Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 3,516 Words
  • 4,918 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Falling Apart - 31. Chapter 31

Chapter 31

 

"You need to go," I shoved lightly at Ash's chest as he continued to nuzzle at my neck. We hadn't made it very far in dressing. I know we had to be well past the hour timeframe Amelia had given us.

Ash had decided to 'help' me clean up. I had balked at him following me into the washroom at first. Even after what we had just done in the bed, I still felt awkward about my naked body in front of such an exquisite man. He was perfect and my bony, flawed frame was not. I'd hated being naked in front of Barrett too—not because I felt ashamed about my own body. But because of what he'd do when I was.

Apparently, Ash could tell what I was thinking. He was becoming annoyingly skilled at picking up on my insecurities, and he spent quite a long time 'helping' me clean up. I have to admit that by the time he was done practically worshipping my body with the wash cloth, I was feeling decidedly less shy under his heated gaze.

When we finally surfaced from our morning explorations in the wash room, we found a tray of food waiting on the table by the door. Ash walked over to the chest at the end of the bed where my clothing from Tareth had been stored and picked out something, before heading over to the large wardrobe pulling out several pieces for himself.

While we dressed and ate, he rambled on about visiting a tailor in town about clothes that I would need, especially with winter approaching. I, however, had begun worrying over meeting with the Lord Chancellor, so I hadn't paid much attention to what he'd been saying until he leaned over and kissed my forehead.

"There's nothing to worry about," Ash had whispered, startling me out of my thoughts.

"How did you—?"

He just chuckled and started kissing down my jaw. I think he meant to distract me, and it worked. But I was certain someone was going to come soon, demanding to know why we were not in the formal drawing room yet.

After we finally emerged from our room—our room, that sounded so odd for me to think about—Ash led the way toward the drawing room. We caught sight of a very weary looking Donnelly making his way towards the kitchens.

"Donnelly," Ash greeted. "So good to see you back. I trust your travels were uneventful?"

The bearded man turned with a wide smile. "Ah, yes, my lord. Uneventful, but tiring. I fear I may fall asleep on my feet shortly."

Ash laughed and I smiled at the man's humor.

"Ah, well, then, I won't hold you. Rest well, my friend."

"Thank you, sir." Donnelly nodded, then his eyes rested on me. "You are looking much better, little one. I'm glad to see proper food and rest has done you well."

I wrinkled my nose at the 'little one' comment, and Ash just laughed.

"Thank you, sir. I feel much better." I smiled back at him. He nodded his head at both of us, offering a slight bow to Ash before heading off in search of food.

As we made our way to the parlor, I heard laughter echoing from the room. Ash was already at the door when I froze behind him, realizing the Lord Chancellor had already arrived.

"Ahh, here is my brother." Rowland was already rising, as was every other man in the room. Only Lady Delyle remained seated, primly perched on the edge of the settee she was apparently sharing with the count. Liam was the only other man I recognized of the liveried men now staring in our direction. Over Ash's shoulder, I noticed one of the men had a distinctive crimson sash over his black and gold attire.

"Lord Chancellor," Ash greeted with a respectful bow, "It is good to see you again."

The sashed man was even bigger than Ash, a permanent scowl seemed to be etched on his face even as he reached out his hand to Ash in greeting. "And you too, Lord Ashton." They clasped each other's wrist in greeting. "Unfortunately, I wish it was under better circumstances. But perhaps we may soon see an end to the troubles plaguing us."

"Let us hope so, Chancellor." I watched Ash nod his agreement.

"Please, let us dispense with the formalities. We have much to discuss, and we have little time for such ceremony. Please, just call me Federic. And these are fellow magistrates, Lord Alric and Lord Solomon."

The Chancellor waved at his companions, who both greeted Ash with a friendly wrist clasp. I was still staring at the imposing looking man in awe when I felt myself being propelled forward.

"And this is Kye," Ash was saying as I found myself being introduced to the Lord Chancellor and his companions. "My consort."

I whipped my head around. What?

Ash only nodded with a small smirk, but I could hear amused chuckles from around the room.

"Ah, yes, the young man who has been so instrumental in all of this," Lord Federic was saying, but I could barely concentrate.

Consort? My heart pounded. Had Ash just claimed me in front of the Regent's magistrate as more than just his lover? As his companion? His... equal?

"It is very nice to make your acquaintance," Federic continued, and I realized he was reaching his hand out to me. I jerkily managed to return the greeting.

"And you as well, my lord." I felt his gaze assessing me, along with Lord Solomon and Lord Alric. I pulled together all of my training to face these men. I would not let myself be responsible for Ash losing face in this meeting.

"Shall we have some refreshment before we adjourn to the study?" Lord Rowland's voice drew their attention, and I silently thanked the count for his distraction.

"Yes, please. It has been a long ride as we took little rest in an effort to get here quickly," Federic agreed.

I felt Ash's hand on the small of my back and released the tense breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. He turned to the doorway, signaling.

"William, please have Patricia send in tea for our guests." I heard a mumbled response before footsteps retreated. Ash then guided me to sit across the room.

"How is our young prince faring these days?" Ash asked politely.

"Ahh, the princeling is still a handful. Even at fifteen, it is clear he will be as strong a king as his father was. Harrison is eager to learn from his uncle, who is most fond of his young nephew," the Chancellor said, with a smile.

I hadn't heard much about the child prince, other than Barrett complaining about a babe sitting in heir to the throne. The boy's uncle had been our Regent for as long as I could remember. And quite honestly, I had had little interest, until recently, in the plight of any nobles beyond the one whipping my back.

"I'm sure he is learning well from his uncle. The Regent has ruled in his stead with justice and grace. It is a pity that greedy men like Earl Huxton and Marquis Barrett are threatening the sovereignty of the Regent's rule, attempting to overthrow him before Harrison comes of age."

"As I was telling your brother," Federic continued after Ash led me to a seat between him and Liam, "Our esteemed Regent has already sent a contingent out to the northern border."

Ash's brows rose. "He has?"

"Yes, we've already had suspicions about Lord Huxton. We all agreed it would be prudent to have loyal forces in place, should evidence of his treachery come to light, as we all expect it will."

Ash and Rowland grinned. "Oh, it definitely has, my lord. We have quite a collection of letters and papers for you to see. As well as a few people you may want to talk to," Ash stated.

"That is very good to hear," Lord Solomon added.

"I'm sure you will find the papers I brought to Lord Sterling's attention most intriguing," Baroness DeLyle interjected, her hand resting on Rowland's sleeve.

The magistrates nodded, politely acknowledging her. "I'm quite sure we will," Lord Alric agreed.

I slowly relaxed as all the voices eventually blurred into murmurings about the weather and happenings within the court. Occasionally, I would hear the tittering of Lady DeLyle as she attempted to join in the conversation of the men as I sat as still as possible so as not to draw any of their attention.

My eyes flitted from one person to another, and I found that I rather liked the Chancellor and his companions, even if I found them a bit intimidating. They did carry the power of the Regent after all, but they didn't seem to wield it imperiously. They understood their duties, and I sensed they would perform their job judiciously.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Liam's fist clenching on the arm of his chair next to me. My eyes flashed around the room, wondering what had alarmed him. I held back a smile at Lady DeLyle's hand on Rowland's thigh.

"Oh, my dear Lord," she cooed as she rose, her hand sliding on the count's leg, "let me serve the tea, please."

"As you wish, Isobel." Rowland nodded, dismissing Patricia who had delivered a tray of tea and pastries.

I could practically feel Liam seething at the Baroness's fawning over the count. Now that I was watching, I could see her taking every opportunity she could to touch Rowland in some way. No wonder Liam was clenching the arm of his chair.

After refreshments were consumed, the Lord Chancellor rose, and the rest of the room followed. "Thank you for the tea, Rowland, but I am anxious to see this evidence of the treachery to the Crown." He nodded politely at the Baroness. "I believe we have you to thank for some of it, Lady DeLyle, as well as you Viscount Consort Kye."

I blinked, my mouth dropping open as I realized he was talking to me. Fortunately, Lady DeLyle was blushing and curtsying as she gushed her gratitude. Ash's hand slid up to my neck, a light squeeze grounding me enough to nod my thanks as well.

There was a slightly amused smirk on Chancellor Federic's face as he nodded back at me, his light brown eyes landing on Ash just over my shoulder before turning back to Rowland.

"Gentlemen, if you'll follow me to the study." Rowland gestured toward the doorway. Liam was nudging past the Baroness, putting himself between her and Rowland. It was obvious she was not expected to join the men.

"We are going to be a while," Ash's whisper next to my ear startled me. "There is no need for you to join us, unless you wish to."

I watched the others leave the room before glancing back at him. "I think I'd prefer to go outside for a while. Maybe visit with Tareth."

Ash grinned. "I wish I could join you, but the Lord Chancellor will want to read over everything as well as talk to Gerard, Charlie, and Lady DeLyle. Be prepared, they may wish to talk to you as well."

"Me? Why?"

Ash shook his head at me, a wry smile on his face. "You know a lot about Barrett, and they'll want your account."

I almost protested, but he put his finger to my lips to stop me. "Don't deny it. If they wish to talk to you, just answer their questions as best as you can."

I nodded against his finger still pressed against my lips.

He leaned down and kissed me quickly. "Now, go out and enjoy the sun, Viscount Consort."

I opened my mouth to protest at the title, but Ash cut me off. "Would you prefer 'little one' instead?"

I pressed my lips tightly together. Damn him.

 

****

 

I had been anxious all day. I had visited with Tareth for a while until I realized my nervousness was making the horses restless as well. So I'd turned back toward the gardens, hoping that yanking weeds from the earth would distract me from wondering if I was going to be interrogated by the Regent's magistrates.

Of course, I got caught kneeling in the dirt when Sam came, leading Lord Alric behind him. "Here he is, my lord."

I scrambled to my feet, hastily wiping my hands on my pants.

"Kye, Lord Alric wishes to speak with you," Samuel introduced the man, even though I had already met him.

"Yes, sir." I nodded, my heart already racing.

Lord Alric tilted his head with a soft smile. "My dear young man. There is nothing for you to be worried about. I am already well aware of your situation, and I am deeply sorry for all you have been through."

"Th-Thank you, sir," I stuttered.

"I have learned quite a bit about Lord Barrett from Sam here, and he has boasted about your strength and courage..."

I gaped at Samuel. He had? Samuel ducked his head, flushing brightly.

"So come sit with me for a bit," Lord Alric said, gesturing for me to follow.

What I had thought would be more of an interrogation, intimidating and tense, was actually more of a pleasant chat. Lord Alric was relaxed as he asked me about my time with Lord Barrett. Fortunately, he didn't ask me to go into too many details about me as his amorato. He seemed to already be aware of that, and I suspected Ash had detailed that aspect of my relationship with the marquis. He focused on the count's poisoning, things I had heard about shipments being stolen, any talks involving Lord Huxton. He wrote notes constantly, seeming surprised each time I added another detail.

It was late when we finally finished. I was tired and hungry as we both made our way to the dining room.

"Ahh, Alric, there you are," Federic greeted.

"We were just about to send someone after you," Rowland said with a chuckle.

My eyes went immediately to Ash, who smiled at my entrance. I nearly dove across the room in my rush to get to his side, but reined in my elation as I sat down calmly next to him. I drew on my discipline and training to maintain the air of decorum being in the presence of the Lord Chancellor and his men required. I didn't want to bring any embarrassment to the Sterling estate.

"...suspect it will be another day or so before we can finish going through everything..." Federic was saying as dinner was served. "But I thank you for the use of a few of your men to send our preliminary report to the Regent. Orders will be issued immediately for Lord Huxton's arrest."

"I think we each need to talk with all involved, to assure the accountings consistent. The more thorough we are, the easier it will be to bring them to trial," Solomon added.

"Right so," Alric and Federic agreed.

My fists tightened in my lap. That meant I'd have to go through everything again. Twice more.

Ash's hand on my leg startled me, and I glanced over at him. He wasn't looking at me, but his hand slid up my thigh, his fingers brushing close to my groin. A breath rushed out as my mind emptied of everything by his touch.

"...What do you expect the Regent will do with Huxton?"

I squirmed slightly in my chair as Ash continued massaging my thigh.

"He'll be brought to trial, but I doubt he'd be executed. He hasn't launched an attack yet, so no blood has been shed. I suspect his title and lands will be stripped and probably banishment, maybe imprisonment..." Lord Federic stated.

"What about Barrett?" Rowland asked.

"Probably similar, although he does has your attempted murder to answer for..."

After I nearly groaned aloud, I grabbed Ash's hand, lifting it from my lap. He turned to me with an amused grin. I had barely heard most of the dinner conversation. Ash had managed to distract me from the discussion about my former master as well as my worries about having to talk with the Lord Chancellor.

"Well, I certainly hope he is found soon," the Baroness interjected. "Why I certainly wouldn't feel safe knowing he's still around, possibly with a vendetta against me."

"My dear Lady Isobel, I would never want for you to fear for your safety. You are certainly welcome to stay here as long as you need," Rowland offered.

When Liam nearly choked on the swallow of wine he'd just taken, I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. I had Ash's hand in a firm grip, keeping it from roving, while he sipped calmly from his own glass of wine.

"That does raise at least one question," Ash started as if he hadn't just been tormenting me with his questing hand.

"Which is?" Rowland prompted.

"The cargo scheduled to arrive on Friday. By then, it's probable the world would have heard of Huxton's arrest for treason, and Barrett will know he's lost. If that's the case, he's likely to do one of two things: run and hide forever, or lash out."

Rowland and Liam exchanged a solemn look.

"If he's smart, he'll take what he has and head over the border," Liam stated.

"But then we are talking about Lord Barrett," Rowland added. "He's a greedy bastard. Would he settle for what little he has left?"

"What do you think he'd do, Lord Kye?"

I jerked at Federic's voice addressing me. Lord Kye? What the hell was going on with this man—addressing me as Viscount Consort and Lord? And why wasn't anyone correcting him?

"Me?" I squeaked out before I could stop it.

All eyes had now turned to me, and fuck if I didn't just want to slip under the table.

"You are the expert on Lord Barrett at this table," Alric asserted. "You would know best what he's likely to do."

I glanced around at the expectant faces, realizing they really did want my opinion. "Oh, well, sir," I cleared my throat, "I think he'll want revenge."

"He'll go after the ship," Ash stated definitively. "It's his last chance to strike at us. Coming here is not an option for him with all of our defenses and his spies caught."

Rowland nodded, humming his agreement. "That's what I would suspect as well."

"It seems the next few days will also be spent preparing how best to safeguard your ship's arrival in port," Federic mused. "Well, gentlemen, my lady, I believe it may be time to bid you all good night as we have many tasks to face on the morrow."

Rowland rose, nodding around the table. "Well said, Lord Chancellor. Let us all bid each other good night, and face these new problems in the morn."

The scraping of chairs and polite 'good night's were murmured before everyone slowly made their way out of the dining room. Ash wrapped his arm lightly behind my back, keeping me from dropping behind him as I was wont to do without thinking about it. In front of us, Lady Isobel latched onto Rowland's arm, and I felt Ash's body shaking slightly with his silent laugh. Rowland, for his part, didn't even seem to notice her as he continued talking with Alric and Solomon.

Ash leaned over as we followed them out. "She has no idea that she has no chance of ever sharing his bed."

I glanced over at the steward, irritation and hurt plain on his face as he stared at the Lady clutching Rowland's arm. "Does Liam know that?"

Ash seemed startled by my question, and he noticed Liam's discomfort. "He should, but it seems my brother may need to do some reminding tonight."

We followed them up the stairs, first escorting the magistrates to their rooms, before Rowland stopped in front of Lady Isobel's room. He politely wished her a good night, chastely kissing the back of her hand. After her door closed, Liam strode quickly down the hall, waiting for Rowland to catch up.

I barely heard Rowland's deep chuckle before their door was slammed closed behind them after Liam practically shoved Rowland into the room.

I was laughing at Liam's need to re-stake his claim over his lover when I felt myself lifted and swung into our room. Ash kicked the door shut behind him, pinning me to the wall.

I gasped as the breath whooshed out of me, my lips instantly ravaged. I felt Ash's need to possess me, his desire pouring out of his soul and wrapping around me forcefully.

"Kye, teh amari, my sweet stubborn love..." Ash was rambling as he kissed his way down my neck. "I need to be with you..."

I wrapped my hands through this silky chestnut waves. "Always."

Copyright © 2016 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Warm fuzziness! :-)

 

I am such a pessimist, I am having trouble accepting that Isobel is not a snake in the grass. Now what is big B going to do for his big final plot?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Viscount Consort. Lord Kye. Poor, unassuming Kye. How far he and we have come.

 

I am a little surprised no mention was mde of the likelihood of Huxton and Barrett being involved in the death of the Sterling's father as was inferred earlier by Charlie. I would think that would carry a heavier punishment than those mentioned.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/30/2016 09:48 PM, Zenith said:

I love this story! Kye is such a heartwarming character.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Z

Thank you. I hope you are enjoying his slow growth at becoming his own man. :)

Link to comment
On 08/30/2016 09:25 AM, drpaladin said:

Viscount Consort. Lord Kye. Poor, unassuming Kye. How far he and we have come.

 

I am a little surprised no mention was mde of the likelihood of Huxton and Barrett being involved in the death of the Sterling's father as was inferred earlier by Charlie. I would think that would carry a heavier punishment than those mentioned.

Ahh, yes, that is actually mentioned in the next chapter!

Link to comment
On 08/30/2016 09:24 AM, Lux Apollo said:

Warm fuzziness! :-)

 

I am such a pessimist, I am having trouble accepting that Isobel is not a snake in the grass. Now what is big B going to do for his big final plot?

Hehe, Isobel is a bit of an unknown still. One more chapter before they head to the port to deal with the shipment :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..