Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 2,680 Words
  • 2,619 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cataclysmic Evolution - 8. Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

“Are you going to get up for lunch?”

Barron turned his head toward Revi, but didn’t sit up as he considered the question. His face hurt, and chewing would probably make his jaw throb worse, but earlier his stomach had growled loud enough to hear over the sound of the little kids leaving after their morning naps. He and Revi had been lucky to not get busted for fighting—Jenn had brought them back into the dormitory from the nursery to nap a few minutes after they’d come to an uneasy truce.

At least it’d broken the awkward silence between them. Barron sat up and reached for his shoes. Revi’s bed creaked. “Don’t.”

Barron didn’t know if he was going to try to help him, but he didn’t want Revi to.

“Don’t what?” Revi had moved, but he was standing too far away to be reaching for Barron’s shoes.

“Nothing,” Barron muttered. He grabbed his tennis shoes where they were tucked under his bunk and shoved his feet into them. “Can we sit next to my friends? I won’t sit next to the girls. No fucking way.”

“So it’s not just my girly hair you hate, but actual girls too?” Revi sounded amused.

“They’re shrill and talk too much. Not to mention, they’re annoying as hell.”

“Jeez, Pernell, is there anyone you don’t hate?”

“My friends.” Barron stood up. He crossed his arms over his chest. “I’ve known them since we started school as kids.”

“Fine. We’ll sit by your friends.”

Barron started counting steps. He made the turn into the center corridor between the dormitory bunks. “Where the hell are you?” He hadn’t heard Revi move.

“Behind you.”

Good. No way did he want to look like Revi was leading him around or something. He walked toward the door, pretending confidence he didn’t feel. He knew how many steps it was. He’d made it the night before while everyone slept. He could do it now.

Twenty-nine. Barron put up his hand and the door was literally right in front of him. He’d barely avoided smacking into it. The door slid open when he touched it.

The humming in the corridor was muted. He couldn’t feel it in his feet. People moving around. He could hear their steps and snatches of conversations. Barron turned, a little hesitant. He knew which way to go, but crashing into someone would be embarrassing. Revi would probably laugh. Barron would’ve… before.

“Everyone’s on the other side of the corridor, leaving the cafeteria to head back to work.” The living quarters were on several rings orbiting the center ship area. People were heading to the lift or to use the central no-grav tube.

Made it easier for him, at least. He walked, trailing his hand along the wall. He didn’t want to miss the doors by miscounting again. The hall fell silent. There must’ve been a lull in the eating schedule.

The cafeteria doors slid open as they approached with a quiet snick. Even after just a few days, Barron was noticing a lot more sounds around him than he’d ever heard before. The buzz of everyone talking in the cafeteria was a dull roar as their voices blended together. He’d once walked into a flock of birds and set them off, squawking, and it was almost that bad.

He paused before going in.

“The line is on our right. Maybe nine of your steps.” Revi’s voice came from right behind Barron’s shoulder. He was close, almost touching. That let him speak quietly so Barron could hear him but no one else could. They joined the line. Revi actually pulled him back a little before he bumped into the last person before them.

“Thanks.” Barron casually slid his hands along the bar at the counter tray area. It was empty. He reached up to the counter above the slide and picked up a tray.

“Pizza, sub sandwich, or salad?” a woman asked.

Oh, pizza. Warm and cheesy. “What kind of pizza?”

“Three cheese or pepperoni.” Okay, so they weren’t exactly original in the topping choices, but Barron wasn’t going to complain. He didn’t want another sandwich, and no way was he eating rabbit food.

“One of each.” His mouth watered. He was really hungry and could smell the doughy crust and cheese, along with the sharp tang of tomato sauce. A vibration between his hands let him know the plate with his pizza had been set down on his tray. “Thanks.”

“Cheese only, please.”

Barron didn’t wait for Revi. He slid down the line slowly. When the back of his hand hit another tray he stopped.

“Drink?”

“Milk, please.”

“Milk?” Revi sounded amused.

“It’s good with pizza. I like milk. Made me big and strong. Obviously you didn’t drink enough of it growing up.”

“Uh huh. Your size had nothing to do with your genetics and everything to do with nutrition.” Barron could almost hear Revi roll his eyes.

“Well, I’d say yes if I were still acting like an ass, but I’d be lying. Genetics for an average, white male dictate about eighty percent of a person’s height, with another twenty percent influenced by environmental factors like nutrition and lifestyle. Lack of protein and Vitamins A & D, like milk and meat—Mr. No Pepperoni—are two of the main nutritional contributors to growth, or lack of it. So yeah, I drink milk.”

“Holy shit. You’re a geek.” Revi’s voice rose.

His face heated at Revi’s audible shock. “I’m not stupid, no. But I am not a geek.”

Revi didn’t say anything else. They finished getting their food. Barron paused after he picked up his tray.

“It’s pretty busy in here. Let me lead you.”

Barron ground his teeth. “No.” Just… no.

“Do you know where your friends are?”

“No. And since your dad said they couldn’t help me, they can’t exactly come and get me so I will know, either. But you’re still not leading me around.”

“Shit. Why did you have to mention him?” Revi muttered. “He’s here, and he’s looking right at us.”

“Well, let’s stop standing here.” Barron suppressed his urge to snarl and scowl.

“Fine, but if something happens it’s your fault—not mine. Turn left, then walk about six steps and make a right.” Revi was right behind him again.

Barron tightened his fingers around the tray. He hated this. Not being able to see, depending on someone else to guide him around like a baby. Revi wasn’t touching him, but his breath puffed against the sensitive hair at the base of his neck, and Barron almost swore he could feel the heat from Revi’s body along his back.

It was almost as bad as it would’ve been if Revi took his hand. Barron tried to suppress the thoughts chasing circles around in his brain. He had to pay attention. He counted and turned, taking deep breaths through his nose.

“Not so much, turn a little left or you’ll bump into the end of a table with a bunch of the dreaded girls at it. They might think you want to sit with them—God forbid!”

“Oh, shut up.”

Revi snickered. “Wuss. Afraid of a few girls.”

“Do you think, if I turned around right now, tripped over nothing, and dumped my food all over you that your dad would buy it was an accident?”

“Do you want him to come over here? You shut up,” Revi hissed. “Your friends are at a table about twenty steps straight ahead.”

When they got close, William called out to him, “Hey Barron!”

“Hey.” Barron winced when his legs hit the bench attached to the table. “Ow.”

“Be careful! Here, let us help you.” Someone took his tray and then grabbed his arm.

“Damn it, guys, if you take my tray I don’t know where it is. And I can sit down on my own. Someone didn’t tell me we were at the table.”

“I said twenty steps.”

He had. Barron made a face. “I lost count when William distracted me.”

“Sounds like that hurt.” A tray smacked down on the table beside him, and the bench shook.

“Dude. You’re an asshole,” Creed snapped. “Why don’t you go somewhere else? Like out an airlock or something.”

“Lay off, guys. I’m stuck with him, so no airlock treatment tonight.” Barron was kinda starting to enjoy the verbal sparring with Revi. He was a real smart ass.

“Here.” Thavin grabbed Barron’s hand and put his milk in it. “I stuck a straw into it.”

“Damn it.” Barron put the milk down. “You know, I think I actually like Revi’s guiding me around. He tells me where stuff is, and he doesn’t move me around like a doll.”

No one spoke.

“I’m blind. Temporarily. I’m not incapable.”

“We’re just trying to help,” Thavin said.

Barron sighed. “I know, I know. I just… I don’t like needing it.” It was a lot less awkward having a stranger helping him than his friends, now that he’d actually let Revi. Besides, he didn’t get his feelings hurt when Barron acted like an ass, he just flipped him shit right back. “Sorry.”

“You should be.” Creed bumped his shoulder. “You’re lazing about, and we’re all working our butts off.”

Barron groped the table, finding his tray and the plate. “I’d rather be working,” he muttered. He took a bite of pizza and groaned. He was so hungry. No more skipping meals.

They were all quiet as they shoveled food in like they hadn’t eaten in weeks, instead of hours. Barron tried not to make a mess. Good thing they gave him extra napkins, because he wasn’t sure he was successful.

Someone burped.

“Gross,” Revi said.

“Hey, better out than in.” William snickered. “Who knows what end it might come out then?”

“You’re a pig,” Thavin said.

“Yep.” He clearly didn’t care. Barron snorted. He never had.

“Bet I can burp louder than you.” Creed tried but failed.

“Heathens! I’m surrounded by heathens!”

Barron ignored them as he started his second slice of pizza. He began to eat the pepperoni off first.

“You have weird friends,” Revi said.

He did, but they were his friends and had been since they were little. “Yeah, so?”

“Nothing. Just saying.”

“You two are getting along now?” William asked. “So we shouldn’t replace his shampoo with dye or anything?”

“Where in the hell did you get dye?” Barron wanted to know.

“I cannot give up my sources,” Creed intoned. “Confidentiality and all that.”

“Dye, pfft. I got some of that instant hair gel the girls use on their legs.”

“No shit?”

Barron had to stop them before Revi ended up bald or looking like he had doll hair.

“Yes, we’re getting along now, so no, do not make him bald or turn his hair whatever color you found.” It was probably bright purple or green or something. Barron shook his head. “I was an ass for a stupid reason. I shouldn’t have tripped Revi that day at the caves.” Looking back, it wasn’t funny. He knew why he’d really done it, even if he still didn’t want to admit it.

“Yeah, well, he tripped you too. We all heard about it. And you’re blind!” Thavin snapped.

“I am not blind! I just… temporarily can’t see. And—”

“Shh!” Barron couldn’t tell who was hushing him. “What?” he asked.

“Some military bigwig is coming over here, and he looks pissed.”

“Fuck, it’s my dad.” Revi shoved a napkin in Barron’s hand. “Wipe your face; you have sauce on your cheek.”

Barron scrubbed, then winced. Damn it, his face still hurt.

“Mr. Pernell. Revi.”

“Sir,” Revi said. Barron stared up toward the voice. Revi’s dad was standing off to his left, maybe at the edge of the table. He did not sound happy.

“Care to explain yourselves?” Oh no. That tone of voice didn’t fly with Barron.

“We’re eating lunch.” Barron waved a hand over the table. “Pretty sure that’s what’s going on, but I can’t exactly be sure. Or are we not allowed to have lunch with my friends?” If the ass tried to tell him who he could and couldn’t hang out with, Barron was going to blow a gasket.

Revi elbowed him.

“Ow.”

“Something wrong, Mr. Pernell? Perhaps one of those bruises is throbbing.”

More like his ribs. “Nah, those are fine.”

“Revi?”

“I’m fine, Dad.”

“So the two of you show up with battered faces and expect me to believe… what, exactly? Nothing happened? I told you before—”

“Revi had to help me out. Well, he’s doing that. We’re here, aren’t we? I’m eating lunch, he’s eating lunch, and no one’s on the floor—here at least. We had a bit of a tangle earlier figuring out how to make this ‘helping me out’ thing work. It was an accident.”

“A tangle? And did any of you see this?”

“No,” chorused Barron’s friends.

“We told you, and I’m saying it again. We’re fine.” Barron crossed his arms over his chest. His dad was dead. Revi might have to answer to his dad, but Barron didn’t. He stared obstinately forward, waiting.

“We were alone, sir,” Revi said. “It was just an accident in the dormitory. That’s why we missed breakfast.”

Guess Revi wasn’t such a daddy’s boy. Or maybe he didn’t want to get into trouble.

“If that’s what really happened…”

Barron wasn’t going to crack. He hoped Revi didn’t either. Silence reigned at their small table.

“Fine. But don’t let any more ‘tangles’ happen. Since you two seem to be fine, and you’ve shown you can manage together, I’m putting you to work. We should be planet-side in a week. Until the habitats can be set up, all non-emergency medical care will be on hold. I’m putting you in charge of sorting materials for the housing units. You still have two good hands, Mr. Pernell, and the more work you do now, the sooner you get to see later.”

What a douche. Barron narrowed his eyes. Work or don’t have his eyes fixed… basically a threat. “Yes, sir.” Revi sighed.

Barron wasn’t that upset about the work, just the asshole’s way of telling him what to do. He’d been going crazy in his bunk. He knew they were being punished, though, and that pissed him off. “Whatever.”

Revi’s dad must have been a drill sergeant at one time. He barked, “Report at 0600 tomorrow. You can get oriented to the housing hold before breakfast when the workroom is empty. Since you didn’t seem to mind missing breakfast today, it shouldn’t bother you to miss it tomorrow either.”

Damn, Revi’s dad was a hard-ass. Barron scowled. Who did he think he was? Barron ground his teeth together on the response he wanted to give. He waited until he heard the heavy stomp of boots on the metal floor fade away. He wouldn’t forget that sound again.

That’s your dad?” Creed whispered. “Oh, my god, that must suck.”

“Tell me about it. Why do you think Mom and I moved four hours from the base he worked at?”

A buzzer went off.

“Lunch is over. Gotta head back to work,” Thavin said.

“You’ll be back for dinner, right?” William asked.

If they had to miss breakfast the next day? “Definitely.” Barron began to make plans while his friends got up. Creed took his tray for him. Barron made sure to thank him to make up for his crankiness earlier.

“I can’t believe you talked to my dad like that,” Revi said.

Barron shrugged. “Why not? I’m not in the military, and I’m not his kid. He has rank, and shit’s all fucked up right now… but I’ve had enough with my life being dictated to me. My dad was like that. Always on my case and telling me what to do, how to act, how my friends had to act. I don’t have to take it anymore, and I won’t. A new world means things are going to change.”

He took a deep breath. “I’m going to change.”

Copyright © 2014 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..