Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 3,555 Words
  • 3,240 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel - 8 - 15. Chapter 15 - Uneasy Moments

After dinner, the four of us met in the family room and closed the door behind us, before we sat down to talk. Jake spoke first.

“I’m deeply concerned about what’s happened and the different things Nick has picked up while he was away,” he began. “What concerns me most is the fact that he may have contracted more than just those two diseases and we won’t know what else he has been exposed to until it is too late.”

Jake paused to look at all of us, so he could gauge our reactions. Shannon and I were looking at him, but Nick had hung his head, so he was looking at the floor. After a few seconds with no one saying a word, Jake spoke again.

“I think it would be best if the two of you stopped going together,” he added, which caused Shannon’s mouth to drop open and Nick’s head to snap upward.

“You can’t do that,” Shannon protested. “I’m old enough to make my own decisions now.”

“I understand that,” Jake conceded, “but I’m hoping you will listen to me on this matter and protect yourself by ending your relationship with Nick. He can’t seem to confine his sexual exploits to just one partner, and in doing so, he is exposing you to all the same risks, not just himself. That’s why I think it’s best if you two break up.”

“I won’t do it,” Shannon snapped back. “I love Nick and I won’t give him up, for you or anyone else.”

Jake looked upset and crushed by Shannon’s reaction. I think he actually assumed his son would just do as he asked. Even though I had warned him about making an ultimatum, he had basically done it anyway. Now, I was afraid about how he might react to the repercussions arising from his demands.

“Uncle Jake,” Nick uttered, breaking my train of thought. “I’m sorry about all of this and I know I’ve been really foolish, but I’ve learned an awful lot because of it too. I’ve learned that I really love Shannon and I don’t want to lose him.” Although Jake seemed to be moved by Nick’s sincerity, it didn’t look as if he was about to budge from his position.

“That’s nice,” Jake responded, “and you probably do think that, but you have to look at the whole picture. Even though you both think you love each other, you can’t seem to confine your sexual activities to just one person and are putting everyone you come in contact with at risk. That’s all right if you want to do it to yourself, but you have no right to put others at risk too, especially someone you claim to love.”

I could tell Shannon was forming a response to his father’s comments and getting ready to say something, but Nick spoke first.

“You’re right,” he admitted, “but I won’t put him at risk any more.” I think all of our mouths dropped open simultaneously. We were all unable to believe that Nick would break up with Shannon that easily. We were all too dumbfounded to respond, but we didn’t need to, as Nick continued.

“I never thought I could commit myself to only one person, but having seen what can happen and realizing what a fool I’ve been, I’m ready to do just that,” he announced. “If you will allow me, I promise I will love Shannon, and only Shannon, from now on.”

Nick paused to look at both Shannon and Jake after saying this, and then he continued. “Will you both give me a chance to prove to you I can do just that?”

Talk about it being so quiet you could hear a pin drop. We all sat speechless. Well, I take that back. It wasn’t that quiet. I could hear my heart pounding in my chest and it seemed so loud that I thought everyone else was probably able to hear it too. As I was pondering this thought, Shannon regained his composure and spoke.

“Do you really mean that?” he asked Nick. It seemed he still wasn’t certain Nick could live up to this particular promise.

“Yes. Absolutely,” Nick told him, while looking him straight in the eye. After a few, brief seconds, he turned toward Jake.

“Uncle Jake, I really do mean what I say this time,” he insisted. “Even though I’ve been a fool up to now, I don’t want to lose Shannon. I love him and I know he loves me too, so I’m more than willing to change, just to keep his love.” Jake still seemed a bit startled, but finally responded.

“How can you say that?” he wondered, aloud. “You’ve never been able to contain your sexual appetite before, so what makes you think you can do it now?”

“Because now I realize how wrong and foolish I’ve been and I have more to lose now than I did before,” he added, while looking at Shannon as he made his last comment.

“Please trust me,” he continued, “and I’ll prove it to you. I also promise we won’t have sex for another month and after that, when we do, it will always be protected. Will that convince you to let us stay together?” Again, Jake didn’t respond immediately.

“Please, Dad,” Shannon begged, putting even more pressure on Jake to give in.

“I’ll need some time to think about this,” Jake informed them both. “I’m not saying no,” he added, “but I do need more time to think it over.”

Both boys seemed satisfied that he’d at least given in that much, so they didn’t push him further. Instead, they went back to their room and left Jake and I alone.

“Josh, I know what he said, but I just don’t believe him,” Jake told me. “He just has too much history as a guy with hot pants, so I can’t see him cooling off and confining his activities to just Shannon.”

Jake looked at me and I guess my facial expression told him I wasn’t in full agreement with him. That, I believe, is what made him ask me his next question. “What do you think, Josh?”

I swallowed hard and tried to mentally form my response, so it would come out as I wished. Once I felt I was ready to tell him what I thought, I took his hand and looked him in his eyes.

“A year ago, or even six months ago, I might have agreed with you about Nick,” I told him, “but having gone through this with him, seen his reactions and listened to the comments he’s made about everything that’s happened, I really believe he’s growing up and changing the way he thinks. I can’t tell you specifically why I feel this way or point to any one item to support my position, but he’s just not the same young man now.” Jake studied me carefully, while mulling over what I had said. Carefully, he formed his next query.

“Isn’t there anything you can tell me, to show me why you feel this way?” he almost pleaded. “I’m telling you, Josh, I just don’t see it in him.”

“Is that because it isn’t there or due to the fact that you aren’t looking for it? It might also be that you just aren’t allowing yourself to see it.” I replied. Jake recoiled slightly, after hearing my words.

“That’s kind of a low-blow, isn’t it?” he shot back.

“I don’t think so,” I told him, frankly. “You’ve never liked the idea of Shannon and Nick being together, although I must admit you’ve been pretty good about allowing it to continue. However, I now think you see exactly what you want to see in him and figure it’s your chance to end their relationship. Jake, I’m sorry, but I’m not sure you’d actually be willing to admit you saw a change in Nick’s behavior, even if it were obvious.”

“I haven’t seen any change?” Jake barked back at me. “He’s screwed just about everyone he could get his hands on while he was away. I don’t see any change there.”

I could tell Jake was getting very emotional about this topic, so I thought maybe I should tell him something more. There was one bit of information I thought might calm him down.

“Jake, I know that’s how Nick has always been, but look at these facts. We’ve told the boys they couldn’t have sex until this was cleared up and they have BOTH done that. In fact, the other day I went up to talk to Nick and I caught him and Shannon cuddling and making out. They both swore there had been no sex and I believed them, but then Nick told me he never realized how much fun the kissing and hugging could be, even without the sex. For the week he’s been back, he and Shannon have not been intimate, he’s not been with anyone else for sex and he’s been by Shannon’s side nearly every minute possible. I think that shows some change. Don’t you?”

“Okay, maybe he has been a little different since he’s been back, but I’m not sure he can keep it up,” Jake confessed. “I think he will revert back to his old ways eventually and that’s just not good enough.” It appeared as if Jake was going to remain resolute in his stance.

“Jake, I listened to Nick after he learned about his test results and I know how scared he’s been and how badly he feels about putting others at risk. The thing is, up until now he’s suffered from the same fate many young people do. They think they’re invincible and nothing bad can happen to them. However, Nick has discovered that’s not true, at least in his case, and he’s really scared that something worse might happen. Besides, I think he’s finally realized how much he loves your son and how much Shannon loves him, so I truly believe he’s ready to commit to just one person.”

“So you think I should give them my blessing then?” he followed. I wasn’t sure he really wanted my opinion or if he was just asking this rhetorically and using it as a way of working through this situation on his own. Whatever his intent, I felt I had to respond and give him my view on it.

“I think you at least owe him the chance to try to prove himself to both you AND Shannon. As long as they use protection, Shannon will be safe, but I think he deserves a chance.” Jake didn’t say anything for a few seconds, but eventually he did respond.

“I think I’ll need some more time to think about all of this,” he finally admitted. “You’ve given me a lot to consider and I do know what Shannon wants and that he’s committed to Nick. I don’t want to break my son’s heart, but I don’t want to expose him to any unnecessary risks either. I think I need to go for another walk, so I can think this through,” he acknowledged.

“Would you like some company?” I asked.

“No, I think I need to do this alone,” he replied.

I respected his request and didn’t try to lay a guilt trip on him about letting me go. Jake turned and headed for the door and I watched him slowly make his way from the house and head up the road. It was only a few minutes later when Shannon came back downstairs, looking around.

“Where did my dad go?” he wondered.

“He went for a walk, to think about this situation,” I told him, and Shannon began to look worried.

“Do you think he’s going to be okay about Nick and me being together?” he wanted to know.

“I’m not sure,” I replied, honestly. “He is giving it a lot of thought, but he’s not going to rush into any decision. I think whatever he decides, he’ll do it because he thinks it’s right and in your best interest.”

“I know that, Pop, but I also know I’m not breaking up with Nick, no matter what my dad says,” Shannon confirmed. “I love them both and I don’t want to have to choose between them, but I also won’t let one of them bully me into getting rid of the other. If they don’t like my choices, then they’ll have to either learn to deal with it or make the choice to no longer be part of my life. I won’t be the bad guy here.” I could see a lot of his father in him now and could tell he was going to remain adamant in his stance.

“Well, don’t throw in the towel yet and give your father a chance to come to his own conclusions,” I urged. “I know he’ll do what he considers to be the right thing, whether you agree with him or not.” Shannon merely nodded in response, before he went up to his room again.

Jake didn’t come back right away and a half hour later there was still no sign of him. I began to worry and wonder if something more was wrong, but I decided not to panic. I figured possibly he just needed more time to work things through in his mind, before he was ready to announce his decision.

I was thinking about all of this when someone else approached. I looked up and noticed it was Duck. “If there’s a problem, I can leave,” he stated.

“Oh, no, Duck. I’d never allow that,” I told him. “It’s just that Jake has a problem with Shannon and Nick being together and now he has to make a choice. Either he accepts them as a couple or he might lose his son.”

“Man, I’m so sorry to hear that,” Duck replied, “but if my being here makes matters worse, then I’ll go home and come back some other time.”

“No, your being here makes no difference at all,” I assured him. “We’d be going through the same thing, even if you left. That’s why I want you to stay and enjoy yourself. If you’re going to be part of the family, you’ll see things like this happen from time to time, so maybe you’d better get used to it. The boys and I are happy you are here and I don’t want you to worry about this situation.”

Duck looked relieved, yet still concerned about what was happening. However, he went back to the family room and rejoined the others. I followed him in and spent a few minutes watching what was going on. I was impressed that everyone seemed to be getting along really well and had accepted Duck as part of the family. Well, that is if you can believe minor ribbing and teasing as being accepted into the Currie clan. Eventually, I left them alone and went back to my room.

An hour had passed since Jake had wandered off and I began to grow even more concerned. I was just about ready to go out and look for him, when I noticed him in the distance. He was walking slowly toward the house and seeing that made me realize how difficult this must be for him. I also wondered if he had made his decision.

When he finally reentered the house, he motioned for me to come with him, as he started up the stairs. I followed, as he made his way to Shannon and Nick’s room and knocked on their door. He waited for them to tell him to enter and then we both went in. Shannon and Nick were sitting on the bed and a shocked and worried look came over both of their faces. Jake cleared his throat and then began to speak.

“I’ve given this a lot of thought and listened to what each of you had to say on the matter,” he informed them. “After thinking it through, I’m ready to give you my answer.” I think Nick and Shannon both held their breath, as they waited to hear what he had to say.

“Nick, I know you think I don’t like you, but that’s not true,” he confessed. “I think you’re a very interesting and lovable young man, but reckless in your sexual conduct. I love my son and wish to protect him and keep him from harm, just as any father would want to do, yet I also know he’s old enough to make up his own mind.” Jake paused now, licked his lips and took a deep breath before he continued. I thought both boys might pass out from the uncertainty and suspense, however they both managed to hang in there.

“After a great deal of consideration, I’ve finally decided I’m going to give my blessing to your being together, with one word of warning.” Both boys had begun to jump off the bed to celebrate, until they heard Jake’s last comment. Immediately, they stifled their enthusiasm and waited to see what else he had to say.

“Nick, I’m going to trust you and take you at your word that you’re going to commit yourself to just my son,” he advised him. This caused both boys to breathe a sigh of relief, but that was only momentary.

“However, if I ever learn this isn’t the case, then as far as I’m concerned, you’ll be history,” Jake warned. “Of course, I can’t force Shannon into doing that, but I will do everything I can to put pressure on him to end the relationship at that time. So from now on, my continued support will depend entirely upon your actions and whether you can keep your word.”

At this point, Shannon moved swiftly toward his father, gave him a hug and thanked him for giving the two of them a second chance. Nick gave the pair a little time alone, before he joined them. He looked Jake directly in the eye, before he spoke.

“I will make my promise again, to you, Pop and Shannon that I will be true to my word. I won’t have any other sexual partners and I really mean that,” he added, thinking Jake had not been totally convinced of his sincerity.

“I hope you can do that,” Jake responded, “because I’m going to hold you to it.”

It was obvious there was still a little tension between them, so in an effort to convince Nick he meant what he said, Jake did something else. Jake pulled Nick into the embrace with Shannon and him, to prove he was giving him another chance and his past would not be held against him. Nick’s reaction was immediate and the smile that spread across his face expressed how pleased he was by this gesture. It also let me know that Nick felt his ‘father-in-law’ was finally accepting this relationship.

I slipped out of the room and went downstairs, not only because I thought they needed a few quiet moments together, but I also had company I had been ignoring. Duck was still in the family room, watching a movie. They were quite into it, so I didn’t interrupt and slipped back out of the room. A few minutes later, Duck, Mark, Vinnie and Kevin came out to find me.

“Hey, Josh, aren’t you going to join us?” Duck asked.

“I just didn’t want to bother you boys,” I explained. “You all seemed into watching the movie and I figured I had already missed too much.”

“Then we’ll start it over,” Duck suggested. “It’s a DVD, so it won’t be a big problem. I just hope Jake, Shannon and Nick have worked things out and will watch it with us too,” he added, looking hopeful.

“They have and I think they’ll be coming down soon,” I assured him. “However, I do apologize for not being a more attentive host.”

“That’s not necessary,” Duck stated. “I’m just happy you’ve let me come spend time with you and your family. I’ve really gotten to know the rest of your sons and I’m getting along great with everyone. I think I’m going to enjoy my stay here.”

“I’m glad to hear that and we’re all pleased you were willing to join us,” I replied. “I want you to promise you’ll make yourself at home and let me know if you need anything. Did Kevin and Vinnie show you where you’d be staying?”

“Yes, they did, and it’s very nice, but you didn’t have to go to all of that trouble,” he replied. “I could have just slept on the couch.”

“It’s no trouble at all,” I informed him. “We added the guest room on for occasions like this and I prefer you to have some privacy while you’re here. You may not realize it yet, but once you see this group in action, you’re going to be grateful to have a place you can hide and get away from them.” He let out a little chuckle.

“Awww, come on. They can’t be that bad,” he replied, playfully.

“Oh, you’ll see,” I warned him, “and you’ll be grateful for what little time you can manage to get away from them. Come on, let’s go in and watch that movie.”

Copyright © 2010 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..