Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 2,336 Words
  • 11,299 Views
  • 30 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 4. Chapter 4 - Meeting Mr. Reeds

Charlie finally is heading off to meet his rescuer. Just what will this mean to him.

Chapter 4 – Meeting Mr. Reeds

Charlie had taken the ride to the hospital in silence. Officer Justine had taken a straight path down Montauk Highway and over to the emergency area by the hospital. She parked the cruiser and let Charlie out before both headed inside.

Almost immediately Charlie had been sent around to the waiting room. There he waited for news to arrive that he could finally get to see Mr. Reeds.

“Damn, these seats are uncomfortable,” hissed Charlie as he tried to rearrange himself on the hard plastic seat. His leg had gone to sleep already and so had his butt. He wasn’t use to sitting for so long.

“Tell me about it,” stated the gentleman in the gray tee shirt and dark black jacket who was seated across from him. “I’ve been here since eight this morning and am still waiting to find out what happened to my wife.”

“Sorry to hear that,” was Charlie’s soft reply. He slowly stretched a bit and decided he had better check in with the woman at the desk. If he couldn’t get up to see Mr. Reeds yet at least he could find out where to get some food. It was nearly lunch time and he hadn’t even had breakfast yet.

“Oh, hi again,” said the young woman behind the desk. The older woman at her side shook her head but turned to help another visitor. “Mr. Reed still isn’t out of the emergency room. I believe they are checking his vitals again. Once he has a room assignment I promise to let you know.” She smiled sweetly up at Charlie.

“Thank you so much, but I really wanted to know where I could go grab something to eat. I didn’t get breakfast this morning and I’m sort of starving.” Charlie didn’t have to say much more because his stomach chose that moment to gurgle and help illustrate his hunger. The young woman laughed and pointed him toward the visitor’s lunch counter.

Charlie grabbed an apple, a grilled cheese on whole wheat, and a bottle of water then sat down at one of the small tables that looked out on to the hospital grounds. Figuring he should get something done he pulled out a few of his student’s projects but within moments he realized he kept looking out the window wondering how the day became so screwed up.

This just isn’t going to happen right now. Charlie put away the projects and looked back out the window while munching on his apple. What am I going to say to this man? I mean how do you exactly thank someone for saving your life? Should I get him something? Of course, my mother would kill me if she found out I went to see someone in the hospital and didn’t bring a gift.

Charlie gathered up his garbage and tossed it all in the trash. Grabbing his satchel he headed across the hall to where there was a small hospital gift shop. Well, it looked small from the doorway but it was really a sort of long narrow room divided by a card rack. There were fresh flowers, arrangements, and even a few plants at the front left side of the isle. A little further down were stuffed bears, ducks, and some toys. The back of the store held some puzzles and puzzle books. The right wall held paper backs and best selling hard cover books. Charlie was amazed at how much was in such a small space.

“What on earth am I going to get,” Charlie muttered to himself as he looked around.

“Well is it a guy or girl? Is it for an adult or child? And are they here for happy or sad reasons?”

Charlie turned in surprise. There standing almost behind him was an older gentleman in a hospital smock.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to startle you,” began the older man, “just figured I could help direct you to something.”

“Thanks,” Charlie said desperately searching for a name tag.

“Merritt. Sorry left the badge by the cash register. So who do you need something for?”

“Thanks, Merritt. I’m looking for something for a,” Charlie paused a second, “guy who was hurt in an accident saving me.”

“Oh,” gasped Merritt. For a second his eyes were real wide then he nodded at Charlie. “Well I’d suggest a plant then. Those rooms are so damn sterile. Something alive is always a nice pick me up. This little plant needs next to no water and even black thumbs like me can keep them alive.”

Charlie smiled. At least he had someone who was honest pointing things out to him.

“You might want to get him a puzzle book to keep him busy if he doesn’t like TV. My wife is word search fiend. Of course if he likes to read we carry just about all the best sellers.”

“Thank you so much for the ideas,” Charlie said as Merritt waved and headed over to greet a new customer who needed a toy for her brother’s new baby. He grabbed a Sudoku book and a crossword puzzle, before spotting a mystery book about a woman who owned a cookie store and had some recipes in it as well. I hope he likes to read was the Charlie’s only concern. He headed up to the register and Merritt looked over his haul.

“Looks like you are laying in enough stuff for a long stay here.”

“Well,” began Charlie, “I’d rather be safe than sorry.”

Merritt just smiled and rang up his order. While Charlie paid, Merritt bagged the books and even found something so the plant looked good as a gift.

“I hope your friend gets better quick. Glad he was able to save you.”

“Thanks,” was all Charlie was able to get out as he began to blush. He headed back to the waiting room expecting to have a while before he could finally get to talk to Mr. Reeds. However, he had barely entered the waiting room when the older woman waved him over to her desk.

“Sir, I know you were waiting for news on Mr. Reeds. He was given a room about ten minutes ago and notified that someone was waiting to see him. You should know that he is medicated though and it won’t be long till everything catches up to him. So if you want to talk to him you should head up soon.”

“Thank you so much. Which room is he in?”

The next minute or two was spent getting the directions to the room. She ran through the hospital guidelines and told him that while it wasn’t really visiting hours for the floor they were letting Charlie in anyway.

The ride up to the fifth floor was nerve wracking. A thousand little things flashed through Charlie’s mind. I hope he doesn’t blame me too much. I wonder what he is going to say. Maybe I shouldn’t go in. I can’t not go in he knows I was waiting to see him. I might luck out though and he might be asleep when I go in.

It wasn’t long before Charlie stood outside room 515. The door was open but the curtains had been pulled partially to on the window. As Charlie walked in he could clearly see Mr. Reeds lying on the bed. His eyes were immediately drawn to the snow white cast on Mr. Reeds’ arm. He slipped fully into the room and studied the man in the bed before him. Mr. Reeds' eyes were closed. He took in the dark hair that was going gray at the temples. His eyes were closed so Charlie felt safe in examining Mr. Reeds. There was a small scar near his chin. Although he was wearing a hospital gown Charlie could see the dark hair of his chest curling above it. He also noted a white bandage under the gown. Slowly, he followed the curve of Mr. Reeds arm seeing how pale the skin looked next to the white hospital blanket that his fingers seemed to be picking at. His fingers are picking at the blanket. Wait a minute.

“It is sort of rude to stare,” was the first thing Charlie had heard from the figure in the bed and he nearly stumbled back in surprise. Charlie looked up and was suddenly caught in stare of two hard edged blue eyes.

“I’m, uh,” Charlie stammered out. “I thought you were asleep.”

“I see.”

Charlie was blushing and feeling completely out of place. Oh, Lord I should just give him the gifts and get the hell out of here.

“Shouldn’t you be in school?”

Again Charlie was caught off guard. How did Mr. Reeds know he was a teacher?

“You are going to get into trouble,” was the only comment from the bed.

“Well, actually I called in a substitute so no problems there. Besides, I wanted to make sure you were alright,” was Charlie’s rushed reply.

“A substitute? Since when can a student call in a substitute?”

“What do you mean,” began Charlie. Then he realized what was going on. His height and reactions had worked against him again and Mr. Reeds thought he was in high school. Shaking his head Charlie explained. “No, I am a teacher who was on his way to school when you, um, saved me. I called the school and they have a substitute for me.”

Mr. Reeds seemed surprised. He sat for moment staring at Charlie before nodding. The intense scrutiny was making Charlie blush and he felt he should say or do something to break the concentration being pointed at him. Feeling rather foolish, Charlie stepped forward and offered up the gifts he was still holding.

“I brought you something. I bought it downstairs in the gift shop. I hope you like it. Just something to help you pass the time really,” Charlie rambled on as he handed over the bag with the books. “There is also a plant. I was told it is easy to care for.” He set the plant down on the little table next to the bed.

“Thank you. You didn’t have to do this you know.”

“It really wasn’t much, Mr. Reeds.”

“Well it seems you have me at a disadvantage,” stated Mr. Reeds piercing him with an intense stare again.

Charlie stared at Mr. Reeds for a moment, confused.

“Oh, I am sorry. Sometimes I am just out of it. I’m Charlie, Charlie Wagner.” Charlie promptly put out his right hand to shake before noticing that Mr. Reeds’ right arm was the one in the cast. He turned an even brighter shade of scarlet and dropped his hand to his side.

Mr. Reeds began to laugh. It was deep and clear but lasted only a few moments as the pain shot across his face.

“Are you okay,” asked Charlie, concerned.

“I am, but my ribs aren’t enjoying me laughing.”

“Well, Mr. Reeds,” Charlie began but never got to say another word.

“Scott. My name is Scott. If you are going to keep talking to me use my name, Charlie. Mr. Reeds sounds so formal. Besides you know the joke.”

Charlie looked blankly at Scott.

“Oh, you didn’t get it. Scott Reeds is my name but all my life people usually go Scott reads what." Scott gently shook his head causing his dark hair to fall in curls around his ears. Charlie noticed but was immediately drawn back into Scott's conversation as he continued to talk. "Of course it doesn’t help now that I own a book store.”

“Oh,” Charlie began. Then he groaned for a moment.

“Come on, Charlie, the joke isn’t that bad.”

Charlie shook his head. It wasn’t the joke that had made him groan. He had just realized he had bought a mystery novel for a man who owned a book store.

“Let me see my gifts now,” Scott began as he one handed pulled out the two books Charlie had picked up for him. “Oh good that should keep me busy,” Scott stated as he spotted the Sudoku book. “Hey, I wanted to read this one. Thank you so much.”

Charlie still felt like the town fool. Blushing he just shook it head. “It was the least I could do. I wanted to thank you, for you know, saving me from myself.”

“Well, Charlie, you really have to pay attention to your surroundings,” Scott began and then yawned. “I’m sorry. I feel exhausted.”

“I am the one who is sorry. They told me not to wear you out and here I am still talking.”

“I expect you to come back to see me.” Scott stated firmly.

“I don’t want to bother you. They told me you can only have two visitors at a time until you go. I don’t want to stop your family and friends from seeing you, especially because you are here,” Charlie left the last part unfinished.

“Because I over did it when I stopped you from becoming road pizza,” laughed Scott. “It isn’t your fault really. I did misstep when I went to stop you from walking out into traffic.”

Charlie looked up only to realize that Scott had closed his eyes. There was a tap at the door and the nurse came in.

“Oh, he finally fell asleep did he? He had been fighting the sedatives. He will be out for the rest of the night, you know.”

Charlie shook his head and walked out of the room feeling relieved. Something odd was going on but for some reason he just couldn’t put his finger on it. Looking at his watch it was now just after two in the afternoon. Figuring he needed to straighten out his head, Charlie took the elevator down and handed in his visitor’s pass. Already he planned to go home, finish grading the student’s assignments and maybe get some baking in to relax. He had some things to think about and decide on.

With this behind him, Charlie has things to think about. Comments are welcomed as always. Thank you for your continued support. If you don't feel like leaving the comment here please do so on the story thread.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



something going on?? :o Intense blue eyes??? :o:D keep 'em coming.. and sooner pls :P

 

'Scott reads... what??'

:lol:

Link to comment
On 04/12/2011 02:10 AM, Frostina said:
something going on?? :o Intense blue eyes??? :o:D keep 'em coming.. and sooner pls :P

 

'Scott reads... what??'

:lol:

Glad you enjoyed it. As you can see I like a little humor in my stories. Glad it wasn't lost. And busy already on Chapter 5. Just needed to correct the errors I had on 4 which is why it took so long. Thanks for waiting though, Frosty.
Link to comment

Mr. Reeds owns a book store! A dream job! And how old is Charlie excactly? He must look really young :P

 

Really liked the interaction between guys. And the hospital surroundings just fit perfectly to make an awkward introduction. I'm looking forward on Charlie pondering about his dilemma.

Link to comment
On 04/13/2011 06:17 AM, Marzipan said:
Mr. Reeds owns a book store! A dream job! And how old is Charlie excactly? He must look really young :P

 

Really liked the interaction between guys. And the hospital surroundings just fit perfectly to make an awkward introduction. I'm looking forward on Charlie pondering about his dilemma.

Yes, Mr Reeds owns a book store. There is more to come about him as the story develops. As for Charlie's pondering of his various problems that is part of the next chapter's story. Well on its way and hopefully up either tonight or tomorrow. Glad everyone is enjoying it so far.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Oh, I like Mr. Reeds What... He's funny and sweet too. I'm seeing love interest in the future. Well I hope I am, he's too perfect not to! The storyline isn't twisty and new but I'm so drawn into the characters and who they are combined with their interactions that it doesn't matter. It's great the way it is.

Link to comment
On 04/20/2011 01:38 AM, Cia said:
Oh, I like Mr. Reeds What... He's funny and sweet too. I'm seeing love interest in the future. Well I hope I am, he's too perfect not to! The storyline isn't twisty and new but I'm so drawn into the characters and who they are combined with their interactions that it doesn't matter. It's great the way it is.
Well life does not always run in new directions but each person's story is a new take on life. Glad you are enjoying it.
Link to comment

I like what you said in response to Cia's review. I kinda like the "realistic" stories, sometimes more than the twisty ones.

 

Haha, Charlie got mistaken for a kid! Happened to me once :P

Link to comment
On 05/06/2011 03:01 PM, Sara Alva said:
I like what you said in response to Cia's review. I kinda like the "realistic" stories, sometimes more than the twisty ones.

 

Haha, Charlie got mistaken for a kid! Happened to me once :P

Glad you are enjoying the story. Hopefully I keep your interest. Just waiting on my editor at this point. He is a bit backed up and has the next three chapters.
Link to comment

haha Mr Reeds what :P and an older man eh? :P the story is developing nicely, i think I've got time for another chapter before heading to lectures so I'm gonna pop off to read again hehe nice work Wayne :)

Link to comment
On 06/14/2011 10:12 PM, Agaith said:
haha Mr Reeds what :P and an older man eh? :P the story is developing nicely, i think I've got time for another chapter before heading to lectures so I'm gonna pop off to read again hehe nice work Wayne :)
Stu, What else would you expect from me? Remember though this story is basically a romance. Things take time. :)
Link to comment

add me to the catch, I are hooked. I hated to stop and review. I was torn. I wanted to read on, but felt you derserved a review.. great job. more please.

Link to comment
On 07/06/2011 01:27 PM, sojourn said:
add me to the catch, I are hooked. I hated to stop and review. I was torn. I wanted to read on, but felt you derserved a review.. great job. more please.
Thanks Sojourn. I write them out but manage to post once a week. Glad you are enjoying Charlie's story. Just glad the added length isn't chasing anyone away. :)
Link to comment

Oooooh...I like where this is heading! Mr. Reeds sounds yummy! I like guys with very expressionate eyes. Very intense, very sexy! :)

 

How old is Charlie? I might have missed his age if it was said already.

Link to comment
On 08/11/2011 06:25 AM, K.C. said:
Oooooh...I like where this is heading! Mr. Reeds sounds yummy! I like guys with very expressionate eyes. Very intense, very sexy! :)

 

How old is Charlie? I might have missed his age if it was said already.

Charlie is in his early 20s. Sorry I have everything dated and all but not in front of me. LOL. Keep reading. His birthday is later in the story so you will know exactly how old he is.
Link to comment

I really like this chapter. Charlie seemed so cute getting caught staring and Scott seems like he'll be a fun guy to be around. The Scott reads what thing had me laughing.

 

Is the part where Scott speaks the first time supposed to be in italics?

Link to comment
On 08/14/2011 05:20 PM, Ramon said:
I really like this chapter. Charlie seemed so cute getting caught staring and Scott seems like he'll be a fun guy to be around. The Scott reads what thing had me laughing.

 

Is the part where Scott speaks the first time supposed to be in italics?

I had some problem at first going from what my editor uses and my program for writing. I have to go back and reformat a lot of it yet. Sorry it was distracting.
Link to comment

Baking? :blink: I thought his name was charlie not wayne :P

Despite his appearance, it appears the good Mr. Reeds is something of a nerd as well - hmm that could be good for Wayne . . . err . . . Charlie, especially since he's been asked to come back. One can't say no to the man who saved your life - in some cultures - Like those on Long Island's south shore - if a man saves your life you're required to have intense sexual relations with him for as long as you can both handle it - at least that's what I was told when I lived on the 'Island' :whistle:

Link to comment
On 10/14/2011 09:44 AM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Baking? :blink: I thought his name was charlie not wayne :P

Despite his appearance, it appears the good Mr. Reeds is something of a nerd as well - hmm that could be good for Wayne . . . err . . . Charlie, especially since he's been asked to come back. One can't say no to the man who saved your life - in some cultures - Like those on Long Island's south shore - if a man saves your life you're required to have intense sexual relations with him for as long as you can both handle it - at least that's what I was told when I lived on the 'Island' :whistle:

In that case Andy I better get out there and save some young man's life. :lol: But bits and pieces of myself bleed into both the characters here. Look at this way, at least you get some good recipes. :P
Link to comment

I'm so liking this Comic, I'm big into emotions, and I can really feel the atmosphere around Charlie :)

Like Qtee said I can see you too :P Lovely story Comic :hug:

Link to comment
On 01/08/2012 11:51 PM, Mark92 said:
I'm so liking this Comic, I'm big into emotions, and I can really feel the atmosphere around Charlie :)

Like Qtee said I can see you too :P Lovely story Comic :hug:

Well I put a bit of myself into them. I had to make them more than just a character so I did what I could to breathe life into them.
Link to comment

Sorry for the late review... I fell asleep at the wheel.... Now I've woken up with a space bar dent in my forhead. Not exactly my most shining moment. Loved the chapter and glad that they finally were able to meet. I'm anxious to see where this leads!

Link to comment
On 02/10/2012 10:09 PM, MidnightMan said:
Sorry for the late review... I fell asleep at the wheel.... Now I've woken up with a space bar dent in my forhead. Not exactly my most shining moment. Loved the chapter and glad that they finally were able to meet. I'm anxious to see where this leads!
You are early in the tale yet, MM. Still a lot of twists and turns to get through.
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..