Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 1,414 Words
  • 771 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Prompt You Say! - 19. Prompt 136 - Humphrey the Family Caretaker

What happens when your family is watched over by a robot? Is it a loving experience or something else? Meet the Humphrey model, he will take care of your family.

Joanne had just finished reading the old science fiction story for school. Now she sat silently waiting for the clock to strike five before standing and moving as quietly as possible to her bedroom door. Dinner would be served to the family shortly and she was afraid to get there too early or even worse too late. She moved quickly down the hallway and then looked at the wooden staircase and shuttered.

Click, click, click. The sound of her shoes on the wooden steps were hurried, but like the clock hanging on the wall she moved at a steady pace. She knew that if she ran Humphrey would not be happy, and she knew it was best to keep him that way.

As she turned to enter the room she could see her mother sitting stiffly in her chair. Her father was just slipping into his seat, his eyes were glued to the door way and she could see the beads of sweat on his forehead. She curtsied as she entered and glided to her chair. She could see the dark circles under her mother’s eyes the tremble in her hands.

Then Joanne spotted Humphrey standing by the doorway. God, how she hated him and wanted to see him gone.

Humphrey was nearly six foot tall, with a bright smile, dark black eyes, and soft brown hair. If it wasn’t for the slight sparkle to his skin you might simply mistake him for model. Joanne nearly laughed. A model? Well he looked perfect, but then that is what the Humphrey models were supposed to do, look good, help the family, and make them model citizens. Who knew at the time that model was defective or how many of the things had been made imprisoning families all over the world?

She remembered six months ago when her parents saved enough money to go get one of the new Family Caretaker units. Her mother had been set on getting an Alice model, which was supposed to be based off an old television character from some show long before even her mother had been born. Her father wanted one of Andy models. He had heard that the Andy model also was able to help with family finances and were good with both young and older children. Her brother didn’t want one, but she had been the one who thought if they had to have one of them, she wanted the handsome one, the new Humphrey model. All she wanted to do now was kick herself for that mistake.

“Humphrey, we are all here now. Can you please release Theodore for dinner?” My mother’s voice was hardly a whisper as she looked at where the sideboard use to sit.

“Theodore does not deserve dinner. He was late getting up, did not make his bed before school, and the Humphrey model from his school even stated he cried when told that unless he got perfect grades for the day he would have no lunch.”

The box was looked solid and she knew her younger brother was in there. He use to be such a curious six year old. He was a typical boy in that he was always running around, getting into trouble, and teasing his sixteen year old sister. Joanne missed that so much. Seeing him shake and cry constantly, afraid to move or speak had gotten to Joanne.

Humphrey left the room for a moment and Joanne grasped her mother’s hand for a moment and gave it a squeeze. The last time her mother had tried to remove Teddy from the box; Humphrey had lifted her off the floor and slammed her into the wall, nearly breaking her back. She had been told Humphrey now looked after the family and she was to follow his directions.

Her mother quickly released her hand and looked at Joanne giving her a partial smile.

The door swung open and Humphrey strode in with a platter of food. There was a brown fluid that set down before Joanne’s father.

“Your test came back. Your cholesterol is too high. There is too much sugar in your diet as well, Mr. Theodore Jones. You will be restricted in your diet from now on. Eat your soup.”

Humphrey stopped at Joanne’s side and slid a plate of food before her. There was a piece of liver, some asparagus, and spinach as well as a side of beans.

“According to your bio check it is nearly time for you to be menstruating, Miss Joanne. A protein and iron rich diet at this time is good for you.”

Joanne blushed deeply hearing her private concerns aired at the dinner table. She watched as her father bowed his head and began to eat like a man beaten. Joanne would have loved to scream at him, but she remembered all too well when he had tried to get to Humphrey’s battery pack to disconnect him. Humphrey had broken his arm and his leg warning him if he ever tried to do it again, Humphrey would disconnect her father’s head from his body permanently.

Humphrey set a bowl that seemed to swim in a cream sauce. It was the only thing in the room that smelled delicious. Joanne couldn’t help but think of the meals her mother use to cook when they were just a normal family.

“You have lost too much weight Mrs. Mary Jones. I have increased your milk intake as well. You will be the only one getting a dessert.”

Humphrey moved over to the box and waved his hand. The top foot vanished and Teddy’s head appeared. His eyes were red and swollen. His nose was a mess as well. Joanne felt her throat close as she looked at her baby brother.

Humphrey moved over and wiped Teddy’s face and nose.

“You may observe your family eat their dinner Master Theodore. You will not speak to them at all. You are being punished for not behaving properly in public. Tonight I will have you fed the nutrients you need intravenously.”

Humphrey then turned and watched them force the food down. It could have been the most delicious or the worst food ever, they wouldn’t have known the difference for each one it was as if they were eating rocks.

As soon as the plates were finished, Mr. and Mrs. Jones were sent to their “recreation” spaces and Joanne was returned to her room to finish her homework.

Joanne heard the heavy sound as Humphrey climbed the stairs. Crank, Clack, Crank, Clack. She also heard the soft whimpers of her brother as he was carried to his room and dropped inside. Joanne waited as she listened to the sounds of Humphrey making his way back down stairs. Crank, Clack, Crank, Clack.

Joanne slipped her shoes off and crept as quietly as she could down the hall, skipping the board that creaked and going in to see her brother. He sat rocking and holding his legs.

“You’re going to get us,” Teddy began softly pausing only to hiccup, “in trouble, Jo.”

“Shh. Here.” Joanne reached into her dress pocket and slipped out a small napkin and passed to her brother.

Teddy opened it to find a cookie inside. He nearly yelled but bit his lip to keep quiet instead.

“Mary had her birthday today. She has an Alice model. They take care of their families and even protect them from the Humphrey. Eat it quickly.”

Teddy nodded. He nibbled on it enjoying the sweet taste of cinnamon and raisins. Like everyone else in the house, Humphrey made his food and it was used to control and punish him. There had been no desserts, treats, or breaks for any of them since Humphrey’s second day at their home.

That second day is when all the trouble began. It was when they learned about Humphrey instead of him learning about them. There were a few simple rules that they would have to follow perfectly as Humphrey had told them. Children are to be seen and not heard. Children are to succeed always. Parents have had children so they are now to make sure they succeed to take care of any problems a child might run into. There is to be no disobedience by anyone of them, ever or they would all pay. It was a lesson they learned daily. Life with a Family Caretaker was not a life a leisure or fun when you had a Humphrey.

Taken from prompt 136.
You almost laugh as you read the century old book. Who knew that someone would write stories about tattoos coming to life or electric grandmothers who never die? Little did that author know how close he would come to the truth that you live with every day? You shiver as you turn to face the family caretaker, who might live forever but isn’t the sweet kindly personage that was found in the story. What is the Family Caretaker and what are they like?

If you enjoyed feel free to click like. Comments as always are welcome.
Copyright © 2012 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..