Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,907 Words
  • 9,769 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 8. Chapter 8 - Trouble with Gifts

Charlie spends his morning shopping for gifts. What could happen?

Chapter 8 – Trouble with Gifts

At eight am on Sunday morning Charlie finally took his car out of storage. Since Tina had been willing to pick him up everyday Charlie had put his car into his parking spot at the apartment, covered it, and only stopped to keep the battery charged and it clean. Needless to say it really hadn’t been driven anywhere in over five months.

I hope I remember what I am doing. The thought shot through his mind when he finally got behind the wheel and pulled out into traffic. First things first, I need coffee. Charlie headed over to Dunkin Donuts and got a medium black. He treated himself to a cinnamon bagel with cream cheese too. He grabbed a table and sat down to have breakfast. Too early for the mall yet, and the local places aren’t open yet either. Why did I get up so early?

Realizing he had time to waste Charlie decided to people watch. He watched out the window as crowds pulled up and either came into to get coffee, or walked next door to the Laundromat to do their laundry. Some people came by themselves. He watched as young men and women seemed to rush in; coming to throw all their laundry into a machine, then turning around and heading back out. Some took the time to come in and grab something for breakfast before heading out in their cars for other errands. Then there were the families. As he sat by the window he watched some families turn into moving crews as bag after bag of laundry was passed through the various members, from the car to the doorway of the Laundromat, in what seemed to be a never-ending parade of bags. So many people doing what should have been the same job so differently just fascinated Charlie. In fact, he got so lost in watching the chaos around him that when he finally glanced at his watch it was already ten after ten.

Charlie gathered up his garbage and tossed it in the trash. He headed back out and drove to the mall. He figured if there was any place he could find something for Rebecca and Kathy it would be there.

The twins were the favorites of all his nieces. He didn’t see them as often as he would have liked, but the girls had always gone out of their way to get to know him. Rebecca was the bookworm of the two. She was always working on a new project; writing a story, finishing some translation, or just sitting in the corner her face buried in a book. It was her desire for knowledge that led her to college. Kathy was her polar opposite. Kathy loved the outdoors, hiking, gardening, soccer, and swimming. She had won countless awards for sports. Due to the strength of her sports career, and help from Rebecca, she had also gone to college. The two girls were due to finish their degree this December. Charlie was very proud of both of them. He could remember when they had told him they had gotten accepted to Vassar.

“Hey Unc, guess what?” Kathy asked standing on the front stoop as he answered the front door.

“Someone let you out of their sight, so you decided to bother me?” quipped Charlie as he let them into the house.

“Honestly, you two should just give it up. No one would buy your show, you are both horrible actors,” stated Rebecca as she kissed Charlie on the cheek on the way into the house. “We figured we would tell you, and then the grandparents.”

“Tell me what?” asked Charlie. The girls hardly seemed to do anything without giving him a phone call. They had jokingly referred to him as their older brother and sounding board for ideas.

“That we got into college,” began Kathy. “But, we doubt the rest will care as much as you.”

"In that case you either got into Harvard or Vassar. I know you two too well. Which accepted you, or did both?”

“Well we wanted to stay together so it was Vassar,” Rebecca said simply.

“They accepted me into their Computer Science program,” Kathy stated proudly.

“Of course they did, sis. Me, I am going into their English program. I don’t think I want to teach at the high school level, so might just go on for my Masters and PHD in it.”

“Well that is terrific my darlings,” announced Barbara from the doorway of the living room.

“Grandma, how the hell are we supposed to surprise you if you eavesdrop?” Rebecca stood up and walked over to hug her.

“Yes, Grandma, you know you seem to guess or hear everything before anyone gets to tell you,” grumped Kathy as she too walked over to hug and give her a kiss.

Charlie smiled at the memory. Well now he just had to find something perfect for their birthday. So he was off to the mall.

Nearly two hours of shopping found him getting Kathy a personalized bag for her sports stuff, and a new snow globe. He had been giving one to her ever since he had earned enough money to buy his own gifts for his family. She had proudly put each one out on a shelf. The last had been one of Lady and the Tramp. Disney was one of her weaknesses and she loved anything that came from there. The problem was he still hadn’t found anything perfect for Rebecca yet. Checking the time he realized he had to leave the mall and head back towards his home so he could pick up his mother’s gifts for the girls.

Driving through Patchogue he was not surprised to see he couldn’t park on Main Street. The town had been slowly trying to bring people back to the heart of the village. Now there were all sorts of restaurants, specialty shops, and places of interest. It was getting harder and harder to ignore how the village was coming back to life.

Turning at the nearest corner, Charlie planned to park as close as he could so he could and just walk back to the frame store. As he pulled into the nearest empty spot, he looked up and noticed that the old music shop was no more. Instead, it was now a book store. Glancing at the sign he stopped cold. On a piece of stylized wood, which looked like a scroll, were the words Reeds’ Reads. He had unexpectedly come across Scott Reeds’ store.

At first he just sat there staring. Come on, you know you should go check on him. His mind was already steps ahead of his body. Just thinking momentarily of Scott filled his mind again with that image of his bright blue eyes. Shaking his head he slowly got out of the car and headed over to the store.

Looking in the window he could see they had taken over part of what was the empty store next door. Behind the counter was a girl with jet-black hair, black makeup, and even black clothes. Charlie laughed as he remembered some of the Goth kids from college. There didn’t appear to be anyone else in the store at the moment. Charlie took a deep breath and stepped inside.

“Hi. If you need help with anything just ask,” stated the girl behind the counter as she continued to pour over a book in front of her. Charlie smiled realizing she couldn’t really care less about his intrusion into the store. Charlie could smell the rich scent of books, leather bindings, and even the pine and cedar that had been used to make the shelving.

The front was made up for children and had an area for people to do readings. The store had it is usual divisions for romance, science fiction, new age, self-help, children, and there was even an area for manga. What surprised Charlie was the special editions area. Here he found signed copies of various books for sale and all of them came with proof of signature. Among them was a signed limited edition of Harry Potter. Charlie knew he had to have it for Rebecca.

“Excuse me,” Charlie began to get the girl’s attention.

“Yes,” she said, finally looking up from the book. She had sky blue eyes, but to Charlie something seemed a bit off.

“Um,” Charlie began still trying to figure out what was bothering him. Seeing the girl looking at him he finally came back to himself. “Yes, I want the signed edition you have of Harry Potter.”

“You realize that is expensive and nonrefundable,” she stated in a no nonsense tone of voice.

“Yes,” Charlie said with a smile.

She got up and grabbed some keys. She went back to the locked case, carefully opened it, and took the Harry Potter book out. Locking the case back up she carefully carried the book to the front of the store where she wrapped it. Figuring out the bill, she rang it up and Charlie happily paid for it.

“Before I go, is Mr. Reeds here?”

“Oh, no, Dad isn’t here right now.”

Dad isn’t here right now? Oh my God, the man is married. I almost killed a family man. Charlie nodded and took his package and headed out to his car. He never looked back.

“Hey, Julie, who was that?”

“Don’t know. He paid cash for the book. God I wish I had that kind of money. But he did ask for Dad.”

Nick stood and shook his head. He had been organizing things in the back room and had just seen someone leave the store. He had hurried out in case he could be of assistance, but it seemed he was too late.

“Julie, you really have to stop calling him that.”

“What are you talking about?” Julie looked at Nick rather angrily.

“Calling Scott Dad. Someone is going to take you serious one day.”

“Oh come off it. I don’t look anything like him.”

“Who would know? You wear oversized clothes, dye your hair, and wear blue contacts. Unless they had seen you before they wouldn’t have any idea.”

There was a pause while Julie thought it about. Unlike Nick with his dark Italian looks she might be mistaken for something.

“You’re right, I guess. But face it, with the way he takes care of us he is like a dad and we only work for him.”

“You were suppose to ask any strange guy if they were the one,” Nick pointed out to Julie.

“You don’t think he might have been the one from the accident? I mean he was cute and all, but he seemed too pulled together to let himself walk into traffic.”

“I don’t know, but you better hope Scott doesn’t find out.”

“Better hope I don’t find out about what?” The deep voice of Scott Reeds bounded across the store as he walked out of the storeroom in the back. His cast shined in the overhead lights and in his hand was the key to the back door.

Julie smiled sweetly. “That I think I overcharged the guy who bought your Harry Potter signed edition.”

Scott nodded and waited to hear the rest, but then Julie turned back to her book and Nick slid neatly back to the storeroom to finish unpacking the latest shipment.

As usual I love comments to let me know what you liked, didn't like, are curious to find out. Don't mind those points for the story either. If you want to go to the forum to leave comments that is good too. Enjoy.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



wow! did NOT see that coming! i went :o and then <_< and then Omy!

 

Poor Charlie! :/ as if he didnt have enough to worry about!

 

Waiting for the next one to see how things pan out for the adorable, clumsy guy! ^_^

Link to comment
On 05/24/2011 03:01 AM, Frostina said:
wow! did NOT see that coming! i went :o and then <_< and then Omy!

 

Poor Charlie! :/ as if he didnt have enough to worry about!

 

Waiting for the next one to see how things pan out for the adorable, clumsy guy! ^_^

Yeah, well nothing goes smooth for Charlie. Think of him as just trying to get through life. He is a loveable guy but his path hasn't been smooth. Glad you are enjoying it Frosty. As soon as my editor finishes my chapters they will be up.
Link to comment

Felt soo bad when I realized Julie lied to Charlie :(Can't wait to see what Scott has to say about the "LIE". Glad to see more of Charlie's family showing up, looking forward to seeing them interact with Charlie and how he reacts to them. Keep up the good work looking for the next few chapters.

Link to comment
On 05/24/2011 04:39 AM, saintsfan820 said:
Felt soo bad when I realized Julie lied to Charlie :(Can't wait to see what Scott has to say about the "LIE". Glad to see more of Charlie's family showing up, looking forward to seeing them interact with Charlie and how he reacts to them. Keep up the good work looking for the next few chapters.
Yes the whole family shows up next chapter. Charlie has the advantage/disadvantage of being so much younger than his siblings. He sort of grew up with their children instead. I have a few surprises still in store. Don't worry, Scott hasn't been forgotten either.
Link to comment
On 05/24/2011 08:01 PM, adamo said:
really sweet and well written story :) i can't wait to see what happens next!
Thank you. Glad you are enjoying the story. As my editor catches up to me I am able to post. There are already four more chapters written and in their hands. I am hard at work on 13 right now. Hopefully you enjoy the ride.
Link to comment

The storyisgetting better and better so keep on writhing. I love every character an want to read more

:2thumbs:

Link to comment
On 05/25/2011 05:53 AM, morgnita said:
The storyisgetting better and better so keep on writhing. I love every character an want to read more

:2thumbs:

Then get ready. My poor editor has been slogging through everything and has the next two chapters done. They will be up in a short while. I am glad you are enjoying it.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Ooh, I like this chapter! I love well introduced sub characters. You added quite a few with this chapter and let us see more of 'super mom' Barbara. They seemed very real and at no time did I feel confused because you gave us just enough info to make them individuals. I did get one laugh. You have done what I've seen my whole life happen with my dad and uncle being twins, as well as a set of my brothers. So many people make them into a single entity and you did it with one line in this chapter, The twins were his favorite of all his nieces. That should read favorites since twins are 2 people, not a set so to speak. :P

Link to comment
On 06/09/2011 03:13 AM, Cia said:
Ooh, I like this chapter! I love well introduced sub characters. You added quite a few with this chapter and let us see more of 'super mom' Barbara. They seemed very real and at no time did I feel confused because you gave us just enough info to make them individuals. I did get one laugh. You have done what I've seen my whole life happen with my dad and uncle being twins, as well as a set of my brothers. So many people make them into a single entity and you did it with one line in this chapter, The twins were his favorite of all his nieces. That should read favorites since twins are 2 people, not a set so to speak. :P
Oops. Thanks for catching that one Cia. Guess the beta, the editor, myself, and someone who occasionally catches it all still missed it. I appreciate the help.
Link to comment

damn they just missed each other :P and ooh Scott's looking for Charlie too.hmmm.

Just a quick question: How old it Charlie? He is obviously not too old himself and yet is an Uncle. I'm guessing early twenties?

Going to read some more now :P hehe

Link to comment
On 06/15/2011 10:56 PM, Agaith said:
damn they just missed each other :P and ooh Scott's looking for Charlie too.hmmm.

Just a quick question: How old it Charlie? He is obviously not too old himself and yet is an Uncle. I'm guessing early twenties?

Going to read some more now :P hehe

Charlie is 22. He was a late in life baby and was born about the same time as all his nieces and nephews. His closer to in age to them, then his brother's and sisters. His brother Bobby is the closest in age and that is 19 years between them.
Link to comment

They were so close and missed each other? No! Now Charlie has even more to worry about :( . Good Chapter, at least Charlie knows where Scott is if he wants to stalk him right? :P

 

 

Link to comment
On 08/12/2011 08:00 AM, K.C. said:
They were so close and missed each other? No! Now Charlie has even more to worry about :( . Good Chapter, at least Charlie knows where Scott is if he wants to stalk him right? :P

 

Life is like that. How close can you come to something happening and then things change. Read on for more fun.
Link to comment

Aww they missed each other. Boo! Scott is making Julie and Nick keep an eye out for Charlie so there must have been a connection there.

Link to comment
On 08/14/2011 06:32 PM, Ramon said:
Aww they missed each other. Boo! Scott is making Julie and Nick keep an eye out for Charlie so there must have been a connection there.
I've been told I am good a cliff hangers. I just see it as how life happens. Enjoy
Link to comment
On 10/14/2011 12:50 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
Cute Chapter. Hopefully we see more of Julie and Nick, they seem part of Scott's 'family' so to speak.
Oh I don't believe in throw away characters, Andy. If they are in one chapter you can be sure they will be in others.
Link to comment

A bit of a rollercoaster ride this one. I was all hopped up waiting for them to meet... and then you cheated me out of it! You are a BAD MAN! j/k (well maybe not... we'll see in future chapters)

Couple of issues.... seemed to be a redundancy in word usage. I hadn't noticed in previous chapters but this one had a bit.

"He headed back out and headed to the mall" (headed headed) bag bag bag... people people people people... you get what I'm saying.

This line gave me pause as well...

"But, we doubt the rest will care as much as you where"

As much as you where? It took me a moment to wrap my mind around what you meant. Then again I'm a dimwit and lucky to have made it out of perochial school.

Okay... I have to warm up the car and carry my brother to work, then rush back so I can read more! Great stuff Comic! Loving it!

Link to comment
On 02/10/2012 11:16 PM, MidnightMan said:
A bit of a rollercoaster ride this one. I was all hopped up waiting for them to meet... and then you cheated me out of it! You are a BAD MAN! j/k (well maybe not... we'll see in future chapters)

Couple of issues.... seemed to be a redundancy in word usage. I hadn't noticed in previous chapters but this one had a bit.

"He headed back out and headed to the mall" (headed headed) bag bag bag... people people people people... you get what I'm saying.

This line gave me pause as well...

"But, we doubt the rest will care as much as you where"

As much as you where? It took me a moment to wrap my mind around what you meant. Then again I'm a dimwit and lucky to have made it out of perochial school.

Okay... I have to warm up the car and carry my brother to work, then rush back so I can read more! Great stuff Comic! Loving it!

Well if you don't have your ups downs in a story what fun is it?
Link to comment

Sheesh, fate is a bitch sometimes, that almost meeting, and mistaking Scott for a married man.

 

I am sure you will straighten this out soon. lol

Link to comment
On 11/06/2012 06:54 AM, joann414 said:
Sheesh, fate is a bitch sometimes, that almost meeting, and mistaking Scott for a married man.

 

I am sure you will straighten this out soon. lol

Did I say this would go smoothly? :whistle: Read on. :lol:
Link to comment

Oh oh that wasn't good, missing each other by mere minutes was bad enough now Charlie has the wrong idea....julie is not going to be in Scotts good books when he finds out

Link to comment
On 06/07/2013 08:06 AM, Daithi said:
Oh oh that wasn't good, missing each other by mere minutes was bad enough now Charlie has the wrong idea....julie is not going to be in Scotts good books when he finds out
Well mistakes are a part of life. So Charlie will learn as he goes along and correct or grow from them. Of course, Julie has to learn to watch what she says.
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..