Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 3,229 Words
  • 4,641 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Life of Seeon - 10. Chapter 10 - Truths Revealed

Seeon and Mika spend their first day together as a married couple. Along the way both men learn some truths that will alter how they look at both their new husband and themself.

Mika sat with Seeon going over the various foods. Seeon still refused to take anything until after Mika had filled his plate. There were challenges that were going to have to be overcome yet, Mika noted.

“So, did you enjoy the foods? Which were your favorites?” Mika watched Seeon look over the foods that covered the table.

Seeon thought of the foods he thought Mika enjoyed and tried to point them out. “This was very good.”

Mika watched as Seeon pointed out the vegetable salad that was a staple on everyone’s plate here in Hereon, yet he also noted that Seeon had barely eaten it. Mika decided to play a hunch.

“Okay, I will make sure you have plenty of the Sacra Salad. I personally hate it.”

The color faded from Seeon’s face. He glanced at his feet afraid to speak again.

Mika reached out and gently lifted Seeon’s chin till he could see into his husband’s face. “Seeon, you don’t have to like what I like. You are your own person. Pick the things you like.”

Seeon nodded, still unsure that he could pick things out for himself.

“Would you like to empty your two cases and put your stuff away, or would you rather go for a walk around the city?” Mika smiled and waited for Seeon to choose.

“May we really walk around the city? We could not do that in Toleran. The royal family lived far from the people we ruled.”

Mika laughed. “We rule, but we also answer to our people. It is a complicated governing system but it works for us. Come on. I want to show you the city.”

The two men rose and Mika gathered the leftover food and deposited it in the food recycler. Then he led Seeon out into the hallway. They walked through the castle passing various people who nodded and keep going. Eventually, they passed through the front gates and out into the streets of the capital city.

Seeon walked very close to his husband but looked at the sights around him in awe. There were men and women walking, talking, holding hands. There were children everywhere and laughter. He was unused to seeing so many people just going about their lives.

“This is the People’s Park. It is dedicated to the people of Horeun and people come here to picnic, play games, and relax.” Mika smiled and waved his arms encircling the huge park before them. “A lot of different things go on here. It is one of the more beautiful places in the city.”

Seeon stood and looked at the large trees and flowers that grew everywhere. He was surprised that this wasn’t something small and controlled like the private garden back at his brother’s castle now. He could not help but think of the times he spent eating with his sisters so many years ago.

“The park is beautiful.” Seeon smiled as Mika led the way through the center of the park. They passed small ponds, wide fields, and trails that seemed to curve off from the main path. As they turned the gentle curve that led to the center of the park, Seeon stopped in surprise. Before him stood nearly forty people, old and young, and they were doing the exercises that he had learned when he started his priesthood training.

“What are they doing?” gasped Seeon in surprise.

“Um, what are who doing?” Mika stopped and followed Seeon’s gaze finding the large crowd doing the exercises of the priesthood in the middle of the park. “Do you mean those people?” Mika pointed to the large crowd.

“Yes. They do the private exercises of the priesthood.”

Mika shook his head and gazed at his husband. “Seeon, the Gods visited every part of our world. They taught their lessons to all who would learn. Nearly every country knows of the various Gods, their gifts, and how to use them. It is only in your country that such a tight grip is held on the knowledge. Here everyone is free to learn them.”

Seeon stared in shock. The world was so different from what he had grown up with. He watched people who had not taken the priesthood vows practicing the very lessons he had years ago.

“I’m sorry if this is a shock to you. I forget how different Toleran is from here.” Mika gently hugged Seeon. “Come on. I want to show you the bazaar and hopefully still have time to get you to the space center.”

Seeon walked along slowly. His mind was filled with all the lessons he had learned growing up. He had believed with total conviction that Toleran was blessed by the Gods and only they had been given the lessons by the four Gods. Yet, here on his first day out he watched everyone, from the very young to the very old, doing the exercises of the Gods. How would they know them if only Toleran had been blessed? Seeon was learning that not all the things he had accepted as truth were as he had learned them.

“Seeon, come and see.” Mika stood a few feet ahead waving him on with a huge smile on his face.

Seeon rushed forward and gazed in awe at the sight before him. There were tables and mats everywhere before him. The smell of food, the sound of animals, and the noise of people talking and yelling seemed to assault him where he stood.

“No matter what it is you seek, most likely you will find here it at the Crossworld Bazaar.” Mika laughed as he looked at the vast area before him.

“What is this place?” Seeon stood close to Mika, afraid he would be swept away by the crowds.

“The bazaar? It is a place where people sell everything under the sun, Seeon. Books, clothes, furniture, food, and just about anything else you can name. There are people from all over the world here and they all have something to barter.” Mika paused and took a deep breath. “The food is this way. Come on.”

Seeon was nearly dragged along by Mika who took him into one of the more open areas. There were animals hanging from the edges of tents, strange fruit laid out on tables, and large areas where things were being cooked over open flames. Seeon stayed close to Mika ‘til a familiar aroma caught his attention.

“Mika?” Seeon stopped and inhaled again.

“What is it, Seeon?” Mika bit his bottom lip and looked longingly at one of the tables further down.

“Brooka. I smell Brooka.” Seeon barely looked at Mika, but inhaled once again the aroma of his favorite dish.

“Wait. You can smell the food you wanted earlier?” Mika looked astounded.

Seeon looked at Mika. “Would you mind if we looked for it, my husband?”

Mika nodded his head and smiled. “Come on. Let’s see if we can find this food you like.”

Seeon took a deep breath and slowly moved down the line of stalls. He had gone maybe fifteen feet before he paused and smiled. “Brooka!”

The pretty young woman behind the grill looked up and smiled. “I haven’t heard it called that since my grandmother taught me how to cook it. Most here call it Densa.”

Mika looked at Seeon and shook his head. “Densa? You like Densa?”

“Brooka. It is a meal I only got on my birthday while I was growing up. Do you have the sauce?”

The young woman walked over and flipped the cooking meat, before walking over to a small pot where she stirred a gravy. “Would you like some?”

Seeon turned and looked at Mika. He bit his lip, but as a Ma’ Nee, he realized he couldn’t ask for anything, but he had now asked to look for Brooka. Mika didn’t seem upset, but Seeon wasn’t going to push things any further.

“Can we have two servings, please?” Mika set a large coin on the side for the young woman.

“I’ll get your change.” She looked at the coin and reached under the table to grab something.

“Keep the change. If your Densa is what my husband desires, I just want to make him happy.” Mika watched Seeon blush as he looked from Mika to the Brooka to the young woman cooking it.

The shop girl smiled and swept the coin into her pocket. She grabbed two bowls and chopped up the Densa, ladled the sauce over it and passed it to Mika and Seeon.

“Thank you.” Seeon breathed in the aroma of the steaming food.

“Here,” said Mika with a smile, as he passed Seeon a utensil so he could eat.

Seeon dug in with gusto. It was the first time he didn’t wait for someone else to eat. He savored each bite of the Brooka and loved the taste of it and the sauce. For him, this was something he never expected to enjoy again.

Mika took a small box from his pocket, scanned the meal, and then began to eat. He smiled knowing he had copied the food into the data base, so Seeon would be able to have it again whenever he liked.

The Brooka was quickly eaten by the two men and the young shop girl was again thanked as they left the bowls they had eaten from with her. They wandered around the rest of the food area where Mika had Seeon try a Busson Pie. Bussons were a dark blue berry with a citrus flavor. They only grew in the late fall and were one of his favorite fruits.

“What is something you love, Seeon?” Mika watched his husband carefully.

Seeon smiled and for once just answered immediately. “Books.”

“Oh? Really?” Mika smiled and began to bounce on his feet like a young child on holiday. “Come on. I have to take you to Book Alley before they close.”

Mika took Seeon’s hand and nearly dragged him along as they raced past various shops and through different streets. Seeon barely had time to notice the people or some of the items for sale as he was twisted and pulled from one spot to the next. He nearly crashed right into Mika when he finally came to a stop.

“This is Book Alley, Seeon. Anything you want to know can be found in a book here, or so they say.”

Seeon stared at the various stalls all along the street. There were more books here than in the royal library at home. He wandered slowly to the first stall and noticed an old man with large glasses who blinked like a startled animal.

“May I help you find something, Sir?”

Seeon meekly shook his head no. He stared at the titles on the table and a few on the wall as he wandered to the next stall. Each stall seemed to hold so many treasures. He spotted a few of the books he had brought with him, written in his own language. The bazaar held many wonders.

Seeon had lost track of time and it was only when Mika’s hand touched his arm that he noticed how dark it had gotten. He was clutching a book on the history of the Waza family, and felt ashamed to be holding it while Mika stood so close.

“So you found something at last?” Mika smiled. “Show the clerk. We’ll pay for it and then I have one last treasure to show you tonight.”

“Thank you, Mika.” Seeon wandered over to where the handsome young man stood waiting at the doorway. It was clear he was waiting on Seeon so he could close shop. “I am sorry, Sir. If it isn’t too much trouble, my husband said I could get this book.”

The man sighed and nearly ripped the book out of Seeon’s hand. “Well, at least it is an interesting subject. I take it he is paying.” The young man nodded toward Mika.

Seeon blushed and looked at his feet.

“Is there a problem?” Mika reached out and hugged Seeon.

“No. I suppose anyone can want to learn about the royal family.” The young man sounded very snooty.

“Do you know who I am?” Mika said rather calmly.

“No. I really don’t care either.”

Seeon began to shiver as he realized how angry Mika was getting.

“Come, my husband. I don’t really need a book.” Seeon nearly whispered this as he reached for Mika’s hand.

“It is okay, Seeon. I’m sure we have that book in the royal library anyway.” Mika stared at the book seller who finally realized who his clients were. “I guess we know which shop shouldn’t be visited by anyone in the family for the future.”

The book seller paled. He had heard of the royal marriage of Prince Mikanos to the foreign Seeon, but had never expected them to come to his shop. He had taken their wedding day as a holiday and slept in, barely noticing the news and pictures from the wedding. It was only now that he looked that he noticed the mark of the royal guardsman on Mikanos’ shoulder and the strange look of the man in green. He had the newlyweds here in his shop on the first day of their married lives. Now, by his own actions, the shop would be marked as undesirable per the Royal House of Waza. His shop was doomed.

Seeon noticed how the man paled and shook because of his husband’s comment. He did not wish to cause anyone trouble. As Ma’ Nee he wasn’t even supposed to own anything but castoffs, but the day had been one that allowed him to dress and act so unlike a Ma’ Nee, he had nearly forgotten his place. Yet, Mika treated him as an equal. He didn’t wish to see this young man punished.

“Could you please wrap the book?” Seeon stepped forward and touched Mika’s arm. “I really would like the book. He has caused us no harm. Can we leave him be?”

Mika looked at Seeon. It was the first time he had seen him ask for something. “If that is what you wish, Seeon. I will leave him be.”

The young book seller shook as he rapidly wrapped the book.

“How much is it?” Mika asked as he turned to face the man.

“A … a gift for your wedding,” the man managed to stammer out.

Mika looked at Seeon, sighed, and dropped what he estimated the value of the book at onto the pile of books by the door. “While I would have accepted it, my husband wanted to buy the book. Remember to treat all your customers with respect, or you won’t remain in business very long.” Mika took the book from the man’s trembling fingers and passed it to Seeon.

Seeon hugged the book tightly and smiled. Maybe he would get to know Mika and they would be friends.

Mika and Seeon walked along in silence for a while.

“Are you mad at me?” Seeon asked as they continued to walk.

“What?” Mika stopped and looked at Seeon. “Of course not. I just am not used to anyone treating me poorly. What upset me more was how he treated you!”

“I am Ma’ Nee. I am used to being ignored or forgotten. He did nothing wrong.” Seeon stared at his husband, unable to understand why he seemed upset.

“Seeon, in your country you were Ma’ Nee. Here you are my husband. You are worthy of respect and should be shown that. Never think of yourself as something less.”

Seeon was again shocked by the changes in his life. He wasn’t used to being treated this way. He looked at Mika with growing affection. He had expected to be used and set into the position of second wife, but instead he found his life was much different and all the members of Mika’s family treated him well. Perhaps his life would not be as he once imagined it to be.

“Mika, may we talk?” Seeon looked nervously at his husband.

“Yes. Of course.” Mika found them a bench to sit on near the stream that ran through the center of the city.

“I need you to understand my life. I realize things are very different and this is … hard for me. I am not supposed to ask for things. I am given the castoffs of the first wife. I am there to make her and your life easier. As a Ma’ Nee I am below everyone. “

“Below everyone?” Mika stared at Seeon.

“Yes. Men are the top of society. Then there comes the first wife. Some men will take second and third wives. Only the very rich will take more. Your importance and what happens comes from your title. The most important children are those of the first wife, then the second and so on. A Ma’ Nee is below all of this. She is to take care of the household. She is taught to please her husband, help the first wife, raise the children, to clean the home, and to feed the children. They fall below the servants. We are only allowed to sleep with our husband, but anyone else may use our services. We are taught to serve. Whether that is chores, companionship, or someone to clean up when the children or a wife might be ill.”

Mika stared at Seeon. It took him a while to absorb what Seeon was telling him.

“Seeon, let me see if I have this right. You are given as a gift to your husband by your family. Then, basically, you are a slave for the family you marry into?”

“I am not a slave. I am Ma’ Nee. I am there to serve and protect my family.”

“But, if he didn’t like you on your wedding night you would have been beheaded and your heart cut out, right?”

Seeon blushed and shook his head yes.

Mika reached out and took Seeon into his arms.

Seeon shivered and he wasn’t sure why.

“Seeon, I need you to understand something. Here, you are not Ma’ Nee. Here you are my husband. You do not serve anyone. You are my partner and my equal. I will not see anyone treat you as less than you are. You deserve to be happy, and do what you enjoy, as well. Today is just the first of many days we will spend together. I want you to always be able to speak up. If you don’t like something, say so. You don’t have to like what I like.”

The words were something Seeon never expected to hear. He wrapped his arms around Mika and softly cried into his shoulder while Mika hugged him tightly.

So hope everyone has been enjoying Seeon. Only one last chapter and it is all done. Thank you so much for reading. Comments are always welcome.
Copyright © 2016 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

It shouldn't escape anyone's notice that with this chapter Seeon is now Prince Seeon again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

It's so great you can give us a bit of closure! I so want Seeon to be happy. He deserves that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I caught this story for the first time tonight though I had bookmarked it when I saw the first chapter as looking interesting. glad i finally got to it! It is wonderful. I didn't even stop to comment I was enjoying it so much.

It has been heartbreaking watching Seeon grow up. The most heartbreaking was the fate of his twin sisters.

The Waza family is wonderful and I am so happy for Seeon! I love Mika too as a match for him. I think Seeon will be good for him too. He will round out his quick temper and soften those sharp edges. Yet Mika will clearly love him and treat him well.

It was really touching to see Seeon begin to realize this was a whole new ballgame! he seemed to be willing to accepte that too which is great. His trying to smooth out the bookseller's bad behavior showed a big change in him. And i was glad he opened up to Mika and told him what he'd expected his life to be. I'd have liked to have him explain his upbringing a bit more. I am glad he was not declared Ma Ne earlier and maybe then he'd never have identified himself as a male. Luckily he never really lost that within himself even if the world treated him like a woman. It is interesting that he seems to be fine loving a man. He didn't really have a chance to develop a sexual identity b/c by the time he thought that way maturity wise, he was told he was the wife. That said, I think it is about the person for him. he is falling for Mika b/c of the man he is and how he treats him well. It's working out well.

I feel like there should be more than one chapter left b/c there is so much I still want to know. I want to know about his abilities, as it seems he is stronger than the priest who may not have been as good as he thought he was, but was still strong. I really want to know what Mika's life is life and his future and dreams. It sounds like he wants to go into this space program so what would that mean for them as Seeon would go too! what will seeon's duties be? Will he be able to find his interests or abilities and do something?

Will he have any way to talk to his more open brother who is king now and maybe tell him what his lie is like. Maybe influence that sexist, old-fashioned, and at times barbaric society he was from? Gosh I wanted that priest slapped by Mika. I was so happy Oma saved Seeon from the indignity after the wedding night and just got one over on the priest whose face must have been priceless.

So, overall this story has been very good and the start was tough to read, but I am glad i held on, hoping things would change for the better for him. Look forward to more. maybe you will consider taking it further? :) greedy I know!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/06/2015 10:10 PM, drpaladin said:
It shouldn't escape anyone's notice that with this chapter Seeon is now Prince Seeon again.
Seeon is finally going to be able to grow into whoever he wants to be. Mika is a supportive partner.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/07/2015 03:50 AM, Puppilull said:
It's so great you can give us a bit of closure! I so want Seeon to be happy. He deserves that.
I never planned for Seeon to be miserable. He is a survivor even if he doesn't know it. The family he has become a part of will help him to grow. Wait and see, Puppilull.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/07/2015 12:25 PM, Llina said:
Poor Seeon, it breaks my heart. So glad he has Mika now. :thumbup:
Seeon's life took a drastic change in becoming Ma'Nee and then marrying Mika. His past and his future are vastly different as he is slowly learning. Thanks for reading and commenting Llina.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/08/2015 05:57 PM, Cannd said:
I caught this story for the first time tonight though I had bookmarked it when I saw the first chapter as looking interesting. glad i finally got to it! It is wonderful. I didn't even stop to comment I was enjoying it so much.

It has been heartbreaking watching Seeon grow up. The most heartbreaking was the fate of his twin sisters.

The Waza family is wonderful and I am so happy for Seeon! I love Mika too as a match for him. I think Seeon will be good for him too. He will round out his quick temper and soften those sharp edges. Yet Mika will clearly love him and treat him well.

It was really touching to see Seeon begin to realize this was a whole new ballgame! he seemed to be willing to accepte that too which is great. His trying to smooth out the bookseller's bad behavior showed a big change in him. And i was glad he opened up to Mika and told him what he'd expected his life to be. I'd have liked to have him explain his upbringing a bit more. I am glad he was not declared Ma Ne earlier and maybe then he'd never have identified himself as a male. Luckily he never really lost that within himself even if the world treated him like a woman. It is interesting that he seems to be fine loving a man. He didn't really have a chance to develop a sexual identity b/c by the time he thought that way maturity wise, he was told he was the wife. That said, I think it is about the person for him. he is falling for Mika b/c of the man he is and how he treats him well. It's working out well.

I feel like there should be more than one chapter left b/c there is so much I still want to know. I want to know about his abilities, as it seems he is stronger than the priest who may not have been as good as he thought he was, but was still strong. I really want to know what Mika's life is life and his future and dreams. It sounds like he wants to go into this space program so what would that mean for them as Seeon would go too! what will seeon's duties be? Will he be able to find his interests or abilities and do something?

Will he have any way to talk to his more open brother who is king now and maybe tell him what his lie is like. Maybe influence that sexist, old-fashioned, and at times barbaric society he was from? Gosh I wanted that priest slapped by Mika. I was so happy Oma saved Seeon from the indignity after the wedding night and just got one over on the priest whose face must have been priceless.

So, overall this story has been very good and the start was tough to read, but I am glad i held on, hoping things would change for the better for him. Look forward to more. maybe you will consider taking it further? :) greedy I know!

Thank you Cannd for such a descriptive review. I might yet squeeze more than one more chapter out, but really trying to bring both Seeon and Jonas to conclusions. Originally Seeon was planned as a two to three part series. Unfortunately, events in my life have kept me from writing as I would like to and I am desperately trying to bring closure so that readers like you don't sit and wonder if that is all there is or what the ending could or should have been. I promise to do my best to answer as many of your questions as I can in the final chapter/chapters.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, a good heart is something that cannot be taught; you are either born with it or not and Seeon obviously was born with a good heart.  I hope that he is able to embrace all the changes that are taking place...
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 4/4/2017 at 11:50 PM, centexhairysub said:

Well, a good heart is something that cannot be taught; you are either born with it or not and Seeon obviously was born with a good heart.  I hope that he is able to embrace all the changes that are taking place...
 

Seeon sees the world as an ever changing gift. He is lucky that Mika is his husband and all the family wants is for him to be happy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love books too, more than any other treat in life. It was wonderful to see Seenon and Mika spending time together and beginning to understand each other better,

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/24/2017 at 6:01 PM, Timothy M. said:

I love books too, more than any other treat in life. It was wonderful to see Seenon and Mika spending time together and beginning to understand each other better,

They are just starting out but at least they have each other.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..