Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 321 Words
  • 2,658 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Inspired by - 2. Prompt 11 - Eulogy For Teddy Bear

Seeing how everyone from Mark to Frosty have been doing these I was curious. So I enter my own attempt at one of these prompts.

Today we gather to say good-bye to a dear friend, Teddy Bear. Looking at Teddy today we see his cracked face, spots where the fur has been hugged off, the stitches where repairs were made, and little seam that use to hold his music box. One look at Teddy and you know this bear was loved and taken care of.

When Teddy was new to the world, he was a dark brown bear with bright brown eyes, and big smiling face. His red tongue always looked like he had just taken a lick of a cherry ice. I first met Teddy when he was a resident of my grandmother’s bed. He proudly sat in and watched over her room, being a gift from one of her close friends. However, Teddy soon captured my attention. My grandmother saw how captivated I was with Teddy, wound his music box, and handed him over to me to hold. As simple as that a close friendship was born.

Teddy Bear spent many years at my side. He was my constant companion and confident. He knew all my secrets and desires. Being the sort of bear he was he never told a soul. Over the years his thick brown fur grew thin and was hugged off. He had trips to the hospital to fix up his stitching and when his music box finally died it was gently removed. He had been a soldier, an Indian, a friend, and secret keeper. Teddy watched Saturday morning cartoons, stayed at my side when I was sick, and never failed to have a ready smile for me when I was down.

Few people know the comfort of such a bear. So now I take this opportunity to remember and thank Teddy for his many years of selfless love, listening, and staying with me through all sorts of hardships growing up. You will be fondly remembered.

Well not sure what people will think of this. As usual comments are greatly appreciated. This is really a short piece so I am not sure what people will think.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Awww that made me soooo nostalgic. At least yiu got your final moments with Teddy. I had two, a mesium sized yellow one and a wee brown and beige one. They disappeared one day, kidnapped by the evil sod that was ... well, whoever it was ... it's a child crime that has never been solved, but I thjnk I know who it was!

 

Very touching little story with no shortage of little sticking-out-tongue moments :P Loved it.

 

By the way ... what is an Indian in this context ... it's not a reference I'm familiar with.

Link to comment
On 07/21/2011 07:44 AM, Dannsar said:
Awww that made me soooo nostalgic. At least yiu got your final moments with Teddy. I had two, a mesium sized yellow one and a wee brown and beige one. They disappeared one day, kidnapped by the evil sod that was ... well, whoever it was ... it's a child crime that has never been solved, but I thjnk I know who it was!

 

Very touching little story with no shortage of little sticking-out-tongue moments :P Loved it.

 

By the way ... what is an Indian in this context ... it's not a reference I'm familiar with.

Hi Dannsar. In this instance American Indian because as a kid I played Cowboys and Indians. Teddy made the great Indian Sitting Bear. What can I say? I never was the average child.
Link to comment

Oh... So poetic. It was generally great:) I never had a teddy bear. But I had a doll fish. This did bring back some few good memories:).

Link to comment
On 08/17/2011 03:24 AM, Michael9344 said:
Oh... So poetic. It was generally great:) I never had a teddy bear. But I had a doll fish. This did bring back some few good memories:).
I think most of us had something as a child. My neighbor I can remember dragging around a big purple elephant. I think these were the toys we told our secrets to and for a while were our constant friends.
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I had a teddy... the only difference was mine didn't have a music box and he was white. His insides hid my most secret possessions though as I tunneled a secret hole in his neck when he got a bit more careworn and some threads came loose. Perfect companions, teddy bears!

Link to comment
On 08/17/2011 09:16 AM, Cia said:
I had a teddy... the only difference was mine didn't have a music box and he was white. His insides hid my most secret possessions though as I tunneled a secret hole in his neck when he got a bit more careworn and some threads came loose. Perfect companions, teddy bears!
Oh I so do agree. They have so many uses and are such and important part of childhood.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..