Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 3,538 Words
  • 7,311 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 30. Chapter 30 - Christmas Day

The Wagner clan spends Christmas Day together. It is a day of surprises, but will it all turn out well?

Chapter 30 – Christmas Day

Charlie woke up early and noticed how cold the apartment felt. He padded over to the window and observed it was beginning to snow again. Large white flakes were falling making the view outside his window very pretty. He was just starting to head toward the bathroom when the phone rang.

“Morning and Merry Christmas,” Charlie said, trying not yawn into the phone.

“Morning, Sexy. Figured I would call and see if you wanted to go over to your parent’s house together.”

Charlie paused as he thought about Scott’s little car. Almost as if he was reading Charlie’s mind, Scott continued on.

“I figured we could go in my old truck. The damn thing is like a tank,” Scott joked.

“Alright, that sounds like a plan. Give me about a half hour to get ready then.”

“God, you’re worse than some women I know. A half an hour? Really?”

“Then I can face my family and the world at large.”

“Well get your cute tush in the shower. I’ll stop for coffee on my way over. I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

Charlie didn’t even get to say another word because Scott hung up.

“Sneaky pain in my ass,” Charlie muttered as he ran to grab his shower.

By the time Scott was ringing his door bell, Charlie was dressed and had three bags of stuff by the door. He had left Scott’s presents wrapped and by the tree. Those he planned to give him when they were home alone.

“Here, I know you don’t function without this,” Scott said with a smile as he handed Charlie his coffee. “What the hell did you do? Rob a store for the holidays?”

“No,” Charlie laughed as took a deep breath of the delicious aroma before looking at the large bags at his feet. “It’s just a few gifts. Most of mine I sent directly to them. I figured there would be enough pandemonium at my parent’s house without having to worry about everyone of my siblings, their mates, and my nieces and nephews.”

Charlie paused and took a deep drink of his coffee.

“Hmmm. That is really good.”

Scott leaned in and kissed Charlie.

“Well, that wasn’t half bad either.”

“I’ll give you half bad,” Scott said as he reached down and grabbed two of the bags. “If you didn’t buy half the stores out what did you get, bricks?”

“Would you stop picking on me already,” Charlie said as shook his head. “I mean really, you know the size of my family. No one is exactly expecting a gift from me, but if I didn’t have something for all of them, well they would be hurt. Besides, I sort of screwed up. When mom went into the hospital I should have made up a grab bag like she usually does and I wouldn’t have had this problem.”

Scott set the bags back down and pulled Charlie into a hug.

“Hey, you realize I’m kidding.” Scott began looking into Charlie’s eyes. He leaned in close till his nose touched Charlie’s. Charlie could smell Scott’s cologne and began to relax. “I’m not criticizing you. And you know your family wouldn’t blame you for anything. They all love you.”

Charlie looked down. It just had been a long few weeks and he was feeling the strain.

“I know,” Charlie’s voice came out barely a whisper. “Just a bit stressed is all.”

“Well, relax. This is your family. I’ve met them all and they aren’t a bad bunch, at least not once you get to know that whole family.”

Charlie looked up and smiled.

“Come on, handsome. We are going to be late. Your mother told me breakfast was at nine and the gifts at nine thirty.”

Charlie looked at the clock and seen it was thirty five after eight. They were going to be late.

Scott grabbed two bags again and Charlie picked up the last one, locked the door and followed Scott out into the snow.

Scott kept the heat on high and the wipers going. The snow fall was making everything look really pretty but people were racing through it and there seemed to be accidents all over. Scott drove slowly, avoiding the crazy drivers on the road, and they were still at the Wagner’s home only ten minutes late.

Charlie and Scott parked on the snow filled street. Charlie was about to climb out of the truck when he spotted all the bags in the back of Scott’s truck.

“Oh my god,” Charlie began, his eyes growing wide. “You didn’t! Tell me you didn’t get them all gifts!”

Scott stood, blushing.

“You did. You're an idiot. You must have spent a fortune. I knew I shouldn’t have let mom invite you. You didn’t have to do that.”

“Shh. Would you stop. I didn’t have to do anything. I wanted to. Just like you bought for my family, well I bought for yours too.”

Charlie sat shaking his head. He didn’t get to say a word because a moment later Ben and Rick were at the side of the truck.

“We were worried you wouldn’t make it.” Rick stood to the side as Charlie opened his door. “Grandma has had us watching for you. Didn’t recognize the truck but I knew your hat, Charlie. You always wear that yellow and black zig zag hat.”

“Hi Charlie.” Ben waved from the other side of the truck. “Hi Mister ... I mean Scott. Do you guys need a hand?”

Charlie took one look at the back where Scott had tucked all the gifts and sighed.

“Glad you two showed up. Seems my boyfriend decided to overdo Christmas. Care to give us a hand carrying all this in?”

With the four of them grabbing bags and talking, it only took one trip. Barbara stood waiting at the door for Scott and Charlie to come in.

“Well I’m glad you two made it. We have been hearing about accidents and problems all over on the news.” Barbara kissed both of them on the cheek as they walked in the door. “Get your coats off and head into the dining room. I have all sorts of stuff laid out for breakfast. Charlie, coffee is brewing in the kitchen.”

Charlie smiled and Scott just shook his head. They could hear conversations coming from both the living room and the dining room. Ben and Rick Jr. took the packages into the living room, while Joe greeted Scott and Charlie.

“With the snow I’m happy to see you in the truck. That had to give you some traction in this snow,” Joe began. “Barbara loves it, but I was never a fan of snow.”

“Well at least with everyone here you don’t have to worry about going out to shovel.”

“Scott, I don’t shovel. If the kids don’t do it, I have a neighbor down the street with a snow blower. I pay him to dig us out.”

“You just hush up now. It’s Christmas and everyone is here,” Barbara announced as she shooed the guys toward the food. “Joe, let them go eat.”

“Yes, dear.”

Charlie found Rebecca, Kathy, and Nita standing in the doorway talking about the plans for the upcoming wedding. Charlie waved as he made his way over to the plates. There were Danish, fruit stollen, cheese buns, coffee cake, and donuts on plates and platters. There were sternos keeping trays of sausage, bacon, and French toast warm. At the end of the table were two large trays of fresh fruit as well.

“Is there ever a time your mother doesn’t go full out on the food?”

“You’ve met my mother,” Charlie said turning to look at Scott with a smile, “what do you think?”

“I think I’m glad she doesn’t have parties too often or I wouldn’t fit in to any clothing I own.”

That got some of the family laughing. Charlie led Scott into the kitchen where there was a pot of coffee brewing, and containers of orange juice and milk were sitting on the counter.

After both had something to drink and eat, they mingled with the family.

Everyone was in good spirits. Scott, Charlie, Rick and Tonya were the only ones who hadn’t stayed over last night. So most of the family was still roaming around in various states of pajamas or dress, and no one was in rush to complain about anything. Barbara kept trying to check on everyone, but the family worked hard keeping her seated in the living room and coming in to her. At nine thirty Joe called everyone into the living room. He turned the lights on the Christmas tree on, and put on a Christmas cd.

“Alright, whose turn is it to pass all this madness out? I’m too old to go crawling around under the tree.”

That brought laughter from everyone in the room.

“Well,” Barbara began.

“Oh no you don’t!”Charlie and Rebecca said together. Rebecca looked at Charlie, stood up, and pointed at Rick junior. “Get your butt over there. Ben you can help him.”

Barbara started laughing, but Ben and Rick scrambled over to the tree.

It took a while. The two guys began sorting through the boxes the family had stuffed under the tree. It really looked pretty colorful. There were many different shapes, colors, and ribbons tied on the packages. Charlie finally sat back and relaxed. Once a package had been found for every person, people began to open the gifts. Ben and Rick kept rushing back and forth like demented elves dropping presents off to everyone seated in the living room.

Charlie spotted his mother preparing to rise after she took a look around the room.

“I got it, Mom.”

Scott looked up questioningly as he started to open a gift from Rick and Tonya.

“Finish opening your package. I’ll be right back.”

Charlie strolled out to the kitchen and grabbed three large black leaf bags out of a box under the kitchen sink. Then he headed back to the living room.

Kathy spotted Charlie coming back with the bags and went over and took one from him. Joan came and grabbed another. Soon the scraps of Christmas wrapping paper were neatly picked up, as new gifts were handed out and unwrapped.

Charlie took his seat beside Scott who immediately leaned over.

“Guess you guys have this down to a science.”

“Mom always likes to clean up as we unwrap so she doesn’t get stuck doing it all later.”

Charlie was happy to see that while Scott had been busy getting something for every member of his family, they hadn’t forgotten him either. Charlie noticed that everyone had bought for Scott, which made him proud to know everyone was so accepting. Then again they had to take the idea of not only Scott but Nita and Ben as well. It had been an eventful year for the Wagner family.

Charlie watched as Ben pulled the last gift out from under the tree. Rick brought it over to Bobby. He knew that just left the big gift his parents always gave to one of the family. This year he knew it was Kristy getting tickets to go to Italy. It was one place she had always wanted to go.

Everyone finished putting the scraps into the trash bags before Joe and Barbara stood up.

“As you all know, every year we give one special gift to one of the kids or grandkids. Kristy is graduating and we felt she deserved something special. So this year Barbara and I have tickets for her to go to Italy.”

Everyone smiled and clapped. Kristy smiled happily as she found out that the trip would be during her vacation in the springtime.

“However, we don’t like to keep things from each you. I sort of made that mistake already,” Barbara said, blushing a deep shade of red. “Although Joe and I, well, we did talk to you all and you all agreed. This year we are sort of correcting an over sight.”

Charlie sat and looked at his parents. They had never done something like this before. What did they mean? They hadn’t said anything to him.

“Charlie when it was your turn for a trip, well we simply took you with us and the rest of the family and we went to Disney. You didn’t get the trip you always wanted. Instead, we simply took you with us.”

Charlie could remember the trip to Disney that had happened when he turned eighteen. Granted, it wasn’t tickets for him alone, but he had enjoyed the family trip and everyone had gone down for three days and nights at Disney World. It might not have been the solo trip everyone else got but he wasn’t complaining.

“Well,” Joe said coming to stand before Charlie. “After all you have done for everyone, especially this year, we figured we were remiss, Son.”

“So we checked with the school to find out when your spring break was. We bought you two tickets to London. We booked the hotel and one small tour but the rest of the time it is up to you how you want to spend the time there.”

Charlie was stunned. He was finally going to get to see London. He had always wanted to travel there, but he never expected that his parents would send him. It took a few moments before it dawned on him. Did his parents say that they had bought two tickets? His face took on a confused look.

Barbara giggled looking at Charlie. She turned and shook her head at Joe.

“I told you he wouldn’t get it immediately.”

“You heard your mother right, Charlie. We got you two tickets.”

Charlie turned and looked at Scott who smiled.

“Yeah, well they wanted to make sure I could get off from the store to go with you if I wanted to.”

“You knew?” Charlie looked at Scott, his eyes drawing partially closed and his mouth hung open.

Scott blushed.

“You knew and you didn’t tell me!”

Charlie picked up a pillow off the couch and hit Scott with it. Everyone broke down into laughter. Charlie blushed and tried to look angry, but couldn’t keep a straight face as he started laughing, joining the family in the good times.

The whole group gathered around the television as Joe popped in a copy of A Christmas Story. Charlie, Rebecca, Kathy, Ben and Rick Jr. gathered up the garbage and plates and began to clean up. Barbara went to get up but was waved back to her seat.

“Honestly, Mom, we’ve got it. Just relax.” Charlie picked up a bag of wrapping paper and headed toward the kitchen with the rest of the group.

“Alright, I give already.” Barbara raised her hands up and turned to watch the movie.

“Well what do you know? You have someone who can keep a secret from you,” Kathy kidded Charlie as they walked into the kitchen.

“Yes, for a change the answer man was surprised,” Rebecca joined in.

“Thanks a lot. The whole group of you knew and didn’t say a word to me.”

“Well you were busy with work, Scott, your new program, and keeping Grandma from over doing things,” chimed in Rick Jr. as he walked over and hugged Ben.

Charlie paused and looked outside. The snow was still falling but the flakes were becoming finer and he could see the plow truck starting to make a pass up the street. He hadn’t realized how much snow had fallen in the short time they had been here at his parent’s house.

“I hate to change the subject when you are all having so much fun picking on me, but did anyone hear the weather report?”

“It is supposed to snow all day,” Ben said shrugging his shoulders. “I’m not worried. Mom and dad know where I am and the Wagner’s said I could sleep over if it gets too bad.”

Charlie knew he hadn’t given Scott his gifts yet. In fact, they were still sitting under the tree at his apartment. As much as he loved his family, he wanted to spend some alone time with Scott.

Heading back into the living room Charlie made his way over to Scott.

“Glad you are back. I love this film. Sit down and watch it with us.”

Charlie leaned in close.

“It is still snowing, Scott. I think we should head back to my place,” Charlie whispered.

“Huh? Why?”

“Oh I don’t know. I mean it is Christmas, your gift is at my place, and it means us alone together for a while.”

“Good enough. I’m ready when you are.”

The two got up and began to make their goodbyes. Rick went and rustled up a few bags to pack up Charlie and Scott’s gifts.

“Call me when you get back to your place,” Barbara said looking out at the falling snow. It had begun to come down heavier again and there was no way to tell that the street had even been plowed.

“I will, Mom,” Charlie said leaning in to kiss his mother goodbye.

“I promise to drive safely,” Scott said as he took his turn to kiss Barbara goodbye.

“You two don’t have to rush off,” Joe said looking out at the snow.

“Dad, I never got to give Scott his gift. Everything is still back at my place. We want to go before it gets any worse.”

Ben and Rick Jr. helped them out to the car.

“Are you two sure you want to drive in this mess?” Rick stood looking at the rapidly falling snow. His dark blue coat was already covered in a layer of while snow. It was even hard to make out Charlie’s bright yellow hat.

“Yeah, Rick. We will be fine. Scott’s truck drives well in the snow. We’ll call once we are safely back at my place.”

Rick gave Charlie a hug and Ben shook hands with them both before rushing back to the house.

“Crap, it really is coming down,” Charlie muttered as he looked out the front windshield.

Scott was still outside the truck. He had turned on the truck, put the heater on, and was now scrapping the snow off. Luckily they would be able to drive over what the plow truck had pushed near the vehicle, but if the plow came through again they would be digging out the truck.

“Ready Charlie?”

Charlie sat uncomfortably in the front seat looking at the blizzard of snow falling. I hope I’m not being an idiot.

“Do you think we can make it safely? If not I know my parents would put us up.”

Scott looked over at Charlie and smiled. He scanned the sky and then the road they were about to pull out on.

“We should be fine. We will just take it slow and easy.”

The drive back to Charlie’s was done in silence. Charlie was afraid to take Scott’s attention away from road for an instant. They passed many cars that had skidded out, had an accident, or were stalled. The snow kept falling and even the skid marks from the accident’s they passed were covered over quickly. Charlie found he was saying a prayer as they continued the slow ride home. They were only about a block away when the storm turned and it became impossible to see the road.

“Charlie, this is bad,” Scott whispered.

Charlie was nervous. He wasn’t sure what to do until he spotted the small set of lights on the left side of the road.

“Scott, you see the lights to your left. Head over toward them.”

“Are you crazy? That is on the opposite side of the road.”

“I know. They are right alongside the entrance to the underground parking area of the building. I have my house key so I can signal to get the gate up. You will simply park in the stalls under the building. I’m not sure we could find parking on the street right now anyway.”

Scott looked at Charlie for a second, and then nodded.

“Okay, here goes nothing.” Scott seemed to mutter it as he slid into a turn trying to go where Charlie wanted him to.

Charlie watched as Scott turned the truck and drove into a blinding white wall of snow.

So one last chapter to go for Charlie. Is this an accident waiting to happen or is there to be a final surprise? Find out in the final chapter. If you enjoyed this chapter feel free to click the like button. A question or comment is always welcomed.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 12/05/2011 05:34 PM, Daddydavek said:
The weather outside was frightful and did they make it into the parking garage? Now we got to wait. :(
Yup. Just the last chapter to go and you know I have to lay all my cards on the table so everyone will know what happened.
Link to comment

What? that is where you are going to leave us and **gasp** make us WAIT? Tick-tock...waiting for next chapter. Fingers crossed that it's hot sex under the Christmas tree :P

Link to comment

I have followed this story since the beginning. I look for it regularly. One accident is enough! Don't take out Charlie or Scott! The family has endeared themselves to me. Thanks.

Link to comment
On 12/06/2011 09:17 AM, GeR said:
I have followed this story since the beginning. I look for it regularly. One accident is enough! Don't take out Charlie or Scott! The family has endeared themselves to me. Thanks.
Well one more chapter and you know all that I do. Glad you have stayed with me and enjoyed it. :)
Link to comment
On 12/06/2011 12:53 PM, Icarus said:
I got the Charlie Brown reference! Brilliant :)
I'm glad someone did. I couldn't let my poor Charlie not get that reference. After all, Charlie Wagner's luck is an awful lot like Charlie Brown's.
Link to comment
On 12/06/2011 09:14 AM, K.C. said:
What? that is where you are going to leave us and **gasp** make us WAIT? Tick-tock...waiting for next chapter. Fingers crossed that it's hot sex under the Christmas tree :P
Well look at it this way, you know it will be the last cliffhanger I have for Charlie. The story ends with Chapter 31. Glad you have been with me and enjoyed the tale.
Link to comment

all the while i was thinking.. oh, how wonderful, a white Christmas! and the.... BAM! a blizzard!

you're mean! :pissed:

:P

come on come on!! when's the next one coming? :D

Link to comment
On 12/07/2011 03:40 AM, Frostina said:
all the while i was thinking.. oh, how wonderful, a white Christmas! and the.... BAM! a blizzard!

you're mean! :pissed:

:P

come on come on!! when's the next one coming? :D

I figure it will be out by the weekend. Charlie's finale is finally here. :lol: Glad you are still with me till the bitter end Frosty.
Link to comment

I am new to this story and you have had me hooked to the point that I was up at 5 this morning to read a chapter or two and then as soon as I come home from work I read to the cliff hanger -- Charlie has found Scott and Scott has found Charlie and you are having them drive into a white out! Not only that but we have to WAIT....

 

Awesome story and am looking forward to the next (and sadly last) chapter!

Link to comment
On 12/16/2011 01:16 PM, Six.Gauge said:
I am new to this story and you have had me hooked to the point that I was up at 5 this morning to read a chapter or two and then as soon as I come home from work I read to the cliff hanger -- Charlie has found Scott and Scott has found Charlie and you are having them drive into a white out! Not only that but we have to WAIT....

 

Awesome story and am looking forward to the next (and sadly last) chapter!

I'm flattered you read it all at one sitting. I have enjoyed my time with Scott and Charlie. Charlie has been real close to me and I set him in a world I know, Patchogue, New York. The last Chapter should be out on Saturday the latest. Glad you liked it.
Link to comment

Okay, that was just rude. As there is only one chapter remaining I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you haven't killed them. I could feel the tension in the story as they drove home. Even though I know it was only a paragraph or two, it felt real and seemed to take a long time for them to get where they needed to be. Which in that situation, having driven in the snow for many years I can absolutely relate. Great chapter and looking forward to and dreading the next and final chapter.

Link to comment
On 02/11/2012 12:10 PM, MidnightMan said:
Okay, that was just rude. As there is only one chapter remaining I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope you haven't killed them. I could feel the tension in the story as they drove home. Even though I know it was only a paragraph or two, it felt real and seemed to take a long time for them to get where they needed to be. Which in that situation, having driven in the snow for many years I can absolutely relate. Great chapter and looking forward to and dreading the next and final chapter.
Well you stayed with me for 30 chapters. With only one to go hopefully you will be content with the conclusion.
Link to comment

So, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow, but let the boys get home so I can see what the heck Scott is getting for Christmas.

 

Loved the family Christmas gathering. Fun, fun. Brought back memories:)

Link to comment
On 11/07/2012 05:40 AM, joann414 said:
So, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow, but let the boys get home so I can see what the heck Scott is getting for Christmas.

 

Loved the family Christmas gathering. Fun, fun. Brought back memories:)

Well just one chapter left and it is snowing like hell.

 

I love it when a family gets together celebrates together.

Link to comment

I loved the fact that the family had finally managed to surprise Charlie for Christmas. I'm glad scott wasn't driving the Jaguar its bad enough in the truck :-(

Link to comment
On 06/07/2013 03:25 PM, Daithi said:
I loved the fact that the family had finally managed to surprise Charlie for Christmas. I'm glad scott wasn't driving the Jaguar its bad enough in the truck :-(
Yeah, Christmas is a time for surprises and Charlie for once was taken off guard. Only one more left.
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 09:31 PM, Suvitar said:
I hope they made it home safely :huh:
Well only one more chapter. Did Charlie and Scott make it home in one piece or was I cruel to them? :evil:
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..