Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Art of Being Gay - 9. Person of Letters

"What fresh hell is this?" - Dorothy Parker

Person of Letters

Chad looked down at the crumpled letter. He'd read the stupid thing ten times at least and still didn't really know what it meant. It seemed genuine and heartfelt, but the harsh stings of the tone of the writer’s prior spoken words had tainted its reading. Such an apology seemed suspect given the nature of their tenuous relationship and strained past. He started reading it again trying to extract the sentiment from between the lines.

Chad,

I hope you will give me a chance to explain. Right now I imagine you want to throw this away unread, but I need to tell you this. My conscience has been pinging at me constantly since we last saw each other. It is obvious to me, only now, that I treated you horribly and it's no wonder you left.

First, I must admit I'm a coward, through and through. When you had your troubles, I panicked. You needed a friend and I turned my back on you. That wasn't acceptable and I'm ashamed of my behavior. You deserved so much better. I couldn't get past my own issues, which is not your fault. I took it out on you. That wasn't fair.

Next, allies and friends should be given the benefit of the doubt. I jumped to some rather nasty conclusions and condemned you without hesitation. That was also wrong and I'm paying the price with sleepless nights and regrets. I know that is no solace to you, but I have to show my contrition. In order to ask for forgiveness, a soul must concede its transgressions.

Finally, I ask that we meet and talk. I want to hear your side of the story. You owe me nothing especially given the words I used against you, but I have to ask. Thanksgiving is coming up and with any luck, you will be coming home to hearth and family. We can meet at your convenience and I will be there with an open mind.

I beg your forgiveness,

Your friend,

Silas

Chad folded the letter with some disgust. Whatever Morgan thought the letter would accomplish, it wouldn’t work. The English teacher had made his position clear and no amount of begging would change that. They weren't friends in the first place. Calling them allies was stretching the word beyond normal usage. It didn't change anything. If Silas Morgan thought a nicely worded letter that said things that read as sterile as a fucking steer, he had another thing coming. He didn’t need Morgan then and especially not now.

Betrayal was a sin, Silas' own characterization of his actions, and that wasn't forgiven lightly. Once any trust is shattered, if it's glued back together like a broken Waterford crystal decanter, it won't hold water ever again. Chad's cold remembrance of that night burned within him. Stuffing the letter in his back pocket, he pulled out a tattered roll of Tums and pulled one from the shredded paper. Thinking better of it, he thumbed one more off the roll and chomped them with bitterness. Their chalkiness did little to erase the bitter bile bubbling within his gut.

Chad threw the last of his freshly laundered and folded clothes in the old, scarred bureau, shutting the drawer most of the way shut. Without a handle, it was too hard to open if you fully closed it. He swore at the eyesore and slammed his fist on top of it. The surface made his knuckles sting, but it felt good. Sometimes a little pain of the flesh eased the stabbing thud of his heavy heart. He stood there for a minute fighting back tears he couldn’t seem to stop. That’s when he heard the tingle of his phone. He swore at it, looking at the caller ID. It was fucking work.

"Hello," Chad answered as nicely as he could.

"Sorry to bother you on your day off, but the lift isn't working and the driver is pissed as hell. Peterson has tried to get it to work but it won't move. The motor turns on and the platform just sits there without budging." It was Madeline. Roy hadn't even bothered to call Chad himself. It had been a week since Justin left and his boss hadn't said more than two words to him since then. Every time Chad approached, Roy ran and hid or rushed him to one side. It made the mechanic feel terrible. It was obvious Roy felt used after they borrowed his house last weekend. What Chad couldn't understand was that Roy insisted and had been a part of their fun the whole time.

Just like with Silas, Chad must have misread signals and botched up things. He really couldn't figure out what he'd done wrong in either case, but it was undoubtedly his fault. It was making him feel like crap.

"I'm not doing anything right now Maddie. I'll be there in five minutes. Tell the driver to grab a coffee and settle down." Chad realized his voice sounded strained. Madeline didn't seem to notice.

"Thanks Chad. I owe you one." She hung up.

He threw on a hoodie and stepped into his boots. With luck, he'd have the lift fixed and could escape without seeing Roy. Having his boss ignore and avoid him was too much, especially after rereading that damned letter. God, he hated people sometimes. They expected so much and had so little compassion, unless it suited their needs.

**********
"What are you doing here?" Peterson asked, and though his voice had a hint of annoyance, underneath was the distinct sense of relief. "I think I figured out the problem. The motor seized."

Chad grunted and looked at the side rollers and pulled off the guards. "Madeline called. The chains came off. We just need to guide them back onto the cogs."

Peterson groaned in relief. "I didn't check that."

"It's okay," Chad said giving him a false smile. "This will only take a moment and we can get the truck on its way."

Peterson watched as the mechanic moved the chain over a half an inch and slowly hand spun the sprocket. He stepped over to the opposite side and did the same. After reengaging the catches, Chad turned the motor on low. With a click and a snap, the platform rose slowly. After the lift reached the top of the cylinder, he reversed it. The motor purred smoothly as it descended.

"I should have known," Peterson said shaking his head. "What would we do without you?"

"Wait for Neville Brothers to show up," Chad chuckled, though Peterson could hear a bit of sadness in his response. "It should work fine now. Want some help unloading the truck so the driver doesn’t have another meltdown?"

"You can go. Roy didn't want you called in. I'm surprised he let Madeline bother you today. He was pretty firm that you shouldn't be bugged."

Chad stepped back and watched the lift move closer to the truck down the apron of the dock. "Has Roy been acting strange this past week? I mean, has he been upset or short with you or anything?"

"No," Peterson said walking the lift down to the open back of the truck. "Not to me at least. He's been quiet and shut away in the office a lot. I think quarterly reports are due or something."

Chad considered his next words carefully. Ever since the night of the male strippers when they played cards until the wee hours of the morning, the tension between him and Peterson had dissipated. He feared any questions could disrupt that delicate truce. "Has he said anything about me?"

"Other than to not bother you? No." Peterson's answer was direct and he looked at Chad quizzically. "Did something happen between you two?"

Chad heard a little tension in the question. "No. We had a great weekend hanging out with my son and his girlfriend. I thought it went well."

"Oh," was all Peterson said. "I'm sure it's all in your head then."

"Probably," Chad answered. "I'm heading back to my room."

Peterson watched as the other man left. The usual spring in his stride was missing. He dragged his feet like a defeated athlete after a game. Both sadness and questioning seemed to weigh down each step.

*******
"I told you not to call him," Roy barked at Madeline. He was standing in the general office area overlooking the store. He watched as Chad slowly trod out the side door toward the parking lot. Roy couldn’t figure out why he looked so crushed and tired. Usually the guy was a tightly coiled spring of enthusiasm and optimism. Not today.

"It was him or a $500 service call that would have taken until tomorrow. We needed that shipment today, Roy." Madeline slowly gnawed on a celery stick, looking at him defiantly. "Why do you care? You didn't have to talk to him."

"He shouldn't be bothered on his day off. He has a lot to deal with," Roy snarled. " I should reprimand you."

"Go ahead," Madeline said. She popped the last of the snack into her mouth. "As a cause of action, make sure you write in, 'saved the store 500 bucks and a second delivery date for Christmas merchandise.' Oh, and under recommended remedial response, put 'was forced to change the store manager's diapers because he's acting like a pouting toddler."

Roy's face purpled with anger. " I may put ‘my assistant manager is a sarcastic little bitch who can't mind her own business’."

"Oh please," Madeline scoffed, waving a hand at him. "Your behavior is hardly secretive. I saw you actually run into a maintenance closet yesterday when Chad was walking towards you. Talk about obvious and pathetic."

"I was checking on supplies," Roy said. He looked at her defiantly. "I was doing my job."

"I watched you stand in a corner until the man left the rest room. You are avoiding him, Roy. Why?"

Roy saw Madeline was now on her feet with her arms akimbo, her face smug with the knowledge of his guilt. "He doesn't need me bugging him all the time."

"You're a piece of work," Madeline said. "Have you even talked to him?"

"About what? I've been busy and he has a family to worry about." Roy crossed his arms.

"Please," Madeline snorted. "Go back in your office and play Minesweeper or Candy Crush or something. Your delusions are giving me a headache."

Roy threw up his hands and went into his office slamming the door. Madeline grinned as she considered her next move. Roy was going through something he was obviously not ready to discuss. It was time to bring in the big guns. This was no time for games. Only the nuclear option would work on the man's rock hard head.

******
"That bitch!" Roy sputtered as his mother settled into the chair across from his and pushed papers to one side.

"Watch your language," Kendra said unfastening the ties on the picnic basket and opening up the two halves of the rattan cover. "I’m quite sure I don't know to whom you are referring."

"To whom? Mother, you don't talk that way unless you're about to give me a lecture."

"That’s nice dear. It seems you've met me before. Do you want roast beef or ham and Swiss?" Kendra asked sweetly, holding up one in each hand.

"That meddling, two faced cow," Roy said loudly, hoping said person could hear him through his heavy wooden door.

"When you were little, you only got mad at me when I was about to tell you something you didn't want to hear. You haven't changed much except you're bigger and less sneaky about it." Kendra placed the roast beef on a plate and pulled out a clear container. "How about some cole slaw?”


"I don't want lunch. I want to strangle a certain coworker who I should fire with cause."

"What would that cause be, dear? Not putting up with a sulking boss who is pretending he doesn't want to go out and play? Really, Roy. Stop acting so childish. It isn't becoming." Kendra scooped some slaw next to the roast beef and placed a pickle from a small Baggie next to it all.

Roy scowled and pulled the plate towards him. "You don't understand and it's none of your business."

"You're right," Kendra answered him with a smile. "If you don't explain it to me, I won't understand. As far as it being my business, you're my son. That's reason enough."

Roy shook his head. There was nothing to explain. His feelings were muddled, confused, and sometimes something bubbled to the surface that was wrong on all levels. That much he knew. His clarified moments of understanding weren't acceptable, not for a professional. It was easier to stay away and let them settle to the bottom of his being.

"Why are you so withdrawn?" His mother asked softly. "You are never this way, Roy. Even when you’d split from one of the beautiful losers, you’d recover within a day or two. This scares me a little."

Roy took a bite of his sandwich. It gave him a minute to decide what to say. His mother's eyes were on her meal but knowing her, there were stolen glimpses reading his face.

"I'm having feelings for an employee and I shouldn't," he said after swallowing his slowly chewed bite. "I feel guilty about it."

"Oh!" Kendra said in response. "Is that all?"

"I told you it was no big deal," Roy said. "I'm dealing with it as best I can."

"Does this guy know how you feel?" She asked. Her question and calmness infuriated him.

"Yes," Roy exclaimed expansively, throwing his hands in the air. "I went to his house and stood in the front yard with a boom box playing 'I Will Always Love You.' What do you think mother?"

"I think you use sarcasm as a shield when you're feeling vulnerable," she said. "I blame myself for giving you that Dorothy Parker biography when you were in high school all those years ago. Ever since then, you revert to snide quips when facing difficult situations."

Roy couldn't contain himself. He laughed out loud, his mother smirking at his twinkling eyes. "Remember when I got sent to the office when I told that cheerleader 'You can lead a hor-ti-culture but you can't make her think’?"

"I do," Kendra tried to look stern, but her upturned lips betrayed her. "That poor girl was in tears."

"She started it. She got all her friends to call me the Butt Burglar. It was payback," Roy snickered.

"If I recall, you were flirting with her boyfriend," Kendra said. "She knew you were after him."

"Jeremy Hightower was the cutest guy in my class. I was only a teenager," Roy giggled.

"Back to the subject in question," his mother said looking at Roy closely. "What is going on with you and that man?"

Roy shook his head and stuffed his mouth with slaw. He chewed slowly and thoughtfully as Kendra tapped her nails impatiently on the desk. "It's complicated," he finally said after swallowing.

"Try me," she said.

"I'm not sure he's ready for a relationship. When Justin was up last weekend, I could see how much his son means to him. He just got out of a messy marriage and…" Roy's voice trailed off. "I guess it has been a while though… "

"What has?" Kendra said pushing her barely touched plate to the side. She watched as her son’s face changed from a painful snarl to almost hopeful ease.

"I'd thought Chad had recently divorced Eileen, but Justin said it’s been seven years. It surprised me, that's all." Roy chewed thoughtfully on his thumbnail.

"Are you afraid to dip your toe in the water of another guy who is only now getting a grip on his sexuality?" Kendra asked. "At least I'd understand that."

"Maybe," Roy lied. The excitement newbies experienced had, at times, scared him. Chad didn’t seem the least bit pensive about his own sexual orientation. The man was nervous about how he should act, but in every case he'd taken to the situation without qualms or hesitation. At the drag show, he'd been more Chad not a different one. At the strip show, he'd been a happy participant. There was nothing really fearful about the man. He had the normal jitters of someone facing a new situation, but not the abject fear Roy had expected. Chad was nothing like those other men, what his mother called the ‘beautiful losers’.

Roy was actually more scared he'd fall for the guy and Chad would see him as a stepping stone into a new life. Instead of finding a partner, Roy would be the training wheels for yet another man moving from the closet to the board of the Pride Parade.

"My advice,” his mother said, interrupting his thoughts. "Is to get to know him better and then ask him out. You know, dating was invented for a reason other than to keep an eye on a woman's hymen. It was invented so people could get to know the other person before commitment."

Roy rolled his eyes. "Really, mother? A reference to a girl's virginity?

"I doubt any sexual comments I make could shock you, son. I was the unfortunate person who walked in on you and those other guys after your college graduation. If I can get past that little reenactment of Caligula's Bachelor Party, you can listen me talk about a woman’s virginity." Kendra's face was a little flushed but she looked more smug than embarrassed.

Roy's fifty shades of red left him speechless. That hadn't been his proudest moment. "I told you, I lost a bet and I don't want to ever talk about it again," he stuttered.

"Anyway, I think you should stop running away from him and tell him at least a little about how you feel. He deserves a chance," she said, flustered. "I bet he thinks he did something wrong."

Roy choked on his bite of his roast beef. That never even occurred to him. Chad's friendship had been so rock solid, he never considered how his behavior could have affected the man. "You think he's hurt by my issues?"

Kendra nodded. "But, enough about that. What should I get Tyrell and Hugo for a wedding present? I was thinking a nice silver cake knife etched with their initials. Does that sound good?"

Roy blinked at the sudden turn of the conversation. "I hadn't really thought about it. Is that on their gift registry?"

"I doubt it. It would make for a nice keepsake for the event, don't you think?"

The two of them chatted about the upcoming nuptials without commenting further on Roy's own dilemma. For that, the man was grateful. His mother cleaned up their picnic lunch and kissed him goodbye. Her final glance was one of concern, but they didn't speak of it again.

After finishing up another report, Roy garnered his courage and walked through his assistant's space into the open office overlooking the sales room floor. His hope that Madeline had returned downstairs was dashed. She was sitting at a computer entering something and didn't pause when he entered the room. Maddie might be tapping away at the keyboard, but he could tell she noticed him walk in.

"Remind me to pay you back for calling in my fucking mother," he said, trying to sound angry. He realized it actually came out a little whiny.

"I will," she answered without looking at him. "I like lilies, not roses. You know my favorite color."

Roy wanted to snarl a comeback, but he couldn't. He kept seeing Chad's hangdog face in his mind, looking lost and lonely.

"You know I hate you," he said opening the door to the stairwell.

"I know," she said brightly. "You will thank me someday."

Roy shook his head, but hoped she was right.

*********
"Hey Chadder, it's Roy. I wanted to thank you for fixing that lift this afternoon."

"You're welcome," The mechanic answered warily. Roy could hear the man change the phone to his other ear.

"How's your week been?" Roy asked as happily as he could. Hearing Chad's reticence pierced his guts like Supersonic Wings from Kelsey's Pub over in Dinkytown. They stabbed and burned all the way down.

"Okay, I guess," the man answered. "Thanks again for having us over last weekend. Maybe I didn't say it-"

"You thanked me plenty, Chad," Roy said, taking a deep breath. He smiled into the phone and recited his rehearsed speech. "I've been a little out of it, I know. Sorry about that. It's just, I had such a good time with you and your son and I, well, I got a little mixed up about things. It wasn't anything you did. I'm a bit of a drama queen at times."

The sigh of relief was audible even over the phone. Chad gushed, "I thought we pissed you off or-".

"No, Chad. It was all me and my issues," Roy said firmly.

"Oh," was all Chad said. "As long as we're still friends who can hang out."


"Of course," Roy answered. "Speaking of hanging out, are you ready for another lesson? I think it's time I took you to the Temple of the Gods." Roy contained his giggle. He'd just thought of it.

"Intriguing. I can’t help but wonder what that might be," Chad responded. "Is Peterson included in this outing too? I kind of promised him we'd keep him in mind."

Roy frowned. He wanted desperately to talk with Chad one on one and this would be the perfect place outside of work. There were plenty of quiet spaces where they wouldn't be overheard or interrupted. "I'm not sure Peterson would enjoy it."

"Roy, I told him we'd include him. I don't want to leave him out."

"Fine. You tell him and I'll make the arrangements." Roy started thinking about what he'd need to make this not seem insulting, especially to the pencil nosed geeky Peterson.

"Sounds great!" Chad said excitedly. "Oh, and Roy? Thanks for calling. I was concerned."

"Nothing to be worried about. We're buddies and I won’t let you down. I can be a little weird sometimes," Roy said. He could hear his voice shake a bit. He hoped the other man didn't notice.

"I'm glad," Chad said. "See you tomorrow."

"Yeah, tomorrow," Roy said. He needed a glass of water and maybe a cold shower.

Especially the cold shower.

The guys will be visiting the "Temple of the Gods" next. That should be fun!
Copyright © 2014 Cole Matthews; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 51
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A great chapter! You had me laughing at the image of Roy with his boombox playing "I Will Always Love You", and the intereaction with his mom was fun!

You did a great job showing a man hiding from his feelings behind humor. Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Link to comment

Roy-boy is falling! Too bad he balked when he realized it.

Well written and engaging. Cant wait for the next chapter.

Link to comment
On 10/18/2014 06:30 PM, Robert Rex said:
A great chapter! You had me laughing at the image of Roy with his boombox playing "I Will Always Love You", and the intereaction with his mom was fun!

You did a great job showing a man hiding from his feelings behind humor. Looking forward to the rest of the story!

Thanks Robert! I love having some fun with these characters! Glad you're enjoying it.
Link to comment
On 10/18/2014 10:45 PM, Kitt said:
Roy-boy is falling! Too bad he balked when he realized it.

Well written and engaging. Cant wait for the next chapter.

Thanks Kitt! Roy is definitely stumbling if not quite falling yet. The next chapter may be a bit naughty so stay tuned!
Link to comment

" That's nice dear. It seems you've met me before." I LOVE Kendra and I love the relationship her and Roy have...the dating..hymen comment...hilarious. It's amazing how stupid we adults can be about our feelings. Roy is an idiot, his own worst enemy but he is so lovable. He put himself on a path and stayed on it, like lots of us do, even though it wasn't what he really wanted. Now that he has figured that part out, when faced with what he does want, he runs like a scared rabbit, hurting Chad in the process. Fortunately he has people who care about him close at hand to put him on that path he does want. It is so frustrating but so human. Let's hope he doesn't make a habit of shooting himself in the foot. He doesn't want to get hurt again but he has to learn that without communicating, he is gonna get hurt anyway. The ones in the past have left, so what does he have to lose in a different approach. Maybe the real lesson in this story is that Roy is the student,not the teacher...or at least a combination of both...and he is learning the art of being gay from two straight women :o who are there to keep him on the right path :P .Kendra and Madelaine rock! P.S. I am falling for Chad too :*) . Great job once again Cole...cheers...Gary

Link to comment
On 10/19/2014 07:06 AM, Headstall said:
" That's nice dear. It seems you've met me before." I LOVE Kendra and I love the relationship her and Roy have...the dating..hymen comment...hilarious. It's amazing how stupid we adults can be about our feelings. Roy is an idiot, his own worst enemy but he is so lovable. He put himself on a path and stayed on it, like lots of us do, even though it wasn't what he really wanted. Now that he has figured that part out, when faced with what he does want, he runs like a scared rabbit, hurting Chad in the process. Fortunately he has people who care about him close at hand to put him on that path he does want. It is so frustrating but so human. Let's hope he doesn't make a habit of shooting himself in the foot. He doesn't want to get hurt again but he has to learn that without communicating, he is gonna get hurt anyway. The ones in the past have left, so what does he have to lose in a different approach. Maybe the real lesson in this story is that Roy is the student,not the teacher...or at least a combination of both...and he is learning the art of being gay from two straight women :o who are there to keep him on the right path :P .Kendra and Madelaine rock! P.S. I am falling for Chad too :*) . Great job once again Cole...cheers...Gary
I love it Gary! Three straight women advised Roy to face his reality, including Dorothy Parker. Hahaha! I think these changes to our view of the world and nature of love are rather difficult and jolting. Epiphanies are rare. I think he's getting it. Chad is facing the same kind of issues. They are stumbling in the dark, stubbing their toes, and hopefully learning their way to the light switch.

 

Thanks so much for such a insightful review. I love it!

Link to comment

Okay, I like Kendra some more now. But thinking a coworker of mine would call my mother! I would kill her, really! Jeez. LOL So Roy is moody? Hadn't thought. But I'm glad they worked it out. Great chapter.

Link to comment
On 10/20/2014 01:55 AM, aditus said:
Okay, I like Kendra some more now. But thinking a coworker of mine would call my mother! I would kill her, really! Jeez. LOL So Roy is moody? Hadn't thought. But I'm glad they worked it out. Great chapter.
Good! Kendra's pushy but she loves her son. Madeline has quite the history with Roy so she's a bit more than a coworker, I think. Thanks so much for the review, Addy! I'm glad you're enjoying it. ;)
Link to comment

Wonderful chapter!

Big sigh, thou, people need to talk more. Both Chad and Roy had a miserable week but things are looking better now.

Link to comment
On 10/21/2014 03:05 PM, Suvitar said:
Wonderful chapter!

Big sigh, thou, people need to talk more. Both Chad and Roy had a miserable week but things are looking better now.

We sometimes live in our heads too much. These men are inching toward a resolution. Thanks so much for the review Suvitar! I'm glad you're enjoying it!
Link to comment

 

Hearing Chad's reticence pierced his guts like Supersonic Wings from Kelsey's Pub over in Dinkytown. They stabbed and burned all the way down.

:lol:

I feel terrible for Chad, dealing with apparent betrayal on two sides. Not sure how to feel about Maddie and Kendra's connection... if they're so good at bossing Roy around, why isn't he all settled and happy?

Link to comment
On 10/24/2014 09:44 AM, Irritable1 said:

 

Hearing Chad's reticence pierced his guts like Supersonic Wings from Kelsey's Pub over in Dinkytown. They stabbed and burned all the way down.

:lol:

I feel terrible for Chad, dealing with apparent betrayal on two sides. Not sure how to feel about Maddie and Kendra's connection... if they're so good at bossing Roy around, why isn't he all settled and happy?

Even those with the most loving and supportive team can still screw things up! I doubt Maddie and Kendra are all that influential anyway! Hahaha! I think Chad is getting to a much better place than back in Council Bluffs. We're getting there, I hope!
Link to comment

So many great scenes all of them so well written. I'll just comment on the letter since it was the first one.

 

Not sure how you will deal with that thread but here are my 2 cents...

 

You lie to me or you cheat on me, trust is gone. How can I be certain it won't happen again? Don't let the door hit you on the ass...

 

Couple of years after graduation I was elected to the Executive Committee of my fraternity. I served for a few years as the only out gay member (3 closet cases). Made some great friends and lost some people I had been close with because of my sexuality. 20 years later I received a letter similar to the one in the story. Apologized and praised me for all my accomplishments and how impressed they had been to see me on a national newspaper. Someone told such letters are a requirement of 12-step programs and if so I hope they succeeded. I crumpled the letter and tossed it. After all, they had crumpled me and tossed me aside so it was just to repay them in kind.

Link to comment
On 11/07/2014 06:12 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
So many great scenes all of them so well written. I'll just comment on the letter since it was the first one.

 

Not sure how you will deal with that thread but here are my 2 cents...

 

You lie to me or you cheat on me, trust is gone. How can I be certain it won't happen again? Don't let the door hit you on the ass...

 

Couple of years after graduation I was elected to the Executive Committee of my fraternity. I served for a few years as the only out gay member (3 closet cases). Made some great friends and lost some people I had been close with because of my sexuality. 20 years later I received a letter similar to the one in the story. Apologized and praised me for all my accomplishments and how impressed they had been to see me on a national newspaper. Someone told such letters are a requirement of 12-step programs and if so I hope they succeeded. I crumpled the letter and tossed it. After all, they had crumpled me and tossed me aside so it was just to repay them in kind.

Thanks so much for the kind words Carlos. Its much appreciated. The story behind the letter is coming up in chapters not yet written. Youre catching up to my latest posting which is in a couple of hours. The story of Silas will be fleshed out in two parts. I think. Still not sure. Im writing it week by week so who knows!!! Thanks again.
Link to comment

Excellent chapter sounds like Silas has unresolved issues, may be with someone other than Chad, and feels he needs to resolve them but has no Idea how to do it, but they are somehow linked to Chad. I hope Chad stays away from his home town even if people there moved on with their anger and embarrassment with Chad and his ex wife. No good can come from going back. this story reminds me of some much younger teen boys even pre-teen stories that I have been reading because Roy's behavior is just like them almost like spoiled children being so afraid of love and a fear of what others will think or say, but the three women are guiding Roy in the right direction.

Link to comment
On 12/15/2014 02:56 PM, Ray169 said:
Excellent chapter sounds like Silas has unresolved issues, may be with someone other than Chad, and feels he needs to resolve them but has no Idea how to do it, but they are somehow linked to Chad. I hope Chad stays away from his home town even if people there moved on with their anger and embarrassment with Chad and his ex wife. No good can come from going back. this story reminds me of some much younger teen boys even pre-teen stories that I have been reading because Roy's behavior is just like them almost like spoiled children being so afraid of love and a fear of what others will think or say, but the three women are guiding Roy in the right direction.
You are very right Ray. When it comes to love and affairs of the heart we are all new at it. People who have been hurt are even more likely to be careful. Trust me. Older people are no better than younger ones at dealing with love. Roy does have friends watching his back. Thanks so much for a great review, Ray! :)
Link to comment

My "spidey sense" (thanks RR) hinted that the letter was from Silas.....and the plot thickens. Was laughing out loud, again....."I blame myself for giving you that Dorothy Parker biography when you were in high school all those years ago." and all the other zingers. Too funny.

Link to comment
On 01/05/2015 05:02 AM, charlieocho said:
My "spidey sense" (thanks RR) hinted that the letter was from Silas.....and the plot thickens. Was laughing out loud, again....."I blame myself for giving you that Dorothy Parker biography when you were in high school all those years ago." and all the other zingers. Too funny.
Haha! I'm glad you enjoy my silly humor! I love Parker and use her style of humor often. As a bartender for many years, her sarcasm was useful! Thanks for such wonderful comments Charlie! :)
Link to comment

"Yes," Roy exclaimed expansively, throwing his hands in the air. "I went to his house and stood in the front yard with a boom box playing 'I Will Always Love You.' What do you think mother?"

 

Oh man, this chapter was a laugh-a-minute, Cole! :rofl: I copied and pasted this particular line to remind myself to tell you that song is on the new country mash-up with 'Take me Home, Country Roads' by John Denver. I think Dolly Parton might sing some of 'I Will Always Love You.'

 

Anyhoo...the part where Kendra walked in on Roy with the other guys (!!!!) after college graduation really made me :lmao: !!!!! I'm really glad Maddie sent in the big guns because at least Roy's mom got him thinking that he was only hurting Chad's feelings with his avoidance.

 

I wonder if Roy's gonna regret Chad and Peterson becoming friendly? lol

 

Oh, and I so knew that letter was from Morgan. Sounds like there was some history there...

Link to comment
On 09/22/2016 11:39 AM, Lisa said:

"Yes," Roy exclaimed expansively, throwing his hands in the air. "I went to his house and stood in the front yard with a boom box playing 'I Will Always Love You.' What do you think mother?"

 

Oh man, this chapter was a laugh-a-minute, Cole! :rofl: I copied and pasted this particular line to remind myself to tell you that song is on the new country mash-up with 'Take me Home, Country Roads' by John Denver. I think Dolly Parton might sing some of 'I Will Always Love You.'

 

Anyhoo...the part where Kendra walked in on Roy with the other guys (!!!!) after college graduation really made me :lmao: !!!!! I'm really glad Maddie sent in the big guns because at least Roy's mom got him thinking that he was only hurting Chad's feelings with his avoidance.

 

I wonder if Roy's gonna regret Chad and Peterson becoming friendly? lol

 

Oh, and I so knew that letter was from Morgan. Sounds like there was some history there...

It's so interesting reading this chapter after such a long time. I'd completely forgotten about Maddie's gambit with Kendra. I'm thrilled you enjoyed it. I LOVE Dolly's version. That's the one I heard in my head when I picture Roy being goofy. There is some history there. Yeah u will find more about it later.

 

Thanks Lisa. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..