news firsthand and not have to wait for Jake to relay it. Once he had been advised of nearly everything I told Jake, I asked him to give the phone back to my lover, so I could say goodnight and let him know I’d see him in the morning.

I went on to explain I would be returning home early, so I could shower and change before I met with Captain De Luca. Jake said he’d fix me something special for breakfast, which I thought was really sweet. Jake also told me he’d go to the hospital and sit with Andrew, while I handled Sammy’s situation, so I thanked him for being so thoughtful and supportive. After I did that, I advised him I’d show him how much I appreciated him, once we were alone. He responded he could hardly wait, before he hung up.

After that, I went back and sat beside Andrew’s bed. I began fussing over him some more, yet my thoughts were consumed with the seriousness of his condition. I wished the doctor would return and let me know what he’d discovered, while I did my best to control my unbridled imagination. I wasn’t totally successful in doing this and another thought crossed my mind. What if Andrew lived, but remained in this coma for an extended period of time? Even more frightening, what if he was left permanently brain damaged from the accident? Would either of those possibilities be any less difficult to bear than having him die?

I didn’t know how to stop considering these horrific possibilities, but then realized there might be one way I could solve this dilemma. I considered calling home again, so I could ask Jake to bring Graham to the hospital. I felt he would be able to tell me if he saw any shadows around Andrew’s body, which would either confirm or dismiss my concerns. After thinking about it for several more minutes, I decided not to go that route, for a couple of reasons. First, I wasn’t sure I could deal with the knowledge, if the news was bad. I was afraid if I learned something terrible was going to happen to Andrew, it might cause me to break down and become a basket case, which would mean I wouldn’t be any good to anyone. Andrew wasn’t the only one who needed me and such knowledge could also place Sammy’s welfare in jeopardy. I felt it was imperative to be strong for Sammy too, and not just be there for Andrew. Second, I was worried what it might do to Graham, if he discerned more shadows. He has always been deeply troubled by his gift, so since Andrew and he also had a special bond, having to foretell such things about Andrew might psychologically damage Graham too. Therefore, I opted not to pursue that option.

All of these terrible thoughts were still playing in my mind when I decided I’d better try to get some sleep. With that in mind, I adjusted the reclining chair the nurse had placed in the room and got comfortable. It wasn’t very comfortable, so it took a while for me to drift off and I woke up several times during the evening. This usually happened when the nurses came in to check on Andrew, but I did manage to get a little sleep. However, my overnight stay with Andrew also dredged up painful memories of the nights I had spent in Sloan-Kettering with Cody, which caused me to pray I would never have to endure that type of misery again.

In the morning, I left for home, as I told Jake I would. When I arrived, Jake had everything ready to prepare my breakfast, but advised me to shower first and then I could eat, as soon as I was done. I thought that was an excellent idea, so it’s exactly what I did. Once I got out of the shower, I threw on some clothes and went into the dining room, where Jake had everything laid out for me. I ate in kind of a hurry, seeing I had an appointment to keep, but I thoroughly enjoyed what he had prepared. After wiping my mouth, I gave Jake a kiss and headed out the door. Luckily, Jesse wasn’t up yet, because I would have bet he wouldn’t have wanted me to leave the house alone, no matter where I said I was going.

I did wake Sammy up before I left, so I could advise him about the plan to deal with his tormentors. I needed him to be aware of what he was going to be expected to do and how he should act, to pull it off successfully. Sammy was a little concerned about some of the things I told him, but understood it would have to be done this way, if we were going to end this situation once and for all. I kissed him on the forehead and then assured him he’d do fine. Before I left, I also told him his problems would be over by this evening. He thanked me and told me to give Andrew a kiss from him, before I took off.

I met Captain De Luca at my office and secured the keys he needed, before I advised him of my intentions. “I’m coming with you,” I stated, succinctly.

“That wouldn’t be wise,” he replied. “You might compromise the stakeout.”

“Look, I’m going to be there to protect my son from those punks, even if I have to use my own vehicle to do so.” De Luca gave me a stern look.

“Josh, you’re too smart to do something like that,” he countered. “Please, don’t ruin our chances to nail these little bastards.” I saw the logic in his argument, but I was feeling extremely protective and knew I wouldn’t be able to stay away.

“I just need to be there,” I repeated, while almost sounding like a spoiled brat. I felt bad about it, but I couldn’t just walk away.

“Okay, I’ll let you sit in the surveillance van,” he informed me. “Everything will be monitored through there and recorded. You’ll be able to see and hear nearly everything that goes on, but we can’t risk you being seen. Is that clear?” he asked, one more time, before I agreed to his plan.

“Yes, I understand,” I assured him, since I didn’t dare push him harder.

I rode with him to the State Police barracks, where he put me in the surveillance van, before we drove to the meeting site. It was still an hour before Sammy was to arrive, but about now he was probably getting out his bike to make his way here. We were getting there early, because Captain De Luca didn’t want to take any chances that the boys might arrive ahead of schedule and notice our preparations. His men had everything ready with a half-hour to spare, so we had to sit patiently until they arrived.

It turned out that it was a good thing we had prepared so far in advance, because the whole group came together and showed up about twenty minutes early. They parked their car in the lot and then walked toward the storage shed. It’s a good thing it was a windowless building and the stairs to the press box were on the inside, or those punks might have seen enough to suspect something.

They spent some of their time walking around the building, which they did twice, and none of us were sure what they were up to. That’s when one of them ran back to the car and returned carrying a short crowbar. He then began to try to pry the door to the storage shed open. We all panicked when he did this, and once the people inside the shed figured out what they were up to, they hurried up the stairs to the press box, so they’d be out of sight. They all crowded into that confined space and locked the door behind them, just in case the kids got in on the lower level. Fortunately, that didn’t happen, but they did do some major damage to the door.

After giving up on their attempt to break into the storage shed, they moved over and stood in the shadow of the trees that lined the area. They stayed there until Sammy arrived. Once he pedaled up, things began to happen very quickly.

Copyright © 2010 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..