Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 3,443 Words
  • 7,621 Views
  • 23 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 27. Chapter 27 - Doubts and Reality

Thing seemed to be going so well but now Charlie is having major doubts about why Scott had decided to date him. Will this lead to the end of the relationship before it has even begun? To add to his daily stress, Barbara is due home shortly from the rehab center and Charlie finds out the family hasn't done much to the house yet.

Chapter 27 – Doubts and Reality

The week seemed to drag on. Charlie couldn’t get the image of Andrew out of his head. It worried him how Scott could have gone from someone like Andrew to himself. He hated to admit how insecure it was making him feel about everything. When Scott and him were together, he did his best not to let it show.

Friday evening Scott was working at the store. Charlie took the opportunity to swing by and see his father. Leaving school he headed directly to the house. When he got there he found most of the family was already present. He hadn’t even got up the walkway when Becca came out to greet him.

“Hey there, Charlie. I kept wondering when you were going to show up.”

“Well you know me; I turn up like a bad penny.”

Becca laughed and hugged him.

“Seems like everyone is here from the cars parked outside,” said Charlie as his breath formed a foggy cloud in the cold winter air.

“Well nearly everyone is. However, you need to get in there and get them all working.”

Charlie looked at her and raised his eyebrow.

“Don’t think you can get away with that with me, Uncle Charlie. You need to see what has been done.”

Charlie laughed and followed Becca in. Immediately, he knew there was trouble. Barbara was due home in four days and there wasn’t a single bit of her Christmas decorations hung up yet. He knew if she came home and it wasn’t done yet, surgery or not, she would drag the stuff out and begin to put it up herself.

Charlie walked into the living room and the family stopped talking.

“Charlie, I’m so glad you came,” said his father walking over to hug him.

“Hey, Unc. What brings you here?” asked Rick Jr.

“Hi Charlie,” Ben called out from the couch.

Charlie scanned the room. Not everyone was there but there were enough to get this project nearly completed if he got them moving right away tonight. Rick Jr., Wade, and William were gathered on the couch. Rick Sr. was carrying a tray of sodas around while Tonya stood near the fireplace talking to Kathy. Nita walked in from the kitchen a moment later carrying a tray of sandwiches. Bobby was there alone. That meant he had eight capable hands to help get the house together.

“Hi all. Um, what happened?”

“What do you mean, what happened?” Rick Sr. asked as he walked over and offered Charlie a can of soda.

“I mean Mom is due home in a few days and nothing is done. Do you expect her to do it all when she walks in the house?”

Becca stood and smiled at Charlie as the rest of the family looked at him blankly for a moment.

“Charlie, what are you talking about?” Joe asked his son.

“The house, Dad, isn’t decorated yet. Mom is due home in less than four days. What do you think she is going to do the moment she sets foot in the house?”

Joe took a moment to look around the house.

“Oh crap, your mother is going to kill me or herself,” Joe muttered suddenly looking depressed.

Charlie shook his head and took off his coat.

“Okay, ladies and gents you have all just been drafted. The house had to be decorated and it needs to be done tonight.”

Everyone shook their heads and looked at Charlie.

“Sorry, gang but I’m going to have to split this group up to get it all done.”

Wade and Rick Jr. wandered right over.

“What do you need, Unc?” asked Rick Jr.

“We can do whatever you want,” piped in Wade sort of shyly.

“Guys, I’m assigning you two the outside. In the back of the garage you will find three large green boxes labeled Christmas. Mom puts all the outside decorations in there. Rick you know where they all go. Turn on the lights for the yard and start hauling that stuff out and get it put up.”

Rick Jr. looked at Charlie and gave a mock salute.

“Keep it up and I’ll salute you too! Trust me won’t be so nice,” Charlie said trying hard not to laugh.

Rick and Wade grabbed their coats and disappeared out the back door.

“William, would you and Bobby go get the tree and stuff out of the attic?”

“Sure thing,” commented William as he followed his Uncle Bobby up the stairs.

“Charlie, I hope you don’t intend to leave me out of this,” said his father looking at him crossly.

“Relax, Dad. When the guys come back help them get the tree set up and the lights on the tree. That is going to take most of the night. Besides, once that stuff is down we can get the little things decorated around the dining room and living room.”

“So what do you want of us, oh great leader?” questioned Kathy with a big smile.

“Ladies, you are with me. We are going to attack the recipes and get that holiday baking done before none of us hear the end of it.”

The three women looked at Charlie and laughed.

“Um, I might not be the best one to help you then,” Nita started.

“Yes, my future wife burns water,” said Becca as she giggled looking at Nita.

“Thanks for the vote of confidence,” Nita said.

“Hey, Charlie, what about us?” asked Tonya as she followed the crowd with Rick Sr. at her heels.

“Oh, nearly forgot about you two,” Charlie said with a wink.

“Thanks baby bro. I really appreciate that,” said Rick Sr., trying hard to sound hurt.

“Yeah, I bet you do,” Charlie said with a smile. “Tonya, can you take the big lug and clean up the bathroom and the upstairs hallway? Mom has the Christmas towels, shower curtain, and bathmat in the hall closet. She also has the Christmas table top runners in there. If you can get them on the table up there, once Bobby and William come down with the Christmas stuff we can set the village up on the table.”

“No problem, Charlie. Come on you big lug,” Tonya said grabbing her husband’s hand and tugging him after her.

“I think I will go help the others then Charlie. I really am a disaster in the kitchen,” Nita said as she turned back to go find Joe.

Charlie entered the kitchen with Kathy and Becca. The girls went and grabbed out bowls and the basics from the cabinets, while Charlie went for his mother’s recipe box.

“So, do you plan on telling us what has you upset?” Becca asked as she set the bowls down on the kitchen island.

“Yeah. For once you are damn easy to read, Charlie,” added Kathy.

“I didn’t think it showed.”

“Most of them might not know you as well as we do but you have looked worry since you pulled up.” Becca leaned against the counter and waited.

“You two are as bad as your grandmother. You do know that, right?”

“Stop stalling, Charlie,” said Kathy. “Just tell us already.”

So while the three began to make batches of sugar cookies, Charlie began to explain to them all about Andrew, Cameron, and their places in Scott’s life. It felt like a weight was taken off his shoulders as he began to tell them all about going to Scott’s place and then being shown the pictures of Scott and Andrew together.

“What I don’t understand, and it might just be me, is what the problem your is, Charlie?” asked Becca.

“I can’t understand how he could have gone from someone like Andrew, who I am telling you looks like he could have bench pressed my car, to me. I mean look at me. I am not exactly swelling with muscles or have a gym body.”

Kathy and Becca shot each other a look. Finally, Becca turned and faced Charlie.

“Have you asked him?”

“What?”

“Charlie, have you asked him why he went from Andrew to you?”

“No,” said Charlie as he looked down at the dough he was about to cut cookies out of.

“Lord, for someone who usually is able to advise us, when it comes to yourself you are clueless aren’t you?” Becca said exasperated. She paused about to slide a tray of cookies into the oven

“Excuse me?”

“What would you have done if I walked up and told you that I had a problem? Nita’s former girlfriend was perfect. She had long flowing hair, a degree, and on top of it all had a body that just wouldn’t quit. I’m worried I can’t measure up.”

“Talk to Nita, Becca. Tell her what is making you uneasy,” Charlie began without thinking about it.

“Duh,” laughed Becca as she looked Charlie in the eye.

“Oh.”

Becca and Kathy began to laugh.

“Hey, are you kids working in here or having fun?” asked Joe as he popped his head in.

“Both,” said Becca and Kathy in unison and they began to laugh again. Kathy shook her head as she put colored sugar crystals on the top of a batch cookies she had made. Becca was busy sliding another round of cookies onto a cooling rack.

“Good. We got the tree up and Bobby is going through the lights. Nita has been decorating the fireplace and telling us she never had this much fun decorating. William found the Christmas music and has it playing in there to get everyone in the mood.” Joe was all smiles as he told them this.

The back door opened and in came Wade and Rick Jr.

“Sorry, but Ben and I needed to come in and warm up. I’m freezing my ass off out there,” Rick stated as he snagged one of the cookies off the plate.

“Go sit in the living room with the rest of the family then. I’ll put a pot of coffee on and make some hot chocolate as well,” commented Charlie as he wiped his hands off.

Wade snuck a cookie off the plate too.

“I’m glad we made extras, “said Kathy as shook her head. “If we hadn’t the boys would have made us short.”

Rick Jr. turned and stuck his tongue out as he headed into the hallway. Wade just looked embarrassed and quickly followed after his boyfriend.

“Why do you think your grandmother ends up making so many?” asked Joe as he bit into one of the cookies.

“You too, Grandpa?” laughed Becca.

“Hey, these are good. Not exactly like Barbara’s but good.”

“I use more vanilla than Mom does.”

Joe smiled as Charlie started up the large coffee pot. The girls put a bunch of different cookies on a plate to take in to the family.

“I’ll find out how many want hot chocolate and be right back,” Joe said as he munched on his cookie.

As soon as Joe was out of hearing range the girls rounded on Charlie again.

“So?” asked Kathy.

“Alright, I’ll talk to Scott tomorrow.”

Kathy and Becca stared at Charlie.

“I promise.”

“Good,” said Becca as she grabbed the plate of cookies.

“Go make sure things are getting done the way Grandma would want, Charlie. I’ll watch the batch of cookies in the oven,” said Kathy pushing Charlie toward the door.

Charlie walked into the living room and found it dramatically changed. The chairs had been pulled away from the front window and the tree had been assembled there. The tree was mostly lit now. The fireplace had a stocking for every child and grandchild hung across the front and down the sides. There were ceramic snowmen that were placed across the top of the mantle and penguins doing all sorts of winter things from sledding to skating were intermingled as well.

The end tables now had deep red velvet coverings and Christmas elves were set beside the lamp on each table. There were even different candy dishes placed out but were empty at the moment.

“Wow, you guys have been busy in here,” Charlie said as he looked around at everything that was completed.

Joe stood smiling in the center of it all.

“Yeah we have been,” commented William as he turned down the music. Charlie laughed as he recognized a blues version of Rock’n Round the Christmas Tree playing on the stereo.

“I smell coffee,” bellowed Rick Sr. as he came downstairs.

“Do you mind waiting for me?”

“Sorry, Tonya. I just figured if they had coffee it meant there would be cookies and possibly cake too.”

Tonya laughed as she followed her husband into the living room.

“Wow, everything looks great. So where is the coffee?” asked Rick Sr.

“Forgive, Rick. He has a one track mind,” said Tonya as she shook her head.

“Yeah, it goes right to Dad’s stomach,” said Rick Jr.

“What is this? Pick on Rick day? Forgive me for wanting a snack.”

Everyone laughed including Rick.

“Okay, I have hot chocolate and coffee. Who wants hot chocolate so I know how many coffee to pour out.”

“I’ll have hot chocolate, please,” said Wade as he raised his hand.

“Me too,” added Nita.

“Make that three, Charlie. If I have coffee this late, I’ll be up all night,” Joe said looking at his son.

“Okay three hot chocolates. Is everyone else okay with coffee?”

There were mumbles of ‘yes’ and ‘yeah’ as everyone began to eat the cookies off the plate that Becca had brought in.

Charlie just got back into the kitchen as Kathy took the last batch of cookies out of the oven.

“So what were the totals?”

“Three hot chocolates and the rest were coffee.”

“Make it four hot chocolates, Charlie. Extra marshmallows if you don’t mind.”

Charlie laughed. Kathy always liked extra marshmallows in her hot chocolate since she was a little kid.

Charlie made up the hot chocolates and poured out the coffee. He grabbed his mother’s small pitcher and filled it full of milk and grabbed the sugar bowl out of the cabinet. Kathy helped him carry in the two trays of drinks.

The family sat around talking till it grew late and it was near one am when they finished cleaning everything up. The girls and Nita were sleeping at Joe’s so everyone slowly said good night and began to head home.

“Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Charlie. Now all that is left is to decorate the tree.” Joe said as he hugged his son goodnight.

“No problem, Dad. I’ll give you a call tomorrow.”

“Okay. Night. Be safe driving home.”

Charlie turned to leave when Becca joined him outside.

“Will you get back inside? You don’t even have a coat on.”

“I will in a moment. Promise me you will talk to Scott and get this settled once and for all.”

“I promise. Now get back in the house before you catch a cold.”

On the drive home Charlie realized the girls were correct. He needed to talk to Scott and get this all settled before he drove himself nuts. He knew Scott would be opening again in the morning so he set his alarm clock to be up early enough to go see him before the store had to begin opening.

It felt like Charlie had barely put his head on the pillow when the alarm rang off. He dragged himself into the bathroom and showered. This morning he just grabbed whatever came to hand and was soon heading on his way to get coffee. He ordered two bagels with cream cheese and two light and sweet coffeet. A few moments later he was back in his car on the way to Reed’s Reads.

Charlie was nervous as he walked to the back door of the store. Get it together, Charlie. You need to ask this or you won’t be able to get past it.

Charlie knocked on the door and a moment later Scott was there.

“Charlie? I wasn’t expecting you. What a nice surprise.”

“I brought you breakfast,” said Charlie as he showed Scott the cups of coffee and bag.

“Thank you. So what brings you out here so early in the morning?”

“I need to talk to you,” Charlie said looking into Scott’s blue eyes.

“Come on in.”

Charlie followed Scott into the back room and the table Scott had partially covered with his latest delivery. He quickly scooped the books into a box and offered Charlie a seat.

“So, out with it. What is wrong?”

Charlie sat with his hand wrapped around the coffee cup. Now that he was here face to face with Scott he felt stupid bringing the whole thing up.

“Charlie?”

Charlie looked up and then sort of blurted it out all out.

“Why me? Why did you pick me? I mean you could have had anyone at all Scott.”

Scott sat looking at Charlie for a moment.

“Is that what this all about?”

Charlie sat looking at Scott’s hand.

“Charlie, would you look at me?”

Charlie slowly raised his eyes and looked Scott in the face.

“That’s better. Now what do you mean why did I pick you?”

“After Andrew. Why did you pick me?”

Scott was quiet for a moment. He reached down and took a drag of coffee before he began.

“Why not you?”

“I’m nothing like Andrew. I’m not that big or handsome or …” Charlie was cut off by Scott.

“I wasn’t looking for another Andrew, Charlie. You might not be big like he was but you are more alike than you know.”

Scott took a deep breath.

“Look, Andrew wasn’t just a big guy. He was a lot like you. He had a big heart. He might have enjoyed working out a lot but he also worked in Social Services. He had seen the worst of humanity every day but he felt if he wasn’t out there trying to help the women, men, and children who needed it, then who the hell would?”

Charlie sat quietly as Scott began to tell him more about Andrew.

“I wasn’t really looking to start over, Charlie. You sort of came out of nowhere and turned my world upside down,” Scott said with a smile.

“Sorry about that.”

“Well accidents happen, Charlie. What is important is it brought you into my world. I got to know you. You care about your students and people in general. You take your time and don’t make rash decisions. When you decide you want something you go for it with your full heart. How could I not want that for myself?”

Charlie blushed but Scott just leaned across the table and kissed him.

“Charlie, you don’t have to try to live up to someone else. I am in love with you. Trust me; you don’t have anything to worry about.”

“I feel sort of stupid now.”

“Don’t. Glad you came to see me and talk this out.”

Scott’s stomach took that moment to growl.

“Glad I picked up breakfast then. Seems you skipped yours,” Charlie said with a laugh.

“Yes,” Scott said sheepishly. “I was running late.”

“Well eat up and then tell me what I can do to help you get ready to open.”

Scott smiled and the two finished off breakfast together. They worked side by side getting everything done and Charlie felt more at ease than he had in a while. The day was off to a great start but there were less than two weeks till Christmas and he knew that their time would be at a premium till after the holiday.

So there we stand. Charlie and Scott are opening up more and more to each other. Next Chapter finds Barbara coming home and some news arrives about Charlie's ex-girlfriend. Any questions or comments are always welcomed. If you liked the chapter, well feel free to click like. Thank you as always for reading.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/13/2011 03:45 AM, Elezbed said:
And we now know why it is called 'accidents happen' :P
I'm glad someone caught it. :)
Link to comment
On 10/13/2011 04:00 AM, Frostina said:
Scott is just.. perfect, isnt he? :P

sooo much worrying, and for nothing! lol.

cant wait for Christmas! ^_^

Well, not perfect but he isn't going to get worked up over something that he can easily explain. Glad you enjoyed it.
Link to comment
On 10/13/2011 04:00 AM, Frostina said:
Scott is just.. perfect, isnt he? :P

sooo much worrying, and for nothing! lol.

cant wait for Christmas! ^_^

Well, not perfect but he isn't going to get worked up over something that he can easily explain. Glad you enjoyed it.
Link to comment
On 10/13/2011 04:00 AM, Frostina said:
Scott is just.. perfect, isnt he? :P

sooo much worrying, and for nothing! lol.

cant wait for Christmas! ^_^

Well, not perfect but he isn't going to get worked up over something that he can easily explain. Glad you enjoyed it.
Link to comment

Accidents Happen has been the over-riding theme from the beginning, so putting it into words in this chapter only solidifies the title. This was an easy read, calm story line, filling in a few blanks, but moving the story forward. I loved it. Thanks.

Link to comment
On 10/13/2011 12:20 PM, GeR said:
Accidents Happen has been the over-riding theme from the beginning, so putting it into words in this chapter only solidifies the title. This was an easy read, calm story line, filling in a few blanks, but moving the story forward. I loved it. Thanks.
Glad you are enjoying it George. I am just trying to tie up the loose ends and leave everyone content when I end this. Still have a surprise or two up my sleeve. Thanks for commenting and still being with me.
Link to comment

Awww, a very sweet chapter. I hope Charlie accepts Scott's explanation and can move forward without any more self-doubt. :)

Link to comment
On 10/13/2011 02:04 PM, K.C. said:
Awww, a very sweet chapter. I hope Charlie accepts Scott's explanation and can move forward without any more self-doubt. :)
Yup. Only moving forward from here on out, KC. Still a few surprises to toss out and things to settle before the end. Hopefully everyone will enjoy it.
Link to comment
On 10/13/2011 02:56 PM, Daddydavek said:
I liked the flow and way you spun the title into the narrative.
Thank you Dad. I'm glad people are still enjoying Charlie's tale. At least I haven't bored anyone so I hope I am doing a good job. :)
Link to comment

Meh, I don't see what all the fuss is about finding a way to work in the the title to the story somewhere in 80k words. dry.png Hehe, sorry couldn't resist.

 

So are you going to be change from Dr. Evil to Dr. Nice or is another shoe gonna fall next chapter??

Link to comment
On 10/16/2011 12:47 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Meh, I don't see what all the fuss is about finding a way to work in the the title to the story somewhere in 80k words. dry.png Hehe, sorry couldn't resist.

 

So are you going to be change from Dr. Evil to Dr. Nice or is another shoe gonna fall next chapter??

I have three chapters left here Andy. How much more could I put Charlie through? Besides I have some loose ends to tie up, so expect some people to make return appearances while that happens.
Link to comment

“What I don’t understand, and it might just be me, is what the problem your is, Charlie?” asked Becca.

 

Know what you meant here, but you have an extra word or something in there.

 

I totally enjoyed having Charlie's sage advice returned to him. Things are moving quickly and again I love the pace. Next!

Link to comment
On 02/11/2012 11:17 AM, MidnightMan said:
“What I don’t understand, and it might just be me, is what the problem your is, Charlie?” asked Becca.

 

Know what you meant here, but you have an extra word or something in there.

 

I totally enjoyed having Charlie's sage advice returned to him. Things are moving quickly and again I love the pace. Next!

Thanks for catching that blunder. I'll fix it. Yeah it picks up nicely toward the end there doesn't it.
Link to comment
On 02/11/2012 11:17 AM, MidnightMan said:
“What I don’t understand, and it might just be me, is what the problem your is, Charlie?” asked Becca.

 

Know what you meant here, but you have an extra word or something in there.

 

I totally enjoyed having Charlie's sage advice returned to him. Things are moving quickly and again I love the pace. Next!

Thanks for catching that blunder. I'll fix it. Yeah it picks up nicely toward the end there doesn't it.
Link to comment

What a beautiful chapter. You know I loved the family gathering for the decorating!

Scott is so wonderful for Charlie and I am glad he told Charlie that he loved him and that he had nothing to worry about.

 

I am so lucky to have waited and read this after it was finished. Lovin it!

Link to comment
On 11/07/2012 03:09 AM, joann414 said:
What a beautiful chapter. You know I loved the family gathering for the decorating!

Scott is so wonderful for Charlie and I am glad he told Charlie that he loved him and that he had nothing to worry about.

 

I am so lucky to have waited and read this after it was finished. Lovin it!

Yeah people were begging for more and faster. You get to read it all at one shot. Glad you enjoyed this.
Link to comment

Sometimes when things are so important to us we can blow everything out if proportion. I loved the seen with the girls while baking, getting him to answer his own problem. Scotts explanation was so fitting and he had no problem explaining away Charlies fears. It's nice to see that even charlie is only human as well.

Link to comment
On 06/07/2013 02:38 PM, Daithi said:
Sometimes when things are so important to us we can blow everything out if proportion. I loved the seen with the girls while baking, getting him to answer his own problem. Scotts explanation was so fitting and he had no problem explaining away Charlies fears. It's nice to see that even charlie is only human as well.
Everyone is flawed. The little things can be the most important and sometimes just taking the time to explain them can make life worth while again.
Link to comment

Scott really is a sweetheart (I think I´ve said it before, but he is great). Loved the all the Christmas decorating and baking. Who has a special Christmas shower curtain? Obviously Barbara does :P

Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 08:00 PM, Suvitar said:
Scott really is a sweetheart (I think I´ve said it before, but he is great). Loved the all the Christmas decorating and baking. Who has a special Christmas shower curtain? Obviously Barbara does :P
What can I tell you. Barbara really loves the holidays. The kids and grandkids know they better do what is necessary before Barbara is due home, or she will try to do it herself.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..