Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 2,636 Words
  • 7,247 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Strange Life of Jonas Marks - 17. Chapter 17

Jonas wakes up early and prepares for a busy day at work. Will things go smoothly or is Jonas in for a surprise?

I woke early in the morning and grabbed my running clothes. The rest of the family was still asleep when I slipped out the door and began my run. The sun was barely breaking the horizon and there was a slight breeze in the air. I ran for the pure pleasure of it, pushing myself to get back into the routine. I’d been neglecting my exercise lately and if I didn’t get back to it, I would lose my scholarship in the fall.

I ran for more than five miles. Every muscle ached as I started to go into a cool down phase. I’d definitely been ignoring my exercises, as my legs and chest hurt from running. Usually, it was something I barely noticed, but now I was feeling each mile. When I ran, I found myself thinking only of the next step and what I wanted out of the run. I got to the point that rain or sunshine didn’t affect me. Now that I had come out of the headspace, I began to think about work. Just what would Opie expect to happen tonight? Would he really pick someone out for me? Did I trust him to have better luck than Jenny did?

My head was racing as I headed back into the house. I was surprised to find Mrs. Meyers still at home.

“Hi Jonas. Late day today?” She held a cup of coffee and sat before her computer.

“Yeah. We have some people coming in after closing, basically.” I walked over to the sink and grabbed a mug and filled it with cold water. “I have a late shift tonight.”

“Well, the boys are in their extra credit classes. Jenny was no slouch in school, but the two of them are a challenge to keep occupied. So glad they won this chance. At least I don’t have to worry about taking them all over for soccer practice this summer.”

I laughed, knowing how I ended up walking all over for wrestling practice, or catching a lift from a team member because Dad had too much work to do.

“Jenny still here?” I looked down the hall, but didn’t hear anything.

“You just missed her.” Mrs. Meyers took another sip, before typing furiously on her keyboard.

“Oh. Well then, I guess I don’t have to fight for the shower.” I smiled and headed down to Jenny’s room to grab a few things. The shower felt heavenly, and by the time I finally came out of the bathroom and dressed, Mrs. Meyers had gone.

“Guess I have time for a good breakfast.” I announced to no one as I dug through the fridge. I grabbed two eggs, bread, butter, and some cheese. I popped the bread in to toast as I scrambled the eggs and added cheese to make an omelet. It seemed like no time at all until everything was done and I sat down to eat.

I began to wrack my brain, trying to remember exactly what I had said about anyone I might date. I mostly remembered thinking the whole thing was just a big joke. For the life of me, I couldn’t remember what I said. Then, in horror, I remembered saying I didn’t care if he was human.

“Crap! I could be dating an Ogre!”

Breakfast suddenly felt like a rock in my stomach. It was going to be a long day.

I did laundry, cleaned up the kitchen. and anything else I could find. I was just burning through nervous energy. Around three, I went in and took a second shower and then got dressed for work. I ended up in black slacks, a deep blue shirt, and a blue and black check tie. I sighed and headed out the door to work.

When I got to work I was early and didn’t know what to do. I went looking for my friends and found Dan and Chris were waiting for me in the break room.

“I see we weren’t the only ones who didn’t want to be late,” joked Chris as I walked in.

“Yeah, well, I’m still not sure what I am in for tonight.” I shook my head as the two of them shot each other a look. “What are you guys doing for dinner? I just realized I forgot to pack something to eat.”

“I didn’t bring anything either. What about you, Chris?” Dan stood with his arms crossed leaning against the counter near the sink.

“Me neither. I guess we can order out. Any idea what you guys might want?” Chris walked over and pulled out the drawer that held most of the takeout and delivery places in the area.

“I better check with Opie. I don’t know if he brought anything. We haven’t worked this before.”

“Well, we will be here. Let us know, and find out what time he wants to break for dinner.”

I headed down the hall to Opie’s office. My hands were sweaty; I really was hoping that he was wrong and no one in this group of people coming into my office tonight would be someone he had chosen for me.

I was about to knock when I heard Opie’s deep voice from inside. “Look, I know you wanted a sword with a mind of its own. I’m doing the best I can. The problem with a sword like that is it might not simply agree to be your sword, Mr. Humphries.”

I paused a moment and then knocked.

“Look, Krogers will do the best we can to find you such a sword, but no money was taken because we can’t guarantee such a sword for you.” For a moment there was silence but it was followed by a snarl, a deep breath, and then Opie’s deep voice. “You may complain if you like. I wish you luck finding such a sword elsewhere. Forgive me a moment -- come in!”

I entered the office to find Opie looking rather stressed as he cradled the phone with one hand and carved a figure eight into his desk with a claw from his other hand. He looked up at me and smiled.

“Mr. Humphries, I realize not everything is as you would like it. I do my best to procure the objects asked for, but they are not always available. Yes… No… Have a good evening.” Opie put the phone down and proceeded to drag his right hand down his desk leaving five deep grooves in his desk. “If some of these people don’t learn patience, I am going to end up having to supply my own desks.”

I shook my head and tried not to laugh.

“I’m sorry, Jonas. What did you need?” Opie stood up and smoothed his shirt before striding to the front of his desk.

“The guys and I were discussing dinner tonight. Did you want something when we ordered, and about what time would you like to break for dinner?”

“Oh. I hadn’t thought about dinner.”

“We hadn’t, either.” I laughed. I couldn’t help it. Opie looked genuinely surprised. “Would you like a hero, a salad, or maybe a pizza?”

“Hmm. What are you in the mood for?” Opie’s eyes took on that strange glow. “Never mind. Let’s play it safe and have heroes. Say we shoot for nine tonight for dinner. Tell the guys that - I’ll have …um… turkey. Have someone stop by when it comes and I’ll pay for dinner.”

I wasn’t sure what Opie was talking about. I was going to say pizza, but if he felt heroes were a better choice, it was okay with me. Besides, the hero would probably be less calories and better for me.

“Thanks Opie. I’ll let them know.”

I went back to the break room and found the guys still there. I was about to walk in when I heard them talking.

“I tell you that I’m really going to be able to save some good money if this keeps up. Barry is getting upset that he can’t seem to get the weekend or evening shifts, but he is scared of Openseter, and he doesn’t know Jonas.” Chris shook his head as he continued. “Besides, he has said some nasty stuff about both of them, and I warned my boss to keep him away.”

“Yeah, I know what you mean. Thanks to tonight’s shift, I have the money saved now for the ring. I wish the guys would cut Jonas some slack. He is really a good guy, but because they are afraid of his boss, they are ignoring him too. Truthfully, it’s their loss.”

I felt bad eavesdropping on them. I shook my head, and walked in. “Hey guys. Opie is up for dinner. Says we should break around nine tonight, and he is in the mood for a turkey hero.”

“Sounds good to me. I’ll check, but I think the Deli Slice closes at nine. I’ll put the order in early and have the food dropped off,” Chris said, as he looked for the menu.

“I’ll have a burger and fries. They were so good last time,” Dan piped in.

“I’ll have the brother-in-law.” I figured I would put in my order while I could.

“What the hell is a brother-in-law?” Dan turned and looked at me.

“Roast beef on mozzarella garlic bread with salad on the side.” It was one of the few heroes I knew at the Deli Slice.

“What the hell? I’ll have that too. Skip the burger.” Dan smiled and walked over to Chris, who was writing everything down.

“Alright guys. I have to go to my office. I don’t want any surprises tonight.”

I walked into my office and found it spotless. There was a large vase of blue roses on the corner of the desk and Fire stood smiling in the center of the room.

“Evening, Fire.” I was slowly getting used to seeing her in either form. It was sort of comforting in a way.

“Hi Jonas.” She seemed to bounce on the heels of her feet. “So, I understand we are supposed to have company again today.”

“Yes. I guess Opie told you.” I shrugged.

Fire sauntered across the room to stand right before me. “Nope. You did. I always know when you are in trouble or nervous about something now, Jonas. Relax. I swear, for someone in great shape you are going to end up giving yourself a heart attack.” She reached up and tweaked my nose. “I promise you, I won’t let anyone hurt you.”

I nodded and walked over to my desk. I spotted the picture of my mom and smiled. I knew no matter what else might happen, Fire and Mom would watch over me tonight.

I found a package of new romance requests sitting, waiting to be entered. There were also a few packages. Knowing I had a long night ahead of me, I figured I would start out safe and begin by typing the romance notices.

The varieties and things wanted always left me staggered. Some of them were pretty tame, like six feet tall and stunningly beautiful, but others still left me scratching my head. I mean, there was one there that I swear described a satyr right out of Greek mythology. I just worked my way through the pile, entering the information, one file after another. I’d sort of lost track of time when suddenly the door opened and in came my first guest of the evening.

He was a tall, haughty man dressed all in gold and purple. His hair glistened like spun gold and his skin glowed with a golden tan, but there is where all his good qualities ended.

“I’m here. Why are you not bowing and offering me everything? Are you mentally unbalanced?”

He never gave me a chance to say a word, but before I could, the door opened again. This time, it seemed a young boy entered the room. His skin was smooth and seemed to glow. When he turned, I swore I spotted two clear wings. He was dressed in some sort of skirt.

“Hello. Is Openseter ready for me yet?” He asked pleasantly, and sat on my couch across the room.

“I demand to see him first. I was here first. Why don’t you answer me, boy?” The first guest demanded again.

I reached for the phone when the door opened for a third time.

I paused and watched my new guest enter. He or she was covered from head to toe. They wore a huge floppy hat and a long coat that seemed to start at the neck and go to the floor. I couldn’t really guess who or what they were. They nodded, and moved over to the water fountain. I was about to welcome him when he leaned over and three rather large blue breasts slipped out of the coat. My guest was definitely female. “Damn. I should have belted the coat better,” I heard a deep female voice comment. as she tucked her cleavage away.

I grabbed the phone and Opie immediately answered. “What’s up, Jonas?”

“Your first three guests have arrived.”

“Three? Here already? I’ll be right there.”

“Would any of you like something to drink?” I figured I better play host while I waited for Opie.

The woman lifted her cup of water, the boy on the couch shook his head no, but the guy dressed in purple stalked over to my desk.

“I thought I told you I wanted to see him first. After all, I am…”

“A guest here,” came Opie’s voice as he appeared in my doorway. “I am sorry for the delay. If you would all follow me to my office. I have some things we need to take care.”

The boy stood up, and I swear, he floated over to where Opie stood. The angry guy left my desk and strode out the door, but had to stop ‘cause he had no idea where he was going.

“I’m sorry for the show.” The woman stopped at my desk. “I do try to keep everything wrapped up when necessary.”

I blushed as I looked up at her face. “Um, no problem. I sort of am getting used to seeing naked blue flesh.” My eye caught Fire’s sword and saw the stone shine.

“Just glad it didn’t upset you.” She smiled and pulled her hat back down before following the others out the door.

I watched them all leave and then I turned to find Fire leaning against my desk. “See, that wasn’t so hard.”

“What wasn’t so hard?” I asked, looking at Fire.

“Dealing with the unknown. You’re not afraid and I am here. Trust me, you were never in danger.”

“I didn’t think I was, although that one guy….” I sighed and shook my head.

“Yeah, well, sometimes royalty forgets they aren’t royal everywhere.” Fire smiled and stood up. “I’ll let you get back to work. We’ll talk later.”

I picked up one of the packages on my desk. I opened it to find a large cup and a sheet with instructions.

Fill the cup with fresh water. Add a hair from your head. The cup will show you something important about the person you will share your life with. When done, empty and clean the cup.

“Figures.” I stood and walked over to the water container and filled the cup with fresh water. I plucked a hair out of my head and dropped it into the cup. Suddenly, the water turned the deepest shade of blue. “Now, what the hell is that supposed to mean?”

I took the cup to the break room and washed it out. All I knew was, the more I learned about this night, the less I liked it.

Well we are only half way through the work day. Are you enjoying things so far? Comments are always welcome. If you are enjoying feel free to click like. Thank you for reading.
Copyright © 2015 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 65
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
  • Fingers Crossed 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Exciting end with the cup thing, the future looks blue :funny: Good thing that Fire is on his side, protecting him. Another great chapter, Wayne :thumbup:

PS: Never Heard of food called "heroes" must google it :unsure2: lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

For sly, a hero is a sandwich.

Thanks for another great chapter. Now we need to wait to find out what the deep blue means. I think I'm more curious than Jonas. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love this story so much. I love how imaginative it is. :wizard: Always fun to see what you'll come up with. I feel badly for the woman with three boobs though. Man that must be murder on her back! lol :P

:joe: that royal guy must be a hoot to deal with. why aren't you offering me everything? are you mental? lol I can't wait for the rest of the day.

Hope for an update soon!!! :worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks for my Jonas fix! But I'm getting way curious about the "person" Opie has in mind for Jonas....

More, please!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/17/2015 07:13 PM, Slytherin said:
Exciting end with the cup thing, the future looks blue :funny: Good thing that Fire is on his side, protecting him. Another great chapter, Wayne :thumbup:

PS: Never Heard of food called "heroes" must google it :unsure2: lol

Yeah, there is a lot of stuff for the next chapter. A hero, grinder, or sub is simply a sandwich on long roll Sly. Sorry I didn't make it clear. Sometimes it is just the slang is so normal for me I forget that it isn't the same all around the world.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/17/2015 07:53 PM, drpaladin said:
For sly, a hero is a sandwich.

Thanks for another great chapter. Now we need to wait to find out what the deep blue means. I think I'm more curious than Jonas. :)

If you look back through the story, blue has been a constant that has appeared throughout Jonas. The reason why is soon to be shown.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/17/2015 11:06 PM, Cannd said:
I love this story so much. I love how imaginative it is. :wizard: Always fun to see what you'll come up with. I feel badly for the woman with three boobs though. Man that must be murder on her back! lol :P

:joe: that royal guy must be a hoot to deal with. why aren't you offering me everything? are you mental? lol I can't wait for the rest of the day.

Hope for an update soon!!! :worship:

I am glad you are enjoying Jonas. You just never know who you are going to get coming in through the door. The question is, who would be looking for a romance with the royal guy? :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/18/2015 12:25 AM, Daddydavek said:
Thanks for my Jonas fix! But I'm getting way curious about the "person" Opie has in mind for Jonas....

More, please!

The chapter was getting too large. I cut it and now am adding and changing some stuff. Won't be long til the next one Daddy. Thanks for reading. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/18/2015 04:40 AM, Chezakeeba said:
Oh this is going to be sooo much fun! I can't wait to see who Opie picked!
That seems to be everyone's assumption.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

That brother-in-law sandwich sounded amazing! Now I'm hungry. lol I'll have to re-read the story and look for the blue references. I would have thought the cup would show red, since I l thought that Opie might choose himself for Jonas. Great chapter, Wayne. I can't wait for more!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Lol.. unlike everyone else I read the short version so I'm not curious about Opie's pick. I am however wondering about Jonah's dad. Are you ever going to tell us what Opie plans to do about that?

 

Anyway thanks for writing another great chapter. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/18/2015 11:07 AM, Valkyrie said:
That brother-in-law sandwich sounded amazing! Now I'm hungry. lol I'll have to re-read the story and look for the blue references. I would have thought the cup would show red, since I l thought that Opie might choose himself for Jonas. Great chapter, Wayne. I can't wait for more!
The brother-in-law is a common sandwich around here Valkyrie. Nearly every deli has a version of it. Just one of my favorites. Red? Nope, not in the cards. Having fun with this but really is a huge expansion of the original.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/18/2015 12:53 PM, lmoline said:
Lol.. unlike everyone else I read the short version so I'm not curious about Opie's pick. I am however wondering about Jonah's dad. Are you ever going to tell us what Opie plans to do about that?

 

Anyway thanks for writing another great chapter. :)

Don't plan to leave much untold. Karma makes a visit to all who need it. That is why there are still a few chapters left. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I just read the whole story and must say I really like it! The mix between reality and fantasy is funny but somehow not over the top. It's a bit sad Jonas' life took such a turn that even this truly strange new world hardly makes him lift an eyebrow. Anything is better. I would be freaking out, even if Opie seems very nice.

 

Just a little theme song for Jonas...

 

Eiffel 65 I'm Blue Da Ba Dee Video (original vid):

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/19/2015 07:25 AM, Puppilull said:
I just read the whole story and must say I really like it! The mix between reality and fantasy is funny but somehow not over the top. It's a bit sad Jonas' life took such a turn that even this truly strange new world hardly makes him lift an eyebrow. Anything is better. I would be freaking out, even if Opie seems very nice.

 

Just a little theme song for Jonas...

 

Eiffel 65 I'm Blue Da Ba Dee Video (original vid):

Jonas just has been doing his best to hang in there. He hasn't had it easy, but he keeps trying and he has people like Jenny and her family there to help him. Glad you are enjoying it.

 

Wayne

  • Like 1
Link to comment

hmmm...

I can't help but feel that Opie meant a different type of Hero than Jonas did...

Interesting couple of chapters... felt short though, this last one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/27/2015 05:32 PM, Celethiel said:
hmmm...

I can't help but feel that Opie meant a different type of Hero than Jonas did...

Interesting couple of chapters... felt short though, this last one.

Longer chapter next time I promise.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

So I wonder who ordered the cup? Maybe a fortune teller, since it probably only works once per person. A boy with wings, hmm sounds interesting. You really have to write about some of the nicer (male) visitors, please. And this is only the beginning :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/10/2015 07:01 PM, Timothy M. said:

So I wonder who ordered the cup? Maybe a fortune teller, since it probably only works once per person. A boy with wings, hmm sounds interesting. You really have to write about some of the nicer (male) visitors, please. And this is only the beginning :D

Jonas doesn't really get to see who ordered the products or the dates. He is mainly the organizer and checks to make sure everything is as it is supposed to be. you get the as much as Jonas feels like describing. He might be gay but those doing the ordering of a date aren't always. All you know is that his orders are for the very rich.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Fae Briona said:

Blue seems to be a recurring theme.

Blue is important for many reasons in the story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..