Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 418 Words
  • 863 Views
  • 4 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Before the Mirror - 1. Before the Mirror

This is one of the first things I've completed in a while. When you look at your past it is often best not to dwell there but to keep moving forward.

I sit before the shattered mirror and see the images it casts.

Distorted and clear all at once before me sit other images of me.

Through the cracks of glass I see a youthful me, an older me, and yet just who I am.

 

Images reflected back of days so long now gone are there

Happy, youthful, plays the mask that hides the pain beneath

A time of promise squandered by one who knew it not, but who gives a damn.

 

A spring of growing pains, scraped knees, kites flown, and bicycles.

Summers of hide and go seek and playing till the street lights came on.

Then there came a winter of hiding the bruises, the lies, and the things that were done to me.

 

Today I sit before the cracked mirror and look into it deeply.

I sit alone in the room of partial darkness made for me

It hides the scars both physical and emotional, for these are things that no one should see.

 

I smile instead into the broken glass and hide what I don’t wish to show -

The broken friendships, the loss of love, the pain of death, and the times alone.

Slip on the mask and put it all away and look instead into the future of it all.

 

The shots of gray reflected back are snowy white in this cracked light.

The figure looks stooped and the finger wavers in dimly light air.

I worry that one wrong move and the figure would move and fall.

 

He sits alone in murky light in faded clothes of yester year.

The looks milky and stare in blindness into a mirror filthy of time.

Here rests the end of all those days, a man alone before a mirror yet.

 

Is this the hellish future still before my poor soul that is left for me to take?

Punishment for sins heaved upon an unsuspecting soul at too young an age?

Is this what the future holds? Is this in stone writ and what time has set?

 

The cracks in the mirror are deep and bold, but when have done as I was told?

If this is peeks to times back and forward, I look not there but only toward

A future of change of still new chance, forget just sitting I want to dance.

 

Life comes but once and not again.

I looked through the cracks and found my time - not my end.

So that is my take on the theme for this Anthology. If you like it feel free to click like. Comments are always welcome.
Copyright © 2012 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I read this before you posted it Unc. So you know what I think already :) You should write more poetry. You are so good at it :):hug:

Link to comment
On 04/30/2012 09:04 AM, Mark92 said:
I read this before you posted it Unc. So you know what I think already :) You should write more poetry. You are so good at it :):hug:
Thanks Mark. Yeah I usually write poetry when I'm either very depressed or very happy. Funny but when things are just okay, I can't write it. :lol: Thanks for reading and commenting though.
Link to comment
On 04/30/2012 07:56 AM, K.C. said:
Very touching, Wayne dark yet still a glimmer of hope.
Just the way I am feeling lately KC. Things get dark but I still hold out hope.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..