Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Button - 8. Eight Days a Week

Button ice skates and does some coloring. Sarah calls him with some bad news.

Eight Days a Week

Craig watched as Button stumbled on the ice, precariously tipping to one side, but then righting himself. He had to admit, this was the best he’d done skating. Every Saturday and sometimes on Sunday afternoons, they’d trek out to the ice rink at McCrae Park and practice ice skating. It had been a disaster at first; Button’s coordination wasn’t good on dry land much less on skates. But the little guy kept trying and he was getting better.

Graham had begged Craig to stop bringing him but Button was so insistent on going. He wanted to skate like his Daddy and there was no stopping the little guy when he was determined. Button was improving and no longer spent half the time on his behind.

“Daddy, look!” Button shouted as he glided slowly forward. “I’m doing it now.” He was so excited.

“You’re doing great. It just took some practice, that’s all,” Craig shouted. He watched as Button tentatively tried to turn. Uh oh, that didn’t work. Down on the ice, Button laughed and waved.

Craig skated over to him and reached down to help him up. He saw as Button stood up there was a bulge in the ice.

“That’s what tripped you up,” Craig said smiling at him. “There’s a bump in the ice.”

“I guess I’ll be more careful,” Button said grinning. “Can you skate with me?”

“Sure,” Craig said grabbing his hand. “Let’s practice some turns.”

The father and son picked up speed as Craig pulled Button along with him. Since he’d been Button’s age, he’d been as comfortable on skates as he was running on a track. It was second nature as he spun Button around the ice in wide circles into tight spins. The boy loved swirling around on the ice. Craig figured that was part of the allure of skating; being there with his dad and feeling the thrill of the cold air rushing past. Craig always felt that delicious little tickle as he spun around an opponent stealing the puck.

“I’m much better, huh Daddy?” Button said looking up at him.

“You are doing great Button. Soon you’ll be racing around like me,” Craig said and pointedly didn’t look over at the other side of the rink. On the other side was an array of eight year olds sparring over a puck with little hockey sticks. They didn’t fall. They didn’t need their dads to pull them around. Those boys were already spinning and skating backwards. They were as sure-footed as he had been at their age.

Craig choked back a little pang of anxiety while smiling at Button.

He was doing better.

**************************

“Yes, I’ll get Craig to go pick up more buns.” Graham said into the phone. “He can bring those extra cups as well.”

Graham listened to Sam, the weekend shift manager, and then looked over at the table. Button was sitting there carefully hunched over his paper. He was practicing his lettering again. He was in second grade but was still having trouble with printing. Since getting back from the ice rink, their little boy had studiously taken his IEP folder and started on the printing exercise.

“Yeah, sounds good. I’m surprised you ran out so quickly. It’s really picking up isn’t it?” Graham said. The Southdale DB’s Diner was actually THEIR store. The concept had caught on quickly in the skyway last year and only eight months in Craig found an opening in the food court at the mall in Edina. From the start, they were struggling more with how busy it was and getting good help. Sam was one of their luckiest hires. He was young but learned quickly and took his responsibility seriously. Their only beef was that his girlfriend worked there too, but since Craig and Graham had worked together at first, they couldn’t complain.

“Thanks Sam. Craig will be right over,” Graham said and hit end. “Craig! You need to run to the store.”

Craig walked into the kitchen a couple of minutes later rubbing the sleep from his eyes. “Again? I just took napkins and lettuce to them.”

“Well, they’re running out of buns now, the pretzel ones, and they need more cups and clamshells too,” Graham said. “The bakery closes in an hour so you need to get going.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Craig muttered. “I’m so fricking tired. I didn’t get finished last night until after ten.”

“I would’ve thought you’d be pleased at running such a busy place,” Graham chuckled. “Now you’re grousing about how much work it is.”

“I wouldn’t complain if my husband didn’t stick me with the on call shift this weekend.”

“Hey, I had it last weekend so don’t bitch,” Graham laughed and kissed him. “I was just lucky no one called in sick.”

Craig kissed him and the top of Button’s head and grabbed his coat. As he left, a swoosh of cold air filled the kitchen.

“Brrr,” Button said and picked up his paper. “Look Papa, much better?”

Graham took the paper and carefully looked at the uneven loops and errant squiggles. It was better but certainly not fluid. “Looks like you’re getting the hang of it,” he said. “You’re doing a good job.”

“It gets easier with practice,” Button grinned. “Can I color now?”

“Sure. Let’s just check and see what Mrs. Daubert said needs to be finished.

Emily Daubert was Button’s individualized education plan coordinator. When the parents and teachers sit down to create a plan, they take into consideration what areas a child struggles with. For Button, math was his strong suit. He had no problem keeping up. Reading wasn’t a big concern though they were monitoring that closely. Button’s vocabulary was very good. His knowledge and use of words was quite good. But his writing was terrible. He couldn’t form the letters well and his fine motor skills were lacking.

As Graham looked over the plans in the folder, he saw Emily had included coloring as a practice set for Button. Rather than mention that little tidbit, Graham smiled at his little boy and closed the folder.

“Which coloring book do you want?” he asked looking through several.

“I wanna do Bugs Bunny,” Button said decisively. “You like Bugs right Papa?”

“I love Bugs. He’s my favorite.”

“Mine too,” Button said and started looking through the coloring book for a picture to decorate. He settled on one with Elmer Fudd looking surprised at Bugs popping out of a hole with a carrot in one hand.

“This one,” Button said to himself and started coloring the carrot with a purple crayon. It was hard for him to keep in the lines and scribbled outside them so the carrot was beginning to resemble a very hairy eggplant instead.

Graham never said a word and returned to the pot of soup he was making.

***************************

Graham pulled the peach pie out of the oven and put it on a trivet. He was a little surprised Craig wasn’t back yet. Maybe something had come up at the store. Perhaps he should call. He went into the living room to retrieve his phone and heard sniffling coming from Button’s room.

“Can I come in?” he said after knocking. He heard no reply. “Button, are you okay?”

Graham walked in and sitting on the edge of his bed, the young boy was wiping away tears. “What’s wrong honey?” he asked sitting next to him.

Button just shrugged and another sob came out. “Nuffin,” he answered.

“Do you wanna talk about it?” Graham asked putting his arm around his shoulders. “Sometimes that helps.”

Button leaned into his father’s embrace and Graham could feel another hiccup of sadness.

“Papa? Why is everything so hard for me?”

Graham’s throat closed up at the question.

“I mean, everyone else seems to do things better. When I do stuff it just takes me so long,” Button said softly. “It’s not fair.”

“No,” Graham croaked out. “It’s not fair. Not at all. But, you will find something that you are better at than anyone else.”

“Like what?” Button asked but his eyes looked hopeful.

“Oh I don’t know. You may be a great painter or cook or really good at checkers or something,” Graham said trying to think of something to make Button feel better. He hated lying to him but something encouraging would be helpful.

“I know one thing you’re better at than anyone else,” Graham said.

“What?” Button said still looking up at him. “What am I better at?”

“You are the best little boy your dad and I could ever have,” Graham said. “Make sure you never forget that. Being good at loving people is important too. Sometimes we forget that.”

“Papa, that’s nice,” Button said and hugged Graham tightly. “You’re the best Papa anyone could ever have too.”

“Thanks Button. Now, let’s watch a movie or something before Daddy gets home from the store,” Graham said tousling his hair.

“Okay,” Button said. “Can we watch ‘Lilo and Stitch’?

“Sure buddy. Come on,” Graham said. It seemed the storm had passed. Button appeared to have accepted Graham’s idea. That was a relief.

*************************

“Can I talk to my Button?” the high squeaky distressed voice asked.

“Of course honey. Are you okay?” Craig asked.

“I need to talk to my Button,” Sarah choked.

Craig quickly made his way to the living room and waved at his son. Button got up from the couch and walked over to his room. Craig handed him the phone and mouthed, ‘it’s your sister’ to him. Button grinned and took the phone.

“Hello?”

Graham paused the movie and looked at Craig with raised eyebrows.

“It’s Sarah and she’s been crying. I think it may have happened again,” Craig whispered to Graham.

In the past two years since Tessa and Sarah came into their lives, on occasion the little girl would call and tell her brother grandma wouldn’t wake up. That was her way of saying Tessa was drunk and passed out. Button had gotten so upset they went over to be with Sarah. Tessa was indeed completely unconscious and Craig and Graham would bring the little girl back home with them for a sleep over. After the first couple of times, Sarah would call for “her Button” whenever that kind of situation occurred. Otherwise the little girl just asked for her brother. It was some kind of stress thing.

Button came out of the bedroom really upset. Graham was the first to say something to him.

“What’s going on with Sarah?”

“Grandma T didn’t come home,” Button said. “Sarah is really scared.”

“What does she mean, ‘didn’t come home’ Button? How long has she been gone? Craig asked. This was a new scenario and one that was far more serious.

“Sarah said two days. She’s hungry and really scared Daddy,” Button said and looked worried. “Can we go get her, please?”

Graham and Craig couldn’t answer fast enough. They put their coats on and jumped in the car. When they arrived at Tessa and Sarah’s house, there was a woman standing at the door knocking. As the three of them approached, they realized she was also talking to Sarah.

“Please let me in. I’m here to help you,” she said. The woman had on a long tan coat and was wearing boots. She was holding a slim, soft sided briefcase. The woman seemed officious somehow.

“No! Grandma said not to let anyone in I don’t know,” they heard Sarah squeal. She sounded petrified.

“That’s my sister in there,” Button yelled at the woman. She turned around startled.

“Are one of you her father?” she asked looking first at Craig, then at Graham.

Craig answered first. “No but it’s my little boy’s half-sister. Who are you?”

Graham piped in angrily. “You’re scaring her, yelling through the door like that.”

“I’m trying to help her,” the woman said looking from face to face. “I’m Stephanie Meyer from the county. Her grandmother was in an accident and they sent me to get her. I was just trying to get her to open the door.”

“Leave her alone,” Button shouted, his face was red with fury. “That’s my sister,” he said again.

“Well, if there’s family then we can certainly handle this differently. Tessa Corrigan is badly injured and won’t be able to take care of her for a while,” she said. “I’m sorry, and you are?”

They introduced themselves and explained the relationship between Craig, Graham, Button, and Sarah. Once the woman, who informed them she was a social worker, understood they were basically her next of kin, she relaxed a little.

“During the interview with Ms. Corrigan, she said there was no family to contact,” she explained. “But, she’s in a lot of pain and with the detox…um. Anyway, can you get Sarah to open the door? I don’t see why she can’t go home with you today. We’ll have to make longer term arrangements eventually though.”

They all agreed it was best for Sarah to go home with Craig, Graham, and Button. She gave them her card and Graham wrote down their information on the intake sheet.

Sarah, however, was a wreck until ‘her Button’ was at her side and hugging her. She calmed down quickly once he started telling her everything was fine and that she’d be coming home with them. Then, they could go see Grandma T together. The social worker was pretty impressed.

“I have to say, siblings are usually consoling to one another but there’s something special in this bond.”

“Their mother died and they only met two years ago,” Craig said. “We try to get them together when we can. They’re very close now.”

“I’m glad you were here,” the social worker said. “I was afraid this was going to become a bigger problem.”

“We came as soon as Sarah called her brother,” Graham said.

“Ah,” she said. “Something like this happened before, hasn’t it?”

Both men nodded solemnly. The mention of detox the social worker had let slip gave them the other reason for the visit. The state was stepping in to take Sarah from Tessa. Whatever it was that had happened, it was bad enough for the county to act. Craig and Graham both shuddered at the thought, for Sarah’s sake.

************

The next day, after Sarah had been fed and had a good night’s sleep, the four of them headed to Hennepin County Medical Center to see Tessa.

They were a bit surprised to see her sitting up in bed and smiling. There was a bandage on her head and her arm was in a sling. Other than that, she didn’t look too banged up.

“Tessa, we were so worried,” Craig said after Button and Sarah had given her hugs and kisses. Sarah was lying next to her, grasping her arm tightly.

“I fell asleep at the wheel and hit a sign,” she said looking at Sarah and mouthing ‘not now.’

They chatted for a few minutes until Sarah got tired of lying on the bed and climbed down. She took Button’s hand pulling him toward the door. “Grandma said they have toys out there. Let’s see what they’ve got.”

Graham followed and Craig stayed to talk with Tessa. She waited a few moments then patted the bed beside her.

“I really screwed it up this time,” Tessa said. “Craig, I don’t know what to do. I got so drunk and then ran into a park sign, you know, one of those log cabin looking ones. The only reason I know what happened is the police came by this morning and told me. I’m in deep.”

“Sarah can stay with us as long as you need,” Craig assured her. “Graham and I already discussed it so that’s not something you need to worry about.”

“I didn’t want to impose. That’s why I didn’t tell the social worker about you guys and Button,” she said with sparkling tears in her eyes. She took a moment to muse then nodded. “Of course. Sarah will be happier with her brother than at a foster home.”

“Tessa, there’s something else,” Craig began. He didn’t know exactly how to say it without offending her, but Graham had insisted. Graham had been very right to voice his concerns about her drinking given what Tessa had just confessed to him.

“What is it?” she asked. “I don’t know if they’ll be dragging me to jail or anything but you never know.”

“Tessa, maybe you need to get help, you know, with your drinking,” Craig said haltingly. “I’m really not prying it’s just, well, you have a problem with it.”

At first Tessa looked furious, but then her features calmed. She turned and looked at her arm. “Craig, I know.”

The two sat in uncomfortable silence, Craig wondering if she’d suddenly lash out, Tessa measuring her courage. In the end, a nurse came in and gave her a pill and the uneasiness faded.

“I just can’t look at that sweet innocent little girl and not think of Aimee,” she said finally after the nurse left. “It pains me so. I get this horrible feeling and nothing, and I mean nothing helps but having a few drinks to dull the ache. It isn’t possible to describe how losing your child rips your soul to shreds.”

Craig nodded, thinking if he lost Button his life would cease to have much meaning. Sure, Graham and he were happy and they had a new business but without that little boy, his little boy, it would seem empty.

“I understand but I think it’s gonna kill you if you don’t stop. Maybe they’ll give you some help so Aimee’s loss isn’t so hard on you,” Craig said. He was intensely uncomfortable. The last thing he considered himself was a counselor but there must be something they could do to ease the woman’s pain.

Craig considered if he should say the next sentence and decided he must. “Don’t you want to see Sarah and Button as they grow up? Don’t you wanna go to a hockey game or a dance recital and see them? Tessa, it’s none of my business, I know, but they’ll miss you if you do this again and die.”

Tessa had been looking at Craig but as he spoke she looked away, her eyes gazing far beyond the room. The sparkle of tears had returned and after a long pause, she cleared her throat.

“You’re right. I need to get myself together. What do I do about Sarah in the meantime? She’s only six and I don’t want her bouncing from foster home to foster home. That would kill me.”

“I already told you, she can stay with us. That isn’t a problem. We can enroll Sarah in Button’s school and when you get yourself together, she can go back to live with you,” Craig said. “I mean it.”

“What about Graham? Aimee already burdened your guy with one child. Now I’m doing the same with another,” Tessa was now openly weeping. “I’m just such a failure. First with my own child and now with hers too.”

Craig stood up and moved closer. “Tessa, Graham loves Button and he adores Sarah. We’ve already discussed it and he’s on board. I think secretly he wants a little girl to dress up and have a tea party with.”

Tessa laughed through the tears as Craig winked at her. “Are you sure about this?”

“We’re very sure,” Craig said. “Just get yourself better and we’ll visit often, if that’s okay?”

Tessa thanked him and Craig went to get the others to say goodbye. Sarah had a hard time letting go of her grandma’s hand but after Button took her other one, she was able.

***************

“Shush, Craig, come here and listen,” Graham said at the crack of the spare bedroom, now Sarah’s room.

“What?” Craig asked.

“Just listen,” Graham whispered.

Sarah was crying and Button was trying to make her feel better. He held her hand and patted her shoulder. Then he hugged her.

“Button, I’ve never had a daddy and now I have two. What if I don’t like it?” she sniffed.

“Sarah, Daddy and Papa are really nice. It’s good to have two dads. You’ll see,” Button assured her.

Sarah looked doubtful but she trusted him. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, like when Papa isn’t looking, Daddy lets me have extra ice cream,” he said proudly. “And when we have broccoli Daddy hides it in his napkin so I don’t have to eat it.”

“Really? That doesn’t sound too bad,” Sarah said warming to the idea.

“And when Daddy stubs his toe on my toys and yells, Papa helps me pick them up so I don’t get in trouble,” Button said solemnly. “Oh, and Papa never, ever complains if I wanna watch the same movie over again. He’s really nice too.”

“That doesn’t sound bad,” Sarah said. “Will they do that for me too?”

“Of course,” Button said. “They like you a lot. ‘Sides, you’re my sister and I’ll watch out for you.”

“I like that,” Sarah said. ‘Maybe living here wouldn’t be so bad after all. With mommy gone and grandma hurt, at least she’d have her Button.’

**********************

Later that night, Button lay in bed and thought about Sarah. He’d have to be extra nice to her since Grandma T. was hurt. Then something occurred to him. Maybe his special gift, the thing he could do better than anyone else, was to be Sarah’s big brother. He was already good at that and didn’t even need practice. Button fell asleep with the feeling he was finally good at something, something that mattered.

Next up, Button is in a school pageant and we meet someone who isn't very nice to him. Grrrr!
Copyright © 2014 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

As always another heartwarming and gut wrenching chapter, u have a way of twisting emotions into a pile of goo and then pulling out a heartwarming feel good smile that keeps the reader asking " whats gonna happpen next"

 

thanks for writing this story and sharing it with us

Bob

Link to comment

A wonderful chapter. Button tries so hard and is such a beautiful person. I'm not surprised Sarah ended up with them and I see all five of them becoming even more of a family unit.

Link to comment

Love this story. Love Button and his dads. So much of life is sen through them. A have a young autistic grandson, and I am in constant awe of him. He is also a remarkable little guy

Link to comment
On 04/21/2014 12:07 AM, fiedlerbob101 said:
As always another heartwarming and gut wrenching chapter, u have a way of twisting emotions into a pile of goo and then pulling out a heartwarming feel good smile that keeps the reader asking " whats gonna happpen next"

 

thanks for writing this story and sharing it with us

Bob

Thank you so much Bob. Such encouraging words. That is what I'm trying to do and it seems it's working. I really appreciate this.
Link to comment
On 04/21/2014 12:16 AM, avidreadr said:
A wonderful chapter. Button tries so hard and is such a beautiful person. I'm not surprised Sarah ended up with them and I see all five of them becoming even more of a family unit.
Thanks Avid! Yeah, Sarah is really part of the family now. Button does try hard and while there are lots of big things coming up, he's got great support.
Link to comment
On 04/21/2014 03:40 AM, Quiet man said:
Love this story. Love Button and his dads. So much of life is sen through them. A have a young autistic grandson, and I am in constant awe of him. He is also a remarkable little guy
Thanks so much Quiet! I worked with autistic kids in college and they do offer so very much. They have some great perspectives that can be easily missed. He's lucky to have a grandfather who recognizes that. :)
Link to comment

Thank you for writing this very realistically. I enjoy your insight into IEPs and how Button's prenatal history changed him. I'm glad his grandma is getting help and it's about time Sarah came to the household.

I don't think Button will ever be a superstar athlete, but I'm still hopeful that he'll be able to live a mostly normal life with the early intervention he's had. As for the bully, I hope that Button's dads can stop themselves from going angry papa-bear on them and the bully learns something.

Link to comment

Such a sad chapter, Tessa is drinking too much and missing an opportunity to enjoy her life with Sarah. Hopefully after getting some help, she´ll be feeling better about her life and can be a better granny to Sarah and Button. I´m sure Sarah will love living with Button and his dads as much as Button loves having his sister with them.

Loved Button´s thoughts at the end. He´s absolutely adorable little boy and has so much love to give.

Link to comment
On 04/21/2014 01:41 PM, Rebelghost85 said:
Thank you for writing this very realistically. I enjoy your insight into IEPs and how Button's prenatal history changed him. I'm glad his grandma is getting help and it's about time Sarah came to the household.

I don't think Button will ever be a superstar athlete, but I'm still hopeful that he'll be able to live a mostly normal life with the early intervention he's had. As for the bully, I hope that Button's dads can stop themselves from going angry papa-bear on them and the bully learns something.

Thanks Rebelghost! Most of the kids I have worked with have thrived. Early help and hard work matter. I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Lots more to come.
Link to comment
On 04/21/2014 03:38 PM, Suvitar said:
Such a sad chapter, Tessa is drinking too much and missing an opportunity to enjoy her life with Sarah. Hopefully after getting some help, she´ll be feeling better about her life and can be a better granny to Sarah and Button. I´m sure Sarah will love living with Button and his dads as much as Button loves having his sister with them.

Loved Button´s thoughts at the end. He´s absolutely adorable little boy and has so much love to give.

Thanks Suvitar! It is sad but she is getting help. I have a feeling once she's settled in Sarah and Button will get along as well as can be expected. :)
Link to comment

So nice that Button understands that everybody is good at something. And loving someone is is the best quality you can have.

Link to comment
On 04/22/2014 12:55 AM, sleepie said:
So nice that Button understands that everybody is good at something. And loving someone is is the best quality you can have.
Thanks for the review. Yeah it is easy to forget that care for others is really a talent as well. :)
Link to comment

I did so enjoy the little sharing between Button and Sarah and his encouragement to her. What a laugh! And the dads listening in! A beautiful touch of humor to lighten the sadness of grannie's plight. Hope she manages to deal with this and live to enjoy her grandchildren. Sarah is in a good place with Button and his dads. Thanks for a beautiful story.

Link to comment
On 07/16/2014 03:04 AM, Jaro_423 said:
I did so enjoy the little sharing between Button and Sarah and his encouragement to her. What a laugh! And the dads listening in! A beautiful touch of humor to lighten the sadness of grannie's plight. Hope she manages to deal with this and live to enjoy her grandchildren. Sarah is in a good place with Button and his dads. Thanks for a beautiful story.
Thanks Jaro! I loved writing that scene. It is something that reveals much of their characters I hope. They have their conflicts though as siblings should. :)
Link to comment

Just a quick review because I am so sleepy. I think having a sibling with him everyday will bring out more in Button...he seems to recognize his importance to Sarah and thus has something more to strive for. I love this little guy...and his dads are bad either...cheers and good night...Gary

Link to comment
On 09/27/2014 03:05 PM, Headstall said:
Just a quick review because I am so sleepy. I think having a sibling with him everyday will bring out more in Button...he seems to recognize his importance to Sarah and thus has something more to strive for. I love this little guy...and his dads are bad either...cheers and good night...Gary
Thanks Gary! Sarah definitely brings another element into

Button's life. I'm glad you are loving on him and Craig and Graham. They are good people doing their best. I appreciate this look back. It's fun for me.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..