Jump to content
    Billy Martin
  • Author
  • 2,178 Words
  • 8,731 Views
  • 26 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Trials and Tribulations - 2. Chapter 2 New Feelings

Is young Andy going to keep his secret and stay in the background, quiet and safe? Or are his new found feelings going to cause him to act?

Chapter 2
New Feelings

I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, and turned to see Gary staring questioningly. I just shrugged and turned back to that blond who had captured my curiosity. I was now on high alert. I finally knew his name, Joseph Matthew Adams. But besides his name, the fact that he was new, and had blond hair, I knew nothing else. Well, I knew he was in my homeroom, too.

Without ever seeing his face, or knowing any other detail about him, I found myself obsessing over him. My mind was racing with all the possibilities, where he was from, why had he moved here, what did he looked like, what were his likes and dislikes, would he like me? Whoa! Where did that come from?

I have got to stop this madness before it goes too far. I need to keep my secret, a secret. From here on out, I have to be careful not to out myself or there would be consequences. Not only would I get hurt, but with my father being so well known, he would be blamed and publicly destroyed for having a gay son. Not good, not good at all!

I really did have a love/hate relationship with this town. I mean when people were hurting, generally everyone rallied behind them with all kinds of help. But, if you cross a moral line, holy hell would descend upon you from every direction, and from everyone. I had no intentions of crossing that line.

I felt a poke in the ribs from somewhere and jumped a little, then looked to my right to see Gary’s eyes looking at me, and then darting towards the front of the room. Turning my head forward I saw Mr. Ison staring at me with a grin on his face. I raised my eye brows.

“Mr. Collins, are you with us today?” He asked.

With everyone turning to look at me, I felt time stop, as I saw the face of an angel. Joseph was looking right at me. I felt a blush coloring my face bright red. Tearing my eyes quickly from his face, I looked back at Mr. Ison.

“Yes sir.” I answered meekly.

I could hear Gary suppressing a laugh, and I quickly glared at him, but I could hear the giggles from others, as they turned back to the front. Yet, one face was still looking at me. As our eyes met, I truly felt butterflies in my stomach.

At that point, I went into full blush mode. I gazed down at my government book to look away, but I quickly looked back up, saw a smile spread across that angelic face, and I flashed him my million-watt smile.

Our attention was drawn back to Mr. Ison, and we both broke eye contact to hear him go on about today’s announcements. Drifting back to my daydreams, I finally had a face to go with the name. Wow! What a face! Wait! Oh my God! Did I just out myself to Joseph? No, what have I done? And I did it on the first day of school no less. I dropped my head to my desk trying to hide my shame.

I heard my name being whispered, “Collins?”

I turned my head to see Gary trying to get my attention.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Nothing” I replied. “I’m just feeling out of it is all.”

He shook his head, and I turned mine back to hide my eyes. I could feel this was not going to be a good day. I already had Timmy frowning at me, Gary wondering what’s up with me, and I think I outed myself to a new boy that I would see at least once every single day in homeroom. If I don’t get a grip soon, I’m going to be in major trouble, or headed to the mental hospital in Danville.

The bell rung ending homeroom, and I could hear all the desks moving as everyone, but me, was getting up to leave. Gary lightly punched me in the shoulder telling me he’d see me later. I looked up, and gave him my best smile.

“See you at lunch, Gary.” I told him.

As I watched him walk towards the door, I noticed Joseph stand up, and start walking towards me. I quickly glanced around and noticed it was only Mr. Ison, Joseph, and myself left in the room. Mr. Ison was busy getting ready for government class, and by the time I turned my attention back to Joseph, he was in front of me reaching out his hand.

“Hi,” he smiled, “everyone calls me Joey.”

I stood, and shook his hand as I looked into his eyes.

“It’s nice to meet you, Joey. I’m Andy.” I replied, smiling back.

Aware that I was still holding his hand, I quickly let go. His smile grew with my reaction, showing off his perfectly lined teeth, with dazzling whiteness. I could feel the blush rising again, as I chuckled, but I was as nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

“So, you’re new to our little town, uh?” I asked him, despite being nervous, and in full blush mode again.

“Yup, we moved in last week, on Frazier Street, in the Upper Bottom,” he said.

Okay I thought, ‘Katie bar the door, for trouble is about to walk in!’ I was puzzled, because I didn’t remember anyone moving in recently. “Did you say Frazier Street?” I asked.

He nodded, and looked down at his feet, like he was embarrassed over something.

He said, “Yeah, Dad got assigned a new church here in town, and we just moved Thursday night.”

Ah, I thought, a preacher’s kid.

“Which church?” I was curious, since I knew most of the pastors here in town from some of the meetings my dad would drag me to.

“The Holy Word of the Lamb, out past Wal-Mart.” He almost sighed.

I could tell he was uncomfortable talking about it, so I changed the subject.

“How do you like it here so far?” I asked.

“It’s really beautiful here.” He answered, as his face seemed to come back to life. He smiled, and then he continued. “I’m just worried I’m going to get run over by one of those coal trucks that seem to be everywhere.” He chuckled.

That kinda hit too close to home, with my grandparents killed in a wreck with a coal truck, but I didn’t want him to know it, “You’ll get used to them.” I forced a smile, and then said, “By the way, I live on Frazier Street too. I live in the two storied red brick house with the two big white columns on the front porch. So welcome to the neighborhood, neighbor!” I grinned.

The room was starting to fill up. Joey looked around and then told me he would be right back, as he walked back to his desk, got his stuff, and took a seat to my left. I filled him in on Mr. Ison, and what he expected from us. The rest of the class was a blur. I honestly couldn’t tell you a word Mr. Ison said. The next thing I knew, the bell rang. Joey and I bumped fists, said we would see each other later, and went in opposite directions.

The rest of the morning was boring and without incident. After third period math, I headed toward the lunch room to find my crew. I hadn’t thought to ask Joey about his schedule. So, I had no idea if we had any more classes together, or even which lunch group he ate in. I got in line hoping this year’s food was going to be better.

Someone yelled, “Move faggot, get the fuck off me!”

Then I felt something slam into me, and something wet spreading down my lower back. I thought, ‘What the hell!’

Turning to see who, or what, had just hit me in the back, I saw Joey turning quickly away from me, slinging everything left off his tray as he did, right into JT. JT’s face reddened, and gave Joey a look of death. He took a step towards Joey; as he did, Joey brought up his food tray up to protect himself. With his left hand, JT knocked the tray out of Joey’s hands, and caught him square on the nose, with a right round house, knocking Joey on his ass, with a thud.

“I told you faggot, to get out of my way. Fairies don’t belong here.” JT growled at him.

That’s the second time JT had called him a faggot in the span of fifteen seconds. I looked down at Joey’s bleeding nose. When I looked back up at JT, he opened his mouth to say more. To this day I have no idea what I was thinking, when I saw him open his mouth, if I was thinking at all. Maybe I was thinking damn the consequences, full speed ahead; because, that’s exactly what I did. I closed that son-of-a-bitch’s mouth before he could speak again; with the hardest uppercut I have ever hit anybody with in my life. JT’s eyes rolled back in his head, as he went down. Damn, that hurt, I thought grabbing my hand.

Then I looked down at him, and pointed a finger at him, and said, “JT, if you ever pull that crap again, they’ll be some slow walking, and some sad singing!” (An old fashion funeral procession) I doubt he heard a word I said.

I turned back to Joey, looked down, and offered my hand to him. He looked up at me, with blood running from his nose.

He looked so small and vulnerable. He was bleeding, and had tears in his eyes. Oh my God, what eyes he had. They stopped me cold. They were such a deep blue that they pulled me in. Then I realized I had stopped breathing

“Thanks” Joey said as I pulled him to his feet.

I stammered, “Its… it…was… I mean it… it was nothing.”

God, where had my voice gone? It was like I couldn’t speak anymore.

Joey was looking around at everyone looking at us, and then he looked down at James Thomas McCray III who everyone called JT, still laying on the ground out cold where he had folded like a house of cards, after I hit him. Joey looked back at me with a smile that made my heart skip a beat.

I took hold of his arm, and pulled him through the crowd that had gathered. I noticed some positive comments, and a few pats on the back as we past, but I also saw a few hard stares coming from some of JT’s buddies.

I looked over at Joey as we cleared the crowd and told him I was taking him to the restroom to get him cleaned up.

He nodded, and said, “Thank you.”

Just then Roger caught up with us, and asked, “What the hell was that all about?”

I quickly explained, as we entered the restroom. I turned on the water, grabbed a bunch of paper towels from the dispensary, soaking a couple, and started wiping Joey’s face, as he turned his head upwards.

Roger expressing his concerned for me said, “You know how JT is Andy. He never forgets shit.”

“I know, I know, Roger. But he was about to hurt Joey bad. I couldn’t just do nothing and walk away!” I paused getting the last of the blood off Joey’s face. “Besides,” I continued, “Joey is a nice guy, and didn’t deserve that crap from JT or anyone else. JT was just being a bully, like always to the new guy.”

Having finished cleaning all the blood off Joey, I patted him on the shoulder telling him, “Good as new, but you might end up with a shiner. Sorry.” I was feeling bad for Joey. He really didn’t deserve this, and I wanted to make him feel welcomed here at Pine Hills High.

I turned to Roger, “Roger, this is Joey, my new friend, and our new neighbor. His family just moved in on our street last week.” Joey lit up as he looked at me, and smiled at the word friend.

“It’s nice to meet you.” Joey said, still smiling as he turned to Roger.

Roger extended his hand towards Joey, which Joey took, and they shook hands.

Roger grinned, and said, “Howdy neighbor!”

That was so Roger. I smiled at both them, and placed a hand on each of their shoulders.

Suddenly the door flew open, and Timmy stepped in, looking out of breath, as the door closed behind him.

After taking a moment, to catch his breath, he said “The principal wants to see you two in his office” making quotation marks in the air with his fingers, “immediately!” Then pointed at Joey and me.

span>Thank you for reading my story. If you like it, please click the like it button on the bottom right of the page. I would also love it if you left a review of the chapter. It makes my day to get feedback from those that read the story.
The Trevor Project
The Testicular Cancer Primer
This story is Copyright © 2011-2014 Billy Martin, All rights reserved. Distribution for commercial gain, including, but not limited to, posting on sites or newsgroups, distribution as parts or in book form (either as a whole or part of a compilation) with or without a fee, or distribution on CD, DVD, or any other electronic media with or without a fee, is expressly prohibited without the author's written consent. You may download one (1) copy of this story for personal use; any and all commercial use excepting educational institutions requires the author's written consent. Any and all linking by external sites requires the author's permission. The author may be contacted at: billybratii@gmail.com
  • Like 43
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



What can I say, but brilliant, keep it coming. brought back one or two memeories of school as well. lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2011 11:21 AM, Kiltie69 said:
What can I say, but brilliant, keep it coming. brought back one or two memeories of school as well. lol
Thank you Tom! :)

I'm glad I'm able to let you and maybe others connect with good memories of days gone by :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Lets see - Day 1. Met cute Preacher's son, got into a fight protecting him, might have outed himself to the whole school, made an enemy of the school bully, and is off to see the principal. Well, if the rest of his days are like this you better write faster cause people are going to want more. Nice Job.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2011 12:57 PM, comicfan said:
Lets see - Day 1. Met cute Preacher's son, got into a fight protecting him, might have outed himself to the whole school, made an enemy of the school bully, and is off to see the principal. Well, if the rest of his days are like this you better write faster cause people are going to want more. Nice Job.
Oh WoW! Thanks Wayne. I hope everyone will like what's coming for Andy and his friends. Some stuff will be an eye opener and some just plain scarey.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Very nice start, and the inner voice of a 15 year-old is quite believable. Looking forward to the next chapters. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2011 06:01 PM, Bleu said:
Very nice start, and the inner voice of a 15 year-old is quite believable. Looking forward to the next chapters. :)
Thank you Bleu. It's people like you and the others here leaving comments offering your support and encouragement, make it easier to let the words flow from my imagination onto the screen and/or paper :) Thanks again!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/06/2011 08:25 PM, Foster said:
I say "Howdy" all the time. :P Thanks for another fun chapter.
Howdy Sam :P You're welcome! And thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment. It means a lot to me :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

What could the principal possibly want? whistle.gif What's wrong with being neighbourly?

Great chapter, Billy! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 11/07/2011 01:42 AM, Conner said:
What could the principal possibly want? whistle.gif What's wrong with being neighbourly?

Great chapter, Billy! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I think it's a secret. I'm not sure though. Maybe we'll find out in the next chapter. If someone would get off their butt and post it! :P And everyone should be a little more neighborly, dontcha think? ;)

 

Thank you Conner!

  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Nice. Violence and the church in the same chapter... who would believe it.

I am liking the characters very much and the story is progressing at a nice pace. Poor Andy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/24/2011 03:45 AM, Nephylim said:
Nice. Violence and the church in the same chapter... who would believe it.

I am liking the characters very much and the story is progressing at a nice pace. Poor Andy.

I think over time, Andy will show a lot of strength and character he never knew he had. I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

 

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a review. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

way to go andy! sticking up for Joey like that. i can only guess what the principal wants. looks like they could be in trouble. this is really good so far

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/27/2011 03:31 AM, Jammi said:
way to go andy! sticking up for Joey like that. i can only guess what the principal wants. looks like they could be in trouble. this is really good so far
I'm really glad you are enjoying it :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow, quick turn of events. Andy doesn't want anyone to find out his secret and then wham...he has to defend someone being bullied in a split-second decision. WTG Andy! I'm glad he did the right thing...even if he's going to have to pay for it later.

**Warning!!! I'm going to try to read slow but I told you that if I catch up to you AND have to wait for more, I'm going to be a whiny bitch and annoy the crap out of you until you post more...FYI :P **

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/17/2012 10:43 AM, K.C. said:
Wow, quick turn of events. Andy doesn't want anyone to find out his secret and then wham...he has to defend someone being bullied in a split-second decision. WTG Andy! I'm glad he did the right thing...even if he's going to have to pay for it later.

**Warning!!! I'm going to try to read slow but I told you that if I catch up to you AND have to wait for more, I'm going to be a whiny bitch and annoy the crap out of you until you post more...FYI :P **

LOL I'm beginning to love you KC!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Haha

I totally love the little elements of humour that you've managed to include in the story. I found myself giggling a couple of times, and I always admire a writer that can weave a funny line into something serious and full of tension.

Ok so we have finished playing catch up, and you are still leaving us on the edge of the seat at the end of the chapter, which is a good thing, so yeah.

Great chapter, and the plot line is developing nicely. :)

Onwards to chapter 3.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/10/2013 08:16 AM, Yettie One said:
Haha

I totally love the little elements of humour that you've managed to include in the story. I found myself giggling a couple of times, and I always admire a writer that can weave a funny line into something serious and full of tension.

Ok so we have finished playing catch up, and you are still leaving us on the edge of the seat at the end of the chapter, which is a good thing, so yeah.

Great chapter, and the plot line is developing nicely. :)

Onwards to chapter 3.

I'm glad you like it. And thank you for your kind words. Let me know what you think of the coming chapters :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm pretty sure that's not the way to stay in the background...but good work on the KO lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/22/2013 12:47 PM, Daithi said:
I'm pretty sure that's not the way to stay in the background...but good work on the KO lol
Nothing ever goes as planned, uh? :)

 

Thanks for leaving a review!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Very convincingly told. A realistic picture of school with its bullies and its nice guys. Andy is coming across as a great guy with a really nice bunch of friends. Love his inner voice constantly trying to keep him in line. And Joey seems so appealing too. Moving along nicely. Looking forward to a good read here. Thanks for writing.

Link to comment
On 09/02/2014 05:07 AM, Jaro_423 said:
Very convincingly told. A realistic picture of school with its bullies and its nice guys. Andy is coming across as a great guy with a really nice bunch of friends. Love his inner voice constantly trying to keep him in line. And Joey seems so appealing too. Moving along nicely. Looking forward to a good read here. Thanks for writing.
Thanks belong to you for taking the time to write.

 

So, Thank you :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/09/2014 06:49 AM, Ray169 said:
just excellent
I'm glad you're liking the story. Your comments makes writing worth it.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am normally very famous for nitpick comments on stories in GA.  It is a special temptation for an author who is writing dialog spoken by young people, to insert bad grammar into their speech. I congratulate you on avoiding that temptation. Your grammar seems to be all correct, and in no case will I ever comment on punctuation…that is a morass from which no author ever recovers. I am enjoying my reading and can only say, keep up the good work.

Mr Will

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..