Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 998 Words
  • 3,719 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fortitude - 15. Chapter 15

“It’s a fact of life, Will.”

“Not the life you should have,” I said. I’d escaped following in my father’s footsteps by nature of my birth, the very thing that trapped Teddy in his life. Apprenticeship within the family was a poor system.

But individuality was seldom a trait celebrated in the city. Duty, familial honor, strict adherence to tradition… all prized above following one’s dreams or personal ambitions.

Including Teddy’s desire to tell the tales I’d been so lucky to hear since were small boys. “Come on. We have things to do.” I trailed my fingers in the cup I’d only taken a few sips from. I dabbed the ale at my neck.

“To your parents’?”

I nodded.

Eight days.

My parent’s fete would continue. Teddy’s father would remember, possibly, that he was working with me. Then we would be expected to return to our routines, and any deviation would cause scrutiny we could ill afford.

Not if the truth of this puzzle was to be found.

“We need to find the location of Schvesla’s machine,” I said, as we ambled down the road arm-in-arm again.

“How?”

“Do you remember my map? The one I showed you down in the tunnel?”

Teddy nodded.

“The path didn’t begin at the entrance to the tunnel. So, we’ll follow it backward.”

Yawning, Teddy asked, “Why did we leave the city anyway, then? How could you be sure that Schvesla hid his codex outside the city walls? Why would he expect those who came after him, those who found refuge here, to leave?”

“It’s only been in our lifetime that the isolation has been complete. My grandfather told me stories he’d been told, of how there were other cities like ours. There was trade and information, even travel for a select few. There are two stars on the map. One for the machine, one for the codex. It only makes sense. And we know the machine is in the city. That much is irrefutable.”

I was tired, and I knew Teddy was exhausted. We’d kept to a grueling pace. As much as I wanted to begin immediately, we couldn’t. We’d be far sharper with rest. Walking, our journey took the better part of an hour. My feet ached in my boots, throbbing and swollen against the leather.

We certainly wove about the walkways and alleys enough to simulate being drunk from drink instead of exhaustion. Our cover story firmly in place, we passed through the front gates and into the courtyard. A servant, water buckets hanging from her shoulders, gasped at the sight of us and hurried away to the side entrance. A man, one of two servants my mother’s family employed to keep up the estate, strode from the same entrance.

I knew better than to try going in the front door, but I made a great pretense at trying. Finally, I allowed him to draw Teddy and me through the narrow halls and stairs until we hit the third floor where I was quartered.

“Your parents have been asking about your whereabouts, Master Will.”

“A few drinks, a few games. A few girls,” I said with a leer. There’d never been any girls, and I saw Teddy wince, even though he’d been with me. I sighed. “I’m quite worn out with the tedium for today though, and need a rest. And a bit of a wash.” Making a face, I plucked at my shirt. “I could go down and announce my presence, though, if they’re that anxious.”

He grimaced. “No, Master Will, I’m sure they’ll be quite busy at the moment. Perhaps in the morning, you can speak with them breakfast?”

Not bloody likely, but I nodded.

“Very good. I shall have baths drawn up, sirs,” Simon said. He bowed slightly. “If you’ll remain in your room, Bettice will bring it all here.”

Once we washed, Teddy and I were out. As I thought, we’d slept the morning away, quite missing breakfast—and any interrogation by my parents. We dressed in fresh clothing and grabbed some food on the way out the kitchen door.

“Where are we going?” Teddy took a bite of his sweet roll, glaze drippings shining on his lips.

“Now we go to the museum. It should be deserted at this time of day. I want to look at Schvesla’s diagrams again.”

Most people were eating lunch, and the front desk was unmanned. The small house Schvesla had lived in was set up as a museum, but was seldom visited by many. I stared around the parlor, examining it visually first.

“What are we looking for?” Teddy asked.

“Secrets. Another hidden compartment, a hidey hole or something. I’ve been thinking. What if the stories about his codex are false? What if there is no other scientist he collaborated with in another city?”

“Didn’t he leave the journals? The originals were in the foyer.”

I raised a finger. “One, no one can say for certain he wrote those. Two, no one can say for certain what is written there, even if he did write it, is the unvarnished truth. We’re here because we suspect our city leaders of being false. Our very landscape outside the city walls proves man does not always care for his fellow humanity, or the cataclysm would never have happened in the first place.

“I already found the map. I want to know if I missed something because I was too sure of the knowledge I thought I had.

“All right. I’m not sure how much help I’ll be, though.” Teddy shrugged, a dissatisfied look on his face.

“I told you before, you don’t give yourself enough credit. I won’t allow you to go into a fugue state here, so just try to focus.”

“That brings it on, sometimes.” Gammas were almost as unheard of as betas, but they were much maligned. Teddy’s father had not helped with his self-worth, at all.

“I believe in you, Teddy,” I reminded him.

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Another great chapter. Looking forward to seeing what they find. :)

 

I'm not sure I understand exactly what gammaS are and why they have periods of fugue. Apologies if you explained somewhere and I missed it.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

It will be interesting to see if they find anything in the museum. I'm glad they're not taking what's there at face value. Like Impunity, I was also wondering about the gamma's power. I have a feeling that Will is going to need Teddy to get through whatever he discovers about Schvesla's machine. I look forward to the next chapter. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/29/2015 01:10 AM, impunity said:
Another great chapter. Looking forward to seeing what they find. :)

 

I'm not sure I understand exactly what gammaS are and why they have periods of fugue. Apologies if you explained somewhere and I missed it.

Thanks, impunity!! Beta vs. Gamma, and the other groups, refers to the type of brain wave power they're capable of. It's part of the storyline, but I don't know that I've ever explained it.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/29/2015 01:33 AM, Valkyrie said:
It will be interesting to see if they find anything in the museum. I'm glad they're not taking what's there at face value. Like Impunity, I was also wondering about the gamma's power. I have a feeling that Will is going to need Teddy to get through whatever he discovers about Schvesla's machine. I look forward to the next chapter. :)
Well, Teddy is definitely important to Will--and the story! I do plan to share a bit more on the brain wave issue, but that's all part of the plot so I don't want to get into it too much. Thanks so much for the review, Valkyrie!
Link to comment

I wonder what Teddy's gonna be capable of :o can't wait to see!

Poor Teddy, though :lol:. He flinched when Will said he'd been with girls? He really likes Will :gikkle:.

Awesome chapter!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/29/2015 02:55 AM, faxity said:
I wonder what Teddy's gonna be capable of :o can't wait to see!

Poor Teddy, though :lol:. He flinched when Will said he'd been with girls? He really likes Will :gikkle:.

Awesome chapter!

Ahh, the reader picking up on the subtle clues!! I love that, since this story is exclusively from Will's POV. Thanks so much for the review, Faxity!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..