Jump to content
    craftingmom
  • Author
  • 2,582 Words
  • 3,670 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lie of the Serpent - 3. Chapter 3

Chapter 3

 

"Are you sure it's a good idea for me to go with you?" Wyatt asked as he climbed into Bryan's grey sedan. Bryan could see Wyatt was nervous, his hands smoothing over his tan slacks.

"Of course." Bryan frowned at him like he was crazy. "Why wouldn't I want you to go with me when we tell my mother?"

"Just not so sure she likes me," Wyatt mumbled as he stared out the window.

"That's stupid. Of course, she likes you," Bryan insisted, even though he knew his mother still held out hopes that his being with men was just a phase. "I know you've only met a couple of times, but I know she'll love you as much as I do."

Wyatt offered him a small smile, apparently willing to let the conversation drop. While his mother was over-protective, she had always only wanted what was best for him. And Bryan knew, without a doubt, that Wyatt was it.

It was about a half hour later when they pulled into the Turner Plantation. Bryan watched Wyatt take in the expanse of the grounds with the same wide eyes he did the previous times he'd visited.

"I forget how beautiful it is," Wyatt whispered.

Bryan glanced around at the manicured lawn and flowering shrubs. His mother was the owner of a former Civil War plantation home, one that was rather close to the city, making it a popular tourist site. It was the standard vision of a southern plantation—a huge white-washed two story mansion with enormous pillars across the front porch. Bryan had grown up with his home being open to tourists at certain times of the year. It was something his father had started before he was even born. The main part of the house—the original kitchen, foyer, drawing room, master bedroom--was usually off-limits to him and Eddie as it was maintained for show. The back part of the house had been updated with more modern appliances, large bathrooms, and contemporary furniture.

At one point, his father had even started renovating the basement area where house slaves had slept in the past to add even more livable space. However, after framing in a few rooms and installing the beginnings of bathroom fixtures, they had discovered just how damp and musty the area was, and the plan was abated. It had been a cool place to play with Eddie until his parents had locked the door to keep them out. The door had been in the back of the pantry, and they had a habit of knocking things down as they went through.

There was a small paved lot in the front of the mansion for tourist parking, but Bryan bypassed the three cars parked there and took the road marked "Private Drive" around to the back of the house. He pulled in next to a small car he knew belonged to his mother's assistant.

They both climbed out of the car, and Bryan watched as Wyatt took a deep admiring breath as he looked out over the gardens. A breeze whipped through, and Wyatt instinctively tugged his hat down further to keep it from blowing away, the bottom of his coat fluttered around his knees.

It was cooler today than it had been yesterday in the park. Typical spring weather, warm and sunny one day, cool and windy the next. Bryan glanced up at the sky, sure it was going change again and suddenly rain on them. But the skies were clear and bright.

Bryan stepped up to the back door and hit the buzzer. A minute later, a tall thin man opened the door with a small smile. The man was dressed in black slacks and a white shirt, wearing a name tag with the plantation logo on it.

"Hello, Mr. Foxgrove. It's so nice to see you again. It's been a while."

Bryan chuckled as they stepped into the small entryway. "Yeah, last week when I had lunch with mom."

The man shrugged. "I didn't get to see you much then. There was a school group coming through that day."

"Oh, yeah, that's right." Bryan turned to Wyatt who was shifting nervously next to him. "Simon, this is Wyatt Kinnon. I don't know if you remember him. I brought him by a few months ago."

The man smiled gently, even if he seemed a little formal. "Yes, of course." Simon offered his hand to Wyatt.

Wyatt relaxed slightly as he shook the older man's hand. Bryan continued the introductions. "This is Simon Lefebvre. He's mom's managing assistant."

"Nice to see you again," Wyatt said warmly.

"And you as well," Simon greeted, inclining his head slightly.

"Is my mother available? I called her last night to let her know I wanted to come by." Bryan took Wyatt's hand, clutching it tightly. "We have something to tell her."

Bryan watched the amused lift of Simon's brow at their clasped hands. "I see. I believe she is in her office. Would you like me to get her for you?"

"No, no, Simon, I know the way. I'm sure you are busy with other things."

The grey head nodded politely. "I was doing inventory of the gift shop."

"Then why don't you get back to that? Thank you. See you later."

"Of course." Simon turned to head down the short hallway back out to the public area of the house.

"Gift shop? Wow, this place must be thriving," Wyatt mused.

"It's not really a gift shop, just a little corner with some cards, photos, and some cutesy handmade things from some locals. Really the big money maker is events."

"Events?"

Bryan started down a small hallway. A modern kitchen branched off to the right with a small dining area. "Yeah, like corporate picnics, weddings, parties... you know, stuff like that. They rent out the place and that helps with the taxes and maintenance and stuff."

"Weddings?"

Bryan stopped in front of a door. "Yeah, you know—" he stopped when he saw the sly smile Wyatt was giving him.

He felt his body flush with need for the smaller man next to him. Damn, Wyatt looked really good. He couldn't believe Wyatt had really said yes, especially with so many people watching. He lifted his thumb from where he was holding Wyatt's hand and brushed it over the soft tanned leather.

"Yeah, I think that would be a great idea," Bryan finally said, having read Wyatt's look. He squeezed Wyatt's hand as he knocked on the door.

"What the hell is wrong now, Simon?" a voice called from inside.

Bryan and Wyatt both chuckled as Bryan opened his mother's office door.

"It's not, Simon, mom."

"Oh! Oh, I-I'm so sorry." A tall woman rose from the desk flustered. Her short, curly hair was a soft brown, unlike Bryan's darker hair. Her delicate fingers pressed against her lips, obviously embarrassed by her previous statement, especially with company.

"It's fine, mom. Wyatt and I just wanted to come talk to you for a bit."

"Yes, yes, of course, sweetheart." She greeted him with a kiss to the cheek as she came around her desk. Then she turned to Wyatt, offering a warm smile. "It's nice to see you again, Wyatt. Bryan talks about you all the time at our lunches."

Bryan watched his fiancé flush with embarrassment. "I hope it's all good stuff, ma'am."

"Oh forget that ma'am stuff. It's Carol. Here, let me take your coat and hat." Wyatt shrugged out of his coat and handed over his fedora as Bryan slipped his leather jacket from his shoulders. "Come. Let's go sit in the living room."

As they settled on the couch, Bryan took Wyatt's hand in his. His mother looked askance at the gesture as she settled into the rocking chair nearby.

"Mom, we have something to tell you," Bryan started, watching his mother's eyes widen slightly. "Yesterday, I..." he turned and stared into Wyatt's soft honey eyes gazing back at him with utter adoration. He cleared his throat. "Yesterday, I asked—"

"Oh!" his mother's hand flew to her mouth, her eyes widening in realization. For a second, Bryan thought he saw horror in her eyes, but knew it had to have just been the shock and surprise as she slowly smiled. "You asked him to marry you, didn't you?"

Bryan nodded excitedly, glad to see his mother taking it well. He had been sure she'd be accepting of Wyatt once she realized how serious he was about the man.

"And you two are happy?" she asked, obviously to reassure herself.

"Yes, very," Bryan said, squeezing Wyatt's hand. "We're moving in together next month. If I can get him to finish packing," Bryan teased.

Wyatt rolled his eyes. "I'm getting to it."

"H-how did you ask him?" his mom asked curiously. Bryan knew that she hadn't thought he was truly that committed to Wyatt, even though he'd talked to her about wanted to propose. It was why he'd wanted to bring Wyatt with him today, to make sure she understood that this was it. This was what he wanted.

Bryan beamed. "I asked at the park by his apartment. I know how much he loves the outdoors, since he likes to hike all the time, so I wanted to do it somewhere special for him. Several of his students were there when I did. It was pretty funny."

"It was," Wyatt agreed with a small laugh. "It was perfect."

Bryan couldn't help leaning over and taking a small kiss from those enticing lips. A discreet clearing of the throat brought him back to the fact his mother watching. Wyatt dipped his head as Bryan pulled back with a grin. His mother looked slightly embarrassed at their intimate display, but smiled anyway.

"I see you didn't even give him an engagement ring," his mother chastised. "What kind of promise is that?"

Bryan chuckled at his mother. "Guys don't always do engagement rings, mom."

"Well, how do I know that?" she said, tossing her hands in the air teasingly.

"We'll do rings together at the wedding," Bryan explained. "I gave him this yesterday."

Bryan lifted his lover's wrist to proudly show off the token of his promise. He saw the moment his mother's full acceptance dawned on her face. He wasn't sure what to make of the expression, but the soft smile that finally appeared eased his mind.

"It's beautiful, sweetheart," she admired. Her dark blue eyes landed on Wyatt. "My son must really care for you. I must admit, until now, I wasn't sure how much he really meant it all these months he told me he was in love." Bryan swelled with pride when his mother gripped Wyatt's hand. "I'm so glad he found someone he cares so much about."

"Thank you ma'am," Wyatt blushed.

"Carol, please," she smiled. "We're practically family."

Bryan felt Wyatt relax next to him and felt his own tension slip away. He'd known that Wyatt was anxious about how his mother would react, but hopefully he knew now that he had nothing to worry about.

"Speaking of family, have you told yours?" his mother asked his fiance.

"No, actually, my parents passed away when I was younger. I lived in a few foster homes before moving out to live on my own," Wyatt admitted.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." His mother's voice was sad and consoling but perked up with a smile. "But now you'll have Bryan, me and his brother Eddie for your family."

"Thank you, I'd like that very much."

"Have you told your brother?" Bryan felt his mother's eyes berating him. "When was the last time you saw him?"

Bryan sighed. "No, I haven't told him about getting engaged, but I've talked to Eddie about Wyatt. I'm not sure how much he understands. He just asks if I'm happy, mom. And I am."

"Of course, darling. I can see that."

"And I saw him last week. You were busy with that wedding here, so I went alone."

"Oh, good. I'm so glad." She hesitated. "It sounds like you might not have much time to visit him for a while, with the move and planning a wedding and all."

Bryan knew he must have looked guilty.

"You should visit him," Wyatt added.

"I did want you to meet him. Maybe you could come with me?"

"Yeah, sure," Wyatt agreed.

But his mother was shushing them. "Oh, Bryan, there's plenty of time for that. Eddie is a sweet boy, but you know how protective he is. Why don't you two get settled first, then maybe we can bring him to your house to visit, show him you are already together? You know Eddie would accept that easier, seeing Wyatt settled in with you."

Bryan sighed. "He would."

"Don't worry, I'll visit with him while you two are busy moving and planning. I'll let him know that you are going to be living with Wyatt now."

"Married, mom. We're going to be married, not just living together."

"Yes, yes," she pshawed. "I know. You know how Eddie is though."

"Yeah," Bryan sighed heavily. As much as he didn't want to admit it, he knew there was a possibility that Eddie might not take to Wyatt joining their family.

"He just needs to see you together in your own home to make that connection, sweetheart." His mother smiled at him sympathetically. "Just take a couple weeks to get settled. You know Eddie will sense it if you are anxious or upset."

"I know he would, but you know I'd never do anything to purposefully upset him."

"Of course not, dear."

Bryan and his mother stared at each other for several long seconds until he felt his lover shift next to him, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees.

"Mrs. Foxgrove—"

"Carol," she interrupted with a small smirk as she shifted her gaze to Wyatt. "Don't make me tell you again, young man."

Both men chuckled. "Yes, ma'am... I mean, yes, Carol."

"Good." She nodded, like it was finally settled.

"We were thinking that maybe we could have the wedding here," Wyatt stated, and Bryan was relieved for the change of subject. Eddie was a sore point between him and his mother, and they often disagreed on what was best for Eddie. Bryan had even offered to bring Eddie to his own home on the holidays at least, but his mother didn't think it was good for Eddie to be out of the home for more than a few hours.

"Here?" his mother's eyes widened with pride. "Oh, that would be perfect! I'll get Simon to look at our calendar."

"Yeah, I was hoping for something in the next couple months, mom."

"Oh, we only have three or four wedding in the next couple months." She waved off Bryan's concern that there might not be an available weekend before turning back to Wyatt. "Since you like the outdoors, we could do it in the gazebo out in the gardens."

"That sounds nice, Mrs—Carol," Wyatt smiled.

"Oh, you should give me your number, so I can call you about details," she gushed, leaning forward to pat his hand. "I'm sure that Bryan won't be much help in planning."

"Hey, all I care about at the end of the day is that he's mine," Bryan admitted.

"See what I mean?" his mother quirked her delicate brow.

Wyatt chuckled. "Yeah, I do."

Copyright © 2015 craftingmom; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 37
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That went well....I know that Wyatt was very nervous about this visit.....I just hope Carol is as inviting as see seems to project.........Lovely chapter......:) Mike

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Wyatt is very fragile and insecure. Carol's approval meant a great deal to him emotionally. I'm glad that went well. I hope that Bryan can get Wyatt out of that insecurity. I've seen insecure partners ruin wonderful relationships purely out of insecurity and low self worth issues.

 

A wedding at the plantation seems like a great idea It sounds like a beautiful spot for the wedding. Doing the planning will hopefully let Carol and Wyatt bond.

 

It had to have been a hard decision to have Eddie go live in an institutional setting. I'm guessing that it happened after their father died. Just my impression. Those things seem to occur after a death in the family when there are fewer caregivers. I wonder why Carol doesn't want Eddie away from the home more than a few hours. Is it because she fears that he might not want to go back?

Link to comment

It must be so cool to grow up on a plantation that is so historic there are guided tours and weddings and other events going on.

 

I'm so glad Bryan's mom seems pretty cool with her son marrying Wyatt. I hope her enthusiasm is genuine, otherwise it's going to really hurt Bryan and bring Wyatt's self-esteem down even further.

 

Great chapter, Mom! :)

Link to comment

The way Bryan described his mom, I was expecting her to be a little less receptive to their wedding news. Because Wyatt was so nervous, I'm glad it went well, but I can't help wondering if her good graces will continue as they plan the wedding.
That was a petty picture you painted of the plantation.

Link to comment

Meeting with mom went far better than I'd anticipated...or has it? I'm questioning how much of what she said/did were merely superb social skills coming in to play and maybe there are issues ahead from her.
The same thing is true of how she's proposing dealing with his brother. Was that truly done to protect brother? Or just a method of holding Eddie an emotional "hostage" to be redeemed later? We'll see.
Regardless, fun well-told tale so far, and definitely ready for the next chapter!

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Reading about the plantation house with its public and private family areas brought back a wonderful memory from my childhood. There's a house near where I grew up that is set up just like it. I remember being fascinated by the juxtaposition (not that I understood the concept at the time) of past and present living spaces because in one area, visitors could see both.
Bryan's mom seems to be quite accepting of his relationship with Wyatt which nice to see.
I liked that she picked up on his love of the outdoors by suggesting an outdoor wedding.
And as to "When will things hit the fan...?" As Puppilull so succinctly put it, I guess we will have to wait and see, won't we?

Link to comment
On 07/28/2015 04:31 AM, flamingo136 said:

That went well....I know that Wyatt was very nervous about this visit.....I just hope Carol is as inviting as see seems to project.........Lovely chapter......:) Mike

:) Glad you enjoyed it... a couple more lead in chapters before the s*** hits the fan...

Link to comment
On 07/28/2015 05:00 AM, Puppilull said:

Smooth sailing so far. When will things hit the fan...?

hehe, a couple more chapters of 'build up' then...splat!

Link to comment
On 07/28/2015 05:17 AM, drpaladin said:

Wyatt is very fragile and insecure. Carol's approval meant a great deal to him emotionally. I'm glad that went well. I hope that Bryan can get Wyatt out of that insecurity. I've seen insecure partners ruin wonderful relationships purely out of insecurity and low self worth issues.

 

A wedding at the plantation seems like a great idea It sounds like a beautiful spot for the wedding. Doing the planning will hopefully let Carol and Wyatt bond.

 

It had to have been a hard decision to have Eddie go live in an institutional setting. I'm guessing that it happened after their father died. Just my impression. Those things seem to occur after a death in the family when there are fewer caregivers. I wonder why Carol doesn't want Eddie away from the home more than a few hours. Is it because she fears that he might not want to go back?

Yes, Eddie was moved to the care facility when their father died because Carol couldn't do it on her own and Bryan was at work during the day to be of any help. Eddie will come into the story a bit later, but I can't say much more without giving things away.

Link to comment
On 07/28/2015 12:59 PM, Lisa said:

It must be so cool to grow up on a plantation that is so historic there are guided tours and weddings and other events going on.

 

I'm so glad Bryan's mom seems pretty cool with her son marrying Wyatt. I hope her enthusiasm is genuine, otherwise it's going to really hurt Bryan and bring Wyatt's self-esteem down even further.

 

Great chapter, Mom! :)

Thanks! I think it would be cool to live in a place like that too. I've always imagined what it might be like.

Link to comment
On 07/28/2015 11:32 PM, Defiance19 said:

The way Bryan described his mom, I was expecting her to be a little less receptive to their wedding news. Because Wyatt was so nervous, I'm glad it went well, but I can't help wondering if her good graces will continue as they plan the wedding.

That was a petty picture you painted of the plantation.

I'm glad you like the images of the plantation. Settings are so not my forte, so if you ever think something needs more details feel free to let me know!

And Carol is the epitome of the Southern matriarch, so she's going to rely on her good manners, even if she's not happy.

Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 12:46 AM, Robert Rex said:

Meeting with mom went far better than I'd anticipated...or has it? I'm questioning how much of what she said/did were merely superb social skills coming in to play and maybe there are issues ahead from her.

The same thing is true of how she's proposing dealing with his brother. Was that truly done to protect brother? Or just a method of holding Eddie an emotional "hostage" to be redeemed later? We'll see.

Regardless, fun well-told tale so far, and definitely ready for the next chapter!

"...or has it?" That would be the question. She is definitely a cultured, southern lady and manners mean a lot to her, even if she's not pleased with what might be happening.

So glad you are enjoying it!

Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 02:43 AM, Reader1810 said:

Reading about the plantation house with its public and private family areas brought back a wonderful memory from my childhood. There's a house near where I grew up that is set up just like it. I remember being fascinated by the juxtaposition (not that I understood the concept at the time) of past and present living spaces because in one area, visitors could see both.

Bryan's mom seems to be quite accepting of his relationship with Wyatt which nice to see.

I liked that she picked up on his love of the outdoors by suggesting an outdoor wedding.

And as to "When will things hit the fan...?" As Puppilull so succinctly put it, I guess we will have to wait and see, won't we?

I think it would be cool to live in an historical house like that too. Things will be coming to a head soon. We're not done seeing Darrin by any means...

Link to comment

Bryan's mother seems like an interesting character, and at least now accepting her son's plans for the marriage, hopefully that'll last. The plantation sounds like a perfect place to have a wedding.

Link to comment
On 10/07/2015 04:24 AM, Suvitar said:

Bryan's mother seems like an interesting character, and at least now accepting her son's plans for the marriage, hopefully that'll last. The plantation sounds like a perfect place to have a wedding.

Bryan's mom is rather interesting. You'll get to know her better as the story progresses. Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Link to comment

For some reason I'm getting 'Mommy Dearest" vibes from Bryans mother..I don't believe she is the person she wants people to believe she is and she is going to cause trouble somehow..I think when Bryan thought he saw a shock of horror in her eyes that is exactly what it was and she in no way agrees with this wedding..I'm thinking she is going to be more trouble than Wyatt's former boyfriend Darrin.

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..