Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 2,246 Words
  • 9,311 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Accidents Happen - 9. Chapter 9 - Birthday ... Surprise?

Well Charlie has to done his shopping and heads out to see his family. It is a birthday party to remember. Prepare to meet the Wagner clan.

Chapter 9 – Birthday … Surprise?

Charlie was thrown off by his encounter in the book store. He walked quickly around the corner and gathered his mother’s gifts for the girls. Without checking anything he put everything in the back of his car and drove off towards his parent’s home.

The drive gave him time to think. Oh my God, he is married. I should have checked when he was in the hospital. I never noticed a ring. I nearly got a married man killed trying to save me. Charlie’s mind was running in a vicious circle, but before he let it overwhelm him, his attention was taken up with the traffic on the road. While still shaken, it was now like he had walked into his classroom and he became completely focused- on getting there safely.

It was about a quarter after one when Charlie pulled up in front of his parent’s home. He pulled into the driveway and carefully began gathering his packages from out of the car.

“Hey Charlie, need a hand?” The deep voice of his father, Joe, called from the house.

“I got it Dad. Oh wait a minute, could you help? I have Mom’s gifts for the girls out here as well.” Charlie called over his shoulder as he began to gather the sports bag and the box from Disney out of his trunk. As he turned there stood his father looking rested and ready to lend a hand.

“What did she get them? You know your mother only half fills me in on these things,” he whispered to Charlie.

“Don’t you believe a word your father says Charlie. He knows what I bought, or would if he listened to me at all.” His mother called from the front door. Even Charlie wasn’t sure how she had heard his father’s comment from where she stood.

Charlie strode to the back of the car and handed his father the paintings his mother had framed for the girls. Then he grabbed the book out of the back seat and headed up to his mother, pausing only long enough to kiss her cheek on the way in.

“Your father is going to gather all the gifts on the table in the dining room, so you might as well just put yours there after you wrap them, Charlie. Extra wrapping paper and tags are in my office upstairs. Once you finish come down stairs and help me get the food ready for the party,” his mother rattled off as she headed toward the kitchen.

“You know your mother, once she gets a head of steam you should just stay out of her way. Go get your stuff wrapped Charlie. I’ll put these in the dining room.”

Charlie went to the closet in his mother’s office and pulled out her box of wrapping paper. There were all shades of colors and styles but Charlie found something he thought would work. For Kathy he wrapped her gifts in a bright pink paper that had Mickey Mouse outlines on it. The snow globe was quickly wrapped up and he dropped the sports backpack into a large gift bag that he found in the back of the closet. For Rebecca’s gift, he found a large box to put the book in. Then he wrapped it a pale blue paper that had stars and moons over it. He found his mother also had Happy Birthday tags and wrote one out for both gifts and filled out the tag on the gift bag. Having finished, Charlie toted them down and put them on the table in the dining room.

While he had been wrapping his gifts more of the family had arrived. Rick had arrived with his wife, Tonya. They were busy talking to his father over the living room. Their oldest son, William, was kidding around with Maria’s daughter Joan. Charlie looked, but Bobby and Jeanette hadn’t arrived yet with the twins. In the corner drinking a can of Pepsi were Rick Junior and his sister Kristy. Kristy was just twenty-two now, and had been working with her boyfriend in his family’s restaurant since age sixteen. That just left Maria and Jim to arrive with their other child, Joe.

Charlie walked over to the window to say hello to his niece and nephew.

“Hey Rick. Hi Kristy. How are you both doing?”

“Hey, Unc. I'm staying out of trouble for the moment. Although, truth be told there are things going on, no… never mind.” Rick kept looking out the window. Charlie wondered if something was wrong.

“Don’t mind him, Charlie. He’s just in a mood,” Kristy said softly.

“Something I can help with?”

“No,” Rick said rather tensely.

Charlie looked over and noticed how rigid Rick was holding himself. Something was definitely wrong here. He looked at Kristy who just silently shook her head no and mouthed not now to him. Charlie nodded in response and walked over to say hello William and Joan.

“Hi guys. How are things in your neck of the woods?”

William towered over Charlie. At six foot three, with two hundred pounds of solid muscle, people always noticed William when he walked into a room. He was three years older than Charlie and had his degree in building design. He had been busy lately working at the construction site where his latest design was in Maine. Joan had taken after her mother and had pursued an art career. While her mother worked on restoration and painting, Joan took to stone work and wood carving. She had been named an up and coming artist in the latest New York Times article.

“You know how it is, Uncle Charlie, work and then more work,” William said with a smile.

“Well, at least it is for him. Me, I’m taking a small break after that last project. Who knew someone would want my statues for their garden in Spain? I wasn’t expecting to be flown out there and do all the work in their yard. Last time I let my business manager make the arrangements. The first week I burned to a crisp.”

Charlie laughed, but could see the joking manner in which Joan said it all. He was proud that his family worked so hard at their jobs. He was enjoying the conversation so much he didn’t notice when his brother Rick walked up behind him and grabbed him from behind.

“So, little brother, still ignoring me?”

“How can I ignore the mountain that loves to rip me off my feet? Jeez, Rick, put me down.”

The family burst into laughter all around them.

Charlie was dangling in Rick’s bear hug about a foot off the ground. It was hard to look dignified or work up the proper rage with everyone laughing.

“You still haven’t said hello, Charlie,” his brother announced rather loudly.

“Well, I was making my way around the room you big brute, you just had to wait your turn,” Charlie grunted out as Rick finally put him down.

“Sorry, baby brother. You know I can’t resist picking on you.”

“Yeah, yeah, right Rick. You just got upset because you had to change my diapers. You’ve told me.” Charlie said it with such a straight face that Rick started to laugh.

The whole room started to laugh at the playful banter between Charlie and Rick when suddenly Barbara appeared in the door way. “I am glad to see the family getting along, but I believe I told Charlie to come help me in the kitchen. Now the rest of you miscreants get the room ready. The girls should be here in a moment.”

Charlie sheepishly followed his mother into the kitchen. He could see she had been busy. There were chips and dip in bowls, her special bacon turnovers on trays, and she was in the process of pulling a quiche out of the oven. The kitchen smelled delicious and Charlie walked over and snagged a chip.

“If you start eating all the food in here, Charlie, so help me God, I am going to crack you over the head with a rolling pin.”

Charlie smiled and popped the chip in his mouth.

“Stop eating and grab the celery out of the fridge to chop up for the dip. There are also carrots in the crisper. Snag a few and slice them up for me too.”

“Yes, Mom. I’m on it.”

“Good, while you do it tell me what has you out of sorts too.”

Charlie froze. How could she possibly know he was out of sorts? Sometimes, that woman scares me.

“Well,” began Charlie trying to find a way to deflect her. “Rick Junior is upset. I will have to check on him later to find out why.”

“He had a break up with his boyfriend that no one is supposed to know about. But that isn’t what is bothering you.”

Charlie froze with the knife in one hand and the celery in the other. “Mom, Rick is straight. I’ve met his girlfriends many times.”

“Charlie, Rick is bisexual and just had his heart broken by his first guy. Don’t you listen to your nieces and nephews?”

“Mom? You knew he was bisexual?”

“Why is everyone always surprised by what I know? Granted I know my son will flip when he finds out, but yes I know.”

“Wait, Rick doesn’t know his son is Bi? You do?”

“Charlie, stop asking silly questions and tell me what has you so upset!”

Charlie wasn’t sure which was more surreal at that moment. Charlie stopped cutting and finally told his mother about the accident. The look she gave him as he explained how he nearly walked out into traffic was enough to make him pause. He took a breath and just rushed on with everything else, giving a quick overview of going to see Scott Reeds and buying the gift that morning. He said he felt terrible that a family man had almost gotten killed saving him.

“Scott Reeds was his name?”

“Yes, why Mom?”

“Oh, just going to have to drop him a thank you note is all.”

The casual way she said that to Charlie alerted him more than a card going to happen shortly. He was about to ask more when his brother Bobby walked into the kitchen.

“Hi Mom!” Bobby walked over and kissed her cheek.

“Bobby, so glad you are here. Jeanette is in with everyone else?”

“Yes, she is. Hey Charlie. See Mom still has you on kitchen duty.”

“Well she knows she can always draft me for that. Are my favorite nieces here with you?”

“Naturally. Although Rebecca says she has an announcement to make at the party.”

Barbara stopped and stared at Bobby for a moment. Then shook her head and handed him a platter of her turnovers. “Go take this out to the mob.”

“Yes, Mom. See you out there in a moment Charlie.”

Charlie looked at his mother. “You know what she is going to announce, don’t you?”

“Charlie, you act like I read minds. Let’s just say I suspect what she is going to announce.”

Charlie just shrugged his shoulders and carried out a dish of chips and dip for the family.

The party was a hit. Everyone was soon talking and eating and having a ball. Eventually the girls were seated and their grandmother carried out the cake she had baked for them that read Happy 23rd Birthday Rebecca and Kathleen. The girls were then given their gifts. Rebecca cried when she seen the signed copy of the Harry Potter book and rushed over to hug Charlie. Kathy laughed when she opened the bag with her new sports bag, but even she cried when she opened up the snow globe.

After everything was cleaned up, and things were starting to wind down, Rebecca asked everyone to take a seat.

“You all know how little I like the limelight. Kathy is usually the one running around, but I wanted to tell everyone some big news. I have had someone very special come into my life. They asked if after graduation I would move with them to Connecticut and marry them.”

Smiles were on everyone’s faces and people started to move toward Rebecca in a rush when she held up her hand.

“Stop. I haven’t finished. Her name is Juanita and I love her completely.”

That stopped most of the family cold. Barbara took that moment and walked right up to Rebecca and hugged her. Joe followed his wife and told Becca he couldn’t wait to meet her girlfriend.

Bobby and Jeanette just looked at each other. They knew all about it, and for them it was no surprise. Rick, however, looked like he was going to have a heart attack in the corner. Rick Junior kept looking from his father to his cousin and the sense of fear rolling off him was making Charlie sick.

“Well I hope you will allow me to paint your wedding portrait,” was Maria’s only comment as she smiled at her niece.

Charlie stood there feeling sort of sick. He watched how various members of the family either completely accepted Becca’s surprise announcement, or were furious with it. He couldn’t help but see how scared Rick Junior was. Hell, even he was shaking with fear, and he didn’t even know why. Some days he wondered if the simple life he thought he lead would ever really be simple.

Poor Charlie. Well, I never promised things would be easy for my little guy but he keeps plugging away. Feel free to let me know what you think of this tale. Also never mind if you want to add those happy points to the story. Thank my editor for catching up and getting so much of this done.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 05/25/2011 08:07 AM, Frostina said:
I LOVE Charlie's mom! can i have her? :wub:
Barbara is a treasure. You meet people like her and you hold on tight. Glad you like his mother.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Good heavens, so many emotions in this chapter. It is very well written, though there were a few moments of huh? It took me a few minutes until I remember that Charlie was so young, lol.

Link to comment
On 06/09/2011 03:49 AM, Cia said:
Good heavens, so many emotions in this chapter. It is very well written, though there were a few moments of huh? It took me a few minutes until I remember that Charlie was so young, lol.
The joys of being born so much younger than his siblings. Glad you are enjoying it.
Link to comment

Hmmm lot's to go over there, poor Rick Junior and well done Rebecca for coming out with that :)

reviews aren't my strong point... I'll go read some more instead hehe

Link to comment
On 06/15/2011 11:11 PM, Agaith said:
Hmmm lot's to go over there, poor Rick Junior and well done Rebecca for coming out with that :)

reviews aren't my strong point... I'll go read some more instead hehe

I pack a lot into a short amount of space. Hope you are enjoying this all Stu.
Link to comment

What a rollercoaster. Happy for Becca- scared for Ricky- sad for Charlie.

 

I wonder what is up Ms. Barbara's sleeve? Have I said that I love her? Tell Frosty, she can't have her, I want her! :P

Link to comment
On 08/12/2011 08:04 AM, K.C. said:
What a rollercoaster. Happy for Becca- scared for Ricky- sad for Charlie.

 

I wonder what is up Ms. Barbara's sleeve? Have I said that I love her? Tell Frosty, she can't have her, I want her! :P

Barbara seems to be everyone's favorite. She is loosely based on my own Mom. You never knew exactly what she was going to say but she knew her children better than we knew ourselves.
Link to comment

23rd birthday? I thought Charlie was just 22 and the twins are younger? Aside from that, it was a good chapter. Lots of things happened. I'm gonna guess that she will somehow get Charlie and Scott to meet up and I hope that she can work her mom powers on Rick.

Link to comment
On 08/14/2011 06:53 PM, Ramon said:
23rd birthday? I thought Charlie was just 22 and the twins are younger? Aside from that, it was a good chapter. Lots of things happened. I'm gonna guess that she will somehow get Charlie and Scott to meet up and I hope that she can work her mom powers on Rick.
Barbara is a mover and a shaker. Just hang in there.
Link to comment

I guess with a clan as big as this one, there are bound to be things that shock and awe folks. Patchogue eh? The Wagners could have been neighbors with my grandparents, for a time at least, they died a bit ago, but still. Small world.

Now if Charlie starts dating Rick Jr.'s ex I'm gonna buy tickets for the fireworks :P

Link to comment
On 10/14/2011 01:00 PM, Andrew_Q_Gordon said:
I guess with a clan as big as this one, there are bound to be things that shock and awe folks. Patchogue eh? The Wagners could have been neighbors with my grandparents, for a time at least, they died a bit ago, but still. Small world.

Now if Charlie starts dating Rick Jr.'s ex I'm gonna buy tickets for the fireworks :P

LOL. Well if I am going to write about the real world then I am going to use places I know. Depending on how well you know Patchogue, Reed's shop is just off the four corners, a few doors down from the jewelry store.
Link to comment

LOVE IT! BOMBSHELL! Sort of a shock and awe compaign if there ever was one. One thing I was curious about... I thought they wrapped the book in the previous chapter at the bookstore? Not that it matters... Great flow in this chapter. Eventhing moved at a fabulous pace. Can't wait to read the next one!

Link to comment
On 02/11/2012 12:14 AM, MidnightMan said:
LOVE IT! BOMBSHELL! Sort of a shock and awe compaign if there ever was one. One thing I was curious about... I thought they wrapped the book in the previous chapter at the bookstore? Not that it matters... Great flow in this chapter. Eventhing moved at a fabulous pace. Can't wait to read the next one!
Wrapped as in put in paper not wrapped as in for a birthday gift. There are all sorts of "accidents" in this story. :)
Link to comment

Well, this was quite the mixture of surprises. I hope Rick Jr.'s predicament does not affect Charlie when he decides who he is.

 

Great chapter btw:)

Link to comment
On 11/06/2012 07:04 AM, joann414 said:
Well, this was quite the mixture of surprises. I hope Rick Jr.'s predicament does not affect Charlie when he decides who he is.

 

Great chapter btw:)

Ever know someone who can spot the issues and all with anyone else but has huge blinders when it comes to themselves? Charlie does. But not the kind that are detrimental. Just sort of blind to the truth of some things about himself yet. Time will sort it all out.
Link to comment

Mothers always know best and I bet she knows exactly why Charlie is all shook up and it's not directly due to the announcement.

Link to comment
On 06/07/2013 08:18 AM, Daithi said:
Mothers always know best and I bet she knows exactly why Charlie is all shook up and it's not directly due to the announcement.
Mothers are strange creatures who seem to have an unusual ability to know their children better than they know themselves. Barbara is just one of those rare ones who seems to be just a bit better at it then normal.
Link to comment

Barbara is a great grandmother as well and she does seem to know everything that is going on in her family. Wonder what she is planning about Scott and Charlie? Probably more than a thank you note :P

Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 04:29 AM, Suvitar said:
Barbara is a great grandmother as well and she does seem to know everything that is going on in her family. Wonder what she is planning about Scott and Charlie? Probably more than a thank you note :P
Did you think I would tell you. :lol: Keep reading Suvitar.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..