Jump to content
    Cynus
  • Author
  • 4,034 Words
  • 5,462 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Navigator - 10. Chapter 10

div>
Check out my Patreon for early access to chapters(note:everything started at GA will be released in full at a regular pace. This is early access only, not exclusive access) and exclusive content! https://www.patreon.com/Cynus

Silas' eyes flashed open and he surveyed the room. Waking up on the couch in Ian's living room was going to take some getting used to, even if he had already had three weeks to adjust. He hadn't spent a lot of time in the place, preferring to remain aloof despite Ian's attempts to reconcile their differences. After the initial emotional moment at the diner had passed, Silas had returned to his old feelings, and wasn't looking forward to connecting with anyone.

There was just too much pain to fight through, and not enough evidence to convince him that fighting through that pain was worth it. At least not yet. Silas had stayed, and Ian appeared to be satisfied with that for the moment, giving him the space that he asked for and allowing him the ability to live his life the way that he wanted to. Amy hadn't been as keen as Ian on that subject, but she had yet to step in Silas' way. She had only gone so far as to continue to invite him to have breakfast with them whenever they crossed paths.

But Silas had different plans. He made sure to rise early enough that he beat Amy and Ian out of the house, taking Adelaide for a walk every morning before the sun had even risen. By the time he returned to the house they were both gone to the restaurant for the day, and he had the place to himself. Ian had given him their spare key as soon as he agreed to stay, and Silas treated their home with respect, making sure to avoid touching things he had not previously been granted permission to touch, and avoiding rooms that he knew might be seen as an invasion of privacy, such as their bedroom and Amy's office.

They had told him that he was allowed to eat anything he found in the fridge or the cupboards, provided that he cleaned up after himself, and though he took advantage of that level of generosity he made sure to restrain his appetite to make as little impact as possible. One of the other ways in which they had shown their generosity, however, had made him uncomfortable.

By the end of the first week of sleeping on the couch he had woken up to find a package of boxers waiting for him. He had resisted Ian's first attempt to get him to go shopping for new clothes, and Ian had said nothing about it since then, leading him to believe that it was Amy who had presented him with the gift. He was washing his clothes regularly now, while his hosts were gone, and he hadn't seen any need to acquire additional clothing. Two hours was all he needed in order to get a load of laundry, and though he was happy to have the clean feeling afterward he was more than happy to spend those hours naked. It was refreshing enough to have the house to himself.

But gifts were a different matter. No amount of time spent with Ian and Amy would convince him that he needed their help. He had survived without them or anyone for nearly two years, and he would continue to do so if he ended up leaving. For them to offer him clothing was a sign to him that they didn't trust his ability to survive, and he had a hard time avoiding feeling offended by the gesture.

He had almost left town that day, but he had visited with Adam that night, and Adam had talked him into staying. Adam had done his best to convince Silas that he doubted the gifts were meant to indicate that they had any doubt of his ability, but Silas had only been able to distance himself from the thought and not remove it entirely. In the end he had decided to leave the package of boxers on the coffee table, untouched. He didn't even have to look at the table anymore to know that they would still be there in the morning.

Most mornings he would walk Adelaide to Jenny's house, which was a block away. Jenny was nice and left him alone for the most part, giving him the opportunity to speak to Chelsea over breakfast. Chelsea was withdrawn and quiet most of the time, though Silas was able to get her to speak after spending a few minutes with her. She had come clean about a number of things over the first few days, though most of the details he had already learned from others.

Her full name was Chelsea Simms, and she was the daughter of Pastor Simms, the same homophobic bigot who occupied the pulpit at her church every Sunday. Tara hadn't just been her best friend, but they had been banned from seeing each other for years, ever since Tara left the church. They had been meeting in secret for months before Silas met her, and Tara had been the one to press their relationship at the coffee shop, though Chelsea hadn't pulled away.

Officer Higgins had attempted to intervene on Pastor Simms' behalf, but she had been reprimanded instead as the police department began an investigation into the Pastor's activities and what happened between him and his daughter. Although the Pastor had been arrested, he had been released on bail pending a full investigation. Mrs. Simms had supported Chelsea's story, much to Chelsea's surprise, but had then told the police that she would stand by her husband's side as he was investigated. It was a perplexing situation for Silas, but it had been decided by CPS that it would be best for Chelsea to remain in foster care until the investigation was completed, rather than Pastor Simms and Chelsea share the same space.

Tara had been more informative than Chelsea, and had told Silas a lot of their history. Silas spent the afternoons with both girls while they worked on homework, unless Chelsea had a doctor's appointment or was otherwise occupied. Tara was talkative and animated as she spoke of her favorite bands, sharing her love of music with Silas, but while Silas responded easily his attention was on the subdued Chelsea who only seemed to listen and never seemed to participate.

He wasn't sure what to do for Chelsea, but he was determined to find something. He didn't like the look he saw in her eyes; the depression and the guilt. She blamed herself for what had happened with her father, although Silas couldn't understand why. There was no way that she could be held responsible for being who she was, but Silas didn't know how to tell her that. He wasn't sure she'd listen even if he did find a way.

Saturday brought the situation to the forefront of his mind. He wasn't going to beat around the bush anymore, and he was going to confront Chelsea on the issue directly. He and Tara had made plans in secret to work on Chelsea as soon as she returned from her doctor's appointment that she'd be going to first thing in the morning. Silas wasn't going to visit her for breakfast with his intention to spend the rest of the day with her, and he took the time to go jogging with Adelaide while he finalized his thoughts on how to approach Chelsea on her depression.

Adelaide was glad to have the exercise, but Silas was tired by the time he stopped running and staggered back to Ian's house. He hadn't gone on a run specifically to work out in a long time, and he cursed the fact that he was getting out of shape. There had been a time in his life when he had been able to run with the best of them, but that was long gone now, buried beneath his nearly two years of malnutrition and poor sleep.

Silas approached the door and placed his key in the lock but found that the doorknob turned easily instead. Someone was still home. He sighed and looked back to the street and wondered if he should stay away until they left, but his stomach growled and the decision was made for him. He was back to being used to eating regularly, and he knew that both he and Adelaide needed water after their run. With grim determination to not give any ground if confronted by Ian or Amy, he opened the door and stepped inside.

The screech of a tea kettle and the sound of dishes clattering together signaled that someone was in the kitchen, and he was forced to reconsider his position again. He still had an uneaten protein bar and a bottle of water in his backpack that he could use to avoid whoever was home, but as he was considering the option Amy poked her head around the open doorway to the kitchen and said, "Oh, you're back. I was just about to sit down for tea. Would you like a cup?"

Adelaide pulled at the leash in his hand and he instinctively let it go. No matter the law in the town, he would never get used to leading Adelaide on a leash. She trotted toward the kitchen where a water dish was waiting for her and he sighed as he met Amy's eyes and nodded.

"It's going to be hot, but you look like you just took a run. I'll get you some cool water first while your tea cools," Amy said with a pleasant smile.

"Thanks," Silas replied as he followed Adelaide into the kitchen. She was thirstily lapping up the water in her bowl, and eyeing the full food dish next to it every so often. Silas slipped into one of the chairs at the table that sat in the center of the small dining room attached to the kitchen as Amy set a glass of cool tap water in front of him before returning her focus to the tea.

"How was the exercise?" Amy asked, keeping her back to Silas. He considered not answering, but then she turned and looked at him expectantly.

"It was all right. Adelaide enjoyed herself, but I haven't had a good run in a while and I'm worn out," Silas replied. "I've gotten plenty of exercise in, with walking and hiking, but there hasn't been enough time for exercise just to exercise."

Amy nodded and was about to respond when the toaster popped up and she retrieved the two pieces of bread and slid them onto a plate. She then retrieved a jar of peanut butter from the cupboard and coated both pieces of toast before adding honey to one of them. After closing the sandwich she set it on the table in front of Silas and winked at him. "I know you normally eat breakfast with Chelsea, but my mother called and said you didn't make it over this morning. I had two pieces of bread left and figured that I could make you a sandwich before you decided that you only needed a banana for breakfast like last Saturday."

"Um, thanks," Silas said, as he looked at the sandwich. "You didn't have to do that."

"I know," Amy replied, "Believe me, I know you can take care of yourself, but I like to feed people. It's one of the reasons I supported Ian buying the restaurant."

Silas nodded and picked up the sandwich, eating it hungrily despite his misgivings about accepting gifts. He completely ignored Amy as she prepared two cups of tea and set one in front of him before sitting across from him and taking a sip of her own tea. He finished the sandwich quickly and when he finished he wiped his mouth on a napkin he hadn't even realized was next to him.

"Have you thought about what you're going to do next, Silas?" Amy asked, and he looked up at her and blinked several times. Her face was expressionless, and he had nothing to go off of to indicate if she expected a specific answer or not.

"Not really," Silas replied with a shrug. "I'm not really used to making decisions until I'm faced with them, and then I just kind of run by instinct, you know?"

"I suppose that makes sense," Amy replied with a soft smile. "You know, we really want you to stay."

"So I've been told," Silas replied neutrally. "I'm not sure why you're bringing it up again, though."

"Because regardless of what Ian says, I think you need to talk about it, and you can't hide from it anymore," Amy replied, reaching out for his shoulder. Silas pulled back instinctively, and she retracted her hand. "I think it would be good for you to have some stability for once. There is a lot of good that will come out of it for you."

"I've been doing quite all right on my own for the last little while," Silas replied with a smirk, "Why would stability change that? I've survived, I've fed myself and clothed myself. I've made ends meet."

"There's more to life than that, Silas," Amy said sadly. "I mean, what do you want to do with the rest of your life? Don't you have any interest in becoming something? Maybe going to college and getting a degree?"

"They don't just let anyone go to college," Silas said with a shake of his head. "Especially not someone who missed out on half of high school. I'm not exactly on track to graduate."

"Have you heard of a GED?" Amy asked. Silas hesitated as he realized he had been baited. The look in Amy's eyes said it all. She had been trying to get him to talk about his future, and specifically about continuing his education. It was a good intention, though he wasn't sure he appreciated someone trying to tell him that they knew better than he did about how to run his own life.

"Are you trying to imply that I have to get an education in order to have a life?" Silas asked, unable to keep the edge from his voice. "Are you saying that all of the work I've done over the past two years of taking care of myself isn't good enough? I'm happy, all right? I've done plenty, I've seen things few people my age have ever seen, and I did it all through my own hard work."

"I'm not belittling any of that, Silas," Amy said, smiling encouragingly. "I'm just trying to help you consider your options. If you want to continue the life that you've been living, that's your choice, and both Ian and I would support you, but . . ." She trailed off as she met his eyes, seeing his agitation increasing.

Silas sighed and calmed himself before asking patiently, "But what?"

"You're a very smart person, Silas," Amy went on as she stood and walked to the stove. She poured herself another cup of tea before raising the kettle as she turned around to face him, asking him with her eyebrows if he would like another cup himself. He shook his head and she set the kettle down before she retook her seat and sipped from her cup. As the cup clattered back against the saucer in her hand she continued, "I think that you have a great deal of untapped potential, that if you took the time to explore it you'd find that your possibilities are nearly limitless. The first time I laid eyes on you was the night you brought Chelsea to us. Do you know what I saw then?"

Silas began listening with rapt attention. He shook his head numbly and gestured for her to continue before absent-mindedly reaching for the teacup in front of him. He didn't lift it, but held his hand against it, feeling the warmth that was suddenly paired with the gentleness that he saw in Amy's eyes as she lifted them back to meet his.

"I saw a boy who had risked everything to save a girl's life. He had risked coming back to the brother he had run from; risked facing his past, and people he thought had abandoned him. That boy, who kept one hand on the door as he waited to make sure that everything was going to be okay for Chelsea," Amy's eyes were moist as she paused to take another sip of tea, and when she attempted to continue she suppressed a sob before she could speak. "You are quite the remarkable young man, Silas. You're loyal to those close to you, you're smart about how to survive and who to trust, and you're willing to go to great lengths to see to it that the people you care about are taken care of when they need you. That's rare to find in anyone, but especially a teenager."

"Why are you telling me all of this?" Silas asked, "I'm not any of those things that you describe. I'm just a kid trying to survive, and hoping I don't get burned along the way. The world sucks. It sucks a lot more than it should."

"That's exactly the point, Silas," Amy replied meekly. "I think that we, as humans, need to stick together. I think that we need to help each other and to love each other. I think that the only way we can make the world suck a little less is by learning to do that. Sometimes, all that takes is a little trust."

Silas shook his head in wonder and looked down at Adelaide, who was watching him with eyes that seemed to be filled with concern, though it was sometimes difficult to tell her moods. He returned to look at the teacup in front of him that still held his untouched tea. He picked it up and looked at the brown liquid, and then smelled its vapors, feeling the warmth of the cup in his hands. As he put the cup to his lips and sipped the warm liquid, he tasted the refreshing earthiness of the Earl Grey. As the tea slid down his throat it began to warm him instantly, and he looked back at Amy who was smiling at him.

"How's the tea?" She asked when he set the cup back down on the table.

"Better now that I've had some of it," Silas said with a grin. "So, how'd you know that I preferred boxers?"

Amy chuckled and set her tea down on the table before opening her arms wide. "It's a trick I know about men. I've dated enough in my life to be able to tell what kind of underwear they wear before they even ask me out."

Silas winked at her and said, "Nice try, but I know that look in your eyes all too well. You just guessed didn't you?"

"Guilty as charged!" Amy said with a laugh. "I hope you don't mind the present. You've got to be getting sick of wearing the same pair every day."

"Honestly, I forgot that it was even a weird thing to do. I change out my clothing as they wear out. That's how I've had to live for the last little while," Silas replied with a shrug. "Neither money for buying new things nor space to store them are easy to come by when you're homeless."

"That's not something you have to worry about anymore if you don't want to," Amy said. "That's what I've been trying to tell you. You can stay as long as you want. Forever even. Ian doesn't want you to go."

"I'll think about it," Silas said with a shrug, and when Amy sighed he quickly added, "Don't think that I'm not incredibly grateful for the offer, Amy. Take this to heart, I'm here for now, and I don't take my backpack when I leave. I might just stay yet, especially if the tea remains as pleasant as this."

"And what about the company?" Amy asked with a twinkle in her eye. "Is that pleasant enough for you?"

"More than enough," Silas replied with a grin. "I could get used to this. I'm just not sure I'm ready for it yet."

"Well when you are, just let me know. And Silas . . ." Amy paused and met his eyes again. "We really would like to take care of you a little more. You're family, okay? I know that word doesn't sit well with you anymore, but Armistead Maupin once described two kinds of families, biological and logical. The logical ones are the ones that support you and love you unconditionally. I support you in whatever you decide, Silas, and so does Ian. I really hope you'll think about it."

"I will," Silas replied with a nod. "And Amy?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks for the talk," Silas said, grinning. "I'm going to go check on Chelsea now. Since it's a Saturday, she won't be going to school, and Tara and I already had plans to surprise her."

"Tell her hello for me, will you?" Amy said with a pleasant smile. "I haven't seen her in a few days, but of course my mother has been telling me how she's been progressing. She said that Chelsea has been kind of sad and in general unresponsive. Has it been the same for you?"

"Yeah," Silas replied, "I mean, she talks, but there's always a distance between us, you know? Like she's afraid to face what's happening to her."

"Well, if there's anyone that could help her, it's . . ."

Silas interrupted Amy by saying, "Me?"

"No, actually I was going to say 'my mother', but yeah, you're pretty good for that too, now that I think about it," Amy said with a grin. "My mother went through hell with my father. He was an abusive drunk who landed himself in prison once he got loud enough that the neighbors were sick of hearing him beat on my mother. She had Stockholm syndrome for a while, but she's doing much better now. Church helped her a lot."

"If you say so," Silas muttered, "I've never put much faith in church helping anyone. And look what it did to Chelsea!"

"Not all church-going folk are like Pastor Simms," Amy replied with a level look, "After that tragic suicide at the church, and what Pastor Simms said about that boy . . ." She shuddered and looked away from Silas briefly. "My mother couldn't keep going there. Now Pastor Simms has taken over the congregation and apparently his abuse of the pulpit wasn't enough for him. Now he has to abuse his own daughter! How shameful!"

"There was a suicide at the church?" Silas asked as he rose to leave.

"Yeah, Daniel Winters," Amy said with another shudder, "Pastor Gregory was the one that found him hanging from the rafters in the toolshed. He left a note saying that he was 'gay and he was ashamed before god' or some other nonsense like that. It's terrible what some people do to kids to convince them to do things like that to themselves. It's one of the most tragic things I can imagine. Pastor Simms was a junior pastor then, and he's the one who delivered the 'eulogy'. It wasn't pretty. He may have started off with comfort to the family but he immediately switched to fire and brimstone about how Daniel was better off dead than living in sin. Mom and I left the church after that, but my mother attends the First Presbyterian Church now, and they welcome the LGBT community with open arms, though there aren't many who are out in this town, and fewer who are Christian."

"Wow, that's awful," Silas whispered, "At least I never had things that bad."

"Some people aren't as lucky, I guess," Amy said with a forced smile, "Or perhaps you just found a different way to escape."

"Maybe," Silas said with a nod. "I've got to go."

"I really hope you'll join us for dinner at the diner," Amy said as Silas paused in the doorway. "You should bring Chelsea and Tara too. We'd love to see them both."

Check out my Patreon for early access to chapters(note:everything started at GA will be released in full at a regular pace. This is early access only, not exclusive access) and exclusive content(stories posted only at Patreon as of this posting)! https://www.patreon.com/Cynus

Special thanks to my patrons for their support: Michael, Charlie, Bill, Paul, Matt, James, Shadow, Joe, Bart, John, Mark, Sam, Pete, Richmond, Scott, Frank, Amr, Haldon, Jay, Mark, Joel, Steve, Don, Jos, Peter, Chris, Heiko, Jeff, Raymond, Ganymedes, Jerod, Mike, Craig, Jack, Pooven, Caleb, Joey, and YOUR NAME HERE. You're all awesome!

Updated: 5/24/2018

Copyright © 2015 Cynus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 57
  • Love 7
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I'm concerned by Chelsea's demeanor. It appears that she does feel responsible for everything that happened. This is common in child abuse cases. If I could have only been better, this wouldn't have happened. She has been surrounded by that man's propaganda all her life. It will take time to work through that. Being withdrawn and depressed for this length of time raises the concern of suicide and it is a real possibility.

 

Simms, he is no true pastor, is a malignant blight on this community. After hearing what he had the nerve to do at that poor boy's funeral and being the indirect cause of his death, let's just say he's very lucky I don't live there and leave it at that. Moving on... It was good to hear that Officer Higgins was reprimanded. I was sad to see Chelsea's mother still exhibiting ambivalence over the situation. Kick the scum out on his ass. Don't stand by him.

 

It was good to see, by the end of the chapter, Silas starting to warm to this idea of a 'logical family.' Silas, while he is bright and instinctively good at heart, has been totally aimless for the past two years. His sole goal has been survival. As Amy pointed out to him, he has so much potential that shouldn't be wasted. Silas needs to become the true navigator of his life. A real navigator has a worthy destination in mind.

 

This was another excellent chapter.

Link to comment

Another fantastic chapter! I know its impatient of me, but I already can't wait for the next installment!

Link to comment

Not much I can add to dr's excellent summary. I suppose the 'doctor' Chelsea is seeing regularly is a therapist for her depression.

I also assume Tara and Chelsea has been meeting in secret ever since Chelsea was banned from seeing Tara, but maybe you do mean they've only been meeting for the past months ? If so I wonder how they happened to meet again.

Were Adam involved with Daniel? Or perhaps he regrets not helping him when he had the chance? It seems to fit with the hints of his issues in the past.

Silas definitely needs to think about the future rather than living from day to day. But it's hard to change a hitherto successful strategy.

Link to comment

I really liked that idea of a logical family. Sure, blood ties can be fantastic, but you can also build your own family and choose from the heart.

 

Good thing for Silas that he is opening up a bit. Letting someone in. Trust is difficult, but the rewards can be great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I really appreciate the slow progress to trust Silas is going through. It shows realism and a depth that sets this story apart from others. Hopefully Amy and Ian don't push too hard (but just hard enough). Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to seeing how Chelsea handles the upcoming intervention.

Link to comment

It's a good thing that Chelsea is not in the same house as her abuser, but how her mother could stand by him and allow her into foster care? Unless she's being treated to some form of abuse herself, I don't understand her.

I like that Amy was giving Silas advice and suggestions, letting him know she sees his worth. All the while giving him the option to basically take it or leave it, that way the choice he makes to stay or go is his, and he's not feeling cornered. Small steps to building trust between them, because we know Silas wants to be wanted and the do so want him.

Link to comment

Ditto Tim. Dr wrote such a great review and he is so right. The child feels the guilt for causing the "parent" to abuse him/her. The child also feels ashamed and humiliated and won't tell anyone what's going on for fear of being blamed for it, or worse yet, for fear of people not believing him/her.

 

From the time Chelsea was introduced in the story, she had had a bubbly personality. She was friendly, generous, and had a good sense of humor. Now she's just a shell of that girl. All due to her asshole sperm donor.

 

I hope at least Tara and Silas can get a glimmer of a smile out of her.

 

Loved the talk between Amy and Silas. Amy does really get him. :) I hope Silas decides to stay with his "new" family, and learns to love them and love his brother again.

 

Great chapter, Cynus! :)

Link to comment
On 05/27/2015 04:15 PM, drpaladin said:
I'm concerned by Chelsea's demeanor. It appears that she does feel responsible for everything that happened. This is common in child abuse cases. If I could have only been better, this wouldn't have happened. She has been surrounded by that man's propaganda all her life. It will take time to work through that. Being withdrawn and depressed for this length of time raises the concern of suicide and it is a real possibility.

 

Simms, he is no true pastor, is a malignant blight on this community. After hearing what he had the nerve to do at that poor boy's funeral and being the indirect cause of his death, let's just say he's very lucky I don't live there and leave it at that. Moving on... It was good to hear that Officer Higgins was reprimanded. I was sad to see Chelsea's mother still exhibiting ambivalence over the situation. Kick the scum out on his ass. Don't stand by him.

 

It was good to see, by the end of the chapter, Silas starting to warm to this idea of a 'logical family.' Silas, while he is bright and instinctively good at heart, has been totally aimless for the past two years. His sole goal has been survival. As Amy pointed out to him, he has so much potential that shouldn't be wasted. Silas needs to become the true navigator of his life. A real navigator has a worthy destination in mind.

 

This was another excellent chapter.

I don't know how to respond to this in ways that wouldn't spoil anything, and so I might just have to leave it alone. :) You'll learn soon enough just how far the rabbit hole goes.

 

Thanks for the review!

Link to comment
On 05/27/2015 04:15 PM, drpaladin said:
I'm concerned by Chelsea's demeanor. It appears that she does feel responsible for everything that happened. This is common in child abuse cases. If I could have only been better, this wouldn't have happened. She has been surrounded by that man's propaganda all her life. It will take time to work through that. Being withdrawn and depressed for this length of time raises the concern of suicide and it is a real possibility.

 

Simms, he is no true pastor, is a malignant blight on this community. After hearing what he had the nerve to do at that poor boy's funeral and being the indirect cause of his death, let's just say he's very lucky I don't live there and leave it at that. Moving on... It was good to hear that Officer Higgins was reprimanded. I was sad to see Chelsea's mother still exhibiting ambivalence over the situation. Kick the scum out on his ass. Don't stand by him.

 

It was good to see, by the end of the chapter, Silas starting to warm to this idea of a 'logical family.' Silas, while he is bright and instinctively good at heart, has been totally aimless for the past two years. His sole goal has been survival. As Amy pointed out to him, he has so much potential that shouldn't be wasted. Silas needs to become the true navigator of his life. A real navigator has a worthy destination in mind.

 

This was another excellent chapter.

I don't know how to respond to this in ways that wouldn't spoil anything, and so I might just have to leave it alone. :) You'll learn soon enough just how far the rabbit hole goes.

 

Thanks for the review!

Link to comment
On 05/27/2015 04:15 PM, drpaladin said:
I'm concerned by Chelsea's demeanor. It appears that she does feel responsible for everything that happened. This is common in child abuse cases. If I could have only been better, this wouldn't have happened. She has been surrounded by that man's propaganda all her life. It will take time to work through that. Being withdrawn and depressed for this length of time raises the concern of suicide and it is a real possibility.

 

Simms, he is no true pastor, is a malignant blight on this community. After hearing what he had the nerve to do at that poor boy's funeral and being the indirect cause of his death, let's just say he's very lucky I don't live there and leave it at that. Moving on... It was good to hear that Officer Higgins was reprimanded. I was sad to see Chelsea's mother still exhibiting ambivalence over the situation. Kick the scum out on his ass. Don't stand by him.

 

It was good to see, by the end of the chapter, Silas starting to warm to this idea of a 'logical family.' Silas, while he is bright and instinctively good at heart, has been totally aimless for the past two years. His sole goal has been survival. As Amy pointed out to him, he has so much potential that shouldn't be wasted. Silas needs to become the true navigator of his life. A real navigator has a worthy destination in mind.

 

This was another excellent chapter.

I don't know how to respond to this in ways that wouldn't spoil anything, and so I might just have to leave it alone. :) You'll learn soon enough just how far the rabbit hole goes.

 

Thanks for the review!

Link to comment
On 05/27/2015 05:58 PM, jkeele777 said:
Another fantastic chapter! I know its impatient of me, but I already can't wait for the next installment!
Just under 30 hours at this point. :)
Link to comment
On 05/28/2015 05:52 AM, Timothy M. said:
Not much I can add to dr's excellent summary. I suppose the 'doctor' Chelsea is seeing regularly is a therapist for her depression.

I also assume Tara and Chelsea has been meeting in secret ever since Chelsea was banned from seeing Tara, but maybe you do mean they've only been meeting for the past months ? If so I wonder how they happened to meet again.

Were Adam involved with Daniel? Or perhaps he regrets not helping him when he had the chance? It seems to fit with the hints of his issues in the past.

Silas definitely needs to think about the future rather than living from day to day. But it's hard to change a hitherto successful strategy.

Yes, but changes are definitely in store. As to what those changes are, I'll have to leave open to speculation.
Link to comment
On 05/28/2015 06:50 AM, Puppilull said:
I really liked that idea of a logical family. Sure, blood ties can be fantastic, but you can also build your own family and choose from the heart.

 

Good thing for Silas that he is opening up a bit. Letting someone in. Trust is difficult, but the rewards can be great.

The great thing about a logical family is that you can include anyone you want, even those you have blood ties with. :) Ian and Amy are good people. :)
Link to comment
On 05/28/2015 08:15 AM, Rebelghost85 said:
I really appreciate the slow progress to trust Silas is going through. It shows realism and a depth that sets this story apart from others. Hopefully Amy and Ian don't push too hard (but just hard enough). Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to seeing how Chelsea handles the upcoming intervention.
Thank you for the compliment. :)

 

When I first began writing this story, I had no idea what Silas' exact path through his emotions was going to be. I could take him so many different ways.

 

But I have a method that seems to work pretty well. When I write from a character's perspective I do everything I can to become that character mentally, and to think through how I would react in the same scenarios if I had their backgrounds and feelings.

Link to comment
On 05/28/2015 11:41 AM, Defiance19 said:
It's a good thing that Chelsea is not in the same house as her abuser, but how her mother could stand by him and allow her into foster care? Unless she's being treated to some form of abuse herself, I don't understand her.

I like that Amy was giving Silas advice and suggestions, letting him know she sees his worth. All the while giving him the option to basically take it or leave it, that way the choice he makes to stay or go is his, and he's not feeling cornered. Small steps to building trust between them, because we know Silas wants to be wanted and the do so want him.

Amy is one smart woman, but in writing I was often curious if she had met her match in Silas. I won't tell you the outcome, but I do promise there's plenty more to come.

 

As for Chelsea's mother . . . Stockholm Syndrome is a very real and terrible thing.

Link to comment
On 05/28/2015 01:15 PM, Lisa said:
Ditto Tim. Dr wrote such a great review and he is so right. The child feels the guilt for causing the "parent" to abuse him/her. The child also feels ashamed and humiliated and won't tell anyone what's going on for fear of being blamed for it, or worse yet, for fear of people not believing him/her.

 

From the time Chelsea was introduced in the story, she had had a bubbly personality. She was friendly, generous, and had a good sense of humor. Now she's just a shell of that girl. All due to her asshole sperm donor.

 

I hope at least Tara and Silas can get a glimmer of a smile out of her.

 

Loved the talk between Amy and Silas. Amy does really get him. :) I hope Silas decides to stay with his "new" family, and learns to love them and love his brother again.

 

Great chapter, Cynus! :)

Thanks, Lisa!

 

Chelsea does have a lot to work through now, and Pastor Simms has certainly made a lasting impact on her life. Only time is going to tell exactly what will happen. :)

 

But you're right, she does have Tara and Silas there. She's bound to smile again.

Link to comment

The story is incredible. It keeps getting better. I am reading faster and faster but I fear I will reach the end of the story and there will be no more. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story.

Link to comment
On 07/26/2015 04:58 AM, pant1111 said:

The story is incredible. It keeps getting better. I am reading faster and faster but I fear I will reach the end of the story and there will be no more. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story.

Thank you for reading it. :) The great thing about stories is that there is always room for a sequel, even if you have to come from a different angle. There will eventually be more, and I hope that this story will convince you to check out some of my other stories while you're waiting. :) Thanks again!

Link to comment

I hope Chelsea starts feeling better soon, she sounds very depressed. Amy´s lovely, she really cares about Silas and wants him to stay.
Brilliant chapter!

Link to comment
On 09/06/2015 05:35 AM, Suvitar said:

I hope Chelsea starts feeling better soon, she sounds very depressed. Amy´s lovely, she really cares about Silas and wants him to stay.

Brilliant chapter!

Amy's amazing. :) She's one of my favorites.

Link to comment
On 09/08/2015 04:12 AM, Fae Briona said:

Enjoying the story so far. Great character development.

Thank you. :D

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..