Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,202 Words
  • 813 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Inspired by - 9. Prompt 35 - Bus Accident

What could possibly be more scary for a parent then the loss of their child. You hear the news of an accident and you feel sorry for those involved. Your heart might go out to them, but what if as you listen you realize that this accident might very well involve your child. Then the newscaster announces that their are dead among them. Welcome to Arlene's worst nightmare.

“I swear to God, if his head wasn’t attached I think he would forget that too,” muttered Arlene as she drove toward the high school. TJ had been in a rush and forgotten his project on the kitchen table. She was just about to leave for work when she spotted it. Knowing he would get an ‘F’ if it wasn’t in today, she grabbed it on her way out the door. Sometimes he is just like his father, forgetful. If I am late for work, I'm going to kill him.

Arlene turned on the radio and checked her time. I should have just enough time to drop this off and get to work on time. She was just turning onto the highway when the news program broke in to make an announcement.

“All traffic on 27 is at a standstill after a terrible accident. People are asked to take alternate routes from exit 23 to exit 24. It appears that a school bus was hit and flipped on the way to the Marcus Avenue High School. Police have stated that there are injured and possible dead. More details will be given as we get them here at the station. Once again all traffic on 27 is at a standstill. Police are asking that everyone find alternative routes between exit 23 and exit 24 so emergency vehicles can get through.”

Arlene pulled over to the side of the road. Rapidly she dug through her purse and pulled out her cell phone.

“Come on, come on, and pick up the phone TJ. I know you aren’t supposed to take it to school but you never go anywhere without it,” she cried desperately into the phone. Please, God, let it be another bus, just let TJ be alright.

Beep. Arlene’s phone had an incoming call. Without even a moment’s hesitation she ended the first call and took the second.

“Hello, TJ?”

“No Arlene, have you heard anything?” came the desperate voice on the phone.

“George, I haven’t heard a word. I was just calling TJ. Did you hear about the accident?”

“Yes, but they aren’t saying which bus or who was on it. I called the school but couldn’t get through.” The edge in her husband’s voice wasn’t doing much to reassure Arlene that their son was going to be okay.

“I’m maybe five minutes from the accident site. I’m going George. If I find out something I’ll call,” she said almost absentmindedly as she dropped the phone back into her purse and started the car.

The police were redirecting cars as she got close. She could see the bus up ahead and the ambulances sitting there being loaded. Even as she approached she could see the helicopter sitting on the roadway also being loaded with people.

“I’m sorry but no one is allowed past here,” stated the officer as he tried to redirect her with the rest of the cars off the roadway.

“I think my son is in there,” Arlene said desperately.

“I’m sorry, Ma’am but no one is allowed to get closer. If you think your son is here please head directly to the hospital. It is where all of the injured are headed to.”

Seeing he wouldn’t budge Arlene pulled into the traffic and as soon as she possibly could she turned off on to the side of the road. It took all of a moment to turn off the car and find a way down to where the accident was. Arlene was soon running down the embankment, she slipped and fell but nothing would halt her as she headed toward the bus and news of her son.

“Joe, stop that woman. I don’t need anyone coming over to do a looky-loo for kicks,” stated the Sheriff as he spotted Arlene.

Officer Joe took off at a run to stop Arlene who had paused by the ambulance that was being loaded with yet another accident victim. Not far away she could see that students were laid neatly out but no one was paying them any attention. She feared those were the student’s who hadn’t survived. She refused to think her son was among the dead.

“Has anyone seen TJ? My son was taking the bus to school today! Does anyone know if he is alright?” she called as she raced closer toward the bus. She slowed momentarily as she rounded the end of the ambulance before trying to run onward again.

She had barely taken five steps from the ambulance when Joe grabbed her.

“Let me go. I have to find TJ. I need to know if he is alright,” she cried as she tugged and scratched trying to get free.

“Ma’am we can’t let you get in there. Too many of the students are seriously hurt; you running around here is just going to make it harder to get help to them,” stated Officer Joe as calmly as he could. He realized this was one of the many parents who were desperate to find out what had happened to their children.

Arlene began to cry. Instead of pulling away she broke down in the officer’s arms.

“Excuse me, but did you say you were looking for a TJ?” questioned a small woman in an ambulance worker’s outfit.

Arlene nodded, not trusting herself to speak. She desperately was hanging onto the officer for support.

“Is he a tall guy with brown hair and brown eyes? Is he wearing a blue tee shirt?”

“Yes, that is TJ. The shirt has a smiley face on it,” Arlene said with trepidation. Slowly, she pulled away from the officer and on unsteady feet followed the woman.

“I have your son over at my ambulance, Ma’am,” she said nodding at the officer who followed slowly behind them.

“Is he alright?” The fear in Arlene’s voice was evident to everyone within hearing range.

“He has a broken arm, some small contusions, and cuts from the broken glass. He was one of the lucky ones. One of the survivors told me that your son broke his arm catching one of the smaller students who would have been tossed out the window when the bus flipped.”

As Arlene neared the back of the ambulance she could see rear of the bus and the car that had slammed it. The small car was totaled and the roof of the bus had been pushed in. Hearing how her son had survived she was amazed to think anyone had lived after seeing the condition of the accident site.

Looking inside her heart leaped as she seen her son all wrapped up on a gurney. He sat with an odd smile on his face. Arlene was glad he was alive but was worried till the ambulance drive indicated he had been put on something for his pain.

“Hi, Mom. I think I might miss class today. Oh, and I forgot my assignment at home. Sorry.”

Arlene gently took her son’s hand and laughed. My son is alive.

So did I do as the prompt asked? Did I manage to convey a parent on the search for their missing child after an accident? Comments, good or bad, are greatly appreciated. Happy points are too.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Whoa! i was holding my breath when the guy came up and asked if she was looking for TJ! gave us quite a scare!

It was wonderfully done! the scare, the anxiety, then the happiness. i really like TJ's last words in the piece! ^_^

Link to comment
On 08/15/2011 03:32 PM, Frostina said:
Whoa! i was holding my breath when the guy came up and asked if she was looking for TJ! gave us quite a scare!

It was wonderfully done! the scare, the anxiety, then the happiness. i really like TJ's last words in the piece! ^_^

Isn't it the way though. We see the person who is most scared when something happens to us and prattle off something totally off topic. Glad you liked it Frosty.
Link to comment

Yeah. I know you convened the message because I could all but see Arelene's anxiety.

I loved the suspense where she was asking about TJ. And you know I'm a kicker for suspense:)

Link to comment
On 08/17/2011 04:35 AM, Michael9344 said:
Yeah. I know you convened the message because I could all but see Arelene's anxiety.

I loved the suspense where she was asking about TJ. And you know I'm a kicker for suspense:)

Well just following the directions of the prompt on that one. Glad I build the suspense for you. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..