Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,001 Words
  • 3,423 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Fortitude - 20. Chapter 20

Teddy hovered behind me, his breath against my neck distracting me as I experimented with the cogs on the borders of the metal plaque. “Can you open it?” he asked.

“Shh.” I needed to hear as well as feel the clicks as each cog slipped into place. Teddy sucked in a breath, and then it felt like he stopped breathing, distracting me even more. Thankfully, I was on the last cog. We both exhaled when it clicked into place and Murci’s face popped away from the rest of the plaque. I had to wiggle my fingers into the tiny gap and pry it away from the wall, but it didn’t come off.

Metal springs inside the mask held it to the plaque on either side. I probed the inside, hoping there weren’t any rough edges that would cut my fingers since I couldn’t risk a light. That would be too unusual. It was daytime; I shouldn’t need a light.

The metal was smooth behind it, so I felt the back of the mask. There was a shallow depression inside. I was expecting to find something like the box I’d found in Schvesla’s museum, but instead something crinkled under my fingers. Paper?

I pulled it out. The crinkling sound was paper, remarkably well preserved, even if it’d been protected within the metal. I glanced around; no one was in sight, but it felt like what we were doing was so monumental someone should’ve been on to us.

Of course, there was no one about. It was abominable weather, and the scrap yard was very few childrens’ idea of a playground. My long-time fascination with Schvesla—given our mutual Beta status—had ensured I spent a lot of time wherever he was remembered in the city.

“What does it say?”

The writing was spidery and faint, faded to a brown ink on brown paper. I squinted at it. “It’s hard to read.” Copies of Schvesla’s journals had been printed; I’d never had to try and read his actual handwriting. My hands shook, knowing I was holding something he’d once held. The tremor didn’t make any easier to make out the words.

“I think it’s an address,” I said slowly.

“To the museum?” Teddy asked. “That was his house and where you found the box.”

“No.” I shook my head. “This is on the opposite side of town; not too far from here, actually.”

“Is that it? Just an address?”

I flipped the paper over, expecting it to be blank. “Actually, there’s something written on the other side.”

“There is?” Teddy crowded closer, his chest pressing against my back. I relished the contact, ill-advised though it was.

“Beware the well-intentioned folly; such is the hubris of man,” I read aloud. I frowned.

“What in the world does that mean?” Teddy must’ve tilted his head, the way he usually did when he was puzzled. His silky hair brushed against my neck, and I shivered.

“No idea.” The words were breathy. Maybe I’d get some idea or clue if I had proper blood flow to my brain, but just the feel of Teddy against my body—even so innocently—had my libido clamoring for more than its fair share. I took a deep breath and let it out slowly, trying to regain control. I flipped the paper over and read the address several times, committing it and the odd turn of phrase to memory.

Then I put the paper back in the metal mask. Hopefully it’d go back in, and the springs weren’t permanently sprung. The metal fought, but finally began to move back.

“What are you doing?”

“If we fail, there may be someone who follows in our footsteps. I put the map back when we were at the museum. I’ll just hope we don’t need either, but if we do, we’ll know where they are. Help me out and turn the cogs.” I’d finally gotten the face into position, but it wasn’t staying in. Hopefully they’d lock it back into the plaque.

“Good?” Teddy turned the cogs, releasing the catches. The face stayed in place.

“Perfect. Thanks.

“So now what?”

“Now we keep going.”

“Even if it leads to just another clue? Are you sure we don’t need the box and the paper?”

“Even so. And no, I’m not sure. But this way there’s no evidence of our quest, other than what’s in my head.” I tapped my temple. “Far safer.”

“True.” The rain had eased off while we read the enigmatic note. “Shall we go?”

“After you.” I ushered Teddy through the park toward the address. He’d never had as much time on his hands as I had as a child; his father had needed him to work. After I’d caused a few of my father’s experiments to go awry, he’d sent me away for large portions of the day so he could work on sensitive inventions. Really, they’d been some of the best years of my life. Halfway there, though, Teddy began to stumble.

“Teddy?” I snagged his elbow, pulling him to a halt. There was a familiar look in his eyes. He’d gone into a fugue state. It’d been almost two weeks since he’d done it last. “Teddy!” I shook him. What idea had gotten him stuck in an endless loop this time?

“We don’t have time for this,” I muttered. I knew it wasn’t his fault, though. Sometimes Teddy got an idea in his head, and he had to think it through. I couldn’t force him to focus outside of his own mind; this was the curse of being a gamma. Betas had the fastest brain waves; we created the most energy and power. Gammas had the slowest.

It was one of the reasons so many people though they could look down on Teddy. But not on my watch. I carefully steered him to the mouth of an alley. It wouldn’t do to be spotted in this neighborhood.

Teddy shivered. I wrapped my arms around him and sighed.

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 3
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Out of likes, :( but I'll be back later. :thumbup:

I loved this chapter the mystery deepens and the clues get more cryptic but the boys don't give up. :)

I hope Teddy will be okay, maybe he'll have an idea that will help them!!

Link to comment

I love how distracted Will gets by Teddys physical closeness. It's so sweet! :)

 

I wonder what they're going to find at the end of this next clue. Hopefully they'll get some answers, but I suspect they will be left with more questions.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/04/2015 09:07 PM, Caz Pedroso said:
Out of likes, :( but I'll be back later. :thumbup:

I loved this chapter the mystery deepens and the clues get more cryptic but the boys don't give up. :)

I hope Teddy will be okay, maybe he'll have an idea that will help them!!

Hey, a review is just as good as a like! The mystery is really taking them on a hunt, but Will is definitely determined and Teddy isn't going to let him go it alone. More will come next week, as always! Thanks for the review.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/05/2015 09:08 AM, LitLover said:
I love how distracted Will gets by Teddys physical closeness. It's so sweet! :)

 

I wonder what they're going to find at the end of this next clue. Hopefully they'll get some answers, but I suspect they will be left with more questions.

One thing is answered and another three things become unknowns! That's what I enjoy in a dramatic story, so I hope it's working for readers in my story, too. Thanks so much for the review, LitLover.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/05/2015 09:08 AM, LitLover said:
I love how distracted Will gets by Teddys physical closeness. It's so sweet! :)

 

I wonder what they're going to find at the end of this next clue. Hopefully they'll get some answers, but I suspect they will be left with more questions.

One thing is answered and another three things become unknowns! That's what I enjoy in a dramatic story, so I hope it's working for readers in my story, too. Thanks so much for the review, LitLover.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I love how Will takes care of Teddy when he needs him. It's so cute how he's distracted by Teddy. I'm curious about that address. I'm also curious about what Teddy's thinking about that brought on his fugue state. I look forward to the next chapter. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/05/2015 09:41 AM, Valkyrie said:
I love how Will takes care of Teddy when he needs him. It's so cute how he's distracted by Teddy. I'm curious about that address. I'm also curious about what Teddy's thinking about that brought on his fugue state. I look forward to the next chapter. :)
Thanks, Valkyrie! The fugue state has been mentioned before, but this is the first we've actually seen it. Will's been taking care of Teddy for a long time, but now he is far more open about it. Adventure with deadly consequences seems to have that effect. LOL
Link to comment

I can't express how much I love this story! :wub: Will's preserving the clues for a potential successor was awesome! Also, as much as we're getting hints that gammas are disparaged for their slow thinking, I am certain that the quality of their thinking is going to turn out to be extraordinary.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/05/2015 01:22 PM, impunity said:
I can't express how much I love this story! :wub: Will's preserving the clues for a potential successor was awesome! Also, as much as we're getting hints that gammas are disparaged for their slow thinking, I am certain that the quality of their thinking is going to turn out to be extraordinary.
;) Impunity, you're quick the thinker yourself. Thank you so much! Will is right; they don't need to get caught with anything anyway, but if he fails....
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..