Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Autumn - 10. When You're Alone

Saturday, 21 September 2013

“G’day, welcome aboard!” JP leaned against a concrete pylon on the dock behind his house in Alexandria, holding a steaming mug in one hand, and his phone in the other. “I was checking the weather again, clear and sunny’s still the forecast for the weekend. Bloody hot if you ask me, can’t wait to get moving.”

“Morning, Uncle Pope. It’s great to see you!” CJ bumped fists with the Aussie and kept on going, stepping aboard the PP while kicking off his flip-flops and pulling up his t-shirt―a light gray one with the Gulf Oil blue and orange meatball logo on it―ready for a day in the sun. “Thanks for letting me invite my friends. The taller guy’s Harley, the other one’s Thiago. Guys, this is my uncle John Paul Smith.”

“Hey! He’s not that much taller than me,” complained Thiago. “Good morning, sir. Thank you so much for inviting me to go sailing this weekend. I’ve never done this before!” The boy shook hands with JP while gazing at the PP with wonderment in his eyes. “Your boat’s beautiful, sir.”

“Thanks, Thiago, we’re happy to have you join us. But, mate, you have to call me JP. Sir is reserved for older people: my husband… César…”

“Asshole…,” mumbled a smiling César.

“Morning, JP! Thanks for letting me come too. I’ve been sailing before, on Lake Winnebago back in Wisconsin, but I’ve never been on a cat. Well, yeah, I have. But it was like so much smaller. This is gonna be fun. Are you the captain or is the cop in charge? And CJ never told us why the boat’s named the PP. Wait. I just realized there’s a captain for the boat but Cap’s a captain too. What―”

“Harley!” CJ and Thiago shouted at the same time making César and Brett chuckle.

“Ooops, sorry…”

“It’s okay, mate. Energetic bugger, ain’t ya? CJ, take your buddies inside, show them to the cabins, and stow your gear. The three of you get to share the forward ones.” JP turned to his friends, who were still laughing, and shook their hands. “Is he always like this?”

“Harley? Yeah.” Brett pulled JP towards him while shaking his hand and hugged him hard. “The kid’s high on life all the time. He’s fun to have around. I’m assuming we get our normal starboard side cabin?” JP answered his question with a nod. “I’ll take our stuff down for us, babe. Let’s go, kids.”

 

“So, you’re just gonna go ahead and promote yourself to Commodore?” César grinned at Tom who had moments before ceremoniously announced his new title. The four adults were sitting on the stern of the PP, sipping on Rum Runners, having tossed fishing lines in the river hoping to catch dinner. Wearing only bathing trunks and sunglasses, drops of water could be seen on their bodies, air drying after a recent swim.

“Hell yeah! Wouldn’t want poor Harley to get confused.” Tom Kennedy appeared no worse for wear after the ordeal of three weeks before. It was hard to miss he had spent a lot of time out in the sun; his tan was dark, and the hair on his chest shimmered with gold tones amongst the red.

“I call bullshit. You’re blatantly ignoring proper protocol. The title’s just an attempt to outrank me. You wanna be able to order me around,” said Brett. In a ritual they were all familiar with, he was thoroughly covering his ink with sunscreen. César was the only one not worried about his tattoos fading―he had none.

“You were right, mate. The kid’s fun to have around,” said Pope, changing the subject. “I sure hope Bradley and Patrick get to meet him when they come visit. CJ too, of course.”

“Yeah? Kids coming to visit soon, Tommy?” Brett’s excited tone and expression spoke of happiness for his friend and delight at the prospect of meeting Tom’s boys. “You’re gonna love having the kids around more than you could ever imagine. I wouldn’t trade having our boy around for anything! Hell, I’d take CJ over his father any day.”

“Fuck you, Jarhead. Remember the adoption’s not done yet, and I have to agree to it. When are your kids coming down, Tom? Any objections from your parents?” asked César.

“My parents don’t know shit of it.” Tom raised his middle finger and shrugged his shoulders, the I-don’t-give-a-fuck message was clear. “My father got pissed off when he was told the boys were going to call me, so we decided it’s none of their fucking business what happens between us. I’d grown used to not thinking of the old fools too often. Their visit changed that. If they act up when they find out, I’ll be happy to deal with them.”

“Better yet, mate, you let CJ deal with them.”

“JP’s right, CJ would scare the shit out of my dad. I guess it was good they did come to the hospital, and even better they met up with your kid. Frank Kennedy running home red-faced, with his tail between his legs, gave my ex the opening she needed.” The pissed-off expression slowly morphed to glee as he spoke of the confrontation between his father and CJ. “The boys are flying down to spend Columbus Day Weekend. If the weather holds out, we’ll go out on the PP for an overnight. JP’s birthday is that Sunday and Bradley’s is on Tuesday, so we want to have you all over to help celebrate. Probably Sunday, we’ll grill something or other, and hang out on the dock.”

“Crap. CJ won’t be here. He’ll be in Chicago visiting my brother, but Brett and I will be in town.”

“Mate, Bradley’s gonna be so disappointed. He’s been talking about wanting to meet cousin CJ a lot. We settled on the date of the visit last night, so I’m sure the boys aren’t aware they’ll miss seeing each other. I think the kid’s real happy to reconnect with Tom and considers CJ to be responsible for it.”

“Hell, he’s right.” Tom leaned down to retrieve the pitcher from the ice bucket and began pouring refills all around. “Doc won’t be here that weekend either. He’s flying up to New York to meet with Sean. He’s also planning on having lunch with Cristina and Chipper while he’s there.”

“Can you believe that shit? The kid’s disavowing his own dad in favor of the father’s ex.” César held his almost empty cup out for his cocktail to be replenished. “I wonder how Chip’s handling that. Not that there’s a chance of it happening, but if Brett and I were in a similar situation and CJ dumped me for this dog, I’d be crushed.”

“Ain’t even a remote possibility, babe.” Brett leaned over a planted his lips on César’s cheek. “You’re stuck with me until one of us croaks.”

“Since we’re gonna be in Australia for Christmas, the ex and I agreed the kids would come spend Thanksgiving with JP and me. I’m assuming you guys will be in Miami, so our sons will miss each other again. Maybe I can get them to come down another weekend in between?”

 

While the adults sat underneath the awning at the back of the boat, sipping their cocktails, the three teens were sprawled atop towels laid on the netting stretched between the pontoons at the bow.

“Bro, this is frickin’ insane. I love this boat. And your uncles are even cooler in person than what they sounded like in that article in the paper. That cop’s a big, big guy. He’s even taller than me! And he looks mean, but at the same time he’s always smiling?”

“Shut up, Harley. Stop bitching. Uncle Tom’s not so much taller than you. Hell, I’m the shortest guy on board!” CJ didn’t even bother to look at his friend when he aimed his elbow at his mid-section.

“Ouch! Hey, you still look older than Thiago and I do. I bet you could buy beer.”

“Harley’s right, bud. I’m older than you and I look like a little kid. It’s the shaving every day that does it. By the way, how come I didn’t get Elvis pancakes this morning? Pony Boy kept raving about them.”

“No time to fix them today, the rents wanted us out of the house early.” CJ leaned up a bit and looked back and forth between his friends. “And what’s with the Pony Boy thing?”

“You ain’t seen Harley naked, homes? White boy’s hung! Almost makes those stories about us black people a lie. Almost.”

“Shut up, Thiago!” Harley wanted to sound serious, he had scrunched up his brow in a way that might have seemed menacing to some; the tiny grin slowly growing on his face killed the effect.

“Fuck! Both of you are taller than me and now I find out you both prolly have bigger dicks? Not sure I wanna hang out with the two of you again!”

“Hush, CJ! Harley said he’s looking to get adopted by your dads, and I think I want in on the deal too. Not only are you a nice guy, but your parents and their friends are awesome, they haven't treated me like a kid once. Makes me want to act right for them. Oh, and the fact you’re rich don’t hurt none. I love all the toys!”

“I ain’t rich! And I’ll have you know I’ve got plenty of chores to do around the house so it’s not like I get anything I want just handed to me for the heck of it. Hell, I rarely ask for anything. I’m always scared to spend too much money.”

“Fine. You’re not rich. But your dads got a couple of Franklins floating around. I don’t give a shit about the money. Best part is you’re just a regular guy, not a snotty spoiled brat!”

“Bro, I called the adoption thing first. Plus, the motorcycle toys are more my speed. And the cars! I love the frickin’ Harley truck! Hey, speaking of toys, can we take the jet ski out?”

 

“Hmm, I have an idea. We’re taking CJ to New York over the Veteran’s Day Holiday weekend. November eleventh falls on a Monday this year, so he has three days off school together. How ‘bout you guys come with us? Your kids can ride the train down from Boston, and we all get to hang out together. The apartment’s big enough, no need to worry about hotels.”

“Sorry to interrupt…” CJ and his sidekicks had left the netting, apparently climbed into the salon through one of the bow hatches, grabbed cold bottles of water, and joined the adults at the stern. “Uncle Tom, can Thiago, Pony, and I take the jet ski out?”

“Sure, you know where the key is.” Tom raised his sunglasses, perching them up atop his forehead, and stared at the three tall boys in front of him. The blue of his eyes appeared to sparkle, the corner of his lips turned fractionally up―his entire expression softened. His smile grew as he fixed his gaze on Harley. “How’d you end up with a nickname like Pony, bud?”

“Already got it.” CJ held up a yellow foam cylinder with a key attached to it. “And he got the nickname ‘cause Thiago sez he’s hung like one!”

“I’m gonna frickin’ kill ya!” Harley ran after CJ, who was already jumping into the river. Thiago joined them in the water while the adults roared with laughter.

“You’re looking forward to seeing your kids, aren’t you?” César had kept his attention on the cop, while the other three men watched the kids scamper over the side, and swim towards the davit securing the small watercraft to the stern of the cat.

“You have no fucking idea. I go from being giddy to being worried. They haven’t seen me in so long. I’m scared how they’ll react. But hell yeah I’m excited. The thought of seeing them, and working on the boat, kept me sane since I left the hospital.”

“What the fuck you worrying for? The kids called you as soon as they were allowed to, they’re coming down to visit you voluntarily, and they know more about all of us than you could imagine. They keep asking CJ questions about you, Pope, us, and anything and everything else you could think of.” Brett stood and walked toward the glass doors leading to the salon; he stopped and turned right before sliding them open. “But you may as well forget screwing in the middle of the kitchen while they’re here, and I would caution against gorilla sex. At least until they get used to Pope’s moaning and groaning.”

“Fuck you, Jarhead! Moaning and groaning, my ass. You just wait until December. See? I’ll have you on my turf down in Oz. I’ll get you sorted then.” JP turned his body on the curved bench they were all sitting on, leaned his back against his husband’s side, and brought his feet up onto the cushion next to him. “I like the New York idea, Emperor.”

“I think it’d be fun, guys. You can have the kids take Amtrak down and we’ll meet them at the station.” César and Brett had already agreed to take the train up to the City after CJ expressed an interest in doing so. “If we schedule it right, we can all arrive at Penn Station around the same time. It sure as hell beats having to go to any of the three airports.”

Tom removed his arm from the top of the back cushion, draped it around his husband’s chest, and pulled him in tight against his body. “You sure there’s enough room for all of us?” He bent down and placed a soft kiss atop the Aussie’s head.

“Definitely. The apartment’s huge. Doc bought the place from a guy who ran into financial difficulties during the big economic turndown a few years back. The man he got it from had spent a fortune on the place by taking two units and merging them into one.” César momentarily paused as Brett returned with a fresh batch of cocktails and went around topping everyone’s cups. “So it ended up with three bedrooms, and duplicates of every other room. The smaller kitchen was turned into a laundry room. The two living rooms are still there, and they both have sleeper sofas.”

“I think we should do it, Commodore.” JP snickered when he used the title his husband had bestowed upon himself earlier. “Mates, I’m getting hungry. Let’s get inside and organize some lunch. We’ll call the kids in when it’s ready. Later tonight, remind us to ask you about those condos you own at The Papermill Building. Like the one Doc bought from you.”

 

“I wish my brother was still around so he could meet your dads and your uncles.” Thiago and the other two boys had spent most of the day in and out of the water; they were now back on the bow net, enjoying the view of the nighttime sky. “I wish he’d been able to see past those jerks at his school, and realized it does get better.”

“Did he talk about what he was going through?” asked CJ.

Anchored in Occoquan Bay, within sight of two National Wildlife Refuges, light pollution from the urban environment didn’t interfere with their view of a sky full of stars. The teens spoke in soft voices as if their surroundings called for respect and reverence. Gone were the bawdy jokes, the good-natured taunts, and shouts of the daytime. The slap of the water against the sides of the boat, and their hushed conversation, replaced them. CJ imagined being in one of the old majestic cathedrals, this one consecrated to Mother Nature.

“Not really. He was always kinda quiet. When he came home for Christmas he was even more so. I kept asking if anything was wrong, he kept telling me no.” The tinge of sadness in Thiago’s voice made his friends remain quiet, allowing him to share his thoughts. “He could have seen gay people are like anybody else if he’d met those men back there. He should have asked for help instead of keeping it all inside. Hell, he could have dropped out of school. My parents might have gotten upset, but at least he might still be alive today.”

“Bro, that frickin’ sucks. My little sisters are a pain in the ass, but I wouldn’t trade them for anything. I can’t imagine losing one of them.” Harley’s quiet tone and subdued behavior were a surprise to CJ. He realized there was more to his friend than the wild, funny, skateboarder. “I’m not sure how you can handle it so well.”

“I didn’t at first, and I still lose it all the time. Right afterward, I was a mess. Mom tried to get me to talk to the pastor at church, and I went crazy on her. I screamed I’d never talk to the asshole. He’d preached against homosexuality more than once, and we’d all sat through the hate he spewed from the pulpit.” The strangled sobs Thiago was fighting not to let out, did little to conceal his anger when he spoke of the minister. “I haven’t been to a church since then. Ended up calling the hotline at The Trevor Project, and although my situation isn’t exactly what they’re around for, the lady who answered was extremely nice. She talked to me for a bit, and then gave me the number of a local priest who she said I should talk to.”

“So you wouldn’t talk to your minister, but you ended up talking to a priest?” After his recent encounter with the one from Boston, CJ was a bit surprised a cleric had helped his friend.

“Yeah, an Episcopal priest. He works with troubled kids out of an office in the hood and helps run a gay support group. I talked to him a couple of times, he helped me realize there was nothing I could do, or could have done, about my brother. He suggested maybe, in his honor, I could help others. That’s how I ended up joining the GSA.”

 

“They’re awfully quiet, aren’t they?” asked JP. The four older men sat on the same bench they’d been on earlier in the day. The awning had been drawn back, and they were gazing at the same sky full of stars the teens were looking at. “Wait until we do something like this in Oz, mates. You’ll get to see the Southern Cross and all sorts of different constellations.”

“I’m looking forward to it. Considering the amount of energy those three spent today, I’m surprised they haven’t fallen asleep.” César was lazily tracing the outline of Brett’s chest tattoo with his finger. The marine had laid down on the padded bench, resting his head on his husband’s lap. “So, what was it you guys wanted to ask about the apartments?”

“You have any empty ones in the building? Or are any coming available in the near future?” asked JP.

“The ones we still own in that building are leased and won’t be available until next summer at the earliest. But we have one next door, at the Papermill Condo building, opening up in two months. The tenant already told us she’s moving out. You know someone looking for a place to rent?”

“Yeah, us. Maybe.”

Tom’s reply made Brett open his eyes and sit up. “Why? What’s going on?”

“Nothing yet, and maybe nothing at all,” chuckled the cop, obviously enjoying the reaction of his friend. “We’ve had realtors approach us asking if we’d consider selling.”

“Really? That’s interesting. Have they mentioned a dollar amount?” Typical financial mind, César was immediately looking at the dollars. “Wait, but you love the place. You wouldn’t sell, right?”

“Mate, we’d more than triple our investment if the numbers they’re tossing around are for real.”

“Sheeet!” said Brett as he softly whistled.

“Eloquent, Jarhead,” chuckled Tom. “Docking facilities on the Potomac are scarce, EPA regulations have gotten stricter since our place was constructed, and there aren’t many houses with so much river frontage on either side of the river.” The cop sipped his brandy-laced coffee as he ticked off each point. “The chances of anything like what we have being built from scratch are minimal. Plus, ours is in top shape right now after rebuilding the seawall this summer.”

“Okay, I can see it. But I have two questions.” Brett reached for the bottle of Courvoisier resting on the floor and added a healthy splash to his mug. “First, what happens with the PP? Second, why would you want to rent?”

“Hang on, I gotta pee.” Tom stood up, walked to the side of the boat, pushed his shorts down, and let a stream fly into the river. “I’d buy a spot at Gangplank Marina for the PP. We’d definitely be able to afford it, and the available amenities are great.”

“As for the renting part, we just don’t want to be rushed trying to find something quickly, mate.” JP lifted his head from the cushion and placed it on his husband’s lap once again when the man resumed his spot on the bench. “You guys know my cousin Owen, Spencer’s brother, is coming to live with us starting next August. He’ll be here for at least three years while he goes to law school. Tom’s kids will hopefully become regular visitors, so we need a large enough place. And we want to make sure it’s one we can stay in for a long time. Neither one of us likes to move.”

“Okay, so this may happen quickly but we don’t know how quickly. Or it may take a while for a sale to take place. Brett and I will keep the unit open when it becomes available so you guys can have it whenever you need it. Right, babe?”

“But―” JP was quickly interrupted by César.

“No buts. If you happen to sell before it’s available, you just move in with us temporarily, the same way Doc did. It’s funny, Brett and I were talking about the possibility of building out the basement and turning the space over to CJ. We’ve had sleepovers the past two weekends, and I have to assume there will be many more over the next few years.”

“You’re going to turn that huge basement into one room for a teenager?” Tom’s surprised comment made both Brett and César snort.

“Fuck no! We’d carve out at least two bedrooms and a man-cave. I’d love to have a pool table at home, but César wouldn’t let me put one in the first floor. I suggested we could use it for dinner parties if we put a top on it. The decorator shook his head and made a disparaging remark about gay men who lack the design gene. Anyway, after we exile CJ down there, we may want to split up the second floor and have three rooms there instead of two.”

 

Tuesday, 24 September 2013

After spending the weekend aboard the catamaran, CJ, Harley, and Thiago were fast becoming inseparable. The blooming friendship between the three boys led them to hang out together before and after classes, and during lunch. Thiago fit right in with the small group which had been sharing a table for the past couple of weeks.

“You did well, CJ.” Autumn placed her tray on the table and sat across from him, smiling when she spoke.

“Well, thank you. That’s good to know. What exactly did I do so well?” His puzzled look and his question brought chuckles from those around the table.

“The way you handled Kenton. I think some people were expecting you to beat him up after what happened with Lance.”

“Wish he had...”

“Harley, darling, stuff food in your mouth and shut the heck up.” Autumn’s sweet tone caused the general chuckling to return. “Anyway, you treated him like an adult, and I don’t think too many people have ever done so. He probably gets yelled at, called names, or ignored, and has no idea why. He does now. The kid’s actually been tolerable the last few days. I still don’t want to spend time with him, but I don’t have the urge to wring his neck all the time as before.”

 

Thursday, 26 September 2013

“O… M… G…” Autumn seemed ready to explode with excitement when she rushed to sit at the group’s table―next to CJ this time. “You’re not going to believe what I got as a birthday present. A car!”

“That’s fantastic! Did you get what you wanted?” Thiago asked.

“Well, yeah. I mean, like I knew it was going to be an American car. I just wasn’t sure which one. But I got a green Ford Fiesta! It’s like the cutest thing, ever!

Harley made a funny face when the car’s color was mentioned but didn’t make any remarks about it. “How come you knew it would be an American car?”

“Like, duh, Harley. My family’s from Michigan? Anyway, you’ll all get to see it Saturday at my party. And since I’m eighteen, my license is like a real one now. I may even take some of you guys for a ride to the mall. No more restrictions on the number of passengers under twenty-one in the car.”

“Bro, that reminds me. My mom and dad have a party to go to the same night as Autumn’s. One of them’s going to call your dads and offer to drive you to the party. They’ll pick us up when theirs is over and take you back home too.” Harley placed his mouth next to CJ’s ear and whispered to him. “Ain’t no frickin’ way I’m going to the mall with a bunch of girls. Yuck!”

 

Saturday, 28 September 2013

The birthday party was called for seven, but CJ and Harley arrived somewhat closer to eight. Autumn had asked the guests to make a contribution to the StandUp Foundation instead of bringing presents. Even if it was just a dollar. There was a large, clear glass jar in the middle of the dining room table, halfway filled with bills of different denominations and some checks.

Shouts of Harley and Miami greeted the friends as they walked in; Autumn came running up to hug and kiss both of them. CJ handed her a card, asking her to keep the amount private. With his fathers’ permission, he had written a generous check.

“Harley, go get some food, you’re always hungry. I need to introduce CJ to someone who asked to speak with him.”

“Food! Yeah!”

Damn, was he easy to distract, thought CJ.

 

Although the food was laid out inside on the dining room table, the real party was outdoors. Multiple Tiki torches and candle lanterns hanging from the trees lit up the backyard, giving it a festive atmosphere. There was a server behind a table pouring sodas and juices for the kids. Several bottles stored underneath were reserved for serving the adults. The majority of the older crowd would return inside after getting their drinks, while the younger crowd remained on the patio.

“Grandpa, this is César Abelló, Jr. CJ, this is my grandfather, Representative John David Dingell, Jr.” Autumn had steered CJ towards an older gentleman sitting in a wheelchair, holding a cane in one hand, and a glass of wine in the other. “I’ve been telling him about you: how during our first meeting, you called me out for something I screwed up, how you had the guts to come talk to me about it afterward, and how you got Ben Cohen to come to the school.”

“It’s good to see you again, Congressman.” CJ smiled as he shook hands with the older man. “What do you mean getting Ben to come to the school?”

“You’ve met before? You didn’t tell me that, Grandpa. And about Mr. Cohen, let’s just say I’ve got my sources. You just confirmed it by calling him Ben anyway. Means you’re on a first-name basis with him. Aha!”

“You’re in trouble, CJ. My granddaughter’s nosy and always seems to figure out stuff nobody’s supposed to know.” The Congressman gazed at Autumn with an affectionate look. “I’m surprised she admitted to doing something wrong. You must have shocked the living daylights out of Ms. Perfect.”

“Grandpa!”

“To answer your question, dear, I met your young friend this summer. He was an intern in Senator Rubio’s office. I remembered the name when you first mentioned him.”

“Sir, it’s such an honor you remember me. I am at a loss for words.”

“Ha! Based on what I have heard that would be a first. After Autumn mentioned your name, I called Senator Rubio’s office to ask about you. His chief of staff couldn’t say enough nice things. Spare a few minutes for an old man?”

“It would be my pleasure, Mr. Dingell. I’ll visit with you for as long as you want. It’s not every day I get to hang out with the longest-serving member of the House of Representatives. Wow!”

“Hmmm, you are definitely as sharp as Senator Rubio and his people claimed. I am suitably impressed. Not many people your age would know such a little bit of trivia as my length of service. I understand you’re a sophomore?”

“Yes, sir, that is correct.”

“Have you given any thought to what you would like to do after graduation?”

“Yes, sir, definitely college. If I could find a university that would allow me to triple major in Architecture, English, and Politics, I would jump through any necessary hoops to attend. Being realistic, in all likelihood I’ll study Architecture and minor in English. Politics I can learn about on my own.”

“Smart. Very smart. Living in Washington will allow you to soak up as much of the political atmosphere as you wish to. I’ll let you go enjoy your friends now, but I want you to call my office on Monday. Ask for my Chief of Staff, she’ll be expecting your call. I’d like to arrange for you to come down to the Capitol at some point, and spend a day or two with me. You did a stint with a Republican already, time to give a turn to the other side of the aisle.”

“Yes, sir, I’ll most definitely call her. Thank you very much. I'm honored and look forward to visiting with your staff. My dads will be real happy about my spending time with a Democrat!”

 

The rest of the night was an absolute blast, everyone was in a great mood and enjoyed themselves. Lance greeted CJ in an enthusiastic way when they first ran into each other, then dragged him off to meet a couple of his fellow baseball team members.

At one point, he ran into José-María and had a chance to speak with him privately. “I was looking for you before, buddy. Are you ready for our press conference on Wednesday?”

“Hi, CJ. I’m nervous. And when I’m nervous my accent gets worse. I hope I don’t sound stupid.”

“You’ll be fine. Listen I wanted to ask you two things: on Wednesday, my parents are having the people involved in the assembly over for dinner and we’d like you to come.”

“Really? Yeah, I’d like that. Who’s going to be there?”

“I think it’s my dads and me, you, Mr. Rupple and his partner, Mrs. Edwards and her husband, Ben Cohen, Hudson Taylor, and a reporter friend of ours and his boyfriend.”

“Wow, that’s a lot of people. You must have a big house.”

“Meh… not that big, but the dining room table sure is. My dads said one of them can drive you home afterward.”

“I have a car, so I can drive, but I need your address. Where do you and your dads live?”

“We’re in Georgetown, I’ll text you the address. The other thing I wanted to ask about is next Saturday. Hmmm… this sounds weird, but I guess I want to ask you out on a date. See, my dads have…”

Later, CJ and Harley were part of a conversation about peeing in the shower. Every guy in the group admitted to doing it and couldn’t understand why most of the girls thought it was disgusting. Harley suggested they were just jealous they couldn’t aim the stream.

Towards the end of the night, CJ found himself sitting alone with Thiago on a wrought iron bench underneath one of the trees with paper lanterns hanging from it. “What’s up, homey? Having a good time?” asked Thiago, smiling at CJ.

“Yeah! This is like the first party since I moved to Washington, where I’m not the only kid.” CJ stretched out his legs in front of him and glanced around at all the happy people enjoying themselves. “It’s usually my dads’ friends and me.”

“That can’t be half bad if all their friends are like the ones I met last weekend. Thanks again for inviting me, I had a great time.”

“I’m glad you did. Not sure how many more chances to go out there’ll be while it’s still warm enough to swim. Uncle Tom says as long as the river’s not frozen, they’ll take the PP out for the day. I’ll invite you again if we do that.”

“Thanks, and thanks for listening to me talk about my brother.”

“Hey, man, that’s what friends are for.”

“Yeah well, I did some thinking about him when I got home on Sunday, and kinda finally accepted there was little I could have done for him. Meeting your dads may have helped him, but I realized no matter what anyone had said or done, he’d probably still felt lost. The darkness can always creep in when you’re alone.”

 

The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) young people ages 13-24.
Trevor website: http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
Trevor Lifeline: 866-488-7386
C. A. Hazday
  • Like 73
  • Love 25
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I like that CJ is having a good time with his friends and still interacting with his uncles and fathers. It is good for the friends to see strong gay men/couples as well and see that success (in life and relationships). I feel for Thiago - losing his brother like that had to be really painful, especially seeing "what could have been".
I think politics is trying to claim CJ whether he wants that career path or not. lol. I guess that is a "hazard" of living in Washington and having any interest in politics. :lol:

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 09/02/2015 08:13 PM, drpaladin said:

Great chapter Carlos. CJ is enjoying and fitting in well with his group of friends. CJ's talk with Thiago about his brother was a help to both of them. It gave CJ the insight to see that there are some ministers who reach out to the LGBT community and Thiago is beginning to reconcile his brother's tragic death. It's a shame that we will have to wait awhile before CJ and Tom's kids get together. I think we are all looking forward to that meeting and its possible consequences.

 

The meeting with Rep. Dingell at Autumn's birthday party was a blindsider and a pleasant one. CJ's going back to Congress again. That boy is going to end up involved in politics despite everything if he doesn't watch out. Architecture, English, and Politics are an interesting mix of majors.

 

I liked the way you worked The Trevor Project into the story line. It is such an important resource for troubled kids. Every mention of it goes a long way to help lower the rate of young suicides. Great job.

Thanks, Dr. P!

 

My baby brother did a somewhat similar triple major at Yale and that's where the idea came from. I've been involved in community organizations most of my life and I'm trying to support those I believe in through my writing as well as through my checkbook.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 09/03/2015 12:34 AM, EagleIsaac said:

I like that CJ is having a good time with his friends and still interacting with his uncles and fathers. It is good for the friends to see strong gay men/couples as well and see that success (in life and relationships). I feel for Thiago - losing his brother like that had to be really painful, especially seeing "what could have been".

I think politics is trying to claim CJ whether he wants that career path or not. lol. I guess that is a "hazard" of living in Washington and having any interest in politics. :lol:

Thanks so much for the comments, Isaac.

 

At 15, CJ still has the idealism of youth as far as politcs is concerned. Doing the right thing can change the world for the better. I think it's good for him to experience different political philosophies.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 09/03/2015 12:56 AM, Robert Rex said:

Good on you for including The Trevor Project in here, since the chapter focuses on CJ and his friends--especially since the suicide statistics are so high in that group. And it's really good to see CJ building solid relationships with his class members. Fun to watch him come into his own with his peers.

Loving the way you're keeping the story line flowing...good job, as usual!

Thanks, Rex!

 

Keeping the story moving along is always a goal. I try to make sure each chapter advances it in some way. With the arcs started in Summer now fairly well wrapped up, it's time to show what life in his new school's like.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
On 09/03/2015 01:01 PM, Daddydavek said:

CJ's young friends are becoming close and your descriptions demonstrate or show it instead of just telling us. Well done!

Thank you Dave! I keep trying to improve a little each chapter :yes:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 09/03/2015 12:30 PM, Defiance19 said:

Felt like I was hanging out on the PP myself, or at least I really wanted to be. Such is the atmosphere you've created with these guys. Good guys, easy banter, all great stuff!

I also really like the direction of CJ's friendships. I'm glad that Thiago was able to get some clarity about his brother. He definitely climbed up ahead in Autumn's book. I'm not keeping count yet, but with Harley, Thiago, the inclusion of Patrick, Bradley and soon JP's nephew, CJ is building his own rat pack!

Liked this chapter, more please....

Thanks D.

 

I'm glad I was able to trasfer you to the boat with the descriptions, that's high praise.

 

Love you calling them a rat pack, hadn't thought of it that way. Does that mean I need to include an Italian who likes his vino to match Dean Martin? :P

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 09/03/2015 10:03 AM, Reader1810 said:

Delightful chapter Carlos. :read::wizard:

It was really good to see how well the three boys got along. Love the typical teenage boy messing around – in actions and words. It bodes well for the future long term.

I must say, the “adults” are as good as the kids when it comes to playful bantering.

I’m a little disappointed :( that we (the other faithful readers) have to wait for so long before CJ and his “cousins” get to meet one another. But, I have faith that there will be lots of things :yes: in the interim to distract us while we wait patiently…. :yawn::blushing:

 

Interesting twist that Tom and JP might sell their home, not only would it be financially beneficial, I also had the thought that geographically, it would bring them closer to their friends. That is, it easier to “just pop in” on the spur of the moment. Or maybe not... :/

Another thing that made me chuckle was Autumn’s (nice shout out) reaction to her new car – the American built green Ford Fiesta. My family is not from Michigan, but my dad did work for Ford, so my first car was a green (love that coincidence!) Ford Escort. I had that car for 17 years…

Lots of foreshadowing of the good things to come as the story progresses – can’t wait!

:thumbup::D:thumbup:

Thank you 1810!

 

The easy going nature of the friendship the adults have developed over years won't happpen overnight, but the kids seem to be headed in that direction. :yes:

 

All good things are worth waiting for, I'll try to make the time between now and the 'cousins' meeting for the firth time interesting.

 

I told someone yesterday they were getting good at reading between the lines of what I wrote. You're in the same boat. So on that note, I'll refrain from making further comments on any possible house sale. You may figure out the plot too far in advance. Time to distract you :gikkle:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 09/03/2015 10:02 AM, flamingo136 said:

Carlos

You have created a group of people that I would be honored to know and be friends with. Each is different and special in their own unique way; they compliment their differences with each other. I really enjoyed the flow of this chapter. As usual, great job and many thanks for your efforts. ;)Mike

Hey Mike!

 

I'm a firm believer everyone brings something to the table when a group gathers. I keep trying to make each character different enough but in a way they still fit into the entire scheme of things.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 09/04/2015 09:46 AM, Victor Gutte said:

Hey Carlos!! :hug: , I found this story today and found that it is part of a series :yes: ...I just caught up and really love the story :heart: ......BTW....I don't really remember meeting José-María :unsure2: or I might have missed him :no: :facepalm: :unsure2: ...... and I really liked the way you got The Trevor Project into the story :heart: ....thank you for such a nice story :yes: :hug:

Welcome aboard, and thank you!

 

Jose-Maria was introduced in chapter 8 of Autumn. He'll be back real soon :yes:

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/01/2016 01:50 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Liked this C! A bit more of what I'd call 'normal' teen behavior! Though I have no experience of what the is, but I used to guess it was like this. Nice to see CJ hanging with kids his age and liking it.

During the first part of the story, being surrounded by adults left CJ with few opportunities to act as a kid. I hope I can show him being more of a teen, albeit still mature, as he gets to spend more time with people his own age.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

@Dmrman

 

I can't recall how much I had to rewrite in this chapter. Normal procedure: write, set aside for a bit, beta reader, review comments, make fixes, read over, make changes/corrections, editor, make appropriate changes, editor, make appropriate changes, editor, make appropriate changes, read over and tinker, let sit, read over and tinker, post.

 

The chapter covering late summer 2017 has been my biggest headache. I had to go back and add some things and it got out of control. Had to slide scenes to the subsequent chapter which created a domino effect and I ended up with an extra chapter. That one has yet to go through any of the above steps so it my grow again. There's so much in my head trying to get out sometimes I have to smack myself.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Whoops, Troll alert!

A 'divot' is a piece of turf usually raised by a golf club striking at a ball. Do you mean 'davit'? That is a device, one of several different types, used to fasten a small boat onto a larger craft, like a lifeboat onto a freighter, which aids in lowering the smaller boat to the surface of the water.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, mister will said:

Whoops, Troll alert!

A 'divot' is a piece of turf usually raised by a golf club striking at a ball. Do you mean 'davit'? That is a device, one of several different types, used to fasten a small boat onto a larger craft, like a lifeboat onto a freighter, which aids in lowering the smaller boat to the surface of the water.

 

Trolls are welcome and encouraged around here... Don't be shy.

 

Typo will be corrected in a minute. Thank you so much! Honestly, I appreciate readers letting me know when something's not quite right.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Did you know the formatting got screwy? The whole last half of the chapter is in italics. 

 

And what's with asking josé-maría on a date in just a small cutaway paragraph before moving on?

 

As always, good chapter

  • Like 4
Link to comment

@Potterslashfan

 

I must have screwed up the formatting at some point. I most likely went in to fix a typo and who knows what my fingers and the keyboard did behind my back. I'll add this chapter to the list of those needing a little TLC.

 

We'd already discussed CJ looking for a date and the event so I didn't think I needed to repeat the info. The way José-María had been flirting with CJ we can assume he accepted. :P

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..