Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dinner is Prompt-ly at Eight - 10. A Body in the Library

Donnie Malone was given an offer he almost couldn't refuse. He became 'the beard' for a wealthy lesbian heiress. Donnie thought life would be boring and barren. It isn't.

A Body in the Library - Prompt #372

“Wait. You want me to do what now?”

“You need to come with us sir. There are more questions and we need to take a formal statement.”

“I don’t understand,” Donnie said frantically looking around him. “I don’t know anything. More importantly, who is that woman?”

The police woman shook her head at him. Her grasp on his forearm was forceful and determined as he was led to the police car outside his front door. Well, it wasn’t really his front door. It was his wife’s front door and speaking of, where was she?

*****

Donnie Malone looked around the police interrogation room in a bewildered state of mind. The events of only an hour ago seemed so unlikely, especially for someone like him. He’d never had a run in with the police, well once at a college kegger he’d snuck into, but that was it. Donnie had never even gotten a traffic ticket. His life was clean as a whistle and yet here he was in a police station waiting for someone to tell him what was going on.

“Here’s your coffee Mr. Malone,” the police woman who brought him here said. She set the paper cup of brownish, not so clear liquid in front of him. Next to it, she tossed a little plastic baggie with a packet of sugar, a sleeve of non-dairy creamer, and a napkin. He wanted to thank her, that courtesy was built into his psyche, but he didn’t really want to. Part of him was rather angry at their rude treatment of him. This woman, her badge said, “Karen Slayton” had rolled her eyes at his perfectly reasonable questions.

“I still don’t know what I’m doing here,” Donnie said, ripping open the baggie. “Who was that woman? I need to call my wife.”

Officer Slayton sighed. She looked over behind her. Donnie followed her eyes and saw two men in the corner. Both of them were rather heavy set, looking at them with their arms crossed with looks of thunder on their brows.

“This will be easier if you answer my questions first, Mr. Malone,” the cop said, quickly tapping something into her laptop. “To begin, where were you earlier today, before you came home?”

“I was at my tailor’s getting some suits altered. Cagney, that’s our driver, took me at one pm to Kim’s shop and then he drove me to Beacon’s for some lunch. I ate alone then Cagney brought me back home. I guess it would have been about three o’clock or something,” Donnie answered. He was trying hard to be precise and not whine.

“You got home and did what?” she asked, looking at him suspiciously. Donnie could see the two men were also glaring at him.

“I had a little headache so I went to the kitchen, took some aspirin, and laid down in the family room on the couch. I dozed for a little bit until the cuckoo clock struck four. I remember it was four o’clock because that’s when my favorite program is on, ‘Judge Judy’. I hate to miss it and…”

“Okay, that’s enough. Four pm you wake up and then what?” Slayton asked him, her voice was rough, troubled.

“I went to the library and that’s when I saw her. It was quite the shock. Do you know who she is?” Donnie said, remembering it with a shiver. It’s not every day you walk into a room and see a woman in a pale blue silky evening gown lying with a huge red splat in the middle of her chest. She had long, blonde, flowing hair that had spread around her head like a halo. Her face looked peaceful, with a little smile on her bright red ruby lips. There was something wrong with her shoes. They were sneakers of some type. She was a lovely, young, twenty-something woman with a darling figure.

Donnie had never seen her before in his life.

“Are you really continuing that façade, Mr. Malone,” the police woman asked with a sigh. “We know who you are, who she is, we’re trying to figure out why you did it.”

“What does that mean?” Donnie asked. “Who is she? What are you implying?” He suddenly felt as if the room shifted 90 degrees and he was in serious trouble. Donnie swallowed and placed his trembling hand on the desk. “I need to call my wife, right away.”

The police woman looked at him with disgust. “You’re joking right?”

“What is there to joke about? You’ve practically accused me of murder and I need to call my wife and get an attorney. I’m very confused about this whole thing. I find a total stranger lying dead on my library hearth rug and call the police and now you think I did it.” Donnie took a breath and opened his mouth again. “Please let me call her.”

“Mr. Malone. I don’t know what your game is. That is your wife. Your butler found you standing over her body. We don’t know what you did with the gun, but you have blood on your coat sleeves,” she said, a look of revulsion was plastered on her ruddy face.

Donnie’s mouth dropped open. “That’s not my wife. I’ve never seen her before in my life.”

“Your servant told us she was Kevyn Ruth Woodsman Malone, your wife,” Slayton said, suddenly looking more confused than disgusted.

“I should know my own wife, I would think. That isn’t Kevyn. Kevyn weighs about fifty pounds more than her, at least ten years older if not more, is shorter, and wouldn’t be caught dead in a silk evening gown,” Donnie sputtered in shock. “That’s not Kevyn.”

“It’s not?” a masculine voice asked behind him. One of the men had approached and leaned in close. “How curious.”

“I’m telling you, that is not the woman I married,” Donnie said, his face turning red in fury. “Where’s Fahd? Why would he say something this strange?”

The police woman stopped tapping on the computer keys. The man behind him who simply reeked of cigarettes and coffee backed away. “I’m sorry sir. Who’s Fahd?” Slayton asked.

“Our butler,” Donnie said looking back and forth between them. “Fahd is our butler.”

“Mr. Malone, isn’t your butler’s name, Severance?” the man asked, once again approached. Donnie winced at the smell of him so close.

“No. Our butler’s name is Fahd. I need to call my…” Donnie didn’t really know how to finish his statement. His whole world was ripped into pieces. He didn’t know what was happening to him.

What is going? We'll have to wait until Comicfan prompts us with something to continue this tale of confusion, mystery, and intrigue.
Copyright © 2017 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

Such intrigue! Poor Donnie must think he's going insane! Great job, Cole :) I can't wait for more!

Link to comment
On 11/22/2014 02:12 AM, Valkyrie said:
Such intrigue! Poor Donnie must think he's going insane! Great job, Cole :) I can't wait for more!
Thanks Val! Who knows what's coming next. Not me that's for sure! Haha!
Link to comment

Oh, up to me is it? Hmm. I have forgotten what prompts I have written til the end of the year. Hopefully something tickles your interest and you finish this little tale. :lol:

Link to comment
On 11/22/2014 03:14 AM, comicfan said:
Oh, up to me is it? Hmm. I have forgotten what prompts I have written til the end of the year. Hopefully something tickles your interest and you finish this little tale. :lol:
Im sure i'll find a way to make it work. That is half the fun.
Link to comment
On 11/22/2014 06:43 AM, Irritable1 said:
Awww, poor Colonel Bantry! Surely he's got a Dolly to rescue him from false accusations! Come on, Cole...
I knew someone would get that! I love that scene and couldn't resist. Hey, prompts are for having a little fun and stretching our imaginations. We will see what comes up! Thanks Irri. ;)
Link to comment
On 11/22/2014 09:37 PM, Carlos Hazday said:
I volunteer to go beat up the mean woman cop. And why is the theme from the Twilight Zone playing in the background?
Haha! Thanks Carlos! I don't think she intends to be mean. There won't be any tricks, magic or weird science to this. At least I hope I don't have to go all Stephen King and have dancing alen Bears solve the problem. :)
Link to comment

So here I am on a nice, cold sunny Sunday morning thinking about getting my bike out after breakfast and before the formula one car race starts and has there not been a pormpt story I wanted to read? And the woosh Donnie is in an alternate universe. At least it feels like that. Is this a 'Fringe' show I missed? So intriguing Cole. I just hope you'll find something that triggers your mind next Friday.

Link to comment
On 11/23/2014 08:25 PM, aditus said:
So here I am on a nice, cold sunny Sunday morning thinking about getting my bike out after breakfast and before the formula one car race starts and has there not been a pormpt story I wanted to read? And the woosh Donnie is in an alternate universe. At least it feels like that. Is this a 'Fringe' show I missed? So intriguing Cole. I just hope you'll find something that triggers your mind next Friday.
Haha! Donnie's universe is in a different place than he thought. We are still in this world however. I'm practicing a little. Stretching my artistic legs and seeing what I can do with Donnie. We've visited Agatha now. Let's see about another great! :) thanks Addy!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..