Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,527 Words
  • 785 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Inspired by - 20. All about Murray

This is another one of the prompts. It asked you to use the first line. I figured I wanted to show how versatile that first line could be. I wrote two different stories using them.

This is another one from the prompts. The first line is going to be the same but I have two totally different stories based off the opening line. Welcome to my two stories that I have named All about Murray.

 

"Murray, do you really need to go out now?"

I lay looking bleary –eyed at the alarm clock. I glowed back at me a hideous 4:20 am. I just wanted to roll over and go back to sleep but Murray walked over nuzzled my arm. Looking into that furry face I knew I had to get up, especially as he kept glancing through the door way.

“Alright, I get it boy.”

Exhausted I crawled out of the bed and he hurried ahead of me, his claws making that click clack noise on the hard wood floors. A tee shirt and boxers were all I had on and the cold fall air swirled around my legs letting me know it was a freezing morning.

I’d barely made the kitchen when Murray began to run around in circles. Murray may have been a big dog but he never pushed unless he had to go. I had to remember to start pulling up his bowl of water at night or this would be a daily occurrence. I loved Murray but not enough to get up at this ungodly hour every day.

As I opened the door he flew out into the back yard to go do his business. Once that cold outside breeze hit me I had to do the same thing. Leaving the inside door open so Murray would be able to see into the kitchen I hurried off to the bathroom. The cold morning air was doing its magic on me as well and all I wanted to do was climb back under the warm blankets.

After a moment to relieve myself, wash my hands, and notice just how damn cold it was this morning I headed back to the kitchen. Murray stood wagging his tail and waiting at the door to get back in.

“Hope you are done boy, because I plan on going back to bed where it is warm!”

Opening the door Murray blew past me and disappeared down the hall way.

“Gee, nothing like showing me how much you appreciate me, Mur,” I mutter as his tail vanishes back inside the bedroom.

Strolling back down I look in to find he has taken my spot in the bed and curled up close to David.

“Sure, him you let sleep, me you wake up and take my spot in bed. Move over you hog,” I mutter as Murray looks up innocently at me. That is the problem with Murray, he maybe a big dog but he is all heart and he knows he has us both wrapped around his paw.

 

 

"Murray, do you really need to go out now?" asked Christine from the couch.

“Yes, we are out of milk, bread, and cheese. Didn’t you check for any of this before you went food shopping today?”

“Well I just bought what I thought we might need. You know a case of beer, some chips for the party, and a few steaks for you to cook us for dinner.”

“So nice of you to think I can cook for the three of us. Wait a minute. What party, Chris?” Murray stopped midway to the kitchen door, his keys in his hand.

“The one Danny and I put together. Didn’t we tell you?”

“No. Just when is this party supposed to happen anyway?” Murray asked as his anxiety level climbed.

“Tomorrow night.” Christine turned away and began to flick through the channels on TV.

“For Christ’s sake! Tomorrow night is my performance. You are both coming, remember? So are my parents, his mother, and your sister.”

“Oh, is that tomorrow? Can’t you, I don’t know, reschedule it or something?”

“No I can’t, you know, reschedule it or something! This is what I have been working on for the last two months. The show that my entire future is riding on, Christine. The whole reason I had to allow Danny to move in with you so I could afford to concentrate on it.” Murray paused and shook in anger.

“No big deal. We can wish you well and then afterwards you can come back with them all to our party. Hey, we can even make the party be about your thing.” Christine said as she settled back into the couch watching the movie she had found.

Murray turned and walked rapidly out the door.

If I say anything to her, I just might kill her.

Murray got into his car and was about to start it when his cell phone rang. Looking at the number he realized it was Danny. He took a deep breath before he answered it.

“Danny, so nice of you to call,” stated Murray in a strained voice.

“Hey man, what's wrong? You sound all funny.”

“I understand that there is a party in my house tomorrow night that I didn’t know about.”

“Oh, sorry we didn’t tell you. Just figured it would be alright.”

“I’m sure it will be. After all I will be at the opening of my show with my parents, your mother, and Christine’s sister.”

“Shit man that is tomorrow night? I totally forgot about it.”

“I never would have guessed,” Murray said sarcastically.

“Sorry man. Look, I’ll cancel the party. It was only going to be three or four guys anyway.”

“Don’t do it on my account. I’ll just let your mother know she doesn’t have to worry about you throwing crazy parties anymore. Oh wait, you can’t be there cause you are having a party.”

“You wouldn’t do that to me would you, Mur? I mean she is the one who gives me the money till I finish school,” Danny begged.

“Look, I don’t need trouble. This was only supposed to be a temporary thing with you moving in with me. I needed help making ends meet while I finished this show and you were going to work hard, give up your partying and focus on finishing school.”

“I know. You did your part and even let Chris move in with me.”

Murray sat silently listening to Danny try to smooth it over. He was beginning to get a headache and he knew it was all because of Danny.

“Look, maybe I can get Mom to kick in a few more bucks to help make it easier for you. Besides, I’m sure your show will go over well.”

“Danny, you are a friend. I am not asking you to give me more money. Hell, you moved into my house and barely pay rent, but the money you do is what allowed me to finish the show. I left money for groceries out and Chris bought beer, chips and steaks with it. I have to go out now for real food and it is coming out of my money. This is not the rent money or money she gave me. Hell, Chris face it, she doesn’t even pay a dime toward the house. While we go to work and school she sits at home. I mean she doesn’t even cook. To be honest, I don’t think she can cook.”

“Aw, Mur don’t be that way. She is my girl, you know.”

Murray felt ancient at the age of twenty five just listening to Danny talk. His mother and Danny’s both told him this was a mistake. Danny wasn’t responsible enough. That is why Danny’s mom had been about to throw him out of her house.

“Look, I don’t want to have his conversation on the phone anyway. Ted is coming over tonight and I want to get dinner ready for us.”

“Cool a double date,” piped in Danny excitedly

“No, Ted and I are having dinner. Tonight, you and Chris can go do something. I want some quality time with my boyfriend,” Murray said seething with anger.

“You don’t have to get angry about it.”

“Look, tomorrow before I leave in the morning you and I are going to have a very long talk.”

There was silence on the phone.

“Um, okay Mur. You aren’t mad, are you?”

“We will talk about it then. Tonight, just make sure you and Chris are absent from the house.”

“You got it,” Danny said quietly as he hung up.

Dial tone followed as he closed his phone and sighed. Murray shook his head as he mentally went down the list of things he needed for both the dinner tonight and for the rest of the week as he pulled out of his driveway and headed off to the grocery store. The only concern he had was making a nice dinner for him and Ted.

So there are my two tales of Murray. Hopefully they are different enough to show what can be done with a first line. If you liked them feel free to click the lick button. If you had a comment or question please leave a note on it. Thank you.
Copyright © 2011 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..