Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 2,292 Words
  • 10,322 Views
  • 30 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 6. Chapter 6 - The Music Knew the End

Charlie's day is one of ups and downs and endings.

Chapter 6 – The Music Knew the End

Charlie awoke before the first rosy fingers of dawn had spread across the dark sky. He woke feeling depressed and could not figure out why, for the life of him. Sitting up, he stretched but felt completely out of sorts so he forced himself out of bed.

Charlie usually was graceful when he got up. This morning he stumbled into the bathroom, washed his face, and brushed his teeth. Then he took his time and carefully shaved his face. While he did, he stared into his own eyes in the mirror. What is wrong with me this morning? I know I got enough sleep. Why on earth do I feel so off?

Charlie felt a little more alert as he strolled out to the kitchen and turned on the coffee pot. Moments later the delicious aroma of coffee was floating through the apartment. Charlie could not help but breathe deep and feel more awake. He grabbed a bowl out of one cabinet and turned to another to grab his Raisin Bran. He quickly poured himself a bowl, put away the box, and went to the refrigerator. Automatically he poured milk into the bowl and set the milk down. He grabbed his favorite mug, a Star Trek mug that was a gift from Ted, and poured out his coffee and added the milk. Then without even thinking about it he put the milk away and took his mug to table.

Returning to the kitchen Charlie grabbed his cereal and a spoon and headed back to the table to eat. While he slowly munched his way through his cereal, he sat puzzling through what was bothering him. Unable to pin down what was bothering him he began to work his way through the day’s plans. The blueberry buckle he would wrap up and give to Marie, who had been an angel and arranged coverage and everything else for him. Besides, he thought with a smile, I know she loves blueberries and this will make her day. The students, on the other hand, would have their assembly today in the gym with the local police to discuss Halloween safety and ways they could help to keep themselves safe. Like keeping an eye on the area you walking in so you are not in an accident, he thought grimly to himself. Shaking his head, he walked over to the sink to do up his breakfast dishes and those he had left from the night before.

Once everything was done, Charlie went in to his bedroom and got dressed. This morning he was not taking any chances with his appearance. He pulled out a deep emerald shirt, a light green tie that had dark blue diamonds on it, and a dark blue pair of pants. Once dressed, he called a cab. Better safe than sorry is my motto today.

The morning seemed to pass by in a blur. Marie loved the buckle and grateful that Charlie was doing well. She had told more than one of the teachers what Charlie had done for her, even going so far to say how really delicious it was. She had cut right into it and had a piece with her morning office coffee before the students had arrived.

His class arrived in hush that day. They kept looking up to make sure Mr. Wagner was okay. Charlie had barely finished roll call when the questions from his students began.

“Did you get hurt?” asked Debbie a very outspoken first grader in the front row. Charlie hadn’t gotten to even begin to figure out what he would say when the next question was shot at him.

“Did you go hospital?” shyly questioned Tony, his big brown eyes wide open as he stared at his teacher.

Charlie took a moment to smile before he said anything. “Tony, the question should have been, did you go to the hospital?” Tony gulped, nodded, and looked carefully at Charlie. “Yes, Tony, I did go to the hospital. I wasn’t hurt though, okay. I went to see the man who saved me.”

“Is he a hero, Mr. Wagner?” solemnly quizzed Maya, her black ponytail bouncing in time as she asked the question. The little girl had barely said more than a few sentences all year so far. Charlie was happy to see she was concerned and wanted to know what was happening.

“Yes, Maya, Mr. Reeds is a hero.”

The students looked wide-eyed at him after that comment. Realizing that time was marching on, he glanced up and saw the last of the first grade classes heading out to the gymnasium.

“Okay row one line up by the door. Remember no pushing.”

The first row quickly lined up neatly by the door. Then row by row, the students joined the others until all nineteen were in two straight lines. Charlie turned off the lights and led his class to the assembly.

The students were good and listened carefully as two police officers explained how to be safe going trick or treating. The police explained to the students what not to eat and why from their treat bags. They also went on to explain how important it was to pay attention when walking around, check at corners for oncoming cars, and other important tips. They also had coloring books to help reinforce the lessons for all the first grade classes. The students loved it.

When the Art teacher arrived to take the students for their forty-minute class, Charlie sighed in relief. Talking to his class had reminded him how he needed to check up on Mr. Reeds and make sure he was doing okay.

“I need to be connected to room 515, Mr. Reeds' bed please.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, Sir. Mr. Reeds was released about a half hour ago. They had only kept him overnight for observation on his ribs.”

“Oh,” was all Charlie could think to say. He hadn’t expected that Mr. Reeds would be released so quickly from the hospital. Guess I don’t have to worry about seeing those blue eyes again.

After the call to the hospital, Charlie felt even more out of sorts. His mind seemed to be buzzing but he figured he might as well try to get everything sorted out. He took a deep breath and quickly called Tina’s cell phone. It rang and went to voice mail.

“Hi, Tina. It is just me. I know you have dance class tonight. Please come see me after it. I will be expecting you around eight. We need to talk.”

Well that could have gone smoother. I wonder why I was so nervous about it. I mean I will simply set up a nice dinner at her favorite Italian restaurant and make it a night to remember for her.

The lessons for the remainder of the day went smoothly. Charlie only had time to brood during lunch when his students ate and he also had his lunch break.For some reason he couldn’t put his finger on, the later it got in the day, the more agitated he became. He found he kept checking the clock and was feeling as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.The final bell rang and Charlie took his students out and put them all on their buses. Then he returned to his room, cleaned up, and packed up the few things he needed to grade tonight.

Charlie strolled down to where he could catch the local bus back to his apartment. He decided he would stop at the Chinese restaurant for dinner. He didn’t feel like going back to cook for himself tonight. Instead, he grabbed some fried wanton, a small container of chicken fried rice, and a small container of egg drop soup. He went home and snacked his way through the evening while he graded his papers then cleaned up the apartment.

Feeling sort of lonely waiting for Tina to finish her class, Charlie turned on his cd player. In the machine had been the last Adele album. Slowly the old Bob Dylan song came on and Charlie began to sing along. Careful Charlie, you might discover what you don’t want to. Charlie wondered where that had come from. Suddenly he stopped as he listened to the next few lines.

I’d go hungry; I’d go black and blue.

I’d go crawling down the avenue.

No, there’s nothing that I wouldn’t do

To make you feel my love.

Charlie stopped cold. Oh, lord. I cannot believe it. That is what she has wanted. Charlie had to sit down and think. His own parents suddenly filled his mind. He could clearly seem them. Charlie could remember the times that his father slipped in silently from work and placed a rose on his mother’s papers. Then he could picture seeing her turn to look at him with a look of such devotion on her face. The times his mother rushed home from work to bake up a batch of chocolate raisin oatmeal cookies because she knew that his father loved them. The surprise hugs one or the other slipped around to let their mate know how much they cared. That is what Tina wanted. She wanted to know how much I cared for her. Then the thought he had been hiding from all day surfaced. However, I just don’t love her that way. If Charlie had not been sitting down, he would have fallen from the impact.

Charlie sat there stunned at what had just happened. The music continued to play in the background as he tried to digest what he had just realized. He tried to argue with himself at first but there something honest about it. He wouldn’t be able to lie to Tina. The time had come to set her free and Charlie knew this was just going to be a disaster.

Charlie was still sitting at the table when there was a knock on his apartment door. Looking up Charlie noted Tina was five minutes early. She always likes to make sure she is on time. Somehow, I think she will even be early for her own funeral. Stop that. You care too much about her, so don’t you dare do any more to hurt her. This is all your fault so let her down easy and let her hate you as much as she needs to. The thoughts flew through Charlie’s mind as he walked over and opened the door.

Tina stood there looking relieved. Charlie could almost see the hope that she had for them. It hurt him to look at her when he knew what he had to do.

“I’m glad you came, Tina. I wasn’t sure you would after what you had to say to me,” Charlie said softly as he looked at her feet. Look up Charlie. You owe her that. He knew now some part of himself was going to make sure that he gave her what she needed.

“Charlie, I’m sorry. I never should have made that ultimatum. I was so frustrated. I realize I wasn’t fair to you. I love you. You know I do.” There were tears in her eyes and Charlie could see how much she truly cared about him.

“I know you do, Tina. However, you forced me to look at us. Really, take a good look at us. I realized something you already knew.” Charlie swallowed and looked Tina in the eyes. This was going to hurt and he could not let her think he was a total coward. “I don’t treat you right. I don’t treat you like my parents treat each other. I know you love me Tina. You show me that every chance you get. However, I never have done that with you. I didn’t realize how much I was hurting you. I just did whatever you wanted. Whatever would make you happy was the easy answer. It made me happy.” Charlie paused. Tina was already beginning to cry. The soft sobs showed how she was trying very hard to keep it together. Charlie’s heart was breaking. It would be so easy to lie and just make her happy for now. He knew he could with a few words but she would hate him so much more and he knew he would hate himself.

“The thing is Tina you were right. I never initiated anything at all. Just before you got here, I was listening to that Adele album you bought me. One of my mother’s favorite songs came on. You know the song, Make You Feel My Love, well it began to play. I finally realized what you wanted from me. Tina, you know me, you know me better than almost anyone does. I can’t be that. I don’t know how. I can’t hurt you anymore.” The tears were now streaming from Charlie’s face. He didn’t know what to say as Tina’s sobs grew and wracked her body. He reached for her but as his hands touched her she suddenly jerked away. Through tear-streaked eyes, he watched her turn and walk out. He heard her crying as she walked away again. This time he did not think he would be seeing her return ever again.

Wordlessly he closed and locked his apartment door. He walked like a zombie back to his room and stripped down to his boxers. As he climbed onto the bed, he wrapped his arms around himself and cried himself to sleep.

As usual I love comments. You may leave them here or on the forum for this story. Thank you for taking the time to read my tale of Charlie.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Administrator

The emotions in this one seesaw back and forth so much. You really capture that with this chapter. I like that Charlie came to the realization on his own and then made sure to give Tina the truth. He may seem weak in some ways but he really is very strong. And c'mon... he can find Mr. Reed. He's got his name and that he's a bookstore owner. In the world of the internet he just needs a bit of ingenuity and drive to find him, even before that it wouldn't be too hard. How are they going to meet up again? I know they will. Don't make us hurt you. Bring back Mr. Reed!!!

Link to comment
On 04/20/2011 01:58 AM, Cia said:
The emotions in this one seesaw back and forth so much. You really capture that with this chapter. I like that Charlie came to the realization on his own and then made sure to give Tina the truth. He may seem weak in some ways but he really is very strong. And c'mon... he can find Mr. Reed. He's got his name and that he's a bookstore owner. In the world of the internet he just needs a bit of ingenuity and drive to find him, even before that it wouldn't be too hard. How are they going to meet up again? I know they will. Don't make us hurt you. Bring back Mr. Reed!!!
My dear Cia would you allow Charlie to cry? I mean he did just end a relationship of nearly two years. I never promised things would be smooth or how you expected. Just going to have to wait.
Link to comment

Why can't Charlie cry? :o He's just human after all!

*sigh* poor guy! thinking abt the blue eyes and breaking up with Tina.. can he be more confused? :/

Link to comment
On 04/20/2011 02:45 PM, Frostina said:
Why can't Charlie cry? :o He's just human after all!

*sigh* poor guy! thinking abt the blue eyes and breaking up with Tina.. can he be more confused? :/

Frosty I just meant Charlie was crying at the end of the chapter. Cia is hoping I toss him right into Reeds' bed. Like I would do such a thing. :lol: Charlie has things to learn yet. Time will tell.
Link to comment

So Charlie makes some relevations of himself. Really good. Now who is gonna go and look for the other, Charlie or mr. Blue Eyes? Setting Lisa free is something I can relate to. Been there and done that with my ex bf for likely the same reasons now coming to surface with Charlie. I am so looking forward for more. I thing this pace, slow and melancholic is perfect for this story, so if someone says speed it up, don't listen. Well that is my opinnion. :)

Link to comment

Comicfan:

Thanks for the great story I check the site for updates several times a day. My heart broke when Charlie came to realize he did not "Love" Tina. Please hurry & post the next chapter.

Link to comment
On 04/21/2011 04:50 AM, Marzipan said:
So Charlie makes some relevations of himself. Really good. Now who is gonna go and look for the other, Charlie or mr. Blue Eyes? Setting Lisa free is something I can relate to. Been there and done that with my ex bf for likely the same reasons now coming to surface with Charlie. I am so looking forward for more. I thing this pace, slow and melancholic is perfect for this story, so if someone says speed it up, don't listen. Well that is my opinnion. :)
Things happen as they happen. Charlie's whole story has taken place in three days so far. The poor guy has been through a lot. I don't know what you mean? Mr. Blue Eyes? lol. Give Charlie a chance. Time will tell what happens.
Link to comment
On 04/21/2011 08:33 AM, saintsfan820 said:
Comicfan:

Thanks for the great story I check the site for updates several times a day. My heart broke when Charlie came to realize he did not "Love" Tina. Please hurry & post the next chapter.

I am glad you are enjoying the story. Hard at work on the next chapter now. One thing you know is Charlie takes life at his own pace. He is a stand up sort of guy.
Link to comment

like this chapter. like the song. like the story overall. you're obviously a proper writer - you're so patient with your build up. very impressive.

Link to comment
On 05/26/2011 04:10 AM, carringtonrj said:
like this chapter. like the song. like the story overall. you're obviously a proper writer - you're so patient with your build up. very impressive.
Thank you so much. I try to write what I would enjoy reading. Glad so many people are taking an interest. I'm just a few chapters ahead now but as my editor and beta finish up I post them. Thank you for not only reading my story but taking the time to comment on it.
Link to comment
Then row by row, the students joined the others until all nineteen were in two straight lines.

 

:o 19 to 1?? My dream ratio. LAUSD is saying 32 to 1 next year :(

 

BTW are Charlie's students english language learners?

 

Well, a very emotional chapter, and like Cia I agree it's good Charlie came to the realization on his own. Truthfully, it's something many people in relationships should probably do before falling into a commitment just because it's convenient.

Link to comment
On 05/30/2011 05:11 AM, Sara Alva said:
Then row by row, the students joined the others until all nineteen were in two straight lines.

 

:o 19 to 1?? My dream ratio. LAUSD is saying 32 to 1 next year :(

 

BTW are Charlie's students english language learners?

 

Well, a very emotional chapter, and like Cia I agree it's good Charlie came to the realization on his own. Truthfully, it's something many people in relationships should probably do before falling into a commitment just because it's convenient.

Well Sara I based the class off of the ones some of my teacher's use to have. 20 to 22 kids at most. Next year they have been told they might have 36 in their rooms. I don't know where the kids are suppose to sit. Actually the class is just your normal American class. Mixed variety of students and all. Glad you are enjoying it.
Link to comment

mmm emotional chapter and a lot of hurt at the end. Charlie needed to do that though, it wouldn't have done either of them any good if it had dragged on.

Really enjoying the story Wayne :)

Link to comment
On 06/14/2011 10:30 PM, Agaith said:
mmm emotional chapter and a lot of hurt at the end. Charlie needed to do that though, it wouldn't have done either of them any good if it had dragged on.

Really enjoying the story Wayne :)

I appreciate you reading and commenting, Stu. I like to know that the story is being enjoyed. :)
Link to comment

Such an emotional chapter for both Charlie and Tina. Always sad to see a relationship outlive the romance. It fizzles and dies :( But It had to end to start a new beginning. Hope good things are coming Charlie's way :D

 

 

Link to comment
On 08/13/2011 07:35 AM, K.C. said:
Such an emotional chapter for both Charlie and Tina. Always sad to see a relationship outlive the romance. It fizzles and dies :( But It had to end to start a new beginning. Hope good things are coming Charlie's way :D

 

Endings and beginnings are never easy. It is hard when what you have thought was going to be the long run ends and you are left alone though neither one is really wrong. Charlie will go on and so will Tina.
Link to comment

That was expected but it is still sad to see them break up. :( This was a good chapter. The emotions come off as authentic and you can really feel what the characters are feeling. Nicely done!

Link to comment
On 08/14/2011 05:45 PM, Ramon said:
That was expected but it is still sad to see them break up. :( This was a good chapter. The emotions come off as authentic and you can really feel what the characters are feeling. Nicely done!
Thank you. I didn't want this to just be a cartoon or the characters to be cardboard cut outs. I hope you are enjoying them and that they live for you.
Link to comment

Wayne, I have only just started reading this story, and I regret not doing it sooner. Charlie is a very emotional character, who needs to find his own path and love life. It feels like, so far, he has been like some floatsome in the river, without any control over his actions, happy (?) to let someone else decide for him.

This is well written and I love your use of metaphors. In at least 2 occurrences I wondered if expressions you used where some NY vernacular that I've mever heard before or your own creations. Well done, in any case. :)

Link to comment
On 09/19/2011 05:21 PM, Bleu said:
Wayne, I have only just started reading this story, and I regret not doing it sooner. Charlie is a very emotional character, who needs to find his own path and love life. It feels like, so far, he has been like some floatsome in the river, without any control over his actions, happy (?) to let someone else decide for him.

This is well written and I love your use of metaphors. In at least 2 occurrences I wondered if expressions you used where some NY vernacular that I've mever heard before or your own creations. Well done, in any case. :)

Bleu, I am glad you have begun to read Charlie. He is pretty close to my heart. As for the speech patterns, well they are what I am accustomed to hearing both on Long Island where the story takes place, and up in Connecticut where I lived for six years. I hope it all makes sense to you but if something doesn't please feel free to let me know.
Link to comment

Am I allowed to say UFF :blink: and just leave it at that?

 

No? Well, wow, I don't know - no scratch that, I KNOW I couldn't do what Charlie did. That took some fierce guts to do that.

 

So NOW does Ted appear, then profess their undying love and have crazy wild sex for hours on end? Please? 0:)

Link to comment
On 10/14/2011 12:31 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Am I allowed to say UFF :blink: and just leave it at that?

 

No? Well, wow, I don't know - no scratch that, I KNOW I couldn't do what Charlie did. That took some fierce guts to do that.

 

So NOW does Ted appear, then profess their undying love and have crazy wild sex for hours on end? Please? 0:)

Why does everyone immediately go to Ted? :lol: Keep reading, Andy. More to tell you after you get a bit further in.
Link to comment

'Charlie awoke before the first rosy fingers of dawn had spread across the dark sky' Fabulous imagry. I'm glad Charlie let her go, though I am surprised it disturbed him as much as it did to do it. I suppose parting ways after a two year investment of time and emotion is never a simple matter. I have time to squeeze in one more chapter before I carry my brother to work. Thanks again for another great chapter!

Link to comment
On 02/10/2012 10:38 PM, MidnightMan said:
'Charlie awoke before the first rosy fingers of dawn had spread across the dark sky' Fabulous imagry. I'm glad Charlie let her go, though I am surprised it disturbed him as much as it did to do it. I suppose parting ways after a two year investment of time and emotion is never a simple matter. I have time to squeeze in one more chapter before I carry my brother to work. Thanks again for another great chapter!
I think any relationship you commit to, no matter how long, is painful when it ends. Charlie just had some things he needed to realize and Tina forced him to finally take a look at their possible life together and realize it wouldn't work. Taking that look showed Charlie they were missing something his parents had. The time had come to move on.
Link to comment

Sometimes doing the right things hurts like hell, but you need to do it anyway.

At least Charlie was as broken as Tina, and not a cad about it. This was a very emotional, but much needed scenario to continue with Charlie's saga I think.

 

The few hints you have subtly dropped I hope are fixing to come into play. Great job!

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..